Start by marking “Rumble on the Bayou” as Want to Read:

Rumble on the Bayou

Deputy Dorie Berenger knew it was going to be a rough day when the alligator she found in the town drunk's swimming pool turned out to be stoned. On heroin. Now she has some big-shot city slicker from the DEA trying to take over her turf. And Agent Richard Starke is everything she'd feared-brash, demanding and way too handsome for his own good. Or hers.

The folks of Gator

Published October 1st 2006 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Rumble on the Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumble on the Bayou

Bark
Mar 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, dnf
I started this one for my romance meeting thinking it would be a lighthearted romantic mystery similar to an Evanovich. Set in Louisiana, Dorie is an officer called in to do something about an alligator a citizen discovered lounging in her pool. Turns out the gator has a good grip on a backpack filled with drugs and money and as they remove it they also find a severed finger. Uh oh! Big time crime isn't something Dorie is used to and she's not looking forward to dealing with the big shot DEA's o ...more
Amy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really enjoy the Miss Fortune series by this author. Unfortunately, I have not had much luck branching out. Trouble in Mudbug left me cringing and Rumble on the Bayou...well, I'm glad it is a stand alone.
The book had potential. It is sort of like a gender bender Louisiana Longshot. Instead of a female government agent in a small Louisiana town sparking up a romance with the overly qualified and good looking male deputy, it is a male government agent in a small Louisiana town sparking up a rom
Cheri
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
My 1st book this author. It was hilarious! I haven't laughed so hard since the Plum series. A great mystery too boot.
Gail
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deputy Dorie Berenger is called out to a local home to deal with a gator in the woman's pool. Turns out the gater is stoned on heroine found in the backpack in the gator's mouth. And there beings this tale of small town Louisiana and its residents. The law is Dorie and her friend-like-a-brother Joe, two deputies who play dumb and act smart and who tolerate the eccentricities in this town they love.

In walks DEA agent Richard Starke on the trail of a long time criminal and killer. He stirs up a wh
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
There was a romantic lead named Dick. It is everything that I have ever wanted in life.

But really, this book was cute. The plot was engaging and fun and it kept me riveted.

I did miss having some actual Louisiana type flavor to the book. Yes, it is set in a bayou but besides from one rather ridiculous character, there was no local energy to the book. Louisiana has its own culture that kind of permeates a lot, especially in rural areas and that was not emphasized at all. It felt like it could be s
Anita
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book gives you a taste of life in an odd Louisiana town. The hero is DEA and a little on the dense side, but he gets is right in the end. My favorite mix of humor, sex and a little mystery.
Tasula
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A rollicking feel-good story starting off with a stoned alligator in a pool and proceeding to a tiny town full of secrets, a home grown sheriff's daughter/deputy and a hunky DEA agent from Wash DC. Very typical and at times stereotypical plot and characters, with a bit too much romance and silly banter for me, but still decent light entertainment.
Kimber Li
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! This was one of the first books I ever reviewed as a blogging book reviewer.
Cheryl B
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good mystery and very funny.
S
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can always count on Jana DeLeon's books being an entertaining, light-hearted read. This book was definitely fun to read.
Emily Ever
This book was ok. That's really all I can say about it.

The characters as set up were good, but at the end, they kind of devolved until they were acting out the preferred end of the author, not really what would really happen. The male lead had really no personality even though there was an attempt at it with his whole back story.

The female characeter ended up at the end waiting for the guy to come get her and putting up only a token resistance to him arranging their whole future together witho
Bet Lantaff
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: traded-out
I liked this debut novel from Ms DeLeon. The heroine was kick-ass and the hero was tough but had issues too. There were a few twists that I didn't see coming but it just made the story that much more interesting. The sex, or what there was of it, was okay and not that strong. At least, not as strong as some that I've read. I loved the secondary characters and especially got a kick out of Maylene. As far as the mystery goes, I guessed several characters throughout the book, and even gues
Melody
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Dorie is called to a complaint of an alligator in a pool. Not an unusual occurrence in Louisiana but this pool is a full mile from any water and alligators don't usually expend that much effort. His alligator, though has a backpack full of heroin and money along with a finger in his mouth. The DEA shows up shortly after they run the fingers print. What has come to their quiet little backwater?
Sara
Jan 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, romance
I picked this book up because the description of a gator high on heroin sounded so hilarious. It was a pretty good read, though. It gave a really fun look at small town life and the lengths people will go to protect themselves. The characters were totally over the top and fun. There were even a few interesting twists and turns along the way. A fun read.
✨ Gramy ✨
I found a copy of "Trouble in Mudbug" by this author and really liked it. So I thought I would give another book a try. This was a compelling mystery, which would have been sufficient. Instead it was clouded with too many details in the romance department.
Lois Szymanski
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book. I am a Jana Deleon admirer despite the formula writing and the overdone love scenes.
Cheryl
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous!!

One of the most entertaining books I've had the pleasure to read in a very long time ! Loved it !
Susan Gazaway
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fun read

I enjoyed this book very much. It was funny, sweet and entertaining. I enjoyed reading this book very much. Great read.
Agnieszka
This is a book from the author's back list. It's not as wonderful as her Miss Fortune series but still great. Despite the author's signature style with fun, quirky characters, fictional Louisiana bayou small town and a successfull big city professional struggling to navigate the depths of culture shock in hicksville :-) this book is a little different. It was difficult for me to determine why. OK there's much more sexual tension and the two short graphic sex scenes (which I din't mind at all) an ...more
Sharon
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with the most bizarre situation you can imagine; an alligator, stoned on heroin, in the town drunk's swimming pool. Gator Bait, Louisiana, deputy sheriff and game warden Dorie Beringer also finds a finger in the gator's mouth ... which traces back to someone wanted by the DEA. Dorie is concerned that some "big city dick" will show up to take over the investigation.

