Start by marking “Historia twojego życia” as Want to Read:
Historia twojego życia

Historia twojego życia

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  49,937 ratings  ·  6,543 reviews
Ted Chiang, amerykański pisarz azjatyckiego pochodzenia, pisze wyłącznie opowiadania, ale o każde biją się największe amerykańskie periodyki SF. Nic dziwnego, Chiang jest etatowym laureatem największych nagród w światowej fantastyce.

Każda nowela Chianga to inny temat, czytając je dziwisz się, że nikt dotąd o tym nie pisał. Chiang wypracował też niepowtarzalny s
Published May 30th 2006 by Solaris (first published July 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Historia twojego życia, please sign up.
Katie Fellows no tears from me but it certainly impacted me on both an emotional and mental level. There are a few stories in here (ie Hell is the Absence of God,…moreno tears from me but it certainly impacted me on both an emotional and mental level. There are a few stories in here (ie Hell is the Absence of God, Division by Zero, and Story of your Life) that have very emotional ties but for the most part, I would not label it a tear jerker by any means. Still excellent though(less)
Amelia Volkova The movie has some minor changes,but is largely based on it and the story they filmed is more than the book tells us. Also,they made the alphabet for…moreThe movie has some minor changes,but is largely based on it and the story they filmed is more than the book tells us. Also,they made the alphabet for heptapods that was described in the story. Read first or watch first,doesn't matter,you need to do both,because they complete eachother(less)

·  49,937 ratings  ·  6,543 reviews

Start your review of Historia twojego życia
Cecily

Reading is nothing; comprehension is everything”.
Sarah Richards

I read the title short story while away at a conference for technical writers. The quote above came from a presentation about transforming the Government Digital Service, but the issues of communication (context and audience) that are at the heart of this story are key to technical writing and had echoes in many of the presentations. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Ted Chiang is also a technical writer.

Note: This review is just the title story. I've reviewed the others in thiwriter.
Note:“Reading
Bradley
Update: Saturday the 12th, November 2016

I just watched the movie The Arrival and OMG it was amazing. :) :) :)
I cried. Like, a lot. I had chills and sat on the edge of my seat and I was totally engaged.
What's worse? The personal aspects of the movie just blew me away. And even worse? The mental ones were profound and beautiful and amazing. :) I AM SQUEEEING!!!!

Now here's the big question: Am I a fanboy because the movie only improved my appreciation of the original
Kevin Kelsey
Posted at Heradas

Ted Chiang’s name continually comes up in lists of great short stories. He’s never written a novel, but his short fiction has won nearly every SF award that exists. 4 Nebulas, 4 Hugos, John W. Campbell, Locus, and on and on. He’s greatly admired among authors and almost entirely unknown by most readers. I’ve heard him referenced as an inspiration by several authors that I enjoy reading. Specifically Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (who collectively write the Expanse series under the pseudonym
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I don't read very many short stories collection but after this one I feel like I now need to.

This one contains the most mind bending and original sci-fi stories I've read in a while.

My favorite what the last one!
Apatt
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
"Interfering Gremlin of GR" Alert!
This review was originally of the anthology Stories of Your Life and Others, then recently I wrote a separate review for the individual story "Story of Your Life". Today I woke up to find GR have merged the two reviews. WTF? Now it looks super long-winded! OK, I'd better reorganize this review a bit.
fancy line

Review of the novella "Story of Your Life"

Story of Your Life is one of TLife"
Storyclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Review
Adina
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
3.5* for the 4 stories I read

I am not the number 1 expert or fan of short stories so please take my review with a grain of salt. This is the first SF anthology that I read so I am basically a newbie in this genre. I will review 2-3 stories at the time as I am going through other books at the same time and I would not want to forget what I read.

Tower of Babylon 2.5*
As synopsis the story is about people in the Old Testament reality which are building a tower to heaven and a surprise wait
Manuel Antão
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, favorites
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Coding Languages vs. Natural Languages: “Story of Your Life and Others” by Ted Chiang

Are you familiar with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis? Back in the day when I was in college I remember writing a paper on applying this language paradigm to coding. It was so long ago I don’t really remember what I wrote, but I still remember agreeing with the fact that coding could also be a fitting subject to the Sapir-Whorf wis
BlackOxford
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving Imperfections

If arithmetic were consistent, love could not exist. That is to say, if arithmetic were undeniably logical in its foundations, logic would rule the worild and love would be eliminated as the irrational thing it is. This is how I read the moral of Chiang‘s marvellous story.

