Start by marking “Never Ask a Bear” as Want to Read:
Never Ask a Bear

Never Ask a Bear

You can ask a bear over to play, but don't expect him to know the rules!

He'll bang on doors, stretch your favorite tutu, throw the ball too hard, slurp water from the sink, splatter cookie dough with his paws, and even scare your little sister.

With this helpful and hilarious guidebook, you'll know just what to do when you-know-who comes a-knocking!
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Never Ask a Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Ask a Bear

Kathryn
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This reminds me of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" -- but it's not as good. Maybe it was just me, but "Never Ask a Bear" seems to have a more negative tone and the things the bear does are more random whereas "Mouse/Cookie" all ties together in such a fun way. I *think* we are supposed to assume by the end that the kids actually like the bear's antics, but I guess I just wanted there to be more fun along the way. The illustrations also didn't wow me, even though I loved them in "Thanks for Thanks ...more
Sandy
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, childrens
This was cute and some of it was fun and silly but I didn't think there was that much to the book. Little kids will like the rhyming and the pictures.
Brianna Osborne
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
B loved it, Dad and I thought it was long and boring.
Anna J.
Oct 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: eng-261
Never Ask a Bear by Louise Bonnett- Rampersaud is picture book that gives a list of ten rules to keep in mind if a person asks a bear into his or her home. This story is written in a rhyming pattern and describes how a bear will do everything wrong because he does not know the correct way to do it such as pushing the door so hard that it falls into the front yard or getting a drink by slurping water from the sink. This book though imaginative and silly was not that funny in my opinion. Barnes an ...more
Anayssa Pulido
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a cute, easy read story for children preschool to first grade. It has a lot of if/then rhythm so it is great to teach cause and effect. For example, if you ask a bear to close your door, he'll slam it, bang it, push it and it will end up in your yard. It has a fun rhyme throughout the story which also makes it a catchy short story. It is a pretty silly story overall because you get to see illustrations of the bear doing crazy things like dressing up, baking, etc. Overall, it is great for ...more
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a simple read and would be good for grades pre-k through 1st. It has an if/then rhythm through out the book which could be used in teaching cause and effect. This could even be used in explaining before & after. My younger brother used to struggle with this concept & cause & effect writing requires you to understand this. The pictures are nice and the text reminded me of "If you give a mouse a cookie."
Heidi-Marie
The book was all right overall. I didn't quite like the ending. The rhyming made the text move. And it was fun to see the bear make such a mess of so many things. Kids would enjoy that. Could work in a preschool storytime, but I'm not sure I'd read it well enough. Best for me to keep it as a lap-read or read-along.
Jess Brown
This book reminded me of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie: it has the same if/then set-up to it, and of course the "if" always produces an awful "then." Ten rules for having a bear over to play make the format for the story, and they're cutsie, goofy, and rhyme-y. Not much wows in this book, but it's still a cute one. Appropriate for preschoolers.
Tam
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was okay for my 4-year-old. He thought some of the rules were funny but most of the time we had to talk about them. Some he didn't understand (Rule #2 - Don't ask a bear to "Please take a seat" because the bear thinks that means he eats it).
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think is a fabulous children's book. We ended up checking this out from the library and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. My six year old loved it! You should definitely check this out if you have kids!
MissInformation
Dec 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Counts out the 10 rules of things you should never ask a bear to do-play dress up, make cookies, etc.- with silly pictures an d rhyming text about the disasters that will ensue.

OK for Story Time.
John
Jan 26, 2010 added it
Another FANTASTIC read for youngsters!
Marge
Oct 11, 2009 added it
Shelves: picture-books
friend to play with
Rachel
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Silly fun, Illustrations have nice depth.
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun read for preschoolers about the things a bear will do, they are all silly and exaggerated, and the illustrations are a nice match. I think it would make a nice read aloud.
Carrie
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute
Annabella
Re read July 2014
Serena
This was cute. Wasn't my favorite but I could see myself reading it to my future kid(s).
Amanda
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
This was cute and kind of fun, but didn't seem realistic or to have any kind of lesson which is why I've rated it as I have.
Karen
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Um... this book wants to be cute in a "If You Give A Mouse a Cookie" way, but it isn't. It feels stiff, derivative, and unoriginal, and it lacks Felicia Bond's delightful illustrations.
Christyweber1
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
natalie got a litt bored with this one
Regina