Start by marking “The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)

The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events #8)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  73,918 Ratings  ·  1,726 Reviews
There is nothing to be found in the pages of these books but misery and despair. You still have time to choose something else to read. But if you must know what unpleasantries befall the charming and clever Baudelaire children read on...The Hostile Hospital - There are many pleasant things to read about, but this book contains none of them. Within its pages are such burden ...more
Published September 4th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Hostile Hospital, please sign up.

Sally I would recommend starting from the start, but the usual middle part of the book is more of the present than the past, so it's not horrible if you…moreI would recommend starting from the start, but the usual middle part of the book is more of the present than the past, so it's not horrible if you start in the middle of this series.(less)

Mark Lawrence
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
The Hostile Hospital (book 8 of 13) is the first volume (I believe) to introduce the idea that the children themselves have to do things to survive that, while understandable, are not 'noble' when viewed in isolation. This begins in earnest the theme of noble vs villainous people that dominates to the end of the series.

It demonstrates an increasing sophistication in the novels, perhaps born of the idea that the audience were growing older over the years that the books were published.

In previous
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Aug 09, 2015 marked it as abort-mission
Alright, I am hereby aborting my mission to finish this series. Here is my reasoning:

1. Every book has the same exact formulaic plot.

2. Every book has versions of same exact characters doing the same exact things.

3. The person who recommended I read these is no longer in my life*.

4. After reading 7.5 out of 13 books, I still know next to nothing about the overarching mystery.

5. Too much teasing. Snicket has to realise that if you keep dangling the answer in front of the reader's face and snatchi
Lauren
I liked it but I feel like the main reason I'm reading this is to catch up with my reading challenge. I also want to find out about V.F.D and all the other mysteries.
~Bellegirl91~
“We are Volunteers Fighting Disease
And we’re cheerful all day long.
If someone said we were sad,
That person would be wrong.

We visit people who are ill,
And try to make them smile,
Even if their noses bleed
Or if they cough up bile

{Chorus}
Tra la la, Fiddle Dee dee,
Hope you get well soon
Ho ho ho, hee hee hee
Have a heart shaped balloon

We visit people who are ill,
And try and make them laugh,
Even when the doctor says he
Must saw them in half.

We sing and sing all night and day,
And then we sing some mor
Kate (GirlReading)
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75* Once again, this was a fun addition to the series, although I did feel it felt a little like a 'filler' book! Not the most memorable of the series so far but it still had me turning the pages, feeling intrigued as to what is going on! I would just like a little more development as there's a lot of teasing going on, which has been intrigued but I'd be glad for some kind of revelation at some point soon... :')
Richard Denney
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!

This was full of action! I felt like there wasn't a moment to breathe and I loved that about it. It was fast paced and fun and mysterious and that ending? These kids are brave as hell.

Why did Esme wink at them?
Who survived the fire?
What does Olaf really have to do with any of this?

I'm excited for The Carnivorous Carnival!

Now on to book 9!! :D

- Richard or Drahcir or Ardichar
Chloe
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
• Another with great development of plot and character.
• His ideas are so inventive and his stories so clever and entertaining.
• Violet especially was one of my childhood heroines.
• He deals with quite complex themes in children's books which are truly like no others. These books and Harry Potter were my childhood and I just love them so much.
k.wing
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: imaginaries
The Baudelaire's start taking matters into their own hands...

I enjoyed the climax scene in this book because it is the biggest close-call yet! Klaus is amazing, and is amazing in the climax scene.

Favorite quote from this book:
"There are many things in this world I do not know. I do not know how butterflies get out of their cocoons without damaging their wings. I do not know why anyone would boil vegetables when roasting them is tastier. I do not know how to make olive oil, and I do not know why
Ashley Daviau
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I pick up one of these books, they never fail to make me laugh. They're just so hilariously unbelievable and I love every minute of it! I think this is one of the ones where it strikes me the most though. It's really crazy the things that these poor orphans go through and really unbelievable that they've actually made it this far! I really love this book in particular because it shows that even good people do not so good things sometimes to escape bad situations and that's just part o ...more
Carlos.
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Para Beatrice: el verano sin ti es frío como el invierno, el invierno sin ti es aún más frío.

Este me ha gustado muchísimo, de verdad. La saga sólo va a mejor. Y como no se descubra pronto lo que significa VFD me va a dar una crisis nerviosa. Digo.
Rebecca
I re-read the first six books last year. I thought I was up to to this one so I'll have to go back and read book 7 again next, but I loved this. It was always one of my favourites in the series!
Katie
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay I changed my mind, THAT one was my favorite so far. I really REALLY like that Sunny is beginning to use more words. The mystery of VFD and Beatrice is still killing me. On to the 9th!! :)
Swankivy
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favoritebooks
John Velo
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listenedto
I am struggling to continue with this series. Literally, what's making me continue is because I want to know what happens before the TV series comes out but it's really getting irritating to read similar events happen in every single book.

This is the 8th installment of the series and there's still a lot of unanswered mysteries.

But, one thing that sets this one apart from the others is when Claus and Sunny save Violet from Olaf and his associates. For a repetitive book, that was a scene that's
Sara Williams
Book #1 of a 24h marathon on the 26th of April 2015

Very Lemony Snicket-y as usual.
There's not much to say about these series for now...
I am expecting something huge to come out of the last few books, and my hunger for the truth about Beatrice and the Snicket family and the fire is increasing every volume I read.
I look forward to picking up the rest of the series.
Aimee Meester
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to Suffer
aaaaand this is where everything really starts to go downhill. I don't think I recognized just how creepy/horrifying this was when I was younger, but now, it has an added dose of anxiety and horror to make the experience even better. But the best part of this by far is the moral strength, the love and loyalty, the cleverness and heart that's in it. (Don't even talk to me about the conspiracies it's bringing up and the plot secrets I need to unravel.)

Basically this is my favorite series of all ti
Timothy
Reread.
Elaina
~~3.5 stars~~
Chelsea (Octavia)
Mini Review: Pretty solid addition to the series. I liked that the formula was a little different than usual, with the kids on the run with people chasing them in the hospital rather than being sent to a new guardian. Not my favorite, but pretty good.
Jbb Lim
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Sadly to say, this is one book in the series that I did not like. Well not all, but most of it. However, there are new clues and new highlights in the series that might explain what V.F.D is and there are documents in "The Library of Records" which has evidence about the fire with Baudelaire's parents and someone else. Their house were caught fire but there were 3 person in the house and one has escape death. Who is it?

Violet was captured and left Klaus and Sunny to save the day. I would just li
Nadine
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"But sometimes it takes only a photograph and a sentence to make an author cry himself to sleep even years after the photograph was taken."

And so begins the first book in The Series of Unfortunate Events that the Baudelaire children are not placed with a guardian, but are on their own. They find themselves at