Start by marking “The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two” as Want to Read:
The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two

The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two

(Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války #2)

In Book One of The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War Jaroslav Hasek wrote about the familiar world he lived in and wrote about his whole life before the onset of the "War to End All Wars". Book One introduces that world to those who are not familiar with it. For those "in the know" it is a hilarious stroll down the familiar paths: the pubs, ...more
Published May 13th 2009 by Authorhouse (first published 1923)

Be the first to ask a question about The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two

Vojtech
Druhý díl jednoznačně hodnotím jako slabší. Jednak se místy děj prakticky zastaví a jedná se pouze o změť napůl nesmyslných historek a filozofování. Zadruhé mi přijde postava Švejka jako takového svých chováním jaksi zvláštně nekonzistentní napříč oběma knihami. Aniž by Švejk prošel nějakým zjevným vývojem, zdál se mi být výrazně jiný na konci druhé knihy než jak začal v první. Vzhledem k tomu, že jsem se chvílemi do čtení musel trochu nutit, nevidím mnoho důvodů pokračovat ve čtení dalších dílů ...more
حمد المطر
العمل متقن بشكل لا يناقش

السخرية هنا او الفكاهة عبارة عن كل شخص حين يتحاور يستطرد في مواضيع طويلة عجيبة باحكام جدا مضحكة لكن لا تعلو على الجزء الاول

التفاصيل دقيقة من المؤلف ، تسلسل احداث محكم. فعلا نتشوق للجزء الثالث
Corto
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m writing this review after finishing Book Two of “The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk in the World War”.

In this review, I’m going to include my thoughts on the differing Cecil Parrot and Zenny Sadlon translations, as I feel which translation you read will give you a different experience with the titular character, and the story in general. In short, the Sadlon translation gives the reader a novel with extraordinarily more depth and layers than the Parrot translation.

“The Good So
James Klagge
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: czech, novels
I was an editorial consultant on this new English translation. Thus I read it--with a microscope, multiple times--before it was published. Here is what I drafted as an "Afterword" to the book, which was not in the end used:

"We set ourselves the task of rendering Hasek’s account of Svejk’s adventures into English. Most Czechs will tell you that is impossible.
Most translations—“good” translations—read as though they were written in the language that is being read. If you didn’t already know it wa
Katka Heřmanová
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Tohle bylo mnohem horší než první knížka. Asi na tom něco nechápu, asi to neumím pořádně ocenit, ale tohle je pro mě prostě jen směsice skoro nesouvislých historek bez smysluplnějšího děje. Ne, nebavilo mě to. A upřímně, sotva jsem to dočetla...
Adrian Anghel
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despre acest roman am realizat un eseu, dar cu accent pe personajul principal, Svejk, cel care și dă o culoare aparte întregii lumi ilustrate. Este un roman plin de concepte legate de vremea de atunci, de război, mai ales de inulitatea acestuia, de lipsa identității, de multilingvism, de relocarea forțată, cenzură, imputarea cauzelor într-un mod fals fiecăruia, sciziunea mentală din urma Marelui Război.

Ce face, însă, acest roman plictisitor, la un moment dat, este marea pălăvrăgeală. Lucru de c
Marwa
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
حين اندلعت الحرب من أجل هيلين (حيث الأوديسة) أو من أجل الوطن (كما تولستوي) كان للحرب معنى معقول تماما. أما شفييك ورفاقه فيتوجه ن إلى الجبهة دون أن يعرفوا الدافع إلى هذا التوجه، وما يصدم أكثر هو أنهم يتوجهون إليها دون أن يُولوا اهتماما لذلك. ...more
Dominik Pašek
Slabší než 1. díl, dočetl jsem jen ze setrvačnosti...
Fayad Atoui
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كم أنت رائع أيّها الجندي الطيب شفيك!
Alexandru
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca
Somewhat slow to read, I think that this is one of those books that must be read when you are in your teens.
Probably, it would have felt funnier and lighter then when I read it in my mid-thirties.
Bogdan
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: central-europe

This satire was highly entertaining having a congenial main character and making full use of one-side accompanying characters, simplified to the greatest extent to personify a negative trait. In satire or comic novels, these simplified, one trait characters are a positive aspect. Secondly, the entire world depicted in the novel and the events are a caricature.

Just to exemplify it, I recall couple of events described by Hasek. (view spoiler)

Booklovinglady
As my series has three separate books, I've just now finished the second book. Like the first book, this too is a wonderful read, although I have to admit that personally I thought this second part slightly less than the first book of the series.

Do get hold of an illustrated copy if you can, because the illustrations have a charm of their own and definitely add to the story.
حمد المطر
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
العمل لايزال رائع يستحق الخمس نجوم ، لكن لا كما الجزء الاول، الاول افضل منه. الثاني مزاحه مطاط جدا لا يصيب كل مرة

يعتمد المؤلف كثيرا على طرافة ان تجيب اي شخصية السؤال بجواب مطاط وفيه قصص جانبية غريبة وطويلة. فعلا مضحك من غير اسفاف لكن الاول افضل

لا انكر ان نهايات الثاني اضحكتني جدا

نتكلم عن المهم، القصة ذاتها

حبكة ، اسلوب، حوارات، قصة. كل ذلك لذيذ ورائع.

سأنتظرك يا شفيك بالجزء الثالث
Koleś
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Just as with book one, I give it only 3 stars, because the whole book sooner or later becomes repetitive, not to say boring. But it's a good read, with a pinch of laugh. Remind me of much better Paragraph 22, because of it's antiwar character.
Cristina
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O dovada stralucita ca umorul e o arma impotriva tiraniei. Cartea pe care Hesek n-a apucat s-o termine, insa e mai puternica in mesaj decat multe serii fluviu.
Weanti
Jun 23, 2014 added it
Must read. An excellent mirror for the rotting monarchy with a fantastic main character
Susan
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This should be current reading for a management course!
Nick Dyson
José Antonio Aldecoa
Sep 13, 2012
The Good Soldier Svejk 1 4 Oct 12, 2014 01:21PM

• Memoirs of Napoleon - Complete
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II (Oxford Oral History Series)
  • The History of Napoleon Buonaparte
  • Eureka: A Prose Poem
  • Gargoyles
  • As Seen on TV: Provocations
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Jaroslav Hašek was a Czech humorist, satirist, writer and anarchist best known for his novel The Good Soldier Švejk (Czech: Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války), an unfinished collection of farcical incidents about a soldier in World War I and a satire on the ineptitude of authority figures, which has been translated into sixty languages. He also wrote some 1,500 short stories. He was a j ...more

Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války (4 books)
  • Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války, 1. díl – V zázemí (Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války #1)
  • Doživljaji dobrog vojnika Švejka u prvom svetskom ratu (knjiga 3)
  • Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války, 4. díl – Pokračování slavného výprasku