Start by marking “Nate the Great” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great

Nate the Great (Nate the Great #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  11,834 Ratings  ·  337 Reviews
With three-color illustrations, neighborhood detective Nate investigates the disappearance of his friend Annie's favorite painting. "Sharmat has perfectly reduced Sam Spade sentences and attitudes to fit primary grade sleuths and the easy-to-read format. Kids will like Nate the Great."--School Library Journal.
Published March 15th 1977 by Turtleback Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great, please sign up.
Nina Did you ever find out the answer to this question? I have the same question.

Dawn Michelle
I bought this book for my 8 year old niece; I am not as enamored with this one as I am with the Ivy + Bean books, but it was still a cute book and I think she will love it. And it IS a mystery [gotta start them young LOL] so there is a bonus in that. It was a fun, quick read and I think she will enjoy reading it.
Elisa
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nate the Great is about a boy detective who takes his cases and mysteries really serious even though they are funny and goofy.

I think Nate the Great is really funny and very easy for kids to enjoy because it's silly and the art is funny. Older kids will laugh, too.

I really like that Nate is always serious when funny things happen.

My favorite quote:

"It was a good breakfast. Pancake, juice, pancakes, milk, and pancakes. I like pancakes."

I plan to read the rest of the series but I doubt it will be
NiteReader
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-picture
Cool book!
Karen
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Ellie really likes the audio of this book. The audio is actually of several Nate the Great stories.
Camilla
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great teaching opportunities in this book and the series. I love a mystery. Great way to start children on solving life's mysteries!
Molly Fitzsimons
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elm-572
Nate the Great is about a boy detective. He takes his cases as seriously and doesn't let anything get in his way (except for maybe a break to eat pancakes). In this story, he takes on the case of a missing painting for his friend, Annie. The only people to see the painting were her dog, her friend, and her little brother. Annie takes Nate to visit all three and Nate looks for clues. He even solves another mystery in the process. Sometimes the truth can be hidden in plain sight, you just have to ...more
Becky
First sentence: My name is Nate the Great. I am a detective. I work alone. Let me tell you about my last case: I had just eaten breakfast. It was a good breakfast. Pancakes, juice, pancakes, milk, and pancakes. I like pancakes. The telephone rang.

Premise/plot: Nate the Great is on the case. Annie, the girl down the street, has hired him to find a lost picture. The picture is in yellow and it is of her dog, Fang. Can Nate find clues and piece together what happened to the picture?

My thoughts: I
Erin Martin
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute! We will be reading more of these!
Maria Justice
Scott Rhee
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I loved Nate the Great as a kid, and I had nearly forgotten how wonderful these books are. They are a perfect introduction (along with the Encyclopedia Brown series) to the mystery genre for little kids. I can't recall how many of them there were in this series by Marjorie Sharmat, but I know there are many. Nate was a quiet, serious little kid who helped his friends solve mysteries. He wore a trenchcoat and a Sherlock Holmes hat and he always preferred working alone. I remember devouring these ...more
Veronica
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My children have always raved about Nate the Great so I decided to grab one of their summer reading books to take a look at what they are talking about.
Nate the Great is a private detective who takes on a new case. His friend Annie's picture has gone missing and it is up to Nate to sleuth out what happened to it.
This is a beginning readers book and as such it is very simply written for young children. It is a wonderful introduction to the detective mystery. It is enough to keep a child's attent
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader, kids
OK this has got to be my favorite yet on this research project. It's an book that's easy to read WITH A STRONG VOICE. Wow. Who knew you could tell a story with so few words, with only EASY words, and still make you laugh out loud. I heard Harry's voice so distinctly that I will most certainly go hunt around for anything and everything else by this author that I can find. I'm just that impressed.

Well done and very highly recommended.
Mitchell
The writing is lame. But given that, the story itself is actually pretty good. It captures a kid actually being a detective pretty darn well - making breaking down the problem, planning, observing. Probably would work okay as a kid's early read-to-self book. And the art was certainly good enough. But the writing style itself took too much away.
Matt Cochran
Read this book with my second and third grade students. They really enjoyed following Nate as he solves the mystery of the missing picture. It was definitely a fun read for us!
Ryan
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Dan Absalonson
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun chapter book. My kids enjoyed it and I had fun reading it to them.
Heather
I loved this book! Ha ha! Humorous and smart.

