Start by marking “Claws” as Want to Read:
Claws

Claws

(Angie Rippard #1)

Dr. Angie Rippard is an Arizona wildlife biologist who is drawn into a police investigation when two teenagers are found dead on a golf course that borders protected National Forest Land. Rippard suspects the teens were attacked by a large mountain lion.

Rippard believes that the resort was developed too close to wilderness lands, but her plan to relocate cougars in the
Published (first published January 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Claws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claws

Start your review of Claws
Becka Sutton
Jun 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes thrillers
(Okay I'm copying and pasting the review from blog - hopefully it's not too long)

Before I review Claws by Stacey Cochran I feel that in the name of complete disclosure I should state that I got this book for free. And how I got the book for free is a tale.

A few years back I came across Stacey's first novel Amber Page and the Legend of the Coral Stone and was initially leery of buying it because the title was a tad Harry Potterish. But there was a sample chapter available, so I took a look and
Alice Osborn
Something is hunting the local occupants near Tucson, Arizona, and Dr. Angie Rippard is determined to find out what…and protect whatever it is at all costs. As an expert on mountain lions, also known as cougars and pumas, Rippard is dedicated to preserving these beautiful animals. But as the attacks continue and more and more people die, she struggles with her philosophy that the cat should be captured and relocated, and not exterminated, more and more difficult to maintain.

How do you balance
Ashley
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claws took place in the Arizona wilderness, most of it. I found that immediately intriguing, as I am a resident of Arizona. Doubly, the main character was a big cat biologist, a secret passion of mine. The plot was heart-pounding, and the premise interesting...but I wasn't impressed with the way the characters were handled. I felt that more of the characters that became the victims were connectable than the actual main character herself. I feel that this book had extreme potential, but fell ...more
Anthony Policastro
Claws will grip you and not let go! This scary, plausible tale could be a harbinger of events to come if more and more natural lands are developed pushing wild animals to commit desperate measures of survival. This is the author’s message cleverly wrapped in a story about two hungry mountain lions hunting people for their next meal – something a mountain lion would not normally do in most circumstances. The fear and horror evoked in Claws makes one seriously think about man’s encroachment on ...more
Sherrie
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
The concept of Claws is interesting and the author shows a lot of promise as the story hooks the reader in the beginning. For me, however, the story began to fall apart from lack of character development. Granted, characters are placed in an extremely stressful situation but that situation is implausible and the actions of the characters incomprehensible. It's not enough to throw in a sentence about the behavior of characters that have been inadequately developed in the first place. More ...more
Michelle
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
First of all, this is not the kind of book I usually read. It was free on amazon, and I like free.
I feel like the main character was not developed at all! The characters that were developed happened moments before their death or the end of their part in the story. I like the main character's boyfriend, johns break down but wish there had been more to his character before this! Each character had glimpse of a deep character but fell short.
Ending kind of confused me.
Ingrid Foster
Just finished this novel, glad I got it for free on Kindle.

Ms. Cochran had a great story premise here, did the research and wrote a quite a yarn. My only real problems with the book is it needs editing, a lot of editing and some parts of the story were a little too far fetched.

Otherwise it was a entertaining and I found it hard to put down.
Belea Keeney
This was a solid action/adventure tale, and I really love stories about big cats. This one focused on mountain lions, and its setting out west was interesting to this Eastern gal.

I think this was one of Cochran's earlier books, and the POV wobbles and other mechanical issues were easy to let slide.

A fast, fun read. For the beach. Not if you're heading out west for a vacation. :)
Jenna Walker
Oct 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital-books
I thought this book was only ok. it was different and interesting but then again it was a little dry.. the character building wasn't very good.. I didn't care much about the characters. Im glad I read it but I wouldn't read it again. I think there's a claws 2 and I may take a gander at that but I'm not gonna drop everything to read it.
Smf
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The real reason whY I love animal attack novels is the sense of place, the rustic outdoors. Kudos to the author for bringing that to life. I loved the cougar story. However, the writing itself is lacking. But still a good read. I've read sequel.
Anthony Beals
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
So-so thriller that is basically a mountain lion version of Jaws. Very two-dimensional characters. 2.5/5
Kim Vandrisse
This was a great book, really kept my attention while on the treadmill..
Larry Cook
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read.
Bill
Oct 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
terrible story. Do not recommend
Melankalia
Jan 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Awful. It was a free kindle download and I still want my money back.
Alena
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Claws.. One word
SUSPENCE!
A wild cat running around on a mountain just happening to mal people while their alone
Patt Lisenbee
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll think twice hiking alone in woods where cougars roam! A thrilling, fast-paced book, the author expertly sets your teeth on the edge in this tale... nuff said, read it and be amazed!
Lynn
Jun 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Okay plot - I have to agree with other reviewers
that the characters were rather shallow. The
story seemed to move too quickly - almost at the
pace of a short story.
Diane
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
free on kindle at the time I read it. I don't care for this genre though.
Horror Aficionado
Kathy B
Jan 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Free Book Cha...: Claws, by Stacy Cochran 2 13 Nov 07, 2012 05:11PM

• Wife Most Wanted (Montana Mavericks: Return To Whitehorn, #2)
  • Untouchable (Emperor's Brides, #1)
  • 22 Nights (Emperor's Brides, #2)
  • A Stitch of Time: The Year a Brain Injury Changed My Language and Life
  • Running Scared (Last Chance Heroes, #1)
  • The Royal Macallister (The Baby Bet, #10; The Baby Bet: MacAllister's Gifts, #1)
  • Man...Mercenary...Monarch - Pelangi Impian (Royally Wed, #5)
  • Apache Dream Bride
  • Bride By Command (Emperor's Brides, #3)
  • Ellie's Story (A Dog's Purpose Puppy Tales)
  • My Long Tall Texas Heartthrob (Cedar Dell, #2)
  • Out of the Dark
  • The Prince's Wedding (Romancing the Crown, #12)
  • Pregnant And Protected
  • Lover Under Cover (Trinity Street West, #2)
  • Medusa Rising (Medusa Project #2)
  • Pregnant Protector
  • Badge of Honor (Trinity Street West, #6)

Angie Rippard (2 books)