Start by marking “Firefighter Ted” as Want to Read:
Firefighter Ted

Firefighter Ted

(Ted #2)

Burning toast, a sizzling sidewalk, volcanoes erupting at a science fair.... Danger lurks everywhere, and not a firefighter to be found.... Ted knows it is time to become Firefighter Ted. It's the least a helpful bear can do.
Published September 8th 2009 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Firefighter Ted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefighter Ted

Start your review of Firefighter Ted
Abigail
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed 'Doctor Ted'
That imaginative little bear Ted returns in this follow-up to Doctor Ted , this time deciding that he will be a firefighter for the day. Intervening in all sorts of emergencies, from burnt toast to mewling kittens, Ted does his duty in his new profession, even going so far as to (once again) step in when his school principal needs "help." As Firefighter Ted says, only you can prevent pants fires!

Every bit as amusing as its predecessor, Firefighter Ted is the second of three picture-books from
Andréa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ted always irritates me.
Amy Adams
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
This is one of those books that is quite funny for adults, but I'm not sure if kids will like it. I thought the illustrations were a little boring, but those might be interesting to little ones. The story, however, I'm undecided about. There are some funny parts: "Remember, only you can prevent pants fires!" But, I don't think it really gives good lessons about fire safety or about how to help others. Some kids might find it funny, but I think it's important that they also know that this is a fi ...more
Melly Fischer
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love these big bold illustrations, great one-on-one read/too lengthy for storytime.
Courtney
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Every parent, every where (at least I hope) teaches their kids that they can be anything they want to be when they grow up, as long as they truly believe! This is something that allows children to dream dreams, and to life as if anything is possible.

"Firefighter Ted" is about a young bear named Ted who woke up one morning smelling smoke. Upon this instance, Ted decided to place his firefighter costume on and go investigate. This entire short-story is told, I believe, to teach children about fir
Megan Eskridge
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Firefighter Ted is a book that shows an imaginative side of a character who wants to be a firefighter. I enjoyed the reading because the storyline describes scenes of Ted helping and saving others while also telling facts about fire safety. It is important for children to learn about fire safety and know how others can help them when the time is needed. I also liked where the words are placed on the pages allowing the reader to follow along!
Miss Sarah
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Ted is pretending to be a firefighter today but his he doing it the right way? Cute but a little long so preschool or one on one.
Liz Downes
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boys
I'm all for encouraging imagination in children but Ted is just obnoxious. Not exactly something I'm interested in teaching my kids.
Kelly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Today, Ted is a...firefighter! All his help is annoying others.
A little too convoluted and wordy for preschoolers, but this would be a fun story for elementary age kids. Great illustrations and some fun humor.
Katy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
My first Ted book and I have to say, he is the worst.
Caitlyn Carey
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very easy to read and very comical. I loved every second of it. I thought was easy to understand, and showcased something that many children could relate to.
Whitney Leanhart
Firefighter Ted is a safe firefighter that wants no one to get hurt. He watches out for everyone and makes sure that they are not in danger. This book contains good information on fire safety.
Jesse
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ted is adorably funny, as usual!
Natalie Roche
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are cute... but definitely not good for teaching fire safety. More like an example of everything you SHOULD NOT do!
Rupali Gore
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
My preschooler daughter picked up this book from the library. She asked me to read it many times. It is her favourite.
Jaime
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Funny book.
Skye Kilaen
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absurdity at its best in children's literature. Ted can't find a firefighter, so he becomes one, with disastrous results that don't seem to faze Ted in the least. Pants on fire? Call the janitor! Call the librarian! Call somebody! Or just wait for Ted to save the day... kinda.