Enter DEA agent Richard Starke ... which results in a running joke about Big City Dick. It soon becomes apparent
Cathy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Enjoyable

I kinda finished most of Jana’s books Mudbug series, Fortune series, Shaye Archer series and I was looking for more from this author I’ve come to love. So I decided to give Rumble a whirl. At first I was like well... then as the chapters progressed it kept picking up pace. Then I found myself very into the storyline and characters. I was going through a sad time with the loss of my beloved cat and this book helped take my mind off of the pain. So for that I am grateful.
Also, I don
Cydni
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
My main problem with this book was the lack of character development. I mean, I guess I got a lot of facts about the characters but it was laid out in such a way that I didn't care about them. When the author says things like "oh when Dorie gets mad", I'm thinking who cares if Dorie is mad? Oh look now Joe is mad too, and her dad is mad over in the nursing home (someone's getting a whoopin'!)...ooooh now Shelly's mad cause daddy in the nursing home is stirred up with his heart problems.
The roma
doris
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rumble in the bayou

Anything that deLeon writes you will not be disappointed in reading she is absolutely one of my favorite authors along with janet evanovich and fern michaels her characters are quirky and hilarious characters you would fall in love with this story made me laugh and even cry finding out about detective berrenger biological father and the father who loved and raised her add in an fbi agent who turns her world upside down and the hilarious escapade they find themselves in trying
Gayle Smith
It was ok

I mean, I finished it. The characters were a little too stereotypical for my taste. I'm not fond of books that call themselves mysteries, but are really romance novels. The mystery definitely takes a backseat. The outcome of the characters was all too predictable while the who dunnit was left pretty loose. All tied up at the end with a big red bow. Too sappy for me to be interested in any further books by this author.

Oh, by the way, people sure do blow a breath out a lot in this book.
Lynn W Stubenrauch
So much fun! Excellent summer read!

Jana DeLeon is one of my very favorite authors and when I finished her last book I went looking for other books she had written. Rumble on the Bayou was written awhile back so I wasn't expecting it to be as good as her more current books boy, was I wrong! It wasn't as laugh out loud hilarious but it was filled with interesting characters and the plot was excellent. It was quite thrilling and I was in the edge of my seat several times. It was kinda spicy too, wh
Deborah
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rumble on the Bayou

What a fun and entertaining read. The story amused me from the start. Just imagine that this drug activity in swamp areas could actually be happening. The characters were relatable and comical, especially Maylene. I sometimes wonder if I could exist in such environs; small town, nosy but caring neighbors, etc. Anyway I do recommend this book.
Andrea Hart
Cute Story

I would recommend this book. It has an interesting plot, but it is extremely wordy. The book itself could have been about 25% shorter without all the extraneous descriptions. The characters are developed in great detail and everything is neatly tied together at the conclusion of the book.
Aditi
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't quite hit the Mark

As impossible as things get in the fortune series, they always make me laugh. I love the characters in it. This series didn't quite hit the Mark for me. Chemistry was forced, some bits were obvious to me. The town seems sweet and the characters too but not quite the same.
Nicole King
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This book had so many great things about it. If you like comedy, suspense and police stories then this is the book for you. When agent “dick” gets stuck in Gator Bait to work with sheriff Dorrie you never know what is going to happen. City slicker meats country and there are so many funny points throughout the book.
Hope
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute!

Pleasantly surprised! Was prepared for a funny simple book to lighten up my thoughts when my usual murder mystery thriller books get to be intense. Great storyline, characters and surprise ending. Enjoyed it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: combine books 3 13 Apr 06, 2017 12:38PM

• Stand by Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)
  • Calamity Jayne Heads West (Calamity Jayne, #5)
  • Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble
  • Whiskey for Breakfast (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #3)
  • Jackrabbit Junction Jitters (Jackrabbit Junction, #2)
  • Size Matters (Handcuffs and Happily Ever Afters, #2)
  • Spirits of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun #6.5)
  • Grave Trouble (Lexi Graves Mystery, #2.5)
  • Nip, Tuck, Dead (Pauline Sokol Mystery #5)
  • No Woman Left Behind (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #6)
  • W Juliet, Vol. 2
  • Emily and the Scot (The MacLaughlins, #2)
  • Wild Need (Chiasson, #3)
  • Inklings (The Oxford Chronicles #1)
  • Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy
  • Divorced, Desperate and Deceived (Divorced and Desperate #3)
  • Suddenly a Spy
  • Hot
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jana DeLeon was raised in southwest Louisiana among the bayous and gators. Her hometown is Carlyss, but you probably won't find it on a map. Her family owned a camp located on a bayou just off the Gulf of Mexico that you could only get there by boat. The most important feature was the rope hammock hanging in the shade on a huge deck that stretched ou ...more
“Life has a way of uncovering secrets, usually at the worst moment possible. How we choose to deal with them is what makes us better than those who kept them in the first place.” 0 likes
“nothing is forever and you better get the good stuff in before you run out of time.” 0 likes