Mathematicians tend to view numbers as the natural constituents of the universe, existing independently in a Platonic realm of perfection. Such a universe is orderly, reliable and comprehensible even
Joe Valdez
My introduction to the fiction of American author Ted Chiang comes with Stories of Your Life and Others, a 2002 collection of eight hard science fiction short stories published over the previous twelve years. My anticipation was to dust off one tale in particular, "Story of Your Life", the source material for a movie titled Arrival starring Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner that opens in the U.S. two months from the time I'm posting this book report. I dove into the collection due to Chiang's gift for immersing me ...more
Eh?Eh!
These are amazing, more than 4 stars, and worth propping open on my steering wheel and glancing down to grab up a thought-ful of words at a time on straighaways and gentle curves.*

As far as I can gather, Ted Chiang is an egghead scientist (technical writer?) who attended a fiction writing workshop and began belting out these incredibly well thought out short stories that have much more science than the typical science fiction. He's won enough awards that he once turned down a Hugo no
Matthew
Stories of Your Life and Others is a very interesting collection of stories. I think you really need to be into the “Sci” part of Sci-fi to truly enjoy them; they are thick with scientific terminology and theorems. For me, that reduced my enjoyment of a few of the stories while others had the perfect balance for me.

My favorites were Tower of Babylon, Hell is the Absence of God, and Liking What You See: A Documentary. One story (The Evolution of Human Science) was only 3 pages and, th
Carmen
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
THIS STORY IS THE ORIGIN OF THE 2016 FILM "ARRIVAL"

"God, of course I know that. Do you think I'm an idiot?"

"No, of course not."

What I'll think is that you are clearly, maddeningly not me. It will remind me, again, that you won't be a clone of me; you can be wonderful, a daily delight, but you won't be someone I could have created by myself."

This is a brilliant short story. Basically the plot is (view spoiler) ...more
Kristijan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dok ne sročim nešto o ovoj kolekciji priča, evo mojih ocena:

Vavilonska kula - 4
Razvoj ljudske nauke - 3
Pakao je odsustvo Boga - 5
Voleti ono što vidiš: Dokumentarac - 4

Dakle, prosečna ocena za celu zbirku je: 4,125

Ove tri priče koje su dobile peticu su baš baš baš odlične!!!
Dana Ilie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
Way to short.
I liked the concept, but it was so short, I like big books....
Trish
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review once I'm home. For now, let's just say that the final story got me into trouble with some people at the train station. *lol*
...
Now that I've had some time to reflect on all the stories I've listened to in this collection, I can honestly say that not one was bad. Sure, three were rather mediocre, but the others were either at least good or even so exceptional that they made up for the mediocre ones without much effort.

There are 8 short stories in this book:
1) Tower of Babylo/>There
Michael Finocchiaro
[UPDATED] This collection of short stories was quite insightful. There are seven stories here:

Tower of Babylon was probably my favorite. It is based on the Biblical story but with great twists and insights about human pretentious at higher knowledge and how the universe conspires silently to confound them.
Understand was an interesting one, but for me ended kind of abruptly. The idea of augmented intelligence was addressed famously (and better IMHO) in Keyes' Flowers for Algernon, but still this story do/>/>Tower
Montzalee Wittmann
Arrival by Ted Chiang is an ebook I picked up from the library because everyone was talking about the movie and I wanted to watch it but I like to read the books before seeing the movies, I have a thing about that. I didn't know this was a book of short stories. Again, I have a thing about not reading blurbs if I can help it in books I have already. (If I am looking for a book, that is different.) This book is not a novel but a lot of short stories. Each one is drastically different and each mak ...more
Simeon
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, sci-fi
Story of Your Life

Told from the perspective of a mother remembering her child. Absolutely heartbreaking. And it was only 50 pages.

The mother, a linguist, is recruited by the government to interpret the language of an alien species, and she adopts a new perception of reality.

Easily one of the best short stories ever written.

The Tower of Babylon

A weird and mysterious way to start the short stories collection. Rewriting legend; as always with Chiang, best prefaced with the words: "Imagine if..."

Story of Your Life

Easily one of the best short stories ever written.

