Start by marking “The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3)

The Sacrifice

(Abram's Daughters #3)

In 'Abram's Daughters', book 3, the sequel to 'The Betrayal', tragedy befalls Leah, forcing her to choose between her happiness and her family.
Published February 1st 2013 by Bethany House Publishers (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacrifice

Shannon
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This Amish family has totally pulled me in - strange to admit being that I am not really religious (certainly not Amish), and not fond of the romance genre. Look up this book and it's categorized as both belonging to both Christianity and romance. And yet.....I really love this series. This author has the gift to pull you into a world that you know nothing about and get you thoroughly invested in characters you would have thought you have nothing in common with. As I write I guess the commonalit ...more
Jerry
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great Amish novel from Beverly Lewis. Can't wait to see where the story goes from here!
Yvonne
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Another none too happy book in the series. Maybe book three will be happier.
MAP
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, religion
Rachel Brand
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish, 2010, christian
I'm fairly eating these books up! Can't get enough of this series. I've come to accept that some sort of tragedy is going to befall the Ebersol family in each book and that Leah is going to suffer many trials, but that doesn't make these books any less engaging or compelling. Lewis's writing gets better with each installment and she makes it possible for us to truly get inside the heads of her characters and understand their feelings and emotions. It was great to finally see more focus on Hannah ...more
Janice
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this on the Kindle

I am really enjoying this series, this being a 3rd in a 5 book series
I am really liking Leah & you feel sorry for her as she always putting everyone else before herself

I can't say too much as it will give the story away for this book, i am guessing about Carl Nolt in the story i think i know who his parents are so will be interested to know if i am right he adopted so that why i am guessing

Where Abram was one you didn't like it turning
Sherri
Oct 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I was a bit surprised by how things went in this book. I know the author is trying to show how strong the Leah character is but I felt let down by the change of events in her life. I wanted to see more of her struggle in overcoming her feelings for her sister; it fell a bit flat for me.
Bailey Marissa
This series is good, but if people would just communicate, this could be great. Miscommunication as a plot device is one of my least favorite things in fiction, hence the three stars instead of four.

This is a heartbreaking book, but it does end on a somewhat hopeful note. I'm also not sure about how I feel about the almost underground conversion scenes here; it feels more like an author's preference insert than it does as though it was a natural progression of the story.

R
Sylvia
I loved this book!! great story!! sad that the mom died during child birth!!
Anne Marie
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lola
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Book 3 of "Abram's Daughters."
I didn't think this was as interesting as the first two books
but it was good in parts, depending on the story being featured.
Sadie left, never to return and was shunned. Her family could
not even speak her name. Mary Ruth left to live with the Mennonite
neighbors who were considered "Englishers." They helped her to
follow her dream of being a teacher which her father, Abram, was
not in favor of. She hadn't been baptized so there
Brandi
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am still enjoying Ms. Lewis's Abram's Daughters series, but it's starting to feel as if it's starting to drag a bit. I also groan every time the character of Mary Ruth turns up because unfortunately, she seems to be nothing more than a mere tool to dispense the author's religious rhetoric anymore. Once is okay, twice even, but on and on and on of repeating the same dogma is getting a bit worn and awful redundant. It's staring to feel like the author is harping more on her own religious rhetori ...more
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: amish
Someone described these books as an Amish soap opera and they're absolutely right. Of all the things that drive me batty, it's when bad communication or no communication cause such heartache and suffering. TALK TO EACH OTHER!!!!!
Gail
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This is only the second book I have read by Beverly Lewis. If it had been the first, I wouldn't have read more. I thought it had too much sadness in it. I read for enjoyment not to be sad. I can understand some sadness but the book disappointed me.
Melinda Christensen
This book is third in the series of "Abram's Daughters". Not having read the first two books, I was downright confused as to who-was-who. But this is the gist: Leah, the second daughter of the Ebersol family of Gobbler's Knob Amish community is engaged to be married. Jonas, the beau, and her sister Sadie leave the state approximately the same time. Leah is devastated when she thinks they are married. Smithy Gil asks to court her, so she feels better. In the meantime, the twins, Hannah and Ruth A ...more
Erika
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Misunderstandings and half truths are the order of the day in this installment of the series. Characters are faced with tough decisions and tragic events, making this a darker book in comparison to the two previous ones. There's also twists and turns taking you by surprise until almost the very end.

I enjoyed reading this book a lot. They way characters processed betrayal, loss and the meaning of family ties had me reflecting on my own life and history. I've read other people were bei
Beth Pearson
My mom read this series before me and got very impatient with everyone having so many problems. As a mom of 3 young adults, I didn't think there were too many problems. Each child having their own struggles and different personalities that worry the parents, as well as the parents having their own problems, seems like what I live right now!

Without saying too much, I missed knowing anything about Sadie and Jonas. I imagine this was intentional by the author...gives us more of a sense of what the
Julie Ruch
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, fiction
Christian Fiction Absolutely Heartbreaking

Not since A Voice in the Wind have I read such a realistic fictional account of what it means to do as Jesus said,
"Whoever will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.."
If you are serious about being transformed into His image, and if you enjoy Christian Fiction, I highly recommend this book.

I do not normally enjoy Christian fiction, the quality of the writing is so poor. But this author, like Francine Rivers, is in a class
Megan
Diana C. Kobylak
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel not only portrays Leah as a humble servant, willing to again sacrifice love for someone else, it also portrays her humanity and her inner struggles to accept her lot in life. Leah makes things right with her prodigal sister, Sadie. She also forgives her repentant father over past wrongdoings. I rooted for the protagonist in this story. I am excited to continue reading the Prodigal as next in the series hoping for a glimmer of hope in the midst of all the hurt.
Natalie Waddington
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. I don't understand how I get so engrossed in a book that I feel what they feel and get angry enough to throw my book against the wall ,but she's done it again Beverly Lewis has gone and made me emotional.
Allison Clark
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. I enjoyed the continuation of Leah, Hannah and Mary Ruth's stories among other characters in the book as well. I enjoyed the homecoming of a missed character at the end. Beautiful story about love, mistakes, loss and believing in God's plan for your life.
Gretchen Fatouros
Really rough one to read. It hurts because we are forced to love Leah from the last Book & you can’t help but be heartbroken with her.

Then one bad thing after another...

Need a happy book after this one. Not sure if I want to read Book 4.
bert-bobbi
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fine addition to this seris.
Kori Gammon
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I cried a few times during this book. So many sad things in their lives. I admire the Amish for their work ethic and devotion to their religion and way of life.
Faith
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very touching. Leah really did sacrifice a lot for her family and it just shows the love a family will do to remain a family especially in hard times.
Heather
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
read this in one sitting! once again I can't wait to see what happens next!
Tara
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great book!
Ellyn (Mrs. Darcy in my Dreams)
3.5 stars. This was a re-read. This didn't have as much plot, many years passed between minor events. I'm not sure how LEAH could be so quick to forgive father and sister for their underhanded ways.
Elizabeth Simpson
This fabulous story just keeps getting better!! So glad the 4th in the series is already on my bookshelf!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Looking for a Miracle (Brides of Lancaster County, #2)
  • When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, #3)
  • The Wonder of Your Love (Land of Canaan #2)
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous bestselle

Abram's Daughters (5 books)
  • The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1)
  • The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2)
  • The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4)
  • The Revelation (Abram's Daughters, #5)