Start by marking “Confessions of Madame Psyche” as Want to Read:
Confessions of Madame Psyche

Confessions of Madame Psyche

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This 1987 American Book Award Winner follows the story of the young Mei-li Murrow who is dubbed “Madame Psyche” after she accidentally predicts the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. Although she wins fame and fortune, Mei-li seeks a truer spirituality, and embarks on a pilgrimage that takes her to the death-soaked Europe of the First World War, to a utopian commune in the ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Feminist Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of Madame Psyche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of Madame Psyche

Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books! The premise of the book as a factual memoir is completely believable and I had to look many times at the "This is a work of fiction..." citation to be reminded that it was truly a novel and not a memoir. I'm fascinated by the premise that someone can be institutionalized in a psychiatric hospital on the say-so of a more powerful person. Mei makes the best of every situation she is in, and the twists and turns of her life are well laid out in this memoir!
Inga
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books ever! It took me YEARS to find the title again! I am so excited - I am going to have to read it again!

Salena
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
amazing! One of my all time favourite reads. I haven't seen it or read it for at least 15 years and just stumbled across it on a Goodreads list.
PJ Swanwick
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Award-winning novel is a magical fusion of spirituality and history

This 1987 American Book Award Winner by Dorothy A. Bryant masterfully blends the narrator's spiritual journey through the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, WWI in Europe, the Great Depression as a laborer and union organizer in California, and WWII from a pacifist's perspective, until she finally discovers spiritual peace in a psychiatric hospital.

Spiritual/metaphysical content: High. About ten pages into the 1919 - 1926 section, Br
Sherry
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I happened upon this book while I was at a spiritual retreat many years ago. It was a lovely place in New Mexico. This book has fascinated me ever since. For some unexplained reason, I just love the story of this woman's life. Very detailed and interesting.
Dee
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read it in a book group. We argued for a long time whether or not it was true. It is one of my all-time favorite books. It was all set in locations we knew well (except for the mental institution).
Angela
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!
Laura Siegel
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
A little known book but amazing. What if you're a child raised to believe you're a psychic. How go you come to term with who you are and heal?
Stephen
Oct 12, 2015
Aedan Lake
Jun 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Dorothy Bryant was born in San Francisco in 1930, second daughter of Joe and Giuditta Calvetti, both born in Balangero, a factory town near Turin, Italy, and brought to the United States as children. Bryant became the first in her family to graduate from college, and she earned her living teaching (high school and college) until 1976. She began writing in 1960 and has since published a dozen books ...more
More about Dorothy Bryant...