Start by marking “A Novel Idea: Everything You Need to Know about Writing Inspirational Fiction” as Want to Read:
A Novel Idea: Everything You Need to Know about Writing Inspirational Fiction

A Novel Idea: Everything You Need to Know about Writing Inspirational Fiction

Best-selling Christian fiction writers have teamed together to contribute articles on the craft of writing. A Novel Idea contains tips on brainstorming ideas and crafting and marketing a novel. It explains what makes a Christian novel Christian and offers tips on how to approach tough topics. Contributors include Jerry B. Jenkins, Karen Kingsbury, Francine Rivers, and many ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Novel Idea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Novel Idea

Start your review of A Novel Idea: Everything You Need to Know about Writing Inspirational Fiction
Margaret Chind
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: authors
Recommended to Margaret by: Vicky Lynch
This is such a fabulous resource. I must confess, as I think many book bloggers secretly has a deep desire to one day write a book of their own. This book is divided into perfect chapters that really have the best advice on writing inspiration fiction from authors with writing that I know and trust. From the initial idea of plot all the way into the issues of marketing this book really contains the best introduction for wanna-bees like me as well as those who are already started well into the pr ...more
C.J. Darlington
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read scores of books on the craft of writing, and I've learned from them all. But even though Christian fiction is one of the fastest growing segments in the market today, there have been few exhaustive manuals on writing in this genre. A Novel Idea, written by dozens of best-selling authors, is a timely and much-needed handbook.

The techniques of writing dialogue, creating suspense, and plotting stories are the same across genres, but some don't realize Christian fiction is not just fiction
Angela
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I just reread this book street a few years and I was struck again with so many things. I love the set up. Each chapter is a topic (settings, prewriting, etc) and then the chapter is broken into essay length reads from various authors. There are also sidebar articles and interviews. As a busy mom, I love being able to turn to the chapter I want to focus on for my current WIP, read a few pages, and learn great information that's going to help me with my writing today. It also offers encouragement ...more
Michaela Bush
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic resource for anyone interested in writing Christian fiction, especially the beginner author. I couldn't put it down because it was so compelling, and usually, "how-to" books aren't my forte. It also included information on how to approach agents and publishing houses, preparing a manuscript for submission; even marketing and blogging. Definitely money well-spent for this book!
Angela Suzanne
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I found this book very insightful and full of good ideas. As an aspiring novelist, I liked how every section was written by an already published author in the Christian fiction genre. This book answered some questions I had about the process of writing. I will definitely be using this book as a reference when it comes to my own writing.
Beth
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book did something for me that a Bachelor's degree in Creative Writing 15 years ago didn't... It inspired me. Through my traditional classes, I was told to write and then my writing was critiqued by both my peers and my professors. It was agonizing and ultimately squelched any desire for me to pursue writing as a hobby let alone a career when I walked away.

Instead of learning everything I was doing wrong, this book gave great insight into how to break down a story and its components. Having
Christy Lockstein
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A Novel Idea by ChiLibris is a must read for anyone who wants to write fiction, especially inspirational fiction. Several published authors offer their down to earth advice on everything from plotting to characterization to getting rid of writer's block. The recommendations are realistic and well written (as you'd expect from a bunch of writers) with an occasional touch of humor. As a wannabe author myself, I was thoroughly impressed with the amount of information contained inside. There are sev ...more
Alexxus
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every single writer - whether aspiring or expert.
Recommended to Alexxus by: I saw an ad for it in Christian Book magazine.
This is by far the best and most thourough writing-help book EVER. And I'm not over-exaggerating when I say that this should be on the bookshelf of every writer, whether aspiring or expert. "A Novel Idea" gives a very thourough and in-depth review of every aspect of writing. Nothing is left out in this book - it gives tips from getting a story started to getting it out and published.

I think one of my favourite things about this book is that instead of just ONE person writing all their tips, this
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
The advice and short articles in this book were helpful and applicable. I'm going to have to go back and highlight my favorites and take some of their strategies to heart. There were good tips and aspects in this novel that could be used for any writer. I'm glad I read this, but it's not something I'm probably going to go back to again and again. I really enjoyed it and I would still recommend it to people who are going to write in this genre. Definitely good to hear some advice from people who' ...more
Barbara
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Aspiring Christian fiction authors definitely need to have this book as a resource. The topics range from the basics of writing mechanics, such as character development and point of view, and progress all the way through presenting your book to publishers and marketing it. The advice is clear and concise, and presented by established Christian authors such as Karen Kingsbury, Terri Blackstock, and Randy Alcorn, so you can be confident they know what they are talking about. I enjoyed this book a ...more
Emmie
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This book is a very useful resource with great information on writing and publishing a novel. It is broken up into little sections written by different writers so you hear from a variety of people in the industry and it is easy to read. It is geared towards Christian/Inspirational writing, but anyone who is wanting to write and publish a novel could get good information out of this book. I know I will use it and reference it again as I work on editing and writing in the future.
Margaret Metz
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, favorites
This is one of the best books on writing I've read so far. It is well organized and having so many voices allows a balance of ideas. I can tell this is a reference I was not only appreciative as a new writer, but that I will turn to again as time goes by. It was practical, inspirational, encouraging and even entertaining. I'm thankful so many wonderful authors chose to share their knowledge like this.
Jourdan
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Won another thing on a first reads giveaway! How fun is that? I can't wait to read this one :D

This was such good advice to aspiring writers. It has my favorite author, Robin Jones Gunn, which made it all the better. I would definately recommend this to anyone wanting to write fiction. It's not just for Inspirational Fiction. It has plenty of good advice for starting any fiction book in general.
Virginia
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some of Christian fiction's greatest authors have put together a terrific collection of articles. Sharing their wisdom for writing a terrific Christian novel are: Karen Kingsbury, Jerry Jenkins, James Scott Bell, Deborah Raney, Angela Hunt, and many, many more. If you aspire to write Christian fiction, you don't want to miss this one.
Autumn
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a good book but some of the information didn't really go into enough depth.
Rebecca Rash
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for the Christian writer! Great advice, wonderful encouragement!
Janet Ferguson
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, adult
If you are interested in writing fiction, read this book. I've looked at a number of books about the art of writing. This one was highly readable. I read cover to cover.
Fida Abbott
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book for every Christian writers who want to improve their writing skill in Inspirational fiction. Every contributor of this book has shared their writing experiences.
LeAnne
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
articles with sidebars by a variety of authors so you get lots of input from different perspectives. This was put together as a fund raiser for Media Associates International and Litt-World.
Jessica
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By far, this is the best source for Christian Fiction Writers.
Beverly
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-writing
Excellent advice and insight from many voices singly united in teaching writing and inspiring the newbs.
Melissa Frye
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Informative and easy to read. I found it inspiring, so much so that I've started plotting a novel from an idea that's been tickling my brain for some time now.
Sara Ella
Chris
Nov 14, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7)
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life