The Tower of Babylon

Understand

Mind-blowing for its brevity, Ted Chiang's best stories are so compact, less talented authors would be tempted to expanded them into novels.

Understand begins with the harrowing experience of being trapped beneath the ice. A new treatment for brain damage turns into something unexpected.

The story has parallels to the movie Limitless, but with the Hollywood crap replaced by meaningful, philosophical implications.

Division by Zero

This is a beautiful story inside the life of one of the world's foremost mathematicians as she discovers a new theorem...

Hell is the Absence of God

Ah, what if religion were based on scientific evidence, and the apparition of heavenly interference were something consequential... What if angels were a little more...

[image error]

Cognitive dissonance abounds.
Stephen
6.0 stars. Simply put, this is the single best collection of short fiction (science fiction or otherwise) that I have ever read. While my personal favorite is "Hell is the Absence of God," each and every story has something memorable, something original and something brilliant to offer. If you have not experienced Mr. Chiang's warmly intelligent and scientific yet emotional prose, then do yourself a favor and IMMEDIATELY go and get a copy of this collection. You will be very glad you did. HIGHES ...more
Blake Crouch
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The greatest living short story writer in my humble opinion.
Gwern
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What's there to say about Chiang that all the others don't say? He is the closest thing to a modern Jorge Luis Borges in melding high concepts with literature to create something better than either; in some respects, I'd rank his best short stories as better than Gene Wolfe's (too often tedious & unsolved puzzleboxes). His writing is deceptively excellent: I would call him a writer's writer, because the flat evenness of his prose may strike a reader as boring unless they have tried to write ...more
JV (semi-hiatus)
Ted Chiang is a genius! This anthology is total brain candy. Although some of them are quite dense for my taste, it makes you think and re-read the paragraphs so that you can have a thorough grasp of what he's actually trying to say. Although this is tagged as "sci-fi", it lingers more on "hard science" since it discusses scientific theories and other jargons, which is also esoteric, by all means.

"Tower of Babylon" - 5★

"Tower of Babylon" - 5★

Tower of Babel by lindbalk

Oh, dear miners and builders! For centuries, you all toil for such grandeur. Up, up, and up you all go, living and thriving in each part of the tower and refusing to set foot on humble earth. Better yet, you all had that enjoyment of piercing the magnificent veil of creation, even surpassing celestial bodies, and reaching heaven's vault. Might I say that "curiosity killed the cat"? That humanity's hubris would always lead to their demise. Boundaries exist for a reason. For if it were not to exist, then men would be God themselves. And also, did cracking the dome of heaven do any good? If it were, where did Hillalum end up to? (view spoiler)

"Understand" - 3★

Imagine that you're in such a vegetative state, barely clinging to life. Then, tada! Here comes Hormone K, an experimental drug that when infused into the body, repairs damaged neurological functions and even unlocks 100% of your intelligence. Apparently, Hormone K works best for those whose brain damage is the greatest: Alzheimer, stroke, and comatose patients. Such is the case for Leon. Yup, he's a lab rat wonder, but when he withdraws from the said experiment, everything goes awry and the CIA wants him for good and for whatever purpose. And thanks to his enhanced mind, he's able to surpass the "normals" due to his ingenuity. His intelligence is more than just an enhancement. It heavily augmented his motor, sensory, and cognitive skills. But what is truly more astounding is that he's able to read body language, interpret pheromones, and understand his heightened "self-awareness" flawlessly with his magnificent mind. He ultimately survives the CIA search but is later confronted by his nemesis, Reynolds, another human injected with the same enhancing hormone. As for this story, I didn't quite enjoy this one as I've already seen and read this kind of trope, albeit it's still an acceptable read. There's much to ponder for this particular story: "How much will you sacrifice in pursuit of knowledge? Moreso, how will you use your intelligence? Is it a means? Or is it just an end itself?"

"Division by Zero" - 4★

TW/CW: Suicide, suicide ideation

This title should be replaced as 1 = 2! For non-mathematicians like me, the key to understanding this one is not to take everything literally. Although I'm curious how our mathematician friends would interpret this one. Subsets A and B are represented by Renee (wife) and Carl's (husband) POV respectively. These are two distinct, yet comparable experiences, but one that cannot be understood by the other. Renee realizes something about mathematics that shatters her to the very core and she ended up in the psych ward, but her apparent suicide was prevented by Carl, who is also a suicide survivor. On the other hand, Carl tries to understand Renee (after being released from the ward) so that he can thoroughly support her on an emotional level. Eventually, he gets that connection, but he notices something about his feelings — it's the same destructive one as Renee's. Was he being true to himself? Is he that kind of person who thinks he is? Furthermore, how would you react when all you have ever believed in, those fundamental truths that you truly hold dear, is proven untrue, by your own self? Would you still live with it?

