Start by marking “A Book of Sleep” as Want to Read:
A Book of Sleep

A Book of Sleep

When the sky grows darkand the moon glows bright,everyone goes to sleep . . .except for the watchful owl!With a spare, soothing text and beautifully rich and textured illustrations of a starry night, this is the perfect "book of sleep." Join the owl on his moonlit journey as he watches all the other animals settle in for the night: some sleep standing up, while some sleep ...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Book of Sleep

unknown
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, nina
When I read this to my son/daughter, I like to make the sounds of the different animals. I also point out where the little owl is hidden on every page. S/he is still in utero, but I nevertheless feel like this is a worthwhile activity.

LOOK IT IS BEING CUDDLED BY THE TWO PENGUINS!
THERE IT IS FLYING OVER THE WHALE IN THE OCEAN!
NOW IT IS ON A WIRE WITH THOSE OTHER BIRDS*!

The art is simultaneously classic and modern and I'm pretty sure no child will appreciate it on as many levels as I do.

(*which k
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a stunning book, one that appeals to my artistic side (the side that loves art, even if I'm hopeless at it myself). Il Sung Na is an illustrator like no other, and the story is very sweet too. The kids really like this one, with all the different animals, and as they get older there are finer details to notice.

The text is very simple but the illustrations are deceptively simple and utterly gorgeous - I would love to get them as posters.

They speak for themselves, I think. :)
Kathryn
The illustrations in this book really captivated me--they are so unusual and beautiful! The story itself is a very simple one about all the different ways animals sleep--and how the owl finally falls asleep while everyone else wakes up ;-) Still, it's so beautifully told through the illustrations and a few well-chosen words that this is a true gem of a bedtime and animal story.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Owl doesn't get to sleep like the other animals do when night falls. Instead he zooms around and checks on everyone's odd sleeping habits. Finally when everyone else is waking up lonely owl is going to sleep.

Oh my gosh this book! I picked it up because of the cover art and I've read some other Asian author picture books and they were excellent so I HAD to check this one out too...

AND IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT!! THE ART , oh the art!! So
Lisa Vegan
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bedtime story telling for very young children; those who appreciate beautiful illustrations
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
The art from cover to cover is unusual and absolutely stunning. Interestingly, much of it was done with the help of digital computer technology; and I will search out more books by this talented picture book artist. This is a gorgeous book.

The story is a perfect and reassuring bedtime story for very young children, as it goes from animal to animal talking about the ways they sleep, and then talking about them all waking up "when the sky turns blue and the sun glows bright” – except for the owl,
Ann
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it

This book follows and owl (happily you can look for it on nearly every page!) who stays up at night, and travels by various other animals who sleep at night.

I'm sure children who are curious about animals, and children who might be afraid to sleep (or of the dark) will enjoy this simple and sweet tale.

The illustrations are interesting and unique and overall I did like this a lot!
duniamimpigie Anggi
Super cuuuuteeee!!!

Ketemu di pojokan swalayan di bilangan Jakarta Selatan. Langsung ambil tanpa pikir-pikir lagi.
Manis banget.
Uh.
M-A-N-I-S.
Ceritanya tentang kebiasaan tidur masing-masing hewan. Manis sekali.
Kepengen bisa bikin buku macam ini.

Bisa ketemu buku semanis ini kayak ketemu jodoh saja! Tidak dapat diduga! Jatuh cinta pada pandangan pertama!
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wow. I would like to commission Il Sung Na to design my wallpaper. The illustrations in this book are exquisitely rendered and the story is short and sweet--perfect for bedtime.
J
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book to a few different groups of kids. It's all about sleeping animals.
Hannah Notess
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writers-of-color
Reading this every night at bedtime, I still find it sweet, and it's short enough to not get boring.
Sadia Mansoor
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A fine book to teach how different animals sleep differently, like some keep both their eyes shut, while some only has one eye closed & oneopened.. And there are those as well which have both their eyes open. They don't even blink. They don't have eyelids at all.

This is the video of the book https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOd7M...
An Abundance of Books
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Featured at An Abundance of Books

This is the book just begs for you to cuddle up with your child and whisper the story quietly while looking at all of the sleeping animals and trying and find the Owl in every illustration. I've added this and a few other Il Sung Na books to my son's book wish list for the grandparents. This is a lovely book and one you definitely need to try out, I give it 5 stars.

