Start by marking “Sandsturm” as Want to Read:
Sandsturm

Sandsturm (Sigma Force #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  32,938 Ratings  ·  1,396 Reviews
Nationally bestselling author James Rollins has transported readers to the dark heart of the Amazon, the bowels of the earth, far below the ocean, and the top of the world. Now he embarks upon his most gripping and terrifying adventure yet: to a nightmare buried beneath a treacherous desert wasteland.
An inexplicable explosion rocks the antiquities collection of a London
Published July 31st 2005 by Blanvalet Taschenbuchverl (first published June 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sandsturm, please sign up.

Shane The later books do have spoilers about earlier ones... if you are going to read one or two, it shouldn't matter, but if you plan to read them all I…moreThe later books do have spoilers about earlier ones... if you are going to read one or two, it shouldn't matter, but if you plan to read them all I suggest reading them in order.(less)

Bill
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, nook
Sandstorm started out in London with a literal bang and ended with a storm of supposedly epic proportions in an ancient desert city. But by the time it did, I didn't care anymore. All I saw was a swirly world of sand, glass, and static electricity populated by cardboard characters. The good ones would probably survive and the bad ones wouldn't and so what. What happened in between was pedestrian and predictable thriller fare with too many guns and action and not enough thrill.

Anti-matter? Bucky
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Well, if you're going to have insomnia, this is one heck of a book to have handy. It took me a long time to finish this book because I had so many irons in the fire towards the end of last year. I am so glad that I did pick it up now, because it turned out to be a very rewarding read.

Just a few of Danielle's Late Night Review Observations:

1) James Rollins writes detail-oriented, science heavy action/adventure. It took me a bit to get used to his writing style, but I have to say it really worked
Mike
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action movie fans
This is the first of James Rollins's "Sigma Force" novels. This is different than most of the books that are in my book list, quite different in some cases.
It's basically an action movie in book form, but it's a good one, like Indiana Jones style. And Rollins seems to know that it's that kind of adventure. One of the characters is referred to as "Indiana Jones" occasionally. It's the kind of humor I like in books, the wink to the audience that everything is kind tounge in cheek.
But even with it
Maruf Hossain
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
লনডন মিউজিয়ামে বিসফোরণ দিয়ে বইয়ের শুরু। এই বিসফোরণের মাধযমে অনেকগুলা ঘটনা ঘটার চেইন রি-অযাকশনের সূতরপাত। তারপর একের পর এক রহসয আর অনেকগুলো পরশনের উদভব। সেসব পরশনের উততর আর হারিয়ে যাওয়া শহর উবারের সনধানে ওমানে পাড়ি জমাল সিগমা ফোরস টিম, লেডী কারা কেনসিংটন, সুনদরী এবং বিদূষী ড. সাফিয়া আল-মায়াজ এবং নামকরা পরতনতাততবিক ওমাহা ডান। একের পর এক বাধা আর আকরমণের মুখে ওরা। বিপদের মাতরা আরও বাড়িয়ে দিল সিগমা ফোরস করমী পেইনটার করো’র পরাকতন সহকরমী। শতরু সব সময়ই এক ধাপ এগিয়ে থাকে ওদের চেয়ে।

কী পছনদ করেন আপনি? অযাক
Billy
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as good as I expected...,

I read & loved Map of Bones, Rollins most recent release, so I picked up this book thinking it would be just as good. I moved backwards to this predecessor because I had not heard of Rollins before. Mistake!
I cannot start a book & not finish it & I don't like to read more than one book at a time; personal quirks I live with. Usually I read a book a week, because I usually find good reads based on reviews, research & sales. There was nothing to
Zoey
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
The first Sigma Force Novel.

A freak explosion in the Meuseum of Natural History in London sets off a chain reaction of events. A race to find out what caused the explosion and find the source begins, with deadly consequences for the civilized world. Painter Crow, hardened CIA operative takes a job at DARPA in the newly organized "Sigma Force." Their first mission takes them into the scalding Saudi desert in search of the unknown. The answers may be older than Christ and rooted in obscure script
Brian Steele
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, adventure
Simply put, I love this guy's work. Less "bromantic" than Clive Cussler and more accessible than Micheal Crichton, both of whom I do enjoy, his tales are just fun, adventurous, and often educational. I wanted to read the Sigma Force books in order, so it took me a while until I could track down the first in the series - and I wasn't disappointed.

With any literature of this type, you have to be able to muster up a certain suspension of belief. Sigma Force, in itself, is a wild concept - scientist
Andy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yahhhhh loved it, 4* read, t'rrific Harry! :)

It's all there, has the right formulae for a good read & glad I finally got around to this series.