"Story of Your Life" - 6★

Mind-blown! This is the most popular short story of Ted Chiang. After the arrival of aliens, the US military hires Dr. Louise Banks to interpret language and communicate with them. Working with Louise is Dr. Gary Donnelly, a physicist assigned to gain knowledge from the aliens known as Heptapods. As Louise learns the Heptapod's language, she discovers something astounding. The true wonder about the Heptapod's language is that their written and spoken language is completely different. Heptapod A consists of their spoken language that is in free word order (e.g. “process create-endpoint inclusive-we" meaning "let's start" in human language). In order to thoroughly grasp the spoken language, one must learn Heptapod B, their written language, which is a semagram/logogram that consists of a complex structure representing art/painting (imagine a circular object and draw a diagonal line through it). By immersing herself in their written language, Louise learns that the Heptapod's perception of the universe, especially time, is different from ours. While humans perceive time as sequential and causal, Heptapods perceive it as teleological. (view spoiler) Fermat’s Principle of Least Time is also discussed and has something to do with the difference between our perception to that of the Heptapod's. This story is a great examination of free will, time, and determinism:
"The existence of free will meant that we couldn't know the future. And we knew free will existed because we had direct experience of it. Volition was an intrinsic part of consciousness.

Or was it? What if the experience of knowing the future changed a person? What if it evoked a sense of urgency, a sense of obligation to act precisely as she knew she would?"
And don't forget to watch Arrival (the film adaptation of Chiang's story)! The movie and story are equally beautiful on their own.

"Seventy-Two Letters" - 2★

A snoozefest, this story is. Automata (robots), golems, Victorian London? Sounds good to me! Mix it with sci-fi, steampunk version? Fail! I prefer this one to be grounded in the realm of magical fantasy or horror (which makes it more interesting). Anyway, we follow Robert Stratton from his kiddo days up to being a nomenclator. Nomenclators breathe life into an automaton, golem, and other beings by giving and inserting "names" into them, which are patented. Think of these "names" as their soul, essence, or consciousness. These names have epithets in them, i.e., 72 letters formed together as a set that gives specific qualities or characteristics and are used in discovering names. When these names are inserted into inanimate objects, it becomes alive and acquires the specific characteristic inserted into them. The problem is, humans are also being reproduced through a process called "parthenogenesis" by impressing names into ovum for the survival of our species. Here lies the argument of religion vs. science and creator vs creation. Too nerdy for me!

"The Evolution of Human Science" - 3★

Ah yes! The Sugimoto gene therapy. The one that makes metahuman embryos compatible with DNT (digital neural transfer) prior to neurogenesis. However, this process is voluntary: parents could opt for it, but it would totally make their child unrecognizable to them OR postpone the process to the detriment of the child. If my memory serves me correctly, DNT allows metahumans to communicate with other metahumans, but not normal humans. It's also peculiar how humans would develop such advanced technology for the sake of further advancement. Now, super intelligent metahumans are already at the forefront of science. So how can the gap between humans and metahumans be addressed and how to better understand one another? Too short for me to love it.

"Hell is the Absence of God" - 6★

This story is totally amazing and darkly humorous. Neil, Janice, and Ethan's fate intertwine to tell a bittersweet story, but mostly this is Neil's religious journey as he grieves the death of his wife, Sarah, who was killed accidentally. We get a glimpse at frequent angel visitations all throughout the world delivering both miracles and disasters. Heaven, Hell, and God literally exist. Bystanders brace for impact as angels descend and innocents die for a reason we don't know. The curious ones seeking the light of heaven (imagine tornado chasers, yup, they're obsessed about it). People are dumbstruck and perplexed as they totally witness the dearly departed's soul going to either Heaven or Hell. This poignant tale tackles devotion, faith, love, and religion in thought-provoking ways.

