Start by marking “The Twelve Labors of Hercules” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Labors of Hercules

The Twelve Labors of Hercules

Capture children's interest in ancient civilizations with these faithful retellings of classic Greek tales, lavishly illustrated by and award-winning artist.
Published September 1st 1997 by Millbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Labors of Hercules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Labors of Hercules

Mundo Gamusino
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Antes de nada, desde Mundo Gamusino queremos agradecer a la editorial Vicens Vives su colaboración con el blog y el envío del libro para su reseña. Es un libro que esperábamos que nos gustase y que ha superado nuestras expectativas.

Como la mayoría sabéis, la mitología griega es de nuestras favoritas, y el personaje de Hércules siempre nos ha gustado mucho. cuando vimos la portada de este libro nos ha llamado mucho la atención, y nos ha recordado a una serie que daban en la tele cuando éramos peq
Megan Collins
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Hero
Riordan, James. The Twelve Labors of Hercules (1997). This book discusses the birth and death of Hercules as well as the twelve labors he endured. Hera is upset that Zeus has decided to name Hercules after her since he is not her son. She vows to make Hercules’ life as difficult and miserable as possible in retaliation. One day, Hera envelopes Hercules in a fit of madness and he throws his wife and children into a fire. Overcome with grief, he visits an Oracle to decide his fate. The Oracle
Isabel Guerra
Bueno... la historia de Hércules no es tan rosa como Disney nos la contó :)

Este es un librito muy dinámico que hace un resumen de la vida de Hércules y los doce trabajos que tuvo que hacer antes de alcanzar su inmortalidad. A mí me encanta la mitología griega entonces ya conocía mucho de la verdadera historia de Hércules o Heracles, pero me encantó haber destinado unas horitas a leer este libro.

Es un muy ameno, con capítulos muy cortos que se dividen en cada uno de sus trabajos, está narrado e
Sarita
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know so many details about Hercules. I love Greek mythology and this book provided me more information to learn about gods and Hercules life.
Isabel Jazmín
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creo que se podrían trabajar bien con los pubertos, tanto en clase por su brevedad como para realizar actividades en casa.
Sarah Huff
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book! I have always loved Greek mythology so when I picked up this book about Hercules I was extremely excited to delve into the stories of Hercules. I didn't expect the book to go into a tremendous amount of detail about the twelve labors of the mighty Hercules but I feel that James Riordan did a wonderful job of telling the stories. Riordan made the stories easy to follow, quick and to the point. He gave the perfect amount of details and dialogue and didn't add any unnec ...more
María Chávez
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Riordan have done an amazing job with the twelve jobs of Hercules, is a very interesting book that transports you to the ancient Greece where the fantasy is the most important thing, every single job was done in an impossible way that was in some point very believable by the reader. James Riordan makes from an ancient myth something new and incredible. I recommended this book to people who are interested in ancient mythology, history, culture and in enjoying a good book.
John
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More gruesome bedtime reading with the girl, who fell in love with Balit's illustrative style and is rushing through all her books. Hercules' story gets somewhat truncated, somewhat sanitized, and it isn't always too clear what the motivation is for the characters contending in the story. Still, the illustrations are fabulous.
Shelli
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
While poorly illustrated, this was a fantastic read about the highs and lows of the life of Hercules. O.k. so mostly the lows, this future god had it ruff from the cradle. The Twelve Labors of Hercules would be a fantastic edition to any elementary/middle school classroom or library.
Cristina Berná
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro muy interesante si eres un amante de la mitología y el mundo clásico.

Lo leí cuando estudiamos al personaje de Hércules o Heracles en griego y me pareció un libro corto, ameno y muy ligero.
Teri
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ancient-greece
We read a couple of these every day, and my girls seems to really like them. When Herculues always wins without exerting any effort, it starts to get too redundant for my taste.
Paul LaFontaine
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Simplified version of the Hercules legend. Good to brush up on the actual labors, but thin and not as engaging as it could be. Did not enjoy this version.
Kazyboleyn
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
disney nos engaña
Beatriz
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, owned
Beautiful book, I love how insightful, creative and useful mythology is. The learning from reading mythology is still very relevant today.
Mundo Libros
Riordan, Dzejms.
Riordan, James
Riordan, James William 1936-2012
Riordan, Jim, 1936-2012

James Riordan (10 October 1936 – 10 February 2012) was an English novelist, broadcaster, sports historian, association football player and Russian scholar.

Well known for his work Sport in Soviet Society, the first academic look at sport in the Soviet Union, and for his children