Start by marking “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” as Want to Read:
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  25,867 ratings  ·  1,005 reviews
Dynamic and inspirational, FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY is filled with concrete techniques to turn passivity into assertiveness. Dr. Susan Jeffers, teaches you how to stop negative thinking patterns and reeducate your mind to think more positively. You will learn: the vital 10-Step Positive Thinking Process; how to risk a little every day; how to turn every decision into ...more
Published August 25th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, please sign up.
An You can order it at the library free.

·  25,867 ratings  ·  1,005 reviews

Start your review of Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
Katya Kean
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I was afraid to leave this review, but I did it anyway. Kidding.

Really, though, this book is probably really important for some people. Women, especially. Women leaving relationships, I'd imagine. The first two chapters are pretty neat. They highlight an important truth that you can't wait for the fear to go away before you do something.

I know that this book influenced a lot of other books I've liked.

The 3 stars instead of 4 or 5 is partially because of sentences like these:
[This] "Higher Self
Tommy
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girlfriend in grad school gave me this book, shortly before we parted ways, in fact. It was a real eye-opener to me that I lived much of my life hovering around the perimeter of the pool rather than jumping in with both feet.

Most eye-opening for me, though, was it was the first time I had been taught that fear was fine - embrace it, don't dodge it. Then, walk through the fire anyway.

I'm not saying I turned into Russell Crowe from "Gladiator" because of it. I'm still more Woody Allen from
Greg Stearns
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
The book starts off with a pretty decent premise which is entirely summed up in the title.

Things will always be scary until you master them, then there will be something new to be afraid of so instead of eliminating your fear you should be working on pushing through. There are some decent ideas and suggestions in the first couple chapters, but it goes downhill for the rest of the book.

Between the constant ads for her other products (Inspirational Audios, books of affirmations, etc) and the
Rori Rockman
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Man. How do you rate a book that steadily devolves from five stars down to one star?

This starts out as a five star book. The first few chapters of this book have probably altered my world view permanently. Here's the gist of what really hit home for me:

At the heart of every fear we have is one single fear: "I can't handle it." This is an absolute revelation, at least to me, because it means that there is one reliable (though still not easy) formula to be used for overcoming fear: convince
Jj873
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to feel that they control their life, it doesn't control them.
Recommended to Jj873 by: random find by my mom
Having lived most of my life with debilitating Panic Disorder (google it if you're curious) this book has done more to put me in charge of my life than all the years of medications, therapy, and all the other self-help books I've read combined.
I encountered this book at the worst point in my mental health struggle (being nearly housebound by agoraphobia - again, google if needed) and truly found it to be a sanity saver!
If it has helped me pull myself back from the brink of desolation too deep
Ladan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology

Neglecting all the ads and promises, the first chapters were helpful in making some self-improvement. The last two chapters are enough to put the book in a sci-fi category, I suffered scanning them.
Moira
"Should be required reading for every person who can read," says Jack Canfield (author of Chicken Soup for the Soul) and I concur. Jeffers has a PhD in Psychology, and her book is full of inspiring calls to action and powerful, accessible techniques to help one take charge of one's life. There are many practical, simple (although not necessarily easy) things one can do to confront fear. Jeffers suggests ways to take small steps, and then what was scary isn't as much, as you gain experience.
Alexandra
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this book 2 weeks ago, and feel compelled to review it.

A few short months ago i took the steps needed to change my life for the better. I was not happy living how i was, i hated my body, i hated myself, all because i was scared of the truth. That truth is that i am transgender.

I admitted to myself that i needed to seek medical help, to rectify my situation, which includes taking hormones and having gender reassignment surgery in the future. I went to the doctor in december
Lucinda
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational

The only way to conquer fear is to face it!

In life, we encounter many trials and tribulations (these may be internal or literal realities) yet the only way to overcome our struggles is to be ‘a tryer’ and try until you overcome the obstacle. There is never a more perfect time than when you’re broken and hit rock bottom, than to give it a crack [uncertain and expectant of failure] is the only way.

Whilst reading this illuminating, informative book I thought about – how everyone seems to judge
Tilda
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd call it a bag of pebbles and pearls. Some stuff a bit overly simplistic and unrealistic, but some real pearls of wisdom as well. It goes beyond the subject of "fear" and encourages a positive attitude and lifestyle in general.

As I mentioned in an earlier review, I'm not a fan of affirmations, and I believe that the underlying problem should be addressed, not masked. And I think her expectations for people to choose to feel positive even under the most dire circumstances (e.g. bereavement or
Ashley
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, favorites
A friend of mine recommended this book to me and at first I was a bit skeptical but fell in love after the first 10 pages. It seems to cover every issue you come across without actually pinpointing one certain issue.

It's a good book to fall back on as a quick picker-upper if you're having a bad day or just feel discouraged. It's helped with my personal life alot and it's something I'm sure to have memorized within the next 10 years.