"Liking What You See: A Documentary" - 6★

Beautiful (no pun intended) and hilarious, by all means. Loved this one in its entirety. This story is the most quotable of all short stories written by Chiang. If we have racism and sexism, then we also have lookism. Yup, discriminating someone just because of their looks. However, this issue is addressed by calliagnosia or "calli", a procedure wherein a pharmaceutical-grade neurostat is inserted into our brain's neurological pathway to block our ability to perceive beauty with regard to facial appearances. With calli, you "ignore the surface, so you can look deeper." Utopia indeed! What's enchanting about Chiang's story is the way how he explores beauty vis-a-vis various ideologies and its implications of having a technological advancement such as calli. A great read!
Rob
May 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No accounting for taste especially your own.
This book has had rave reviews and not from the usual sources. It has won a few well regarded awards. And I hated it.
The overall writing style I found to be flat. The characterisation was awful. Has this author ever met another human and talked to them? It has the same warmth as an IT support manual.
Quite a bit of science fiction is not exactly literary but it more than makes up for it by exploring ideas. This collection of short stor
Rachel (Kalanadi)
I have a very emotional personal connection to this short story collection. It’s intense enough inside my head and unique to my experience, so that even talking about this feels like baring an uncomfortably sensitive part of one’s flesh… It’s like crying in public because you can’t stop, and hoping nobody laughs at you for being soppy when you are, in fact, grieving.

I first read Stories of Your Life and Others in 2014, and I finished it the day before I had surgery. This was a very intense
Bil
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophical readers, Black Mirror fans
I opted to read Ted Chiang's award-winning/nominated short stories right after watching Arrival. What I read marveled me with eight unique tales that challenge the norms and tackle big ideas about humanity, religion, and science.

The compilation began with the "Tower of Babylon," a familiar biblical myth set in an alternate Mesopotamia where a tower was built so high it reached the vault of heaven. In "Understand," an experimental drug gives the protagonist omniscient intelligence similar to
Sheziss
Yes, I admit I read this because of the movie Arrival.

Different from everything else I've read. In all the senses of the word.

The movie is very faithful to the written story, yet there are a few differences.

For once, in the book it's never told why aliens come, why they are here.

The wri
Stuart
Stories of Your Life and Others: Sadly I couldn’t connect with these stories
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
This is one of books that receives such universal praise and accolades from readers, critics, and award committees that it represents a real risk for a book reviewer. After all, if you love the book, you’re merely contributing to the overwhelming chorus of praise and not really adding much to the discussion, but at least you are “on the same page” as everyone. The alternative is much mor
Gabrielle
Now THIS is why I read speculative fiction. To have my mind blown by very intelligent stories that do not underestimate the reader and that force my brain to venture somewhere it doesn’t usually go. I love stories that blend themes you do not expect to work well together: when an author has the skill to mix ideas like the nature of language and time, math and theology and human perception, I’m a very happy reader indeed!

This collection by Ted Chiang had been on my radar for a while.
Leonard Gaya
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ted Chiang is a very parsimonious, yet many times awarded author. This collection of eight short stories, published in periodicals in the 1990’s, has been republished recently upon the release of the motion picture Arrival (which I have yet to see), adapted from one of these stories.

These tales build up on very simple ideas: What if the Tower of Babel was actually reaching the vault of the sky? What if there existed a drug that bestowed superhuman cognitive abilities? What if mathematics we
Jokoloyo
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read book for Science Fiction (SF) fans. For people who don't like SF, please kindly try to read this short-story collection before commit not to read any SF story.

A pure serendipity for me. I bought this book on a closing bookshop sale, and it was my best-buy from that sale event. I admit, I had no big expectation when I put in my basket. I hadn't aware with the author and I didn't believe at that time the list of awards of the stories that included on this book.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Ted Chiang is a brilliant storyteller, and this set chronicles his first decade or so of stories, including the first story he ever wrote ("Tower of Babylon," the one that went on to win a bunch of awards.)

