Start by marking “The Call of the Canyon” as Want to Read:

The Call of the Canyon

Please visit www.PhoenixRider.com for other great westerns at incredible prices.
Published August 22nd 2008 by Phoenix Rider (first published January 1st 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Call of the Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Call of the Canyon

SheriC (PM)
The best parts of this book are the beautifully detailed descriptions of the landscape and the characters’ interactions with it. The story itself is problematic. Contrary to the author’s intent, I really liked Carley through most of the story. Although she was a little self-absorbed, she was spunky and independent and determined. When she arrived out West, she stubbornly pushed herself to cope with the physical hardships she was unused to, to prove to herself and to the man she loved that she wa ...more
Brian Eshleman
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a Western, and I tackled this one primarily to have some exposure to the genre before I dismissed it. I was surprised how thought-provoking it was, especially as the author juxtaposes two ages and two types to great effect. Who thinks about the seismic changes of World War I and the Jazz Age coexisting with the American frontier? The reading experience is like getting an extension of Last of the Mohicans on one page and then Age of Innocence on the next. It works.

There is also
Lancelot du Lac
A beautifully written tale of a tender-footed woman's journey from decadence to self-realization. Although the descriptions of nature are quite poetic, evoking vivid images of the wild-west and its terrain; yet I found the story-line to be a little problematic. Often the protagonist is just lost in ramblings, her thoughts and soliloquy occupies pages after pages. Although this is my first western, I don't know why I picked this book. Given the fact that this is not a very popular book and the e- ...more
Fran
Absolutely loved this book. Plan on reading more by him in the year future. I was immediately captivated with his prose. Wonderful characters.
Éowyn
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Westerns have their fair share of space on my favorites shelf... In addition, two of Zane Grey's other works even have their own place on the list of my heart-stories, and I think The Call of the Canyon, may just have joined them there.

My full review can be read here.

SPOILER ALERT: I LOVED THIS STORY SO MUCH, and I had a great deal of fun with the pictures. :)
Wayne Walker
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is 1919 and Carley Burch is a young orphaned woman who lives a socialite’s life of ease and pleasure in her New York City family home with her aunt Mary. Her fiancé Glenn Kilbourne has come home an injured, sick, and broken man after fighting in France during World War I, so he has gone West to Arizona, near Flagstaff, that he might recover his health. However, Glenn’s letters to Carley are becoming increasingly puzzling, so she makes a surprise visit to see him. While there she stays in the ...more
Gary
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those visiting Sedona
Recommended to Gary by: Oak Creek Canyon Forest Service Visitor Center
Shelves: owned, gutenberg
Let me begin by saying, this was my first Zane Grey book. My wife and I were visiting Sedona, AZ. As hikers, we enjoy walking around and seeing things. We quickly learned that Sedona's fame owes a lot to Zane Grey's book, The Call of the Canyon. So I quickly downloaded the book from Gutenberg and started reading. It is always interesting reading a book at the place where the setting is.

Grey's description of the area around the Canyon was spot on and I enjoyed comparing the book descriptions with
Eileen E Cartwright
Different Zane Grey

As a young teenager - late 50's - I read everything I got my hands on. When I discovered a box of Zane Grey books that my mother had read when she was my age, I read every one - western and books about Betty Zane and the settlement of the Wheeling area. I loved every one. Never read this one though and found it somewhat different but mostly enjoyable. The descriptions of the landscape in Arizona are beautiful and in great detail but I will confess I grew impatient at times and
Phalguni
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book extremely relatable at many, many places. The author has such a gift for painting landscapes, that all my senses seemed to respond to his descriptions. I did not like many of his views, or rather, how he thinks they're the 'supreme truth' or whatever. This fact made the book a little annoying in the latter part.
I would recommend this book for the author's insight in human relationships and feelings, and his skilled penmanship; and not for the storyline or for his philosophy of l
John
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mexico, own
to give a ZANE GREY book only 2 stars is something that has not happened many times for me . actually this was a one star work in many parts where I felt like ZANE was preaching such nonsense about morals that I wanted to throw the book down. I have read over 25 of his books and this was nothing like any of the others where the characters were concerned . He was his usual greatness when it came to describing the western landscape. I felt like he had written this to please his long gone Sunday sc ...more
Jonna Higgins-Freese
ShariC's review sums it up nicely: "The best parts of this book are the beautifully detailed descriptions of the landscape and the characters’ interactions with it. The story itself is problematic" -- particularly if you're a woman. Grey turns himself inside out to change Carley into a different person, without somehow ever making her a real person who lives on the page -- and her fiancé is pretty flat, too. Which is probably exemplified by the fact that I can't remember his name. It's never exa ...more
Fredrick Danysh
In his distinctive romantic style the author has a disillusioned Civil War veteran moving from New York to the untamed landscape of Arizona where he will face new challenges.
Don Voorhees
Librivox edition
Rosie Amber
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Call Of The Canyon is a western set in the 1920s.

