Start by marking “Doctor Who: Shadowmind” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Shadowmind

Doctor Who: Shadowmind (Virgin New Adventures #16)

2.92  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Arden. A planet of hills and streams and forests. Peaceful. Friendly.
'There is no indigenous intelligent life there.'
'What is there then?'
the Doctor said.
'It’s a new colony world, Doctor. We started developing it three years ago.'

But there is something on Arden. Something that steals minds and memories. Something that is growing stronger. Something that can r
Paperback, 1st, 256 pages
Published September 15th 1993 by Carol Publishing Corporation (first published September 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

James Barnard
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I was initially unsure whether I wanted to reread this one. I remember enjoying it, but, even though I first read it only six years ago, in 2008 (some 15 years after it was first published), I couldn’t recall very much about it. Was this because it’s actually a bit dull? Well, no, actually – there’s a very good science fiction tale being told here, with a genuinely alien race attempting to interact with the human race, and it’s an easy book to read.

The trouble is, it all feels a bit first-draft,
M
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
FINALLY a really good Seventh Doctor novel. This one has cool aliens, great local characters, and even a pretty original plot. The whole story was fast-paced and imaginative. Granted, there was a lot of sitting around and discussing battle tactics, but the author handled it surprisingly well. Normally I hate reading about battles and military strategies. Did I mention the aliens were cool? They were amazing.
Ace and Bernice have some interesting stuff going on. Ace finds plenty of time to be a ba
Christopher Buchanan
A really fun book and a great story. It's a first outing so there a few occasional awkward sentences and spelling/punctuation errors. (In the case of the eBook version, the later errors are probably due to the fan that lovingly transcribed the book for free.) Naturally, this is going to lead to some folks trying to display how clever they are by showing off their mastery of 4th grade grammar. It's a lot simpler than actually formulating and justifying an objective critique. However, if you can g ...more
Scurra
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
OK, this one was weird, in that it's not actually a Doctor Who novel at all, but I can't work out what it is. And yet the story itself is fine, and the other characters are perfectly well-drawn - and, unusually, they take a full part in resolving the plot. This makes it hard to rate - if it hadn't been masquerading then it would probably get another star.

So, for instance, there is an incredible stupid section near the beginning in which Ace arbitrarily decides to start calling the Doctor "Doc".
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
A decent enough Seventh Doctor, Ace and Benny story, with human colonists wandering into an existing struggle between two alien entities. I didn't think Bulis quite got Benny in this one but he has an excellent Ace and good Doctor. A really good ending which would have made great TV especially for New Who, as the Bad Alien Entity is put out of action by a bright idea of the Doctor's. Would be an OK book for Who fans who don't know the New Adventures, less useful for non-Who fans wanting to exper ...more
Travis
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
One of the better 'New Adventures' with a decent mystery and bad guy, good characterization some nice action scenes and the Doctor feels like the Doctor, not the mopey, manipulative guy he's portrayed as being in a lot of these books.

Bunch of plots threads that I had some doubts the writer could pull together and make work and was pleasantly surprised when he did.
plus, if you like that sort of thing, I think this is the book where Ace gets naked.
Siskoid Albert
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
There's this New Adventure (Doctor Who again) called Shadowmind by Christopher Bullis that I'd given up on last September. Well, with 90 pages to go, why not use my momentum to finish it? It's done. It's not that it's bad - it's got some interesting ideas and plenty of twists, maybe even one too many - but it does feel a lot less necessary than some other NAs I've read. But I'm now ready to move on - in the NA range and others.
Mike McDevitt
Jul 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Heavily features Ace, so I want to forgive it a thousand sins. But not 2000. Spelling and grammatical errors abound throughout. My favorite is page 33 where our heroine muses that she "should have worn her combat suite". Weird characterization: Benny's not very clever or snarky and the Doctor has no plan beyond donning his own "combat suit". Skip it.
David
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
This started out promising, but it really just got boring towards the end. Benny continues to be redundant (I hope they start writing better plotlines for her) and the resolution of the story was unexciting.
Alexandra
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've never seen so many typos in a book. And you call that an ending, Mr. Bulis?
Steven
Sep 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Can I give a book zero stars? 'Cause I'd like to do that, please.
Donnie Springfield
Apr 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
A fun concept soured by utterly joyless writing. Skip it.
John Stonecipher
Timothy
Nov 02, 2013
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
An overall solid science-fiction work with a creepy villain and nice characterization all around.
Rich
Nov 11, 2014
Paul
Jun 05, 2012
Keith Coles
rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2015
  • Doctor Who: Conundrum
  • Doctor Who: Blood Harvest
  • Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle: Warhead
  • Doctor Who: Parasite
  • Doctor Who: Sky Pirates!
  • Doctor Who: The Pit
Christopher Bulis is a writer best known for his work on various Doctor Who spin-offs. He is one of the most prolific authors to write for the various ranges of spin-offs from the BBC Television series Doctor Who, with twelve novels to his name, and between 1993 and 2000 he had at least one Doctor Who novel published every year.

Bulis' first published work was the New Adventure Shadowmind, publishe
More about Christopher Bulis...

Virgin New Adventures (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Genesys