What I like about Chiang is that he isn't afraid to include all the science and math that made him want to explore a concept to begin with. I like knowing that the stories come from research and thinking, not just inside his head. Something in me as a reader connects to that.
Sotiria
Τι μας κρύβουν;;; Είναι ο Ted Chiang εξωγηίνος; Χρονοταξιδιώτης; Βουδιστική θεότητα; O Iron Man; Έστω μια «απλή» διάνοια;; Χρειάζομαι απαντήσεις!
Δε νομίζω ότι υπάρχει και κάποια άλλη εξήγηση! Αρνούμαι να πιστέψω ότι ο συγγραφέας αυτός είναι ένας απλός άνθρωπος σαν εμάς.... Από τη σύλληψη των περίπλοκων και πολυεπίπεδων ιστοριών του μέχρι και την εκτέλεση τους, κάθετι που διάβασα γραμμένο από το χέρι του είναι ένα μαγικό ταξίδι στα όρια της συνειδητότητας και της πραγματικότητας. Άρτιο πάντ
LeAnne: GeezerMom
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If it were not for the recently released movie entitled Arrival, my faith in the appeal of sci-fi writing would still be agnostic at best. But today? Baby, I'm a believer!

NO SPOILERS Ted Chiang is the man. Brilliant science, mind bending math, psychological intrigue, and love are melded in his work. Im embarrassed to not only have not read anything by him before but not to have ever even heard his name! Yeah - time to break out of my comfortable genres and find beauty in other places.
unknown
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: totes
Recommended to unknown by: blogs
When I tell people I don't like short stories (and really, I don't), what I mean is that I don't like literary short stories that offer us, say, a snapshot of someone's rather normal life, and wow, look at the way this small scene profoundly illuminates a larger wholBORING.

It turns out I do like short sci-fi, though. I think this is probably because sci-fi is naturally more focused on outlandish ideas that can be nicely explored within the limited scope of a short story -- wouldn't-it-be-nea
Andrew
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I will admit that this book has caused me some confusion - The book I have is titled Arrival and looks like the one above - so you think the ISBN is correct however it appears that it also goes under the name of Stories of your life and others and was in fact retitled to coincide with the film of said title.

Now normally I do not mind these things but it does make me a little sceptical as I have been caught out in the past - the worst of all was with the works of Michael Cordy. Anyway I digr
Brian Yahn
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We think of the world in terms of cause and effect, but in theory we could see things in terms of their purpose. Ted Chiang introduces an alien civilization in a pretty mysterious way that feels a little similar to Sphere by Michael Crichton.

It appears these aliens are acting to maximize the purpose of the universe, to make it come to the most beautiful end it possibly could. And the story kind of makes you feel like you're a part of it. It's pretty awesome.
somuchreading
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-now
Πως γίνεται ένας σημαντικός συγγραφέας της λογοτεχνίας να λογίζεται σαν τέτοιος γράφοντας απλά, στα 27 χρόνια της πορείας του μέχρι σήμερα, να έχει γράψει μόνο 14 διηγήματα και 1 νουβέλα; Αμ έλα που γίνεται.

Ο Ted Chiang ενδιαφέρεται για την ανθρώπινη κατάσταση και την ανθρώπινη εμπειρία, για τη γλώσσα, για τους φυσικούς νόμους. Στρίβει το πλαίσιο του είδους της επιστημονικής φαντασίας και φέρνει τα μέσα έξω, για να δοκιμάσει πάνω μας με αυτόν τον τρόπο [πειράζοντας δηλαδή τις προσδοκ
Roula
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Τι να πω γιαυτο το πολυβραβευμενο βιβλιο? Θα πω αρχικα οτι δεν εχω ξαναδιαβασει τιποτα παρομοιο του.δεν εχω καμια σχεση με την επιστημονικη φαντασια, δεν ειναι το ειδος μου.εχω ακουσει ομως τοσα πολλα πραγματα γιαυτο το βιβλιο που δεν μπορεσα να αντισταθω στον πειρασμο να το παρω απο τη βιβλιοθηκη.ειναι λοιπον ενα βιβλιο που αποτελειται απο 8 διηγηματα τα περισσοτερα εκ των οποιων μου φανηκαν εκπληκτικα , ενω μολις 2 μου φανηκαν ψιλοαδιαφορα..θεωρω οτι ο κοινος παρονομαστης ολων τους ειναι η προ ...more
Panagiotis
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Τον Τσιάνγκ και τούτο το βιβλίο του το έμαθα, αν θυμάμαι καλά, μέσω του Κεν Λιου, ο οποίος με είχε καταπλήξει με το The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories. Ο Λιου είναι προασπιστής της Κινέζικης Ε.Φ. και πρέπει κάπου να είχε πλέξει το εγκώμιο του Τσιανγκ. Επιπλέον, η φερώνυμη ιστορία, "Η Ιστορία της Ζωή σου", αποτέλεσε τον πυρήνα του φετινού Ε.Φ. κινηματογραφικού χιτ Arrival. Οι προσδοκίες μου ήταν ψηλές, λοιπόν. Τόσο ψηλές που, σε μια απρόβλεπτη κίνηση, εξέπληξα τον ίδιο μου τον εαυτό, και αγόρα ...more
Kristal Kitap
Vee bitti. Çok sevdim, çok sevdim. Özellikle "Anlamak" hikayesine bayıldım. Keşke filmi çekilse! Her şey algı kapasitemiz dahilinde olsa ne olurdu? "Her şeyi çözümleyebilsek; evrendeki her varlığın, en ufak noktacığın bile başka bir etmenle bağlantısı olduğunu anlayabilsek; beynimizin bile nasıl çalıştığını görebilsek, nasıl olurdu?" sorusunun bir cevabıydı sanki.