Starts with a BANG, a mystery evolves, scientists & government agencies come to the fore as the lead protagonists, many with obvious sterotypical flaws which is all good fun, a nemesis comes into the fray.... BOO HISS.... whose well... you'll see, there's a few good scientific leaps which are kinda viable if not plausible, there's the Oh yeah that
Jonetta
Good adventure story but I got lost in the science and wanted more operational intrigue. It's non-stop action though, and I plan to continue the series.
Aaron
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is essentially exactly what I've been looking for: a smart action-adventure techno-thriller with interesting characters (and heroes I cared enough about to fully root for - unlike Robert Langdon, Jack Reacher, Dirk Pitt, Pike Logan, Mitch Rapp, and the rest to date), involving ancient mysteries, theoretical science, and a splash of the supernatural. Indiana Jones and the Uncharted games were my baseline for the kind of story I was in the mood to read. It was fairly hard to lock down that sp ...more
Toni Moore
I don't usually read thrillers. OK, I did read "The Da Vinci Code" along with 12 million other people. And I enjoyed reading it, just because I wanted to know what happened next. In retrospect, it's pretty silly. Anyway, I read an interview of James Rollins in a recent writing magazine ("The Writer") and was intrigued by the protagonists in a series he writes. The Sigma Force is a team of special operatives who are also scientists. Rollins calls them "scientists with guns." Anyway, I downloaded ...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. A fun, action packed thriller that reminded me of Indiana Jones meets Tom Clancy with some excellent "fantastical" elements woven into the story as added flavor. I read this novel as it is the first of the SIGMA Force series and I thought the description of the group was interesting (think special forces made up of scientists). I look forward to reading more novels involving this group.
Shuk Pakhi
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
এক ঝড়ের রাতে জাদুঘরে রাখা পরাচীন একটি আরটিফযাকটের কাছে অদভূত আলো দেখা যায়। আর এর পর পরই ঘটে বিসফোরণ। পরীকষা করে পাওয়া যায় এযানটিমেটারের অসতিতব, যা কিনা বিপুল শকতির উৎস। শুরু হয়ে যায় এই কষমতা কবজা করার পরতিযোগিতা। খুঁজে পেতে হবে দু হাজার বছর আগে হারিয়ে যাওয়া এক শহর। যাকে এখনো পাহাড়া দিচছে রাণী ও রাজার বংশধররা।

পরচুর টেকনোলজিকযাল বিষয় রয়েছে, রয়েছে পরচুর এযাকশন, কিঞচিৎ রোমানসও আছে আরো আছে অযৌকতিক হলেও গলপে সতযি টাইপের অনেক কিছু.....সব মিলিয়ে মজা পেলাম।
Sarah Anne
3.5 stars. It's 4 stars for action, adventure, and the historical/mythological fun. 3 stars for the writing. "Once again, she was surprised by his astute intuitiveness" And how many wells are there? Well of strength, well of grief, well of loss, well of strength and vulnerability, well of ice, well of water, well of corruption, well of warm feelings, well of deeper emotion... Seriously, that's even worse than I thought!

I believe these things were a bit more jarring because I was listening to the
Mike French
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book of the Sigma series.The best of series that I have so far. Kept me interested from start to finish!
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
3.75 spears outta 5!
শবর
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
মূল বই অযাভারেজ, অনুবাদ পুরাই মাখন! ফুয়াদ আল ফিদাহ ভাইকে ধনযবাদ এত সমুথ আর দুরদানত অনুবাদের জনয।
পেইনটার করো চরিতরটার ভকত বনে গেলুম বাহে!
আদনান আহমেদ
জেমস রোলিনস সমপরকে কি আর বলার! অযাকশন+অযাডভেঞচার থরিলারের রাজপুতরই বলা যায় তাকে। তার লেখাগুলোর মাঝে সবচেয়ে জনপরিয় সিরিজ হল 'সিগমা ফোরস'। আর এই সিগমা সিরিজেরই পরথম বই 'সযানডসটরম'।
বযাখযার অতীত এক বিসফোরনে কেঁপে উঠল লনডন মিউজিয়াম। বিসফোরনের উৎপততি মিউজিয়ামের নরথ উইং এর 'কেনসিংটন গযালারী'তে। বহু বছর আগে নিজের বাবার অনতরধানের সাথে এই বিসফোরণের সামঞজসয খুজতে বের হল লেডি কারা কেনসিংটন, তার বানধবী ড. সাফিয়া আল মায়াজ, পরতনতাততবিক ওমাহা ডান। তাদের সাথে যোগ দিল আমেরিকান সংসথা ডারপা-র বিশেষ ইউনিট সিগমা ফোরস
RavenclawReadingRoom
2/12/2016
3 stars.

The last time I read this, it took me almost a week to get through it, and it felt like it was never going to end. This time, for some baffling reason, I sped through its nearly 600 pages in less than 48 hours. And the faster reading time definitely made it a more enjoyable read for me. Other than that, everything I said last time still stands.

12/12/2014
2.5 stars. I used to really love James Rollins' books. They're still enjoyable, yes, but I'm not enjoying them nearly as much
Cher
1.5 stars - I didn't like it.

