Start by marking “Smitten” as Want to Read:
Smitten

Smitten

With an unparalleled style and even more imagination, Gordon presents a story about an unlikely friendship between a sock and a mitten, who are both lost singles in a city full of pairs, and how differences can't stand in the way of a perfect pair. Full color.
Published December 26th 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Smitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smitten

Abigail
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Friendship
Shelves: picture-books
A solitary mitten who had lost the other one of her pair and a stray sock, fallen out of a laundry basket, pair up in order to find their respective partners in this sweet picture-book romp from author/illustrator David Gordon. Somewhat the worse for wear after their travails in the park, they find their way to a laundromat, and have great fun getting clean. Later, when Sock is stretched by two dogs playing tug-of-war, and Mitten becomes unraveled after her yarn is pulled by a subway car, each o ...more
Yvonne A.
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This lint-free love story of a sock and a mitten is a fun book for all ages. Even though it may be geared towards children I personally love this book and can read it over and over again. The author has actually done concept work for Pixar which makes sense as to why I enjoyed this book so much. Even adult’s love children’s movies such as Toy Story and Bug’s Life, so I am sure they will love this book as well. Reading this story as a teacher or a parent will allow for great bonding moments as we ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Mittens and socks always come in pairs. I've yet to be able to purchase only one mitten or one sock, even though my dryer has a bad habit of eating only one at a time!

In SMITTEN, a lost mitten atop a fence and a lonely sock dropped from a laundry basket set about on a quest to find their missing partners.

When the trampling feet of school children, a trip into a waste basket, two dogs, and a subway train get through with them, neither mitten
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K and up
SLJ says, "The personified garments are engaging." LOL! Less scientifically, this is a cute love story between a match-less sock and mitten who become...you guessed it...smitten. Would be fun for some kind of Matchmaker storytime (Porcupining, Stinky Smelly Feet); little kids will like the bright (digital!) illustrations and the ride in the laundromat dryer, while older kids will may chuckle over lines like "You should have told me you were wool!" Read it to find out how one sock can hold two kn ...more
Gina Diloreto
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gordon, D. "Smitten". (2006). New York: Simon & Schuster.

This is the story of a one sock and one mitten, who each lose their mate. They meet on the street and go looking for their matches. They encounter many obstacles, but together, they triumph. They decide that they don't need their match to be 'whole'. They decide to be each other's matches. They are 'smitten'. I would say this story would be on the interest level of kids in grades K-2.
D.peabody
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A sock and a mitten get lost together and after a few harrowing adventures a beautiful friendship forms. I love this book! It was beautiful and funny and at times it made me gasp with worry. This is a fabulous feel good story great for reading cuddled up one to one or to a crowd of children who will all go ohhhhh.
Lucy
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Sock and Mitten have both lost their pair. As they band together to search for thier missing other half, they face many dangers and help each other through. In the end, they realize that instead of being alone, they've found each other.

