Start by marking “Children of the Covered Wagon” as Want to Read:
Children of the Covered Wagon

Children of the Covered Wagon

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Young children will love to read this historically-accurate, personal account of pioneers heading west on the Oregon Trail during the mid-1800s. Great illustrations, large print and helpful maps will enhance your child's journey through this exciting historical period.
Published March 1st 2007 by Christian Liberty Press (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Covered Wagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Covered Wagon

Stephanie A.
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Oregon Trail! What fascinates me is that when she wrote this, she got praise for describing a "little-told" chapter of American history. And it's true. Everyone under the age of at least 25 is thoroughly versed in the Oregon Trail games, but this was even before Little House on the Prairie. Book version.

Basically, if you loved playing that game and want to read it in novel form, this is your ticket.
Nicole
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good adventure story about children walking the Oregon Trail. It is written for children with great illustrations. I couldn't put it down. Adventures with indians, fur-trappers, indians, animals, indians.... I think you get the picture.

I learned a lot about the pioneers and about myself!

By the way, this edition shows the wrong illustrator, it should be Esther Brann.
Lexi
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
I read this with my 4th graders in our study of Westward expansion. They absolutely loved it. It was a great way for us to become more acquainted with life on the Oregon Trail; however, as a piece of Literature, it is nothing spectacular. The characters are not very well developed and it's a bit overly moralizing.
Dawn Roberts
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Very detailed account of a fictional wagon train crossing the plains to Oregon in the 1840's. A bit of moralizing and overly poetic language, but still engaging.
Wayne Walker
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is 1844, and seven year old orphaned Jerry is out on the prairie. He has left his home in Osage, MO, to travel with a covered wagon train captained by his uncle Jim Stephen. Also along are his Aunt Beth who is his late mother’s sister, his eleven year old cousin Jim, and many others. They are all heading over the Oregon Trail toward the Willamette Valley of Oregon. However, with hostile Indians all around, quicksand in the river fords, sudden storms, the threat of buffalo stampedes, and alkal ...more
Melissa
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought that this book was a pretty good book. One thing I would change would make the really important parts of the text needed to stand out more. But the rest of the book was not really the best, but it still had a few good parts. I did like the older type of English that they used in the 1850ś than the English that we use now in books. I also liked how the author is teaching the readers about the Oregon trails history, and the things you could encounter.
Carrie Allen
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I thought it was good that it explained not only the excitement and thrill of traveling in a covered wagon to a new land, but also explained and detailed some of the dangers and hardships. It was a good read.
Christa R
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex, erik
The boys read this for their history program. It was their favorite so far of the books that had been assigned.
Aja
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really recommend this one if you are at all into the American West. I didn't really like the West until I read this book. It moves pretty fast so you won't get bored.
Lifeisgreyt
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nice story! Learned so much!
Candice
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great point of view from the children on the trail, i liked the details and characters very much.
Abigail Lohmann
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Good book. Well written. Not my absolute favorite though:)
Angela
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A solid read with a great look at the time - from both the pioneer and native perspectives. Great chapter book for jr high readers (or older, obviously). :-)
Raymond Bial
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Historically accurate and beautifully written, this book is an American classic that will appeal to both children and adults.
Leia-Catherine
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
I like it because the boy has a lot of exciting things that happened!
Daniel
Jul 24, 2017
Sveta
Apr 25, 2017
Lexi
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2016
Jun 22, 2009
Viking
Nov 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
MARY JANE CARR has lived in the Pacific Northwest all her life. She was born and grew up with four sisters and four brothers in Portland, Oregon. She attended both high school and Marylhurst College there.
After college Miss Carr joined The Catholic Sentinel, a weekly newspaper. She began as a proofreader and eventually worked her way up to the job of associate editor. Her feature articles also ap
More about Mary Jane Carr...