Start by marking “A Birthday for Bear” as Want to Read:
A Birthday for Bear

A Birthday for Bear

(Bear and Mouse #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  687 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Can a relentlessly cheery Mouse wear down a party-pooping Bear? The unlikely pair are back in a droll, utterly charming tale that early readers will celebrate.

Published September 8th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about A Birthday for Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Birthday for Bear

really liked it 4.00  ·

Boni
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the most perplexing book I've seen this year. A Visitor For Bear was one of my favorite picture books of 2008. It is a sumptuous picture book- 56 pages and wide, it is a lovely size and length to showcase a simple and delightful story with perfect pacing and knock-out illustrations. I thought it was a perfect picture book.

This sequel, A Birthday For Bear, is an easy-reader format book. While it is an equally lovely story, with more of the same gorgeous illustrations, I missed the heft! I
Abigail
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories Featuring Odd-Couple Friendships
Bear and Mouse return in this second delightful picture-book devoted to their adventures, following upon the marvelous A Visitor for Bear . Irascible Bear, who is decidedly NOT interested in birthdays, finds that his irrepressible little murine friend - "small and gray and bright-eyed" - once again doesn't know how to take no for an answer. Knocking on his front door, then his back, then his window, Mouse attempts to deliver birthday cards, presents and cake to Bear, who is keeping busy with ch ...more
La Coccinelle
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I think this might be my favourite book about Bear and Mouse!

It's Bear's birthday, but he doesn't want to have anything to do with celebrating. Luckily for him, his friend Mouse has got it all covered. With an apologetic tone, Mouse gently perseveres in his quest to give Bear the perfect birthday party, knowing that the curmudgeon will enjoy it once he gets over his fear of change.

That's one of the things I love about these books. The message about embracing change is one I haven't seen very oft
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Who doesn't love birthdays? Bear, that's who! But his tiny friend Mouse just can't believe that's true. He tries cards, balloons and presents too. There is even a visit by Santa Claus! Finally chocolate cake softens the cleaning bear's heart...

I really loved this book. I may normally have rated it 4 stars because the story was rather silly than message oriented, but thinking about it all day I realized several things: #1 - the art
Kelly
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I *love* Bear and Mouse. VISITOR FOR BEAR was one of my favorite pbs last year. This follow up story is very similar, however, the format is different. The story is broken up into 4 short chapters. I'm not sure why because it could have worked as another picture book and the retail price is still $15.99 - even though the book is considerably smaller in size. Go figure. Regardless, I enjoyed the birthday story & these two characters very much. I'm assuming there will be a 3rd installment - if ...more
DaNae
In which we are introduced to the onomatopoeia Squidjedy.
eimn
Oct 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
What a terrible book! Bear should not be forced to celebrate her birthday! She clearly says to Mouse what she wants to do (cleaning her house all day) and what she doesn't want to do (celebrating with a party, or receiving cakes and presents) and still, Mouse tries over and over again. I don't like that Mouse lies and pretends to be someone else to achieve what she wants. It's perfectly ok for Bear to enjoy chocolate cake, but it should not have been forced the way it has been. I would not recom ...more
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it

While it's not as good as the first book, I did find that this one was very reminiscent of it. Bear and Mouse continue to be an amusing duo. Bear actually reminds me of myself. The likes things "just so" part, not the curmudgeonly part.
Angie Quantrell
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great early reader chapter book. I love Bear and his avoidance of anything to do with birthday. Until a cake shows up. Lovely friendship book and Mouse is a symbol of true perseverance!
Amanda Hughes
Although it doesn't quite compare to "Visitor for Bear," this is a neat book for grades k-3. The characters are lovable and the soft color and detail within the illustrations are captivating.
Kelly
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is so cute. Mouse is always there for Bear. Looking forward to more books in the series.
Ann
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
It's a cross between Green Eggs and Ham and Little Red Riding hood.
Emelia
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Read to Jack and Julia!
Melki
Bear just wants to ignore his birthday, but Mouse is determined to celebrate the day. Who will win this test of wills? Cute story with lovely illustrations by Kady MacDonald Denton.
Viviane Elbee
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a sequel to A VISITOR FOR BEAR. Bear is his grumpy self, and he doesn't want to celebrate his birthday. But mouse is very persistent. And funny.
The kids giggled at some of mouse's tricks.
Cristine Cris
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Bear insists he doesn’t like birthdays, cards, parties or cake...or does he? Maybe everyone wants someone to spend a little extra time on them once in a while and show they are special.
Glynice Lee
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader, is a very good book about a true friendship with a bear and a mouse. A mouse that is wanting to have a birthday party for, but the bear does not feel that way and keeps pushing the mouse away. The mouse nonstop tries to convince the bear that they should have the birthday party. This story shows a true friendship that the mouse is trying to keep with the bear. In my opinion I think that a story that shows a real friendship is a story that shows a lesson of h ...more
Kaitlyn