This book is AWESOME. Do I have to say it again? AWESOME. Sock and Mitten rock. My favorite part is the knitting scene. Check it out.
Susan
May 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, cute book about a romance between a single sock and a single mitten. Lots of food for thought for older kids is hidden in the simple story. There is a good lesson about staying with the loyal old friends vs. choosing the shiny, well-dressed new friends who may come along. Excellent story of loyalty and problem-solving. Great for classroom use and for reading aloud to kids at home, too.
Erin
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children, parents
Smitten is a sweet book about a mitten and a sock who have lost their partners and become friends. They have adventures and misadventures involving dogs & bicycles & the laundromat...subway tracks...a knitting store.... It's a story about friendship and taking care of each other. It would probably work for a preschool storytime, and it would definitely work for a bedtime story.
Suzie Bookgirl
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kjdavis
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-son
What a delightful story! This is currently a favorite at our house. We have read it every night for the past 2 1/2 weeks. Lovely illustrations and sweet story line about a sock and mitten who are both lost and are searching for their other halves. After quite a few (mis)adventures they discover they make a pretty good pair and are smitten! Too cute.
Sheniqua
This is the cutest little book about a lost little mitten and a forgotten sock who eventually becomes the best of friends. I would use this book for embracing individual differences, building classroom community, and appreciating friends and relationships. I would recommend this for k-2, but even plder kids would enjoy this story.
Christy
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
OMG! A must read! The story and illustrations are hilarious! A lost sock and mitten find friendship and adventure. This author has done work on animated movies like Toy Story. He has also written some other children books that are a spin on well known fairy tales: The Ugly Truckling - Three Little Rigs - Hansel and Diesel. Very cute! I mean manly!
Geneva Roberts
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book caught my eye at Barnes and Noble and I had to get it. Its artwork was very appealing and the message about even though we are different we can still be good friends was well done in this cute story.Sends a great message to kids.
10-11 kacie
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute. I love how they put sock and mitten together and made a book out of it. This book is adorable , cute and sad all at the same time. I like reading picture books with Mrs.Maples cause, i like it how she makes all all the charters come to life. ( In fanasy world).
Jessica
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is the beyond adorable story of a sock and a mitten who have lost their pairs. They set out to help each other find their missing half. Together, they deal with such troubles as shrinking and becoming undone! The pair finally realize that they can be a pair together. LOVE IT!
RachelAnne
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was so excited by the awesome title and by the very promising premise of a love story between a stray sock and a lone mitten, but the execution was somewhat lacking, and it was about average as a picture book. Still, it makes a great off-beat filler for your Valentine's Day book display.
Sandi
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a children's picture book, so it really doesn't count in my "2008 Books Read" total. But it was so adorable, I wanted to list it in order to recommend it to other knitters. As a sock knitter, it's my new bedtime story!
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The story of a lost sock and a lost mitten looking for the other in their pair. Good illustrations and an okay story. Much preferred David Gordon's rendering of old fairy tales using cars and trucks!
What can I say? This is a beautiful story of finding the right match (I'm such a hopeless romantic). Knowing they are not complete two lost individuals team up on a quest helping each other find their other half. Well, you'll have to read about their adventure and discovery for yourself.
Moorhead Public Library
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book melts my heart every time. A lone sock and solo mitten become friends and prove that pairs don't always have to match.

Reviewed by: deb
Brenda
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An adorable story of two unlikely friends who see each other through difficult situations. Going to get this for my niece!
Colleen Bost
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love everything about this book - it's magic. The truest definition of love:-)
Greta
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Cute.
Jackie
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A wonderful friendship/love story between a mitten and a sock. Lots of cute humor for the adult as well. It get lots of reading time at our house.
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
So cute! Sometimes your best "match" doesn't match you at all.
Lola Nicola
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the cutest books ever!!
Angie
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Pink mitten made this one a winner with my niece. Cute story about friends helping each other through thick and thin ... making a pair.
Roben
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
What happens when a pretty pink mitten, who has lost her mate, finds a lost blue sock in a similar situation? Why they have adventures, of course! And end up - Smitten!
Tara
I am enamoured of this sweet and winning tale of a mitten and sock that decide to become a pair. A Storytime must! (Also check out Hansel and Diesel by same author if you haven't already!)

• Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • Spork
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story
  • Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • Red-eyed Tree Frog
  • Square Cat
  • The Pink Refrigerator
  • Cherry and Olive
  • Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek
David Gordon has done visual development for numerous production companies from Lucasfilm to Pixar, including Toy Story; Monsters, Inc.; A Bug’s Life; Cars; BlueSky’s Robots; and Nickelodeon’s Spongebob Squarepants. He’s also written and illustrated several picture books, among them Hansel and Diesel, The Three Little Rigs, The Ugly Truckling, and Smitten. He’s one of the illustrators of Jon Scies ...more