Start by marking “Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)

Lessons in Discovery

(Cambridge Fellows #3)

Cambridge, 1906.

Published May 2009 by Linden Bay Romance

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in Discovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in Discovery

K
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
What should have been a celebration of their first anniversary turns into a disaster when Orlando falls down the stairs and bangs his head, resulting in post-traumatic amnesia that wipes out the previous 12 months from his memory. With no idea of his relationship with Jonty, Orlando is understandably confused by the fact that he now has a friend. Unable to return to work, the college Master's sister, provides Orlando with papers concerning a mystery surrounding the "Woodville Ward", who disappea ...more
F.
Enjoy reading about these two. Like the strong female secondary characters that exist in this male dominated world.
Leslie Nicoll
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Orlando’s broken memory may break his lover’s heart.
Cambridge Fellows Mysteries, Book 3

Cambridge, 1906.

On the very day Jonty Stewart proposes that he and Orlando Coppersmith move in together, Fate trips them up. Rather, it trips Orlando, sending him down a flight of stairs and leaving him with an injury that erases his memory. Instead of taking the next step in their relationship, they’re back to square one. It’s bad enough that Orlando doesn’t remember being intimate with Jonty–he doesn’t remem
Pye
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another excellent installment. I enjoyed Jonty and Orlando's rediscovery of each other, however Jonty's trials during Orlando's amnesia broke my heart. This series is one of my favorites.
Melanie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lessons In Discovery is the third in the Cambridge Fellows series, and the one that cemented my love for Jonty and Orlando. With the first book, the characters felt very removed and dispassionate. I loved the historical feel of the book, but the men? Not so much. The second book, Lessons in Seduction, started to draw me in, as the characters fleshed out and become real. Then the angst and layers of Lessons in Discovery pulled me completely into the world of St. Bride's and the pairing of Drs. C ...more
Kassa
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Continuing my reviews of this series, we’re now into book three. The series has definitely settled into a pattern with good characters that develop slowly in the context of each book while having a parallel light mystery occurring at the same time. The mystery is afforded as much page time as the actual relationship of Orlando and Jonty, yet the focus is firmly on the characters themselves. The solid writing is more engaging in this offering and the humor and light hearted wit bring more enterta ...more
nisie draws
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, I'm always a sucker for amnesia fics. I thought the mystery they were solving was a little boring and also unbelievable - a murderer conveniently leaving behind a cache of encoded messages detailing the whole case that are suddenly discovered 400 years later?

But overall a good read because it was precious to see two gays fall in love all over again :)
Rory Auden
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance, mystery
My favorite one of the series
Elisa Rolle
I suspect that Charlie Cochrane is a little prude as her character Orlando; and since I like Orlando, don't take this as a complaint, it's only that Charlie Cochrane's books are not notorious to be overly erotic, but more subtly sexy. The first book in the series was almost chaste, with some hints here and there that something was happening between Orlando and Jonty, but not real explicit proofs. In the second book it was expected for them to move on in their relationship, to deepen it... now, d ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
Happy sigh. I love these books so much. They are just stuffed full with warm affectionate humorous sentiment, just the thing when you need to settle in for a comfy read.

For those not familiar with these books, this is a series set in the early 1900's, about two young professors at St. Bride's College, Cambridge. Jonty is a Shakespeare scholar, while Orlando is a brilliant professor of mathematics. When they first meet, Orlando is a terribly withdrawn, shy, humorless man who seems to have what we
Sophia
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't know if it is just me, but these books just seem to get better with each new installment. This one goes deeper yet with the relationship between Orlando and Jonty because Orlando completely loses all memory of Jonty when he hits his head in an accident. They are forced to start again with a relationship and Jonty has to be so strong as Orlando slowly assimilates all that he is missing from his memories. During this time they have a mystery from St. Bride's distant past to solve.

The myste
Julesmarie
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was a little worried that the amnesia would feel like starting over already. And it sort of did. But only in the sense that the delightfully-perfect-together Orlando and Jonty got to have some of their firsts all over again. And getting to see them get to have brand-new-first times was wonderfully great fun.

Some Favorite Quotes:
"Do you know, the man who invented this compared it to tasting stars."

Neither love nor easy laughter would have been possible before Jonty came along.

"This has been y
Elizabeth H.
Again, I do think that Cochrane left some delightful possiblities on the table in this third book of the Cambridge Fellows series, and even so I give the novel five stars. I was hoping for a more drawn out period of re-discovery between Jonty and Orlando: it all went a bit too smoothly for me, even with Orlando throwing up at the news that he'd been lovers with Jonty! The best part for me was the visit to Jonty's family's home. All secondary characters very well drawn.

It was only after I'd finis
Heather
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read Review July 2016:
My heart still broke for Jonty and Orlando when Orlando took his fall, even knowing the hows and whys it still tore at me. I love this series even more the second time around.

