Start by marking “The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1)

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever

(Bevelstoke #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  29,470 ratings  ·  1,364 reviews

2 March 1810 . . .
Today, I fell in love.

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her—until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day s

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 1st 2007)

·  29,470 ratings  ·  1,364 reviews

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

▒ 24 JULY 2015 ▒

Good Lord. Today I fell in love. And then I fell out of love. Sigh.

I ought to be shameful, I know that. What is it exactly? Have I the attention span of a squirrel (don't ask why a squirrel, I have no idea)? I wonder, I wonder.

And yet things had started so well. It appears that I can't help myself : give me a smart, brave, strong-minded heroine who doesn't shy away from her desires and a - a what exactly? A sexy broken man? Put them together and then let the magic begin : hilari
Jilly
My favorite moment in this book is when the heroine has to be physically restrained because she opens a can of whoop-ass on a bookstore owner who refuses to sell her a book because he only sells to men. Apparently, they had bookstores for men only, and women only. WTF?

You go, girl!

Our story is about a kid who develops a crush on her bff's older brother and then carries that torch for him for years. Even though he turns into kind of an ass, she sees him through rose-colored glasses and is madly i
Katerina
'Tis nice, but it ain't Bridgertons.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

A couple of years ago when I first joined Goodreads, one of my favorite things to do was stalk my favorite authors' bookshelves.

It probably still would be, but when I say "stalk" I mean it, so I've already added anything of interest, and to keep doing it would crossover into creepy territory.

Can't have that.

*snickers*

At the time, I still hadn't ever read a straight-up historical romance, but after my success with KMM's Highlander series, I was more open to the possibility, so when Ilon
Sans
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-my-cuppa, series
Fair warning: This is a gut-reaction review, written under the influence of my monthly "gift" from mother nature. Perhaps if I'd read this at a different time, I could have found some redeeming qualities about it. But I didn't, so I can't.

I'm slightly horrified by this book. Specifically by Turner and, to a lesser extent, by Miranda herself. I can't think of anything in the book I can qualify as "romance" and still hold my head up high.

First, Turner. An asshat of epic proportions. He's an emotio
Miriam
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book really fell off for me in the last third. I like Quinn's writing (despite the scattering of anachronistic expressions which sometimes threw me out of the era), I mostly liked Miranda, and I was prepared to like Turner if he got over his conviction that his previous lousy marriage entitled him to be a jerk. But I was really waiting not for him to fall in love with Miranda but to develop some respect for her and treat her as an adult, a friend, an equal. And I felt that Quinn wrote their ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I got 60% in before I just could not take another moment. Turner is a jerk. How many times does a guy have to break your heart before you move on? This pattern plays on repeat over and over: Miranda feels sympathy, she opens with a vulnerable moment, Turner rejects her and makes her feel small, Miranda retreats to lick her wounds. By the third time, with no apology or even acknowledgement by the jerk, I was just done. Frankly, at this point, Miranda knows who and what he is. I don't see why she' ...more
valee
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this was such a sweet story. I loved every page of it. I couldn't put it down, which I'm sorry because it was over so fast that I feel bad for having spend money in something that lasted useful in my hands only some hours,lol. Then again, I can't think in anything better than spending my money in this amazing books,lol, I don't regret it of course. It's just that sometimes it hurts to see my money being consumed so fast. But I guess you just can't help it when you find a good book.

Julia Quin
Ginger
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
And the end of the year ends with a sweet romance, so sweet that my teeth ache! 😂

I loved parts of the book, especially the character of Miranda. And other parts of the book annoyed me. The whole, “Why don’t you love me?” plot was a bit much. The book could have been about 70 pages less and got a better rating from me.

I’ll still continue with the series though because I’m sure there will be a story about Olivia and I’m looking forward to that book!
Rane
At the tender age of ten Miranda Cheever fell in love with the brother of her best friend; Viscount Turner, with his act of kindness to a awkward growing girl, Miranda never forgot his words that day to her and kept a journal with her thoughts of love since then. Now years later the once kind and caring Viscount Turner, Nigel Bevelstoke is left a bitter and cold hearted man after his wife ripped all his dreams of love and family to sheds with her numerous affairs before her death.
To return the
Sabina
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this and for the first 2/3 of the book I really enjoyed it. There’s a ton of witty dialogue that is trademark Julia Quinn. She has a way of making you feel a part of her protagonists’ lives. I loved the diary entries.
Nadia
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have no bookshelves to put this book on.

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever was my third book by Julia Quinn, and it seems that the third try is the charm. -ish.

While I wasn't deeply offended by it, as I was with The Duke and I , or so indifferent to it that I found it utterly forgettable, as is the case with To Catch an Heiress, The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever leave still a lot to be desired.

What bothered me most, besides the age difference and the fact that the heroine is
Brittany B.
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HR fans
Recommended to Brittany B. by: Anzu The Great Destroyer
I'm not surprised ths one the Rita award in 2008! It very much deserved it.
A Must Read!
I ADORE Miranda Cheever. She and her sweet friend Olivia are two of my favorite characters in modern writing.

The story was lovely and unexpected, filled with the unrequited love of a ten year old girl. (Miranda Cheeser) And with the pain and disenchantment with life that comes when all your hopes and dreams in life are shattered. (Turner Bevelstock) And it is about so much more, to be sure.

One of the theme
Maxine
Apr 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Christine
Dec 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is a rare one-star book that I actually finished, largely because I'm still waiting for the two books I want to read to come in the mail and I couldn't sleep last night.

I'm afraid this is everything trite and meaningless about HEA romance. I can't stand romance novels in which the crux of the tension is the hero's inability to say three words. This book exacerbates the problem because it is so perfectly obvious that the hero does love the heroine and he shows her in a million ways, which l
Mariana
Upping to 3.5 stars second time around.

