Start by marking “Day Is Done” as Want to Read:
Day Is Done

Day Is Done

Peter Yarrow follows the blockbuster success of Puff, the Magic Dragon with a picture book version of his beautiful song, “Day Is Done.”

As night falls, animal and human parents everywhere tenderly tuck their children into bed. In the darkness, each child—raccoon, doe, rabbit, field mouse, and a little boy—wonders: Will I be safe? Will you be there for me? And every mommy a
Published October 6th 2009 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Day Is Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day Is Done

Tamra
Apr 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one, it's awful
Are you kidding me?

I'm a huge Peter, Paul & Mary fan, but my kids picked this one out from the library without me knowing what it was. My PP&M fan status, however, didn't help. The book is still crap.

Do you know the song? Do you know how many times they say "Day is done"? A lot. And the book says those words nearly the same amount of times. Like this:

"And if you take my hand, my son,
All will be well when the day is done."
Opposite page:
"And if you take my hand, my son,
All will be well wh
Pam
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at Savers, complete with it's originally enclosed CD. It's really good. I do prefer the original Peter, Paul and Mary version of the song, however...Gotta re-buy that CD I used to have on vinyl!
Kelly
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-challenge
I wanted to like this more...but the story has a song within it. It threw me and if it wasn't so repetitive, it would've been better.
Lizzie
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I really like Melissa Sweet illustrations - especially of people. But this really wasn't a great song turned into book examples.
Katherine
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Day is Done is a unique picture book/song/CD combo. Written by Peter Yarrow (of Peter, Paul, and Mary fame), the book illustrates Peter's song and a CD is included in the back with the song on it. This would be a great bed time story/lullaby for babies and toddlers.
Kiran
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Nice message and decent illustrations but a lot of word/phrase repetition. I understand that repetition is beneficial but there is very little text and it becomes a bit boring as the caregiver doing the reading.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So cute! I love the pictures. An inspiring little poem about "All will be well when the day is done". The illustrations are so heartwarming. I might like it for a babytime, except there are some lines that are a little serious
Kimberly
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not much to this. I'm not sure the reason this was made into a book.
Bailie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was not a huge fan of the repeating in this book. I understand that it is more of a lullaby type of song but I did not prefer that. I do however like the rhyming in the sentences.
Kalynda
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-book
This board book is a version of the author's song, comforting young ones with the loving care and attention of their parents.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Peter Yarrow fans
Okay, so I have heard of the band Peter, Paul and Mary and I grew up in the 1970s listening to Puff, the Magic Dragon (and listening to a bunch of theories what it's really about), but that's about it for my knowledge of this group. When we saw this book at the library, we thought, "Aw, how cute - a nice story to read at bedtime."

Not so much.

There is no story, just song lyrics to a song I didn't know. Song lyrics that repeated over and over in a seriously irritating way. I admitted to our girl
Stephanie Ward
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-copy, owned
Day is Done is a children's picture book that goes hand in hand with the author's song of the same title. The story is essentially the lyrics to the song, only laid out in book form. When reading it, the rhythm felt choppy and wasn't natural. There really wasn't a formed rhyme scheme, which made reading the story a bit boring. The book is illustrated in full page colors that are eye catching and visually stimulating for the child. I personally didn't think the pictures were that cute, but they d ...more
Shannon McGee
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
First I off I barely know the song that this book referenced and I did not get to listen to the CD that comes with the book. I was impressed with the art and the had the tune of the song in my head as I read it. It felt... I wouldn’t say depressing but very mellow...almost too mellow.

