Start by marking “The Sweet By and By (Songbird, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sweet By and By (Songbird, #1)

The Sweet By and By

(Songbird #1)

Jade Fitzgerald left the pain of her past in the dust when she headed out for college a decade ago. Now she's thriving in her career and glowing in the light of Max Benson's love.

But then Jade's hippie mother, Beryl Hill, arrives in Whisper Hollow, Tennessee, for Jade's wedding along with Willow, her wild younger sister. Their arrival forces Jade to throw open the dark clo
Published January 5th 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published September 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweet By and By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet By and By

Start your review of The Sweet By and By (Songbird, #1)
Gina
Sep 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
I enjoy Sara Evans music. I hated this book. I don't know that I had expectations for it exactly, but I thought it would be better than this. However, I do think results may vary. If you're someone who watches every Hallmark Christmas movie on repeat, then you will probably like this better than me. If, however, you are like me and maybe try to watch 1 every season just to be reminded, yet again, why you hate Hallmark Christmas movies, then this definitely isn't the book for you.

This cloyingly s
Joy
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a women's fiction fan, but I am a huge Rachel Hauck fan and her collaboration with Sara Evans did not let me down. Like her other stories, this book was filled with her signature multi-layered characters.

Beryl is an aging hippie trying to reconnect with her estranged daughter Jade. Unfortunately, Jade carries a lot of bitterness and anger toward her mother. As the authors deftly reveal her hurts to us one layer at a time, we ache over her past but cheer her on as she finally lear
Maggie Carr
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
🎶🎤💃✍📖 "All of my songs tell a story. But this one's special. My first novel. The story about Jade. Her search for real love, her one-eyed mutt, hippie mother, and her quirky vintage shop. It's about looking backward while moving forward. About chasing dreams, endless country roads, and tender faith. A breath of fresh air that'll take your breath away and leave your heart humming a song of joy."
Singer's, songwriter and now author Sara Evans. 🎶🎤💃✍📖
Irene Bue
Faith Ann
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really not a 4 star but close. Very interesting storyline although some of the story development was too unrealistic. Kept me turning pages however and it ended wonderfully. A very enjoyable quick read.
Erin
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Sometimes the past is better left in the past. That's what Jade Fitzgerald is convinced would be best for her, but as the weeks count down before she marries the man of her dreams Jade is haunted by her broken childhood. Should she invite the mother who abandoned her? Just how much heartache is she willing to expose herself to in order to reach out?

Beryl never grew out of being the free-spirited flower child of the '60's. She's lived life on her own terms with little thought of the impact her ch
Jessica Till
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I like Rachel Hauck's books, but this wasn't my favorite. The characters' problems were complex and reasonably well-portrayed, but the resolution of them was overly simplistic. I also take exception to the number of boundary violations that are glossed over because someone "meant well" or was a person of faith. Forgiveness is indeed divine, but that doesn't erase the need to respect others; some supporting characters get an egregious pass on that one.

Trigger warning: Graphic discussion of abort
Taunya
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I think I was looking for another book by the same name or a similar name. This one is ok, it's a romance/finding Jesus novel co-written by the singer Sara Evans. In the interview she does at the beginning, she says that this is not her life story, just a novel she had in her head. I guess the moral is that with all life experiences that are bad, we need to forgive and move on in order to be happy...even when we are the victims. ...more
☯Lilbookworm☮
A very good book. I would love to read the other two!
Susan Forsgren
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found that it did not coincide with my moral standards.
Shelley D.
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
As Jade prepares for her upcoming wedding to Max, she must first confront some demons from her past, most notably her mother. Being a fan of her music, I generally enjoyed Evans' first book. It was a quick and "fluffy" read - definitely not something you need to think too hard about.