First time:
This may be my least favorite Julia Quinn book, certainly in the bottom three. Miranda was too foolish and Turner was too much of a jerk for it to strike me as amusing.
Juliana Philippa
I was so excited for this book as Julia Quinn is a favorite of mine; I normally love her work and I also (surprise, surprise) love to see the quiet/shy girl get the guy. Though there was witty dialog and moments that had me laughing out loud, I really have to say I was disappointed and bothered by many aspects of this book.

PRAISE:
(1) Funny moments that will make you laugh
(2) Connection between Turner and Miranda is interesting to watch in about the first half of the book
(3) I liked Olivia and Tu
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Miranda Cheever fell in love with her best friend's older brother when she was a young girl, now as a young woman...she's still just as in love. Seeing him so wracked with hatred and unhappiness after his philandering wife's death she longs for the man she remembers, the kind and funny man she fell in love with. Turner doesn't remember Miranda being so interesting or desirable, but after his bitter marriage full of disappointment and heartbreak he isn't willing to risk falling in love again, es
Cindy
Regency romance with sex.

I really don't think Julia Quinn even wrote this. It just doesn't seem like something she'd write. There's very little humor in it & JQ is all about humor in her stories.

I didn't like Miranda. Her heart is always on her sleeve & for what? One act of kindness 10 years ago? We get the tired old "Let's get you out of those wet clothes" trope. Divested of her virginity, Miranda waits in vain for a kind word or marriage proposal.

Turner is a Jerk with a capital J.
Jaclyn
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much drama and so addicting!! Loved it!!
FlibBityFLooB
I think that this is one of those books that lots of people won't like, but I am not one of them. I love a bittersweet story of romance. The kind of melancholy tale that pulls your heart strings because it's more realistic. I read some reviews where people complained about a hero not being able to say the dreaded three words (I LOVE YOU). However, I honestly felt bad for the hero in this story. I could feel his pain, and I could feel the heroine's pain.

One reason I love Julia Quinn as an author
Barbara
So...I started off loving this book even though the "hero" (Turner) was kind of (for a lack of a better word) weak. I instantly connected with Miranda... oh how I love the ugly duckling turned beautiful swan stories...but something happened that threw the book way off track and it never came full circle for me. I have read so many books where the main man went through a great tragedy and never quite moved on until he was faced with the loss of the smartest and the most gorgeous gal in England. T ...more
Yankeecountess

So I have this mental list of amazing male protagonists from novels, men who get to stand proud and tall in their billowy tucked-in, unbuttoned shirts, as I bestow upon them admission to the exclusive “Best Romantic Heroes in Literature” Club.

…Nigel Bevelstoke, Viscount Turner is not one of them.

**Full-Steam Spoilers (and Rants) Ahead**

First off, I would like to point out that this is the third book by Ms. Quinn that I have read, and funnily enough, the three books I have read have been THIS
ᴥ Irena ᴥ

The prologue of The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever introduces us to an adorable ten-year-old girl who still has to grow into herself. That was what Viscount Turner, then 19, told her when he escorted her home. That and to start writing a journal. Their conversation on their way to her house is lovely. You'll fall in love with her character right away.
So, she listened and asked for a journal from her absent-minded scholar father and wrote: 2 March 1810 . . . Today, I fell in love. Adorabl
Zoe
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
It was all rather sweet, writing definitely on the more sophisticated side in this genre. This whole "why won't you love me" thing got on my nerves. It dragged on for too long.

The characters of Turner and Miranda were inconsistent. But I did not dislike either of them so that was ok. This book reminds me of Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, where a little girl who felt insecure about her looks was re-assured by a big brother and decided at a tender age that he was THE ONE. But Miranda
Lady Wesley
This book appealed to me more in the audio version than when I read it several years ago. Jenny Sterlin did a fine job narrating.
Avid Booker
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Want A book Where there's Not Much Going On UNTIL THE LAST 30%
At some points I REALLY liked this book and at some points I hated it or was bored. The first half will bore you to tears. The middle will have you uncomfortable and feeling bad for the heroine. The last portion will have YOU CRYING.

Honestly this book I felt bad for the heroine. She has unrequited love for her best friend's brother who had merely said some kind words to her while he was going through her awkward stage. She loved him through his failed marriage and everything. Luckily she was you
Sha
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I'm reading this book. I totally loved it the first time, and it turned me off the second. I think I've comfortably settled in the middle the third time around.

Pros:
1. I like Turner much more than I thought I would. I expected to despise him from what I remembered of round two, but he's acting pretty understandably for a depressed person.
2. Some of the jokes and dialogues are grinworthy. Turner and Miranda's sniping is pretty fun.
3. I really like the extended Bevelstoke f
Under the Covers Book Blog

Help finding book. PLEASE 4 25 Feb 08, 2018 09:49PM
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 2 Jul 28, 2015 06:41PM
THE BEST HISTORICAL ROMANCE EVER 17 261 Feb 27, 2014 02:55PM

• Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • Fool for Love (Duchess Quartet, #2)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
  • Yours Until Dawn
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more

Bevelstoke (3 books)
  • What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2)
  • Ten Things I Love About You (Bevelstoke, #3)
“She hated that she was still so desperate for a glimpse of him, but it had been this way for years.” 527 likes
“Now I want you to listen to me," he said in a low voice, taking her chin in his hand and forcing her to look at him. "And listen carefully, because I'm only going to say this once. You are going to marry me before this week is out. Since you have conveniently run off to Scotland, we don't need a special license. You're just lucky I don't haul you off to a church right this instant. Get yourself a dress and get yourself some flowers, because, sweeetheart, you're getting yourself a new name.” 37 likes