Also this seems to be only for a son. As in the song or story “I will be here my son” is throughout the book. Nothing wrong with that I just thought Puff the Magic Dragon is more for every child or adult but a littl
Hope L. Justice
There are a lot of comments this isn't as good as Puff. Well of course it's not as good, it is not Puff. The song is mellow and nice, kind of melancholy. It comes with a cd. The illustrations are really pretty, the scenery well done. I think it is a nice song, done to fit a child's book. There is nothing unpleasing or unartful about using a song to do a children's plot. It is an entirely different form. I think it is surprising and pleasant and well done enough to hold up to criticism on forms o ...more
Tionna Parker
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Day is done was a joy to read because bedtime is sometimes a struggle that I go through with my daughter. This book would be able to just put the child's mind at ease and allow them to enjoy a peaceful nap or bedtime at the end of the day. This would be a great transition book for those young children who may have a hard time falling asleep or that suffer from some sort of separation anxiety. The text and illustrations went very well together and it was overall a story that I enjoyed and would r ...more
Ariel S
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Title: Day is Done
Author: Peter Yarrow. He co-wrote the song, "Puff, the Magic dragon." He is also an American signer with a folk- song trio.
Illustrator: Melissa Sweet
Review: A wonderfully sweet book based on caregivers and children's relationships. It is based on social-emotional because the caregiver always wants to know how the child is feeling. There is a lot of repetition and good vocabulary words.
Gisele Tamara
I have never heard about this book until my peer presented it at our storybook showcase. I love how his book can be used as a way to help/support the children when they are feeling the same exact way the cub did in the beginning. The illustrations were just incredible. They were a beautiful representation of what was going on in the story. I loved how my peer made rhyming words puzzle pieces to go along with the story.
Melissa Holt
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-showcase
This was a really cute book! This is a book you could read during naptime to get the children to sleep. The book goes through different mom, and baby animals all going to sleep. It is a great book to read to children because you could ask what children do for night time, like there night time routine.
Tanisha James
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Day Is Done is beautifully illustrated and written with calming and peaceful words which can be wonderful bedtime story. This book will be great to read to children and create a discussion to help build social and emotional skills. The story have rhyming words. Day Is Done It could be also used to assist with creating communication, language and literacy skills.
Jane
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Day is Done is a poetic book about a father reassuring his son about his fears by being close to him. The children enjoy the repetition and the CD with two other songs that comes with it where the book is sung to music. The most outstanding part of the book is the illustrations by Melissa Sweet.
Maria E
This book is a great book for social emotional develop in young children. The story is very easy going and it has the touch of care for children. Wonderful to read at the beginning of the school year; so it can help children to feel safe.It has great vocabulary and rhyming words for Language Arts activities. Ages 3-7 yrs.
Gricel
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book can be use to help the children cope with separation anxiety and smooth them while feeling a strong emotion. It also can be use to teach to be grateful of so many things we have around. The text is very easy to follow and repetitive so it is great for beginner readers. Ages 3-7.
Shannon Brown
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is okay to read to children age one and above. It teaches love and comfort. This book also teaches a child that it is okay to go to school and when he/she come back home mom or dad will be there waiting for him/her. The pictures in this book was great.
Danielle Mootz
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Maybe I needed the song to go along with the book but its a library book we checked out and if course there's no longer a cd with the book. It just wasn't enough of a story for my kids to get it, in fact they thought I was messing with them when I kept repeating the same lines over and over again.
Diana Acosta
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is great for mother and son book relationship. It has the social and emotional and also rhyming words. Is a relax book for bed time story. The presentation with this was good. Is a great book for early readers.
Thomas
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
If you're a fan of Peter, Paul and Mary and remember "It's Raining" with the lady bug and the house going on fire and the children burning? You're in the same (eerie) ballpark with this book (and snoozer of a CD).
Maritza
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book have great illustrations and I like the song. Is a nice book that have repetitive words and help the children is the area of social emotional area. This book is apropiate for young childrens.
Angela
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Gorgeous illustrations, but not enough content. I even tried to capture Cooper's attention with the CD that was included and my child who LOVES any kind of music told me to turn it off. Sorry Mr.Yarrow, I love your music and always will, hopefully Cooper will learn:)
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
This delightfully illustrated book showcases Peter, Paul and Mary’s classic song: Day is Done. Featuring various animals and their babies the story moves through the song lyrics. A fun musical introduction to folk songs and an opportunity to sing to/with your child.
Agnes Mukoro
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Written by Peter Yarrow. This book will be able to put children's mind at ease and allow them to end the day. The text and illustration are good and children will love it.It promote social and emotional development.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »