Start by marking “The Cat at Night” as Want to Read:
The Cat at Night

The Cat at Night

Join the farmer's cat on his fascinating nighttime journey through fields, farms, forests, and even the city to see what only he can see after the sun sets. Legendary artist Dahlov Ipcar mesmerizingly alternates between dark night scenes and vivid color to deliver a beautifully illustrated children's classic.
Published January 1st 2008 by Islandport Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat at Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat at Night

Meredith
A cat spends the night roaming the farmyard, the surrounding fields and forest, and the nearby town before returning home.

This book introduces young readers to the concept of nocturnal/diurnal as well as the common animals (both domestic and wild) in North America's temperate zone.

The design employs a clever device to convey how a nocturnal animal sees at night. The same scene is presented first in black silhouette and then color to contrast how a daytime creature and a nighttime creature would
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This is a wonderful Ipcar book that introduces children to the "nightlife" of cats. The pages alternate between dark, silhouetted nighttime scenes (how we would see it) and lighter, clearer pages that show the same scene the way the cat would see it at night. My kids enjoyed trying to find the cat in the darker scenes and figuring out what setting he was in before we turned the page.
Jill
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Another one from Aunt Sally. I like the unusual spin of showing the same illustration--once in shadow then seeing it through the eyes of a cat at night. I think Sally told me this artist lives close to her in Maine--near Five Islands (if I'm getting that name right). She pointed out her house when we were in the area for fresh lobster and steamers.
Bonnie
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
I love this! Newly re-issued this year (originally published in 1969), her art is reminiscent of Wanda Gag's work and Eve Rice's Goodnight, Goodnight. The contrast of silhouette spreads with colored spreads lends the book to many uses with pre-k and up audiences, and creates a mini-mystery on each set of pages.
Milena
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a quite unique book. The story is about all the things that a cat does during the night, all the places it goes, and all the animals he encounters. The illustrations are amazing and interesting since they represent the vision of the cat at night. Dahlov is the best. Recommended age: 6 years old or more.
Janet
Published originally in 1969, this title and its great illustrations is perfect for today.
The focus of the cat being able to see in the dark sets up the sequence of the illustrations by showing black illustrations as what humans would see and then what the cat is seeing on the next two page spread. I especially like the illustration of the garden at night. And the text telling saying that butterflies are seen in the daytime and moths appear at night was a nice touch. Wonderful that Ipcar's illu
Cat
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Illustrations were lovely, but I really dislike outdoor cat stories...
Mariana
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahora quiero tener un gato para perseguirlo de noche jejeje. Me encantó este cuento y las ilustraciones están divinas!!!
Regine
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ehon
Interesting idea and illustrations. Flatly written.
Sara Tranum
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-kids
The Cat at Night is a delightful book for the busy mom to read (with kids). From the fields to the town, the farmer’s cat will take you on a journey of all the wondrous things to be seen and excitement that awaits after nightfall. After all, who hasn’t wondered what adventures your cats have while you sleep?

The story in The Cat at Night is a simple, yet marvelous. Ms. Ipcar introduces concepts that are sure to be new and fascinating to young readers such as night vision and nocturnal creatures.
Allison
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ipcar's charming picture book describes a cat's nightly routine in the country and city. Her beautiful illustrations depict both the nighttime version (what we see) and then what the cat can see. The first is nothing but a dark blue background with black silhouettes in various shapes. These work to help children anticipate and try to identify objects based on shapes. The following spread shows what the cat sees, which is full of color and detail. As the cat lives on a farm, she walks through tab ...more
Dina
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting depiction of how a cat sees at night. I especially like the double views of the same scene: the first 2-page spread shows you nights as we see it--dark with shadowy silhouettes; next, the way the cat sees it-- as if it were light as day. It's fun to guess what the cat sees based on the silhouettes.
Melle
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids of all ages who love cats and cuddles
This is the kind of book I can imagine my Grandma B. reading with me on her lap when I was a girl -- a soft, sweet, gentle, gorgeously-illustrated story about a cat's adventures after the farm family goes to bed.
Cassie
Take a journey with a cat through the many beauties of nighttime. You’ll first the scene as it would appear to you and then to your cat. This sweet and simple book will invite readers to wonder what their cats do all night!
Jody
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cats really do get around at night!
Sara
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful illustrations. A neat story - I love the contrast between what humans see at night and what a cat sees.
Mushi
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pam
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated story of a cat and what he does all night long.
Mckinley
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like the 2 visions - the darkness and how the cat sees it all.
EJP
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cute story that helps educate about cats with fascinating illustrations.
Anselm
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this one's a knock out. better than symbolism, and most movies.
Sarah Sammis
Dec 12, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Sarah by: Design of the Picture Book
Shelves: pc, exwishlist
The Hayward Bookshop
Lea
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Little Fisherman was our family's first introduction to Ipcar. I enjoy The Cat at Night even more!
Danielle Mootz
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
We loved this book. The visual play and participation got my 4-year old on board immediately
Danielle
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bold, modern illustrations.
Very cool cat.
Love the dark, silhouetted pages.
Dannie
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Beautiful illustrations, engaging for kids, and lots of prepositions (among, beneath, through, etc.)
Krystin Griffith

• Circle Dogs
  • Posy
  • Goodbye Mog
  • The Story of the Snow Children
Dahlov Ipcar was an American painter, illustrator and author.