Start by marking “New Warriors Classic - Volume 1” as Want to Read:
New Warriors Classic - Volume 1

New Warriors Classic - Volume 1

(New Warriors (1990) #1-6)

Collects New Warriors (1990) #1-6, Thor (1966) #411-412.

His parents dead, Dwayne Taylor - a.k.a. Night Thrasher - set out to create a new family for himself and ended up with the premier super-team of the 1990s! Marvel Boy and Firestar! Namorita and Nova! Speedball! All they want to do is change the world! Decide for yourself how well they managed it in their trials by fir
Published July 22nd 2009 by Marvel (first published July 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about New Warriors Classic - Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Warriors Classic - Volume 1

Start your review of New Warriors Classic - Volume 1
Sarospice
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The New Heroes of The 90's! What a fun read! I forgot how good Mark Bagley's art use to be. The Thor story interrupts getting to know The Warriors but their personalities shine thru even in the crossover. A start tighter than Namorita's hairline!
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Call me biased, but I'll always love the New Warriors.
They were a better Teen Titans than the actual Titans at the time.
graveyardgremlin
The New Warriors had a very slow start for me, it wasn't until more than halfway that it finally started to click, and not because of some datedness. I think the writers and artists started finding their characters and where to go and how to get there. I happen to like some of retro-ness of the "heroes for the nineties" as is emblazoned a few places. Skateboards, blatant Batman rip-off, cheesy humor and slang, mention of one of my favorite shows ever (21 Jump Street); yeah, I'm not ashamed, I lo ...more
Daniel A.
I came into the first run of New Warriors late in the game, i.e. already when Evan Skolnick was the writer of the series. But, as I'll say a little later in this review, with this first volume of the series, Fabian Nicieza hit one out of the park pretty much off the bat (no puns intended, all around . . . or something along those lines).

The first volume of New Warriors was one of those series that benefited greatly from having a single (or, in the case of this particular series, two) writer(s) a
Brandon
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
New Warriors holds up surprisingly well. Mark Bagley's art is incredible - putting aside some very "90s" looking characters - and strikes a good balance between the more serious dramatic moments and the goofy teen silliness. Parts of the series can feel dated to the modern viewer, from some casual racism to some overt sexism (or at least off-putting objectification) towards female characters. Throughout the first volume Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley slowly start to build these characters up and ...more
Christopher
This was a loan/suggestion from a friend to give us background before the upcoming New Warriors TV show. But I had already read most of these way back in college. I don't remember if they were loaners then, found in some friend's collection, or abandoned in a dorm lounge. The only characters in common between the original team in this book and the TV crew will be uber-goofball Speedball and the '90's off-brand teen Batman - Night Thrasher (he's so edgy, he's black and rides a skateboard!)

The cha
Mikey The High School Librarian
New Warriors 1-4 and the 2 Thor issues were pretty awesome! The last 2 issues of New Warriors (5-6) were cringe worthy. Speedball and Namorita might be the two best characters on the team.
Marquis
May 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Aww, nothing like the feeling of visiting old friends! When I first started reading comics in the early 90's, NW felt like it was writen just for me. It was edgy, funny and most importantly fresh! Speedball was and still is my favorite and it was cool seeing Firestar transition from the cartoon "Spiderman and His Amazing Friends" to the world of Marvel. To this day, I still love how the team came together and how bad ass Night Thrasher was!
John Kirk
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Here's where it all began. Some of it's a bit ropey (particularly the Thor story), but at least it avoids the "decompression" trend of newer comics. This lays the groundwork for future stories, and there are two particular scenes that really impressed me on their own merits (for different reasons): (view spoiler) ...more
Jdetrick
I love the original New Warriors series; Fabian Nicieza did an amazing job developing these characters and making the book one of the strongest superhero titles of the time and Mark Bagley's pencils are amazing. This would easily be five stars if it didn't include two terribly mediocre issues of Thor, but if you ignore them, it's first rate all the way.
Chris
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the characters and seeing them learn to come together as a team. The early storylines (with the Juggernaut and the Inhumans) were strong as well.
Stephen Warren

• Hit-Girl, Volume 5: In Hong Kong
  • Kick-Ass, The New Girl: Book Three
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis, Volume 3
  • Avengers by Jason Aaron, Vol. 1: The Final Host
Fabian Nicieza is an American comic book writer and editor who is best known for his work on Marvel titles such as X-Men, X-Force, New Warriors, Cable and Deadpool, and Thunderbolts, for all of which he helped create numerous characters.

New Warriors (1990) (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • New Warriors #1