The plot jumping from past to present was a great way to slowly peel away Jade's layers and reveal more and more about her, giving her depth. The small town of Whisper Hollow is incredibly charming and the imagery u
Teresa
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great book! I wasn't sure what to expect. I hadn't picture Sara Evans as an author. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this is written. I expected the conversations to be stilted and awkward, but that wasn't the case at all. It easily intertwined faith and forgiveness throughout the story. Good reminders to all of us that God forgives, and we must forgive not only others but ourselves as well. ...more
Kathy Mizell
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgiven

Jade had blamed so many people for all the hurts she had from the time she was 8 years old to the week before she was to marry Max Benton, the love of her life. Sara Evans wrote a wonderful book of a young girl and all the years of growing up, the most important night that she spent with the man that helped her forgive and who forgave her. Read this book and you will cry from sorrow and happiness.
Ashley
Oct 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Yeah...this was not for me. I borrowed the audiobook from my local library because the title fit a prompt in a reading challenge I'm doing this year. I didn't really read what it was about. All of the characters made horrible choices throughout the book that had me rolling my eyes almost constantly. There's a way to do sweet romance with some conflict that ends in a happily ever after and this isn't it. ...more
Janet Friesner
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This first book of this trilogy was wonderful. It was written a long time ago and this trilogy as far as I can find is the only Christian Fiction written by Sara Evans. Rachel Hauck, a wonderful Christion Fiction Author joined her in this endeavor. I am looking forward to reading the next two books in this series. Wonderful story showing the need for second chances and our need for a personal relationship with Jesus. Highly recommend.
Jennifer Mitchell-Shirley
I read the 3rd in the series first, then the 2nd, now the 1st as it just became available. So I wanted to know how the story started. About half way through I thought, “This is insanity.” But finished it, and it did answer the questions I had from the other books and the story, complete story, came together. So if you read this one first, the rest of the series is worth reading and it is an interesting story of relationships and characters. Glad I read them all.
Pam Chaffin
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A christian trilogy, (Book 1), filled with family, faith, and real life issues of all kinds that can and do surround and break down families. The trilogy also shows what faith in God, and following His will can do to help rebuild marriages, relationships, and to heal broken hearts.
Definitely worth reading!
Crystal Ellyson
The Sweet By and By Review.

It was okay book. It took me forever to get into it. I like the book. The main character, Jade was the only thing that kept me from giving up on this book.
Betty
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story of Jade Fitzgerald, her family struggles, and heartaches. Bitterness consumes her and blame keeps her from feeling free. When she is able to share all the secrets of her past and find a comforting spiritual relationship her life begins a whole new chapter.
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story. A couple is getting married but there are many secrets from a broken past that has to come to light for the bride. The groom seems like the golden boy. His character is not very developed.
Megan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this story. I wasn't really expecting much but it turned into a sweet and touching family story. Reading book number two. ...more
Heidi
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A sweet family novel. Wonderful to read about family relationships being healed. Great Christian element.
Brenda
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This sweet romance involves just the right amount of family chaos and redemption through faith, prayer, and divine intervention. I really enjoyed this novel of forgiveness and faith.
Nicole
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to-it
A read that made me consider the many things that people consider worth hiding or keeping away from those they love. And the number of cases when the decision to do so is not the best choice.
Cathy Kaufman
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book began very slow, but ended ok.
Janet Merrell
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Sweet story of forgiveness. Interesting family dynamics. Excited to read more.
kmm1985
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Sweet!
Cassie_Reads_Books
Aug 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Beth Melius
First in Series, a nice surprise series to find. Thoroughly enjoyed the entire thing, shared with my Mom.
Joni Markowski
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great story of God’s ability to heal our hearts and old hurts. This has just the right amount of romance, drama and intrigue to keep it interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Love Starts with Elle
  • Dining with Joy (Lowcountry Romance, #3)
  • Sweet Caroline
  • The Wedding Chapel
  • The Writing Desk
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • How to Catch a Prince (Royal Wedding, #3)
  • Princess Ever After (Royal Wedding, #2)
  • The Memory House
  • The Wedding Shop
  • To Love a Prince (True Blue Royal, #1)
  • Once Upon a Prince (Royal Wedding, #1)
  • A Royal Christmas Wedding (Royal Wedding, #4)
  • The Love Letter
  • Georgia on Her Mind
  • Secretly Smitten (Smitten, #2)
  • Driftwood Lane (Nantucket, #4)
  • Smitten (Smitten, #1)

Songbird (3 books)
  • Softly and Tenderly (Songbird, #2)
  • Love Lifted Me (Songbird, #3)

News & Interviews

'Tis the season of the beach read, that herald of summer sun and vacation vibes! Whether you're the type of reader who has very strict rules...
“Even the wise need wisdom.” 11 likes