Start by marking “Life's Ultimate Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Life's Ultimate Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy

Life's Ultimate Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy

A basic textbook on introduction to philosophy, Life's Ultimate Questions is from a renowned teacher and communicator and can be used in Christian and secular classrooms alike
Published July 27th 1999 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Life's Ultimate Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's Ultimate Questions

Start your review of Life's Ultimate Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy
Clark Goble
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Author Ronald H. Nash begins this text by stressing the value of “worldview thinking.” Nash defines a worldview as “a conceptual scheme that contains our fundamental beliefs [and] the means by which we interpret and judge reality” (Nash 14). Once Nash has established what constitutes a person’s worldview, part one of his text explores the worldview of naturalism and those of Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Augustine and Aquinas. Nash justifies his examination of worldviews with the claim that “a ...more
Felipe Barnabé
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, teologia
Muito bom. Uma boa introdução a filosofia. Me ajudou a entender alguns pontos que não ainda não estavam claros. Não é um livro de história da filosofia, então algumas pessoas podem sentir falta de alguns tópicos ou alguns filósofos. Mas os assuntos que o autor aborda são bem explicados mesmo quando são sucintos. Recomendo!
Dwight Davis
Sep 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
Awful. The sections on philosophers were okay. But the latter half, Nash's actual philosophical ranting, were unhelpful and unfair to those with different philosophical positions, particularly those who have a sympathy to postmodern philosophy. Not recommended for those actually interested in learning philosophy. Definitely recommended for those who just want to be told how to think without any critical reflection at all.
Daniel Alvers
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book! This is my new favorite textbook of Philosophy.... Every Christian should read this.
Cynthia
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
It is not an easy read. Philosophy is not my field. His habit of asking leading or sarcastic questions is sometimes confusing. Is he rebutting the opinion of the philosopher he is telling us about or is he illustrating an opinion of the philosopher? I got lost in that question a lot. Learning new vocabulary is hard. So is the twisting way that philosophers use logic to verify their opinion. You have to accept their definition of words to understand what they are saying and then follow their lead ...more
Doug
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is a great text for personal use or the classroom; it was the first textbook that I taught philosophy from. Nash does an excellent job of dividing the subject up into worldviews, starting with the Greeks and then trekking through time, considering eventually Augustine and Aquinas, and the modern influencers Hume and Kant. His suggestion that the pre-Socratics were precursors to modern philosophy has much merit considering their functional materialism. He favors the Reformed epistemological ...more
Grace
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent explanation of basic philosophy, its history, and how it compares and works with Christian philosophy. Goes into some hard concepts but it does a good job of explaining them, even really tough theological ones like omniscience (for real, the explanation of that one seriously changed my perspective on life and built up my faith).
Joshua Lawson
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
In Life's Ultimate Questions, Ronald Nash provides a general overview of the course of Western philosophy from pre-Socratic days to the common era. His own views bleed through many of its pages, but that's to be expected, I suppose. This is a good entry level work.
Chris
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chris by: Baptist Bible College
Ronald Nash follows through on his promise to provide the reader with enough philosophical knowledge to interact with the all-important concept of worldview. He gives the reader enough background information to competently engage the various systems of thought that are part of the world. By skillfully interacting with various perversions of reality in thought, Nash gives us the ability to see how every non-Christian system of thought in fundamentally flawed and unable to meet the worldview tests ...more
Christian
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Very enjoyable read. I find the author quite helpful in his quite concise style in providing a good overview. Secular readers should be aware that on several occasions the author's apologetic nature breaks through, and indeed a christian theme is apparent throughout the book.
To me however this was very helpful. The author clearly offers his opinion but when he does he marks it such. Thus I don't agree at all with a different reviewer who claims that you don't need to think for yourself but
Saz Jibson Ryan
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Nash expertly deals with main philosophical ideas. He first gives the background of the main influential thinkers like Plato, Aristotle and a few others. In the second portion of the book, Nash discusses important areas of philosophy. With his experience as a philosophy professor, he knows how to approach hard-to-grasp ideas and terms. His word analogies and explanations helped me to remember deep concepts.
Rowena Ivanhoe
I read this book for an introductory philosophy class. It did a great job of explaining rather complex philosophical concepts in a clear, easy-to-read way for non-philosophers like me. Written from a Reformed Christian perspective. I would definitely recommend it for someone who wants to get started in their study of Christian philosophy.
Shirleon Benson
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I had to read this for my intro to philosophy course at LBC. I was nervous about this class because I knew nothing about philosophy but this booked helped a lot. I enjoyed the way it was written. It wasn't too difficult to understand and there were many examples given to explain the different idea's that are out there in the philosophy world.
Buyung Hadi
Interesting sweep of survey on worldviews. Concise and engaging. Primarily an introductory text on phylosophy, it brought into light the inevitability of underlying 'worldview' in everyone's life, it may not be realized by the owner, may not even be consistent, but it's there.
Kymberly
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-book
I have really enjoyed this course so far. The philosophiers are some times hard to understand but this author has been very helpful!
Jeffrey Backlin
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
One of the first books that I read that introduced me to history of philosophy and its interactions with Faith, a sentimental book for me.
Martin
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
GREAT overview of philisophical thought. Then you can dig deeper into areas that strike a chord.
Kymberly
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book. I think I still had a hard time with understanding some theories but I think this was more me than the book.
Kellon Edwards
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Philosophy book I have read. Very informative, covers a lot of ground. I will likely read it again in the future.
G.M. Burrow
Jun 29, 2010 rated it liked it
It was probably decent. I honestly don't remember.
Juan David Correa
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Read it well. It has a lot on information,.
Jonathan
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I disagree with his take on Immanuel Kant.
Adam Ross
May 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This was our standard text in one of my first philosophy courses. It was better than okay and worked well in a secular class, but ultimately not impressive.
Jason

• Missions: Biblical Foundations and Contemporary Strategies
  • The Christian's Reasonable Service, Volume 1
  • Conversation: How Talk Can Change Our Lives
  • Unleashed: The Story of Tool
  • Words Can Change Your Brain: 12 Conversation Strategies to Build Trust, Resolve Conflict, and Increase Intimacy
  • Promethea, Vol. 1
  • Promethea, Vol. 2
  • The Hermetica
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Promethea, Vol. 3
  • Fight Club 2
  • Promethea, Vol. 4
  • Batman – The Dark Knight: Golden Dawn
  • Tweak: Growing Up On Methamphetamines
Ronald H. Nash (PhD, Syracuse University) was a longtime professor at Western Kentucky University, Reformed Theological Seminary, and The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

He was an heir of the theological tradition of Carl F.H. Henry, and was an lifelong admirer and student of Augustine of Hippo, his favorite philosopher.

He was the author of numerous books, including The Concept of God,