Original Review from August 2014:
After reading the first chapter in this entry, my heart was breaking for both Jonty and Orlando. For Orlando, because he was missing the past year of his life, for Jonty, because he didn't know if his lover would ever be his again. My heart pounded throughout the sto
Tamela
Oh my, this one was a little hard to read. After being so happy with the way things were moving and how Orlando was truly coming into his own as a lover, it was such a blow to have him injured. The fact that he didn't remember Jonty was a blow for me as well as Jonty but it was a happy realization that even though Orlando had stepped back in their relationship, he had not gone completely back into his shell.

An intriguing mystery to solve as well as the support of friends and family made the slo
Holly
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical, mystery
I think this is the last review I have to catch up with. Yay.

As I said for the previous book, the Cambridge Fellows series is dependable, comfort read fun. Historical! Sweet! A mystery!

In this installment, Orlando's had an accident and Jonty is recovering from influenza and there is a local legend to investigate. So off they go to Jory's home for some research and recovery.

Since the murder is a historical one (even for them), there is no murderer to catch and no urgency to the investigation, but
Suze
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another lovely installment in the series.
With both Orlando and Jonty being ill, it is time for a gentler story.
Orlando suffers from amnesia after a fall, so allowing us to relive them 'getting back together' all over again!
Jonty suffers the flu allowing Orlando to show his more caring side, even with his amnesia.
So, with all these illnesses, they can not go gallivanting around Cambridge - so a centuries old mystery is given to them and it unfolds nicely. It also allows us greater insight into Jo
Annelise Lestrange
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, m-m, reviewed
Orlando gets more perfect at each book I read. He's just sooo cute!

Anyway, back to business. (view spoiler)

And I really enjoyed the murder case this time. (view spoiler)
Another lovely installment to what is becoming one of my favorite series. There was quite the anguish with Orlando's amnesia and Jonty's illness, but the rectifying of those was so sweet. I loved spending the Christmas holiday with the boys and family (Jonty in a kilt). The mystery was a bit different in that it happened hundreds of years ago, but was still enjoyable and exciting. Also Miss Peters was an excellent addition ; I hope she becomes a staple. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Nan Hawthorne
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtq
I wiah everyone in the world who ever doubts that two men, or two women, can love each other deeply and tenderly would read this book. This is a sweet, healing story of such a love.. and a good mystery too. Everytime I ffinish one of these books I fell as if I have left home and loved ones behind.
Kate McMurray
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
There's a silly amnesia plot, but it works here as it, in essence, puts Jonty and Orlando back at Square One in the romance department, so we get to see Orlando fall in love all over again. I was thinking as I read that they'd get on just fine in the event Orlando never recovered his memories -- y'all will have to read it to find out if he does.
Mara Ismine
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A poignant glimpse of Orlando as he might have been with a more liberal childhood. Jonty's determination not to presume or influence Orlando's recovery in his favour is painfully beautiful. And the historical mystery is captivating.
J.P. Bowie
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love these guys - their growing relationship is threatened when Orlando falls down stairs and gets memory loss out of it - but fortunately he's okay with Jonty showing affection even though he doesn't really remember him. Love the writing here too - very atmospheric. Great series.
Saba
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was fun, I've been using this series so far as a pick-me-up after some heavy stories, and it hasn't failed yet to brighten my mood and leave me with a smile.
Bookbee
Still love these characters. The secondary characters are also well-drawn and eminently likeable!
Liz Lovesrainbows
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery and love story
Sara Andrea
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mistery, romance
Awwwwww!!! I love them. Very fun and romantic. Just as I like them.
Edina Rose
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. So far, this is the best I've read in the series.
Linda-Grace
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful!
  • Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1)
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • Winds of Change (Royal Navy, #2)
  • The Only Gold
  • Fortune Hunter (Brook Street, #2)
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • False Colors
  • Frost Fair
  • Deadly Dreams (Deadly Mystery, #3)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Downtime
Because Charlie Cochrane couldn't be trusted to do any of her jobs of choice—like managing a rugby team—she writes. Her mystery novels include the Edwardian era Cambridge Fellows series, series, and the contemporary Best Corpse for the Job. Multi-published, she has titles with Carina, Samhain, Riptide and Bold Strokes, among others.

A member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, Mystery People a

Cambridge Fellows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)
  • Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)
  • Lessons in Temptation (Cambridge Fellows, #5)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Cambridge Fellows, #6)
  • Lessons in Trust (Cambridge Fellows, #7)
  • All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows, #8)
  • Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)
  • Lessons for Suspicious Minds (Cambridge Fellows, #10)
  • Lessons for Idle Tongues (Cambridge Fellows, #11)