Glenn Kilbourne returned from WW1 to America, a broken man both physically and emotionally. His determination to return home to his fiancé, New York socialite Carley Burch, gave him strength during the darker times of war. Yet he found that the country he had fought for did little for its returning soldiers, and the life he lived before the war no longer appealed to him.

Glenn set out for the West; he needed time to heal. He went to Oak Creek, Ariz
Julia
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story about a self-involved socialite who took off for Arizona to visit her fiancé to try to convince him to move back to New York City. He had moved out West as a wounded soldier, barely holding on to life and sanity, to find healing. She found that not only was his health restored, but he was stronger and more vigorous than ever, thriving in the rugged outdoor life and wholesome work. Reluctantly, she threw herself into the rigorous life (partly to compete with the daught ...more
Arref Mak
Michael P. Deslippe
A prerequisite is a passion for the American Southwest

I first went west from Detroit in 1975. My comments on my return were that everything looked dry, red and dead and you couldn't tell the people from the rocks. My next visit was 1991 and my wife and I returned every year for the next 19 years. Disability has kept me from returning. This book brought back every memory of those trips and several sub-stories to boot. Don't miss a chance to read this. It's free. Which Carlyle are you?
Keith A. Schwamkrug
A great read for lovers of the Red Rock country near Sedona

This story by the great writer of Westerns kept me enthralled until the last page. The descriptions of the area are wonderful. The growth in the heroine Carley is exciting. It's an old fashioned romance in the best sense of the word. But I think the story's greatest strength is the love of country (USA and the Red Rock area of Arizona. in particular), and the belief in the importance of women that shines through.
Luisa
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Parts of it are very good and I kind of liked Carley's development in the sense that she did what she liked best but most is very dated, the picture painted of women is sexist and insulting to be honest and so is the view of society. I don't like romance novels anyway but there were time where I was tempted to get physically sick. Waste of time, unfortunately I stuck with it until the bitter end.
Ernest Hogan
Back when the West was a place rather than a time. The story of a New York woman who finds out the World War One has made her fiance want to run a hog ranch in Arizona, sandwiched between a love letter to Oak Creek Canyon, and a rant against the modern world. Nary a gunshot is fired.
Tui Marion
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An antique book dealer sold me this book, after finding out that I was an Arizona Native. I enjoyed it, although I had a good chuckle at some of the ultra conservative ideas & idiotic women. Obviously written by a man of those times :)
Joel Thimell
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Although I love Zane Grey's books, this was not my favorite. There is not much action and he describes the battle for the soul of modern man more effectively in "The Shepherd of Guadaloupe" and "Majesty's Rancho."
John Shearer
The Call of the Canyon

This shouldn't have been written as anything but a travel brochure for the can you country. Maybe because it was written so long ago it seemed stilted and just out of touch.
Jeff
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful Western story

This is a classic Zane Grey book, he did not disappoint. This was certiany well worth reading this western and the ending was a nice surprise.
Jeff
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite western. Zane Grey seems to want to discuss the state of the country as well as the scenic beauty of Oak Creek etc. more so than the story.
Barb Theriault
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Western? And I absolutely loved it! Who knew? ..I will be reading more of these by Zane Grey.
Kara
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-challenge
For fiction genre class - Western (audio)
Nanette Kinslow
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only recently discovered the novels of Zane Gray. I enjoyed this one very much. It's a thoughtful book about finding what is really important in life. I truly love a moral book.
John Ayer
This is a book about a WW1 veteran who returns from the war with shell shock (Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome) and becomes disgusted with the way society treats veterans (WW1 vets were treated like Vietnam vets were. They marched on Washington in 1932 and were chased out by horse cavalry led by Patton). That part of the story, vets handling how the country treated them was good. The "hero" goes out west, builds a small log cabin and begins raising pigs. He asks his NY socialite fiancée to move ou ...more
Michael P.
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

1) Grey has a reputation of being unreadable due to his purple prose. Actually, I found the prose more lavender, but still problematic.

2) Turns out this is not a western, but a romance novel, which would have been OK if I wanted a romance novel, but that is not why I read it.

3) The romance novel template used by Grey is essentially that of Jane Austin: people are in love but are not together. One or both need to grow to be worthy of the other(s). Grey do
  • The Night Horseman
  • Bertram Cope's Year
  • For the Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing
  • A Passion In The Desert
  • Write It Right: The Celebrated Cynic's Language Peeves Deciphered, Appraised, and Annotated for 21st-Century Readers
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • A Book of Remarkable Criminals
  • How to Write Killer Fiction
  • Mademoiselle Fifi and Other Stories
  • Mentor: A Memoir
  • Man, Oh Man!  Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
  • Cabbages and Kings
  • Sayings of the Buddha
  • Someone Like You (Night Riders, #4)
  • A Biography of the English Language
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • A Certain "je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • The Love Conspiracy
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
“Jealousy is an unjust and stifling thing.” 7 likes