Öyle çok aman aman Bilim Kurgu okuyucusu değilim belki de ondan böylesi bi haz aldım Geliş'ten bilemiyorum. Kısa kısa hikayeler içimd
Michelle Morrell
This was originally printed as "Story of Your Life and Other Stories," this copy was the movie tie-in for "Arrival" though.

A collection of gorgeous, smart, and quiet stories. It came into my awareness because of the movie, so I'll start there. The adaptation to film was very well done, it really captured the tone of the story, of the whole collection. Thoughtful, intelligent, musing. The kind of stories where you put the book down and just think.

"Story of Your Life" has to do with an alien fir
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I know how this story ends; I think about it a lot. I also think a lot about how it began, just a few years ago, when ships appeared in orbit and artifacts appeared in meadows. The government said next to nothing about them, while the tabloids said every possible thing.

I broke my own unwritten rule, and saw the movie before reading the source material. “Arrival” the movie is somehow even better than the short story, but I would still recommend giving this debut collection of Ted Chiang your at
Stevie Kincade
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, audiobooks
Can I just say holy hot goddamn is Arrival an awesome movie! I always feel massively let down by SF movies as the 90 minute format with explosions and lasers rarely leaves room for the big concepts and character development I love in the written form. The last spectacular SF movie was...Cloud Atlas I think? So I will say this a top 2 SF movie of the last 10 years. This is a MUST SEE if you love good SF and if you haven't read the book first - don't! I normally always want to read the book first but th ...more
Caro the Helmet Lady
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s-f, 2018-reads
There is this thing about the flu that I absolutely hate. Once you're completely sick you suddenly get all the free time in the world and you could use it for reading, but since your head is throbbing with ache and fever and your eyes are burning (and I won't even mention other bodily horrors that are going on) a zero reading can be done, alas. Same goes for writing reviews. Sorry for the digression. I just had to cry on some virtual shoulder.

I liked this collection of stories, altho

• Vanishing Acts: A Science Fiction Anthology
  • The Yiddish Policemen's Union
  • The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • The Summer Book
  • We Crossed a Bridge and It Trembled: Voices from Syria
  • The Best of Subterranean
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3)
  • Axiomatic
Ted Chiang is an American speculative fiction writer. His Chinese name is Chiang Feng-nan. He graduated from Brown University with a Computer Science degree. He currently works as a technical writer in the software industry and resides in Bellevue, near Seattle, Washington. He is a graduate of the noted Clarion Writers Workshop (1989).

Although not a prolific author, having published on
“My message to you is this: pretend that you have free will. It's essential that you behave as if your decisions matter, even though you know they don't. The reality isn't important: what's important is your belief, and believing the lie is the only way to avoid a waking coma. Civilization now depends on self-deception. Perhaps it always has.” 64 likes
“Freedom isn't an illusion; it's perfectly real in the context of sequential consciousness. Within the context of simultaneous consciousness, freedom is not meaningful, but neither is coercion; it's simply a different context, no more or less valid than the other. It's like that famous optical illusion, the drawing of either an elegant young woman, face turned away from the viewer, or a wart-nosed crone, chin tucked down on her chest. There's no “correct” interpretation; both are equally valid. But you can't see both at the same time.

“Similarly, knowledge of the future was incompatible with free will. What made it possible for me to exercise freedom of choice also made it impossible for me to know the future. Conversely, now that I know the future, I would never act contrary to that future, including telling others what I know: those who know the future don't talk about it. Those who've read the Book of Ages never admit to it.”
46 likes