Start by marking “Power of 10: The Once-A-Week Slow Motion Fitness Revolution” as Want to Read:
Power of 10: The Once-A-Week Slow Motion Fitness Revolution

Power of 10: The Once-A-Week Slow Motion Fitness Revolution

Fitness expert Adam Zickerman presents a revolutionary exercise program – slow strength training – that will forever change the way people work out.

The Power of 10 seems to contradict nearly everything we're accustomed to hearing about exercise. Forget hours on the treadmill, and forget daily visits to the gym. This new program offers 20 minute workout sessions, once or
Published December 23rd 2003 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published December 24th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Power of 10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power of 10

Start your review of Power of 10: The Once-A-Week Slow Motion Fitness Revolution
Teena in Toronto
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
In 2004, I joined a gym, hired a trainer, lost a bunch of weight and got healthy. Then my trainer moved to a gym in the east end of the city and I switched to a different gym closer to home in the west end. I wanted to keep up with weight training and eventually bought this book as it sounded similar to the principles that Yvette had been using with me ... heavy weights and slow reps.

Then life got busy, I got lazy and gained weight back. The book has sat on a shelf for years. The pages of my
Jacob Cruzan
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports-exercise
This book is okay. Concentrates on slow motion exercises. The routines are full body, but most need weights. I was looking for weight free exercises. This was not too useful to me.
Vishnu
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Out of 3 pillars - The nutrition pillar falls flat through the recommendation of low-fat albeit non-sugar diet. Not convinced by the constant tempo of each rep which suggests a one-size fit all approach. While it may help complete newbies, but not convinced if this is sustainable for long-term as one increases his fitness/skill levels.
Lisa
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People who read the Slow Burn Fitness Revolution read this one too, so I thought I'd better. I've been doing the Slow Burn workout for about a month now and I really like it a lot. They don't talk as much about nutrition as this book does, though and I think I need to be a bit more conscious about that part as well as the workout. Also, they don't talk about not stopping the motion of the weights, so I think I'll add that in; and they don't talk about the ten seconds of "burn" after you reach ...more
Mauri Baumann
Interesting book...interesting concept.

Do the weights but slowly....10 seconds out....10 seconds in. Ideally, use machines over free weights.
You need to do it once for 20 minutes/week. And you'll see the effects in 2 weeks.

I tried this. I watched the clock. 10 seconds in....10 seconds out. It had an effect at first and then nothing.

I am now back to my classes with free weights....and ow I hurt!! I like the idea of 20 minutes/week...but when it doesn't work....it's not worthwhile.

Oh and there
Jessie
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Written with! So much! Enthusiasm! This is going to!! Change my life!!

No cardio! Only weight lifting! And rest! (check-already do that one) And a healthy diet!(um, maybe someday!)

I started five weeks ago, but have gotten to the gym 1x a week more than 2x. Although the book says once a week, you have to build up to that over months of going 2x a week. Currently my only cardio is my walk 3 blocks up hill my bus stop. Over the course of this five weeks of no cardio, that walk has become
Tara
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't feel like the other reviews listed do this training method justice. Another book similar to this one called "Body By Science" provides a better scientific rationale for this slow motion, high intensity training. I felt like this book gave more application techniques and incorporated more on nutrition and rest, which was helpful. I have been doing a form of this once a week training, and I am a ton stronger and am seeing more muscle definition.
Mark
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was ok

Chapter one: you'll be told this is a great way to train, and if it wasn't, thousands of people wouldn't be learning it. Thousands of people are undoubtedly learning Zumba, and P90X, and TRX, and any number of other crap forms of recreation calling itself exercise.

This book has more problems than that, to be sure. Not recommended.
Christine
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Lifting weights in this way feels like a combination of isometrics and traditional resistance training. There are lots of routines given so you don't get bored. It's quick enough that I can do the 2x a week workouts before each swim, so I get maximum efficiency out of my trips to the gym.
Christine
Interesting concept, filled with testimonials of people who tried this type of weight training and have succeeded. This is written in an easy to understand manner without sounding like an infomercial.

Worth trying for yourself if you have the equipment and or gym membership.
Brienne
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I love the idea of working out only a few times a week. I've actually tried it, and it works well enough for me.
hissi
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
old but gold book. basically make your lifts up to 20 seconds and lift until failure
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This all made a lot of sense to me, so I am now putting it to the test. We shall see. I personally know of people who do the slow burn method and have received great results from it.
David Lubin
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good adjunct to Slow Motion weight training which I read earlier today. Combine this book with the exercises from Slow Motion and you should be good to go.
Nicolas Holzapfel
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Clear and practical instructions. Time will tell if it works for me. Nutritional advice is just conventional wisdom, which my recent reading makes me doubt.
Jen
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jen by: Arshe
I tried it out and felt the burn, so we'll see after a few weeks if the 20-minute, once-a-week workout (with appropriate food choices and rest) makes me more fit.
Debbie Nichols
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

I just started but so far it's wonderful. Warning. He moved his website and joined others so the link doesn't work.
Mike
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Written well, good idea.
Alaeddin Hallak
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I'm going back to high-intensity training. Better results, more time efficient.
Roxanne Nichols
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Similar to slow burn 30 minute workout. this one is geared more toward the gym with little examples of workouts at home
Scott McDonald
Jul 27, 2019
Jim
Nov 22, 2016
Misty
rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2015
Ed Wayne Morris
Nov 16, 2015

• Body by Science: A Research-Based Program for Strength Training, Body Building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week
  • Lab 257: The Disturbing Story of the Government's Secret Germ Laboratory
  • Leaky Gut, Leaky Cells, Leaky Brain (Connect the Dots Book 1)
  • Wired for Healing: Remapping the Brain to Recover from Chronic and Mysterious Illnesses
  • Embrace the Suck: A Crossfit Memoir
  • Your Teenager Is Not Crazy: Understanding Your Teen's Brain Can Make You a Better Parent
  • Term Limits
  • The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases
  • To Hell with the Hustle
  • Toxic: Heal Your Body from Mold Toxicity, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, and Chronic Environmental Illness
  • Break The Mold: 5 Tools to Conquer Mold and Take Back Your Health