Re-read in 2018. Many lol moments for me. The humor is so dry; I love it!
Jenna Dif
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
Nate the Great is a fun adventure book about a little boy named Nate who solves mysteries. It is part of a series and this particular book can be read online by looking it up as an ebook. In this particular book, Nate is solving a mystery for his friend Annie and is helping her to find a picture she lost. The book is comical and has a light sense of humor to it, but it also written in the mystery format in which there is something missing/wrong, and the "detective," which is Nate, sets out to fi ...more
Ryan Kreiter
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nate the Great is a children's book written about a young detective on the quest to find her friend Annie's lost picture. In the story itself, Nate the Great, is a very professional detective. He takes his job very seriously, and has a certain code of ethics that he sticks to. Nate is someone who refuses to laugh or even eat on the job, because he knows what it means to be a true detective. Nate's adventures lead him on a trail of different clues and suspects that ultimately leads him to his onl ...more
Isabelle
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-to-read
Proof that simple sentences don't necessarily mean boring content. "Nate the Great" is a wonderful introductory book, full of humor and interesting themes, accompanied by evocative illustrations in a bright, juicy, limited color palette. The pictures, to me, are the cherry on top; they're not overly explanatory, so that early readers can "guess" the words based on the pictures, but are illustrative (for lack of a better word) enough that it could help with context.

I loved the noir feel of this
La Keesha
Nate the Great is realistic fiction for children between the ages of 6 to 8 years old. This is the first book in what has proven to be a very popular and long lived series; I don't get it. Nate is a young boy who fancies himself a juvenile Sherlock Holmes. He uses his intellect and his keen attention to detail to solve mysteries for his friends. There is a lesson in the story and I assume in the stories that follow. I thought the story was "meh". I thought the writing was "meh". The book for me ...more
Michael Lausche
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: transitional
This is a great book for readers that are just starting to read lengthier books. It is not too long, and the complexity of the words can be read towards kindergarten-1st grade at minimum. The book is a bout a young detective (Nate), and his friend that has lost a picture. Nate is very good at these kind of predicaments, and decides he needs to go help his friend find her lost picture. He searches everywhere; in her room, in the trashcan, and with a dog named Fang. The book goes on with cool adve ...more
Mhedish17
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The transitional series Nate the Great is perfect for teaching problem solving and observation skills in the classroom and in life. Nate is a kid detective who can solve pretty much any crime with the help of his friends and his dog Sludge. The style in which the sentences are written are perfect for a detective's voice that's curious and cunning as word play plays an important part in characterization here. Characterization of Nate makes this book really "great" for students because it easily c ...more
Pamela Hatch
Nate the Great (Nate the Great #1) / by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat; illustrated by Marc Simont -- New York : Coward-McCann, c1972. (60 pages)

SUMMARY: Nate the Great, a junior detective, has found lots of missing things but now has his greatest challenge: the mysterious disappearance of a painting of Fang, the dog, by Annie, the girl down the street.

REVIEW: A beginner reader featuring a junior detective that should appeal to both girls and boys. The last half was better than the first half and the
Suzannah Burris
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child, I absolutely loved mysteries and Nate the Great was such a great detective that I loved going on adventures with. I think mystery books are an incredible opportunity for children to think critically and make educational guesses. When the children are able to read a mystery on their own and then tell about it, is it so wonderful to watch them light up when they believe they helped solve it.
Marie
This was great for my kindergartner as a read together book. He enjoyed the story and didn't complain about sharing the responsibility of reading it. It turned out to be a better early reader than I was expecting - comprised primarily of basic vocabulary and pictures to help sort out the occasional longer or less common word.
Luisa Knight
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, i-can-read
This was a favorite of mine growing up! Mysteries are such a great way to get kids hooked into reading. They're propelled to keep going until the mystery has been solved. Highly recommend this beginner's book!

Reading Level: 1st - 4th grades

Cleanliness: a boy says "I would like Annie if I liked girls."
Craig
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brought to me by my 7 year old grandson E and I read this to three of my other grandchildren. Great illustrations and a fun story. Spoiler alert... the brother did it. (5 year old granddaughter KNEW it would be the younger brother causing the problems) Fun fun...
Mary
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
my granddaughter really liked this book...cute pictures and easy reading content...will be looking at more of Marjorie's stories...wording good for first grade level or advanced kindergarten readers...
Alex
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because I like mysteries. I also enjoyed this book because I like pictures. I also enjoyed this book because I like cats and dogs. I also enjoyed this book because I like paint.
scary or potty humor 1 8 Feb 04, 2014 05:08PM
Nate the great 2 13 Jun 26, 2012 02:51PM
  • The Big Balloon Race
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Mouse Tales
  • Wagon Wheels
  • Hill of Fire
  • The Titanic: Lost and Found
  • Daniel's Duck
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • At the Waterworks (Magic School Bus, #1)
  • The Golly Sisters Go West
  • The Fire Cat
  • Prairie School
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Flat Stanley (Flat Stanley, #1)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
  • Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Would you like some more pancakes?" Annie asked. I could tell that Annie was a smart girl. I hate to eat on the job. But I must keep up my strength.” 2 likes
“Annie has brown hair and brown eyes. And she smiles a lot. I would like Annie if I liked girls.” 2 likes