Start by marking “The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper's Feast” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper's Feast

The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper's Feast

The gadfly, dormouse, mole, hare, and other creatures prepare for the elegant, glittering Butterfly Ball and Grasshopper Feast. Nature notes on each animal are appended.
Published 1973 by Jonathan Cape Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper's Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper's Feast

Start your review of The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper's Feast
Madeline O'Rourke
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It does not feel right commenting of The Butterfly Ball and The Grasshopper's Feast. My words can do no justice to the original poem, and they certainly cannot capture the brilliance of the illustrations. As a child the pictures both intrigued and frightened me, and I appreciate them all the more as an adult. Aldrige's art is vibrant and intricate, giving way to more details the longer you look; it is art that could only have been born of a brilliant mind. Truly a book to treasure.
Sarah Jackson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book of verse, accompanied by full and lustrous illustrations of the Butterfly Ball. I remember this one from when I was a child - there was even a song and film clip released I believe. Great memories and a beautiful book that can be enjoyed by the whole family. A lovely addition to any collection.
Wes
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember being utterly captivated (and more than a little unnerved) for hours and hours by the intricate illustrations as a kid, and now as an adult the sense of wonder still survives as they are uniquely rich, vivid, and ever so slightly menacing!
Chris Lynch
A magical book of verses by William Plomer, beautifully illustrated by Alan Aldridge who was one of the premier illustrators of the 60's and 70's (he did the cover art for Elton John's 'Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy'). So much detail hiding in these pictures and a few puzzles for children to solve (including grown-up children of course).

I recently dug my copy out after many years for the benefit of my 6 year old daughter who loves it. There was also a concept album produced by
Robbie Cheadle
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Butterfly Ball and The Grasshopper's Feast is a beautiful story about the insects and small animals all getting ready to attend a ball. The story is told in poetry form and has the most wonderful colour illustrations you have ever seen. A vast number of interesting creatures are attending the ball, including Mrs Dormouse and her son, Tom, Old blind mole, Dandy Rat, who gets attacked and robbed on his way to the ball, the caterpillars, the spider and many, many more. There is a poem for each ...more
Becka
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
i loved this book when i was younger, even though it was second hand form my mum and she had torn half the pages out. You know a book is a classic when you never see the whole story and it doesn't matter because it's so beautiful. As an older girl now i've just relised there's some interesting natural history stuff crammed into the back after the poetry, which is nice, if a bit random.
i can't tell you anything about the storyline- i've never seen the compleate copy, but i can tell you that
Steph
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful retelling of a classic story. Though the artwork was a bit hard to see on my Kindle, it was still a very pleasurable read. To be able to view nature in its complete beauty is something that tends to elude us in our current society, and this story was a good escape away from our complex lives.
Kate
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
The illustrations by Alan Aldridge are really beautiful, vibrant and detailed; but I wasn't so keen on William Plomer's verse. It was quite jerky for my taste. This was published in 1973 and hasnt dated at all.
Alison
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book growing up. The artwork was amazing, very rich. The words were a little above my head at the time but it was just challenging enough to make me want to understand the bigger words. Sharing with my daughter now.
Mckinley
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, bugs
Remake of a classic story.
Kristi
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully entertaining artwork.
Andrea
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was bought for me during the 1970s by my Aunt and Uncle. I simply adored this book and spent many, many hours poring over every word and memorised by the stunning illustrations.
Chris
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting poetry, and amazing art make up this "children's" book about all kinds of animals, and insects laying down their stingers, etc. to have a peaceful day celebrating at a feast and ball.
David Green

• A Tolkien Bestiary
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
  • Julia
  • Hop On Pop
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Daughter of Regals and Other Tales
  • The Other Dog
  • Afterlife With Archie #1
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Gratitude of Kings (Thieves' World / Lythonde)
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Call Me Ahnighito
  • Ten in the Bed
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand (Disney Fairies #2)
  • Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
William Charles Franklyn Plomer CBE (he pronounced the surname as ploomer) was a South African and British author, known as a novelist, poet and literary editor. He was educated mostly in the United Kingdom, but described himself as an "Anglo-African-Asian".

He became famous in the Union of South Africa with his first novel, Turbott Wolfe, which had inter-racial love and marriage as a theme. He was