Title: A Birthday for Bear
Author: Bonny Becker ,
IllustratorKady MacDonald Denton
Genre:Early Reader
Theme(s): Artist
Opening line/sentence: I do not like presents I do not like birthday cards.
Brief Book Summary:
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:Bear insists it's not his birthday, but Mouse has an invitation that says differently. Denton's friendly ink and watercolor pictures effectively convey the tone and emotion of the witty back-and-forth between sparring partners (A Visitor for Bear). O
Melissa O'Neill
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book
Fiction/Easy Reader

Estimate of age level of interest
K-3

Estimate of reading level
2.6

Brief description
Bear doesn’t like birthdays – especially celebrating his own; he’d rather clean his house. Mouse finally finds just the right present to put Bear in the right mood – a birthday cake.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book
• Emergent Reader books have familiar topics but greater dep
Brad
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading through this story and checking out the highly-detailed illustrations on each and every page. Some scenes in the story spanned both pages and others had two separate images that helped you see what was going on. I really liked a couple pages in particular where mouse was standing outside the door with balloons on the left page and the right page had bear standing on the other side of the door and you could see the balloons through the window. Those two pages allowed read ...more
Heidi-Marie
Ahhh--I love Bear and Mouse! This is yet another adorable edition to our gruff Bear and lovable Mouse stories of friendship. Mouse is, of course, my favorite in these. I love the many ways he tries to help Bear celebrate. Especially that he attempted elements of disguise. AND--there was no singing to bear. My kind of birthday party.

7/15/15 Used in my Bears theme. The kids love birthdays and presents, so they really got in to this story because Bear did NOT like them. They enjoyed the mouse. I ha
Jess
February 2017 - I love the first Bear book, A Visitor for Bear - it's a fantastic longer picture book that's still appealing to preschool audiences. This one suffers a little from repeating the same themes, but that doesn't bother Ben. The language is still delightful to read aloud and the pictures are still charming. It's the time of year for birthday books, and this is his favorite so far.
Christy
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it

Bear does not like birthdays. He doesn’t like parties or balloons, cards or candles. In fact, Bear does not like anything to do with birthdays at all. He would much rather spend his birthday alone cleaning his house, but Mouse, small and gray and bright-eyed, has other ideas. The author and illustrator who created the best-selling picture
Dolly
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: birthday, 2010, childrens
Bear the curmudgeon doesn't like birthdays, balloons, parties, cake, etc... But somehow his friend mouse finds a way (again) to make him come around.

We enjoyed the book A Visitor for Bear very much and so when we saw this at the library, we just knew we had to read it. It was a fun tale with cute illustrations, and even though we liked the first book a little bit better, it was a great story to read aloud at bedtime.
Bridget R. Wilson
Sep 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-readers
Remember Bear? He hated visitors until Mouse came along? Well, now he hates birthdays, but I think we can count on Mouse to change that.

What I thought: Hilarious! Bear and Mouse are such great characters. Bear's repeated insistence that he hates birthdays will draw giggles from all children. The illustrations are lovely as always. I think Kady is becoming one of my favorite illustrators. She used such soft color and the detail, oh my! My favorite illustrations are Bear sweeping Mouse out and par
Marcia
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bear didn't want a birthday celebration--no way, no how. Reminded me of when my son was adamant that he did not want a birthday that meant he would be 4. Illustrations are priceless. The newest Bear and Mouse book, A Library Book for Bear, will be published on July 22; a copy has been pre-ordered.

Opening Lines:
Bear didn't like birthdays. He didn't like birthday parties or balloons. He didn't like birthday cards or songs or candles. In fact, Bear was quite sure he didn't like anything to do with
Sandra Guerfi
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bear does not like birthdays or anything associated with them. Mouse just wants to celebrate it with his friend but no matter what he tries, Bear is still not interested. When Bear receives a birthday cake he is prepared to turn this away too. Can mouse convince Bear that birthdays are a great way for friends to express their love for each other or will this be just another birthday for Bear to continue cleaning his house?
Jackie
Bear does not like birthdays, or presents, or cake, or balloons. Hrumpf. But, his friend mouse is insistent that they celebrate! And, oh-so-hard does he try! Bear is adamant and he cleans all day long and shushes mouse out the door.

But, when mouse finally gets the message and doesn't come back...it leaves bear wondering...hmmmmm. What was that present?

The illustrations are delightful and the expressions on bear and mouse are priceless.
babyhippoface
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
With phrases like "shameful trickery", "appalling behavior", "it bats about quite nicely", and--my favorite--"squidjedy"--how can anyone not like this book? A Visitor for Bear was so perfect that I worried about a follow-up: would it be as good? Could it be as good?

Why, yes. Yes, it can.
Stephaniefranklin
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very good book. The bear was really not into birthdays but his little the mouse really wanted to give him something for his birthday. He tried many different times but failed. When he tried for the last time and gave the bear a birthday cake the bear had a change of heart and accepted his little friend presents.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • My Kite Is Stuck! And Other Stories (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Bear in Love
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)
  • The Mitten
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Turn the Page
  • Panda Kindergarten
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Zoomer
Bonny Becker is the author of a number of award-winning picture books and middle-grade novels. She lives in Seattle.

Bear and Mouse (6 books)