DNF'd around 20%. Just not my type of book - very plot driven and action packed which normally leaves me bored and distracted; quite the paradox.

--------------------------------
First Sentence: Harry Masterson would be dead in thirteen minutes.
Alexander Draganov
Fun adventurous novel with some interesting ideas, but a bit longer than necessary. Strong ending and likeable characters make up for the dull middle part.
Krbo
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad smo malkice u pustinji, akcije i neobičnosti ne nedostaje, a to je čak i prvi dio njegovog Sigma serijala - šteta što ga više nije prevedeno.

Vivone Os
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Pročitala sam jedno 6-7 Rollinsovih knjiga i sve su mi odlične, ali Pješčana oluja mi je definitivno najbolja. Spoj akcije, pustolovine i nadnaravnog sa zanimljivim likovima i dobrom pričom meni je pun pogodak.
Krista
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a lot of pure Action/Adventure books. Usually I read science fiction, fantasy, mysteries, and horror stories with a fair amount of action and adventure in them. But straight up Action/Adventure? Not many. In fact, I had to create an Action/Adventure bookshelf in my Goodreads app just for this book and others that may follow.

In this first installment of the Sigma Force series, Painter Crowe takes on a mission that takes him from London to the Arabian Dessert. His task is threefold:
Freda Malone
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Much of what is in the blurb is what I was going to describe in this review so I will try to be brief. Aside from a couple of far fetched incidents during gunfights and wounds, most of the physics, chemistry, cities and tribes described in this story are factual. However, the ‘underground city’ is not. However, the way Rollins blended his facts and fiction make is seem real and adventurous throughout. I love reading about archaeological digs in books when they are coupled with imagination and fi ...more
Maurean
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maurean by: Bill
I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced, action-packed thriller/adventure novel that is the first in his series of the SIGMA Force and Painter Crowe.

This one begins with an explosion of an antiquities collection of a London museum. Lady Kara Kensington's family paid to found the gallery that is now in ruins. In search of answers, she and her friend Safia al-Maaz, the gallery's curator, embark on a quest to Ubar, a lost city buried beneath the Arabian desert. But these two women and their guide, Dr.
Inês Beato
Finalmente terminei o primeiro livro da série Sigma, de James Rollins (vá-se lá saber porquê, as editoras portuguesas parecem incapazes de publicar as coleções pela sua ordem cronológica).
Eu costumo apreciar bastante as obras de Rollins, são normalmente fluidas, repletas de ação, com personagens cativantes e enredos de cortar a respiração. Apesar de ter gostado de "A Cidade Perdida" e de acompanhar Painter Crowe nesta aventura, não senti tanto empolgamento desta vez como nas leituras anteriores
Barbara ★
When reading this I didn't realize it was the first in the series, as I have read a couple others but that certainly explains a few things. A freak lightning storm causes an explosion at a London museum which in turns sends all kinds of people racing to the Omani desert in search of the lost city of Ubar.

You have a few DARPA representatives (Painter Crowe and Coral Novak), a Guild operative (Cassandra Sanchez), a millionaire with ties to Oman, the museum curator born in Oman, a few archeologist
Tita
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2010
Neste livro de James Rollins acompanhamos Painter Crowe como operacional da SIGMA, em vez do habitual Pierce.
A história começa com uma explosão no Museu Britânico, que está envolta de um mistério. Assim, Safia al-Maaz, Kara Kensington e Omaha Dunn partem numa expedição para Oman, juntamente com Crowe e a sua parceira Coral, para tentarem encontrar a cidade perdida de Ubar.
Este livro tem uma acção um ritmo frenético, quase de nos deixar sem fôlego, em que o autor misturou esta acção com personage
http://www.toptryloburn.com/enduro-force/ 1 3 May 24, 2017 10:18PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Sandstorm by James Rollins 1 13 Mar 12, 2015 09:34PM
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)
  • The Codex
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Ark (Tyler Locke, #1)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
James Rollins is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers that have been translated into more than forty languages. Known for unveiling unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets, Rollins has a knack for breakneck pacing and stunning originality that has been hailed by critics and embraced by millions of readers around the world.
More about James Rollins...

Sigma Force (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
  • Black Order (Sigma Force, #3)
  • The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4)
  • The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5)
  • The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6)
  • The Devil Colony (Sigma Force, #7)
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • The Eye of God (Sigma Force #9)
  • The 6th Extinction (Sigma Force, #10)
  • The Bone Labyrinth (Sigma Force, #11)

“Though it was undeclared, there was a new world war being waged, where fundamental decency and respect for human rights were under assault by forces of intolerance, despotism, and blind fervor. And while its battles were sometimes waged in plain sight-- in New York City, in Iraq-- its greater struggle was carried on invisibly, fought in secret, its heroes unknown, its villains hidden.” 5 likes
“When someone is always looking over their shoulder, they’re more likely to trip.” 5 likes