Nick
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sir Ken Thompson recommended this book in his, The Element. I picked it up with some trepidation, because the whole idea sounded so simple. But it's a top-notch self-help book, about a whole lot more than just fear. Jeffers covers the whole waterfront of ineffectual behavior and patiently tells you how to stop it and replace it with better behavior. If you're stuck at any point with fears, resentments, bottled up anger, and so on, this book will help (if you let it).
Elicia
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great book for everyone even if you don't think the title applies to you.
Sometimes the only way to overcome the fear and feel better about yourself is to just go out and do it. But it also talks about taking more control of your life instead of indecision ruling because of being afraid of making mistakes. Tells you how to move from a position of pain ("It's not my fault, I'm never satisfied, It's terrible") to one of power ("I'm totally responsible, I want to learn and grow, It's a learning
Kirsty ❤️
To shake things up a bit for our radio book club shows we decided to read a regular book but also some kind of factual one

My copy proudly declares it’s a 20th anniversary edition so my first concern was if it would still be relevant in today’s society and after reading through it I would say yes. The only really out of bit parts are technological. In one chapter she mentions picking up the phone or writing a letter and getting in touch with people. While still positives to do these days you’re
NancyJ
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first read Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway when I was a young manager, and it made a big difference in how I approached my life and career. I still refer to key points in the book when coaching leaders, students, and anyone facing a change in their life. Susan Jeffers was teaching about crucial aspects of emotional intelligence before Goleman's book popularized the term.
Vaishali
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-improvement
Save yourself the time; you're much better off with Tony Robbins or Brian Tracy.
Rebecca
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed, self-help
Originally published in 1987, this self-help classic was reissued in a 25th anniversary edition in 2012. I looked over it for a proposed comparison article with How to Win Friends and Influence People (later cancelled, alas) and found this one to be more relevant and readable. Jeffers says that at the base of every fear is a belief that “I can’t handle it.” Our fears are either of things that can happen to us (ageing and natural disasters) or of actions we might take (going back to school or ...more
Pam Burzynski
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
A self-help book addict, I've read a ton of them and was pleasantly surprised and "fearless" by the time I finished Feel the Fear....

Hoping for solutions or a "how to" to let go of or conquer "a" fear, I realized this book was much bigger than "a" fear.

You will be relieved to know that Jeffers does not believe that our fears are psychological--phew! Rather she believes our fears are, in most cases, an educational problem, and her book is loaded with ways to help us reeducate our mind.

Not heavy,
Jessica
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Susan Jeffers has a lot of sound, practical advice for taking the step to overcome the nagging fears that are standing in the way of getting to the places you want to be in your life and career.

The first year I was teaching at a university I was really nervous and anxious whenever I stepped into the classroom. I loved what I was doing, but hated not being an expert with years of experience yet. What if a student asked me a question I didn't know the answer to?

I used to read a little bit of
Liam
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
So, this was an alright book. It has some good ideas and good tools for being able to live your life how you want and not being held back by irrational fears, etc. The pacing wasn't the best, most of the useful info is in the first 3rd but there was still bits to glean the rest of the way, which is better than a lot of other self-help books I've read. You can definitely tell it was written in the 80's and targeted at women, but it's useful for everyone. I wouldn't mind a modern day revision, ...more
Emily
Great book, it was an easy, quick read. I actually read it a few times. The author brings up some good points on how we see fear. How even as children we are told to "be careful" and we see an optimist as a Pollyana and their positive view as unrealistic even though most of our fears of negative things never actually happens.
The author gives you a few strategies to try to keep out of the negative/fearful mindset and gives great examples of how she overcame her fears.
T.L. Clark
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This book truly changed my life.
I read it whilst training to be a counsellor, and it impacted me greatly.
Many years on I still hear this phrase when faced with a new and/or daunting situation.
Truly one of the best books I ever read.
I have become a fiercely independent woman, and I have to thank in part, this gem of a book.
Sara Kindlan-Arnison
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After suffering from severe almost crippling anxiety, I was giving this book to help me cope and it was the best thing that I ever read. It changed my relationship with anxiety, fear and future dreams. If you do the exercises in the book, it helps change your understanding and except the many issues you believe are holding you back.
Karl Niebuhr
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
There are many interesting ideas in this book about how we can overcome our fear and grow in character. I skipped the last part where the author started to talk about esoteric stuff far from being scientific.
Suzie
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can everyone do themselves a favour and read this book...thankyouplease!
Emma Sea
JChipol
"Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame. " Erica Jong

One of my favourite quotes of all time sums up what this book is trying to say; basically we cannot blame situations around us for the state of our own lives. This book brings up some very interesting thoughts; we are in control of our own attitudes and decisions. We may not be able to control the hand that life has dealt us, but we certainly are in control with what decisions we make in order to
Kirsty Watts
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into it but once i'd gotten through half and i started taking on the advice, I felt so much more positive as-well as calm. I definitely underestimated how this book could simply explain basic instructions that drastically reduced my day to day anxiety and depression. Its helped me to learn how to maintain good mental health. I feel more optimistic, more grounded and overall I was pleasantly surprised by how powerful this book was for me. I would certainly recommend this ...more
Richard
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most popular and often recommended self-development books on the market and it is easy to see why. Author Susan Jeffers offers up a very easy read that makes a lot of sense, helping the reader to understand why many of the common fears that hold us back from living our lives are, in reality, irrational and that we can re-program our minds to overcome this irrationality and live full, productive and rewarding lives.

I found this book an easy read with every chapter hitting home
Courtney Williams
May 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, rage-quit
I stopped reading when she started dictating how cancer patients should feel and implying that how you feel is always a choice. Also, the "Pollyanna" style of positive thinking she advocated can often be like putting a plaster (band-aid) on a broken leg. I may reattempt this in future because my GP was the one who recommended it and lots of people have found it useful (it's even one of Reading Well's Books on Prescription).
extreme fear and petrifying phobias 14 81 Oct 14, 2014 03:44AM

• The Power of Positive Thinking
  • Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out
  • First Things First
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World
  • Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude
  • Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
  • Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
There is more than one author with this name

Susan Jeffers, Ph.D. has helped millions of people throughout the world overcome their fears, heal their relationships, and move forward in life with confidence and love.

She is the author of many internationally renowned books including Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, Feel the Fear. . .and Beyond, Feel the Fear Power Planner, End the Struggle and Dance
“Feel the fear and do it anyway!” 113 likes
“The less you need someone's approval, the more you are able to love them.” 26 likes