There are other Ted books, but in my opinion, the others are much more random with Ted's behavior and thus not as funny. In Artist Ted he torments an new kid at school throughout most of the book in an extremely disturbing
Kristen
I liked this way more than I thought I would! I thought it'd be a cutesy story of a little bear who pretends to be firefighter, but it's more than just that. Ted takes his responsibility as a firefighter seriously, so when he smells smoke, he makes his own extinguisher from a can of whipped cream and a tube from the fish tank to spray on his slightly burned toast. "That was your breakfast," says his obviously peeved mother. "Only you can prevent breakfast fires," Ted replies. Love the fire on th ...more
Jess Brown
Ted wakes up one morning to the smell of smoke. Donning his firefighter uniform, he proceeds to fight fires all day--at home and at school, much to the dismay of many of those around him (parents, teachers, and the principal!). In the end he saves the day (er...pants) and is on to thinking up his next big project. A cute story, but a little sprawling (and I found) and uninteresting. There's a touch of humor, which is cute ("Only you can prevent...breakfast fires!" he says). Best for early elemen ...more
Erin
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read this to my preschool class today, and one or two of them obviously knew it already. It's a little old for my group-- most of my kids haven't encountered anything like a science fair, and firefighters only really rescue kittens from trees in movies, but we talked about it along the way. I don't think my kids found it funny, at least not on this readthrough, but they did recognize that Ted wasn't being as helpful as he thought he was. Oh, well; at least it was more fun to read than most pictu ...more
☆Brittany☆
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ethan *insisted* we check out this book because he said he "knew Ted" from school. He said that Ted was a doctor in the other book from school so he was SO confused when he saw Ted as a fireman, LOL. He was like "That's TED!! But, he's a doctor! Why is he dressed as a fireman?!" & we had quite a discussion about Ted now being a fireman.
I had no idea who Ted even was, until today..but yeah, Ethan told me all about him & he really enjoyed this book. :)
I thought it was cute & funny.
Rebecca
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is one my favorite books to read with the students. It talks about fire extinguisher and hydrant. It contains a lot of words that the students in kindergarten or even first graders are not familiar in their vocabulary. After reading this book, the teacher should show them where the fire extingushier and fire alarm is in the school. They will be fancinated by the fact that they can see the fire alarm in real life.
Steven
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text-set
Firefighter Ted is a story about a boy bear who wakes up and decides to become the town's firefighter. He makes sure everywhere he goes, at home and at school, is safe from fires. He also ensures everyone is not committing any fire violations. He is on top of everything.
This is a good start for the text-set since Ted takes on the responsibility of being the one and only firefighter in town when he sees there is no one else to do the job.
JennE
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I first thought Firefighter Ted was a great problem solver... He smells smoke, can't find a firefighter, so he becomes one. However, as I read on, I realized the story is the illustrations as much as the text. Ted means well, but is so focused on fire safety, he doesn't realize not all situations are dangerous or need rescuing. When Principal Bingham's pants catch fire, Firefighter Ted to the rescue!
Heidi-Marie
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it
The pictures in this are a hoot--cute and funny. The story has enjoyable humor, too. But this is definitely for older children (over 5 at least) because of the tongue-in-cheek humor, as well as the lack of proper actions to certain situations. Younger children won't see the humor in that, nor what is wrong. This was fun having it read to me, too.
Hannah Cobb
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
Ted takes his job as a firefighter seriously--much to the annoyance of the neighborhood cats. But when disaster really strikes, Ted is at hand to save the day. Bright, cartoon-like illustrations and Ted's amusing misinterpretation of events will delight young readers, but I found the idea of a kid taking care of fires on his own a bit worrying.
Jerri Lyn
Feb 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
We tried reading this tonight. I pretty much hated it. Ted leaves a trail of havoc behind him as he "helps" but there is no acknowledgment of that nor are there consequences. It was a good idea poorly executed.

It's a good thing we still had I Want My Hat Backto follow up!
Libby
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My 2-year old son LOVED this book. I thought it was cute as well, but we read this book many many times while we had it from the library. It has cute humor as well, though probably a lot of it was above his head.
Caroline Barnett
This is a cute book that would be great to introduce fire safety. I would read this book to a pre-k or kindergarden class to start a discussion about fire safety. This is a great book to also talk about different jobs around the community.

• Hocus Pocus, It's Fall!
  • Three Little Cajun Pigs
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • What Do They Do with All That Poo?
  • Shapes
  • Llama Llama Loves to Read
  • The Library Pages
  • A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #19)
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • The Napping House
  • Festival of Colors
  • How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps
  • Pancakes, Pancakes!
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Cars and Trucks Book
  • The Three Ninja Pigs
  • 8 Little Planets
For more information, visit my website (www.AndreaBeaty.com).

Also, visit www.Questioneers.com for posters, activities, educator resources, and other information about the Questioneer books.

Further, check out Story Time From Space to see Ada Twist and Rosie Revere read at the International Space Station by astronauts! It’s out of this world.

Ted (3 books)