Read full review HERE
June
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Librarians, parents & teachers
Recommended to June by: Polly
A simple story about a owl keeping watch under a moon and how other animals sleep. A mother grabbed it right after storytime to check out. 12/16/11

This was quite popular at story time and grabbed a lot of children that were hanging around from Lap Time.
Becki
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Now this book was great. My four year old niece and I loved the illustrations. She could identify every animal. And wanted to know why the owl slept at night and the rest did not. Kept entertained and seeking knowledge. Win, win, win!!
Louise
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Who wants to tell the author that koalas are nocturnal?
Jenna Vick
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rding-350
In this book, the owl stays up all night to tell us how others sleep. It goes on to say how some sleep standing up, some sleep with one or both eyes open, and some sleep while they are still moving. It tells you how everyone sleeps and how everyones sleeps differently. Once the sun rises, everyone wakes up and starts their day. On the other hand, the owl then goes to sleep.

I though that this was a cute book. It shows how each animal they talked about was different in their own ways. It had good
Peyton
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“A Book of Sleep” is an adorable picture book about how animals sleep differently, except the Owl, who does not sleep at night. I absolutely loved the illustrations in “A Book of Sleep”. They are different from other images I have seen. I could trace the lines of the images over and over again with the tip of my finger. The lines are clean and the texture of the colouring really stands out.

The words in “A Book of Sleep” are minimal. There are only one or two lines per double-page spread, which
Bianca
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ayla-s-library
One of the things I like most about children's book is the wide range in illustrating styles. And I like the style of this book. Also, it's about animals and that is nice, most of the time. Plus, it covers one of my favorite things... sleeping. That makes it an all round winner for me, but my little girl never picks it when choosing a book for the night. We only read it when I want something different.
Milan Žila
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures are so original that even after a couple of years we still enjoy a quick bedtime read of this book.
Even though there is little story, there are interesting sleeping habits of animals that we talk about. Like owls being nocturnal and whales sleeping on the move.
Also you can point out where the owl is in every picture.

The book is inexpensive and can be enjoyed for many years so buy as soon as you can.
Dimity Powell
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
A sweet innocuous tale perfect to share with tired little people before bedtime. The chalkboard illustrations are divine making this a visual delight. I must point out one teeny oversight though: koalas, like the 'tired owl' are nocturnal and therefore don't doze all night and wake up when 'the sun glows bright'! Just saying.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
A fun little story about an owl who stays up and all the other creatures that go to sleep at night.

**Talking points - just because you are different from everyone else around you does that mean that you are wrong? Perhaps God just made you wonderfully different for a reason. What things are different about you and how can they help you in your mission here on earth?
Rita Salfetnikova
Copyright: 2009
Genre: Picture book
This is a book about how different animals sleep. I would say this book is appropriate for pre-k aged students. I would read this to students to learn about different animals.
Christina Reid
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have loved Il Sunga Na's illustrations since I picked up the first book by this talented-illustrator in a book exchange. Found this in my local library today and it didn't disappoint - beautiful, multi-layered illustrations and the perfect bedtime message!
Matthew
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short, lightly amusing bedtime read about animals that sleep in many different ways in many different places. It's simple, but it works. Well done. The illustrations are unusual, but appealing. Nicely done.
Lisa
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It’s a nice book that has somehow failed to make much of an impression on either my 2yo or myself.
Kelly
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations and a simple story about how different animals sleep. Lots of opportunities for discussion during storytime.
Katerina Arsenova
прекрасна книжка за най-малките. Историята и илюстрациите и са прекрасни. Детето ми иска да я четем всчка вечер преди сън !!!
Clementine
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think Il Sung Na might be my favorite children's picture book author working today.
Sinéad Kelly
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My two year old loves this book! We read it every night
Ryan
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
A simple story on how and when animals sleep. What puts this title over the top is the amazing illustrations. Any could be an art print in a family room.

• Waiting for Winter
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Little Owl's Night
  • If You're Hoppy
Born in Seoul, South Korea, Il Sung Na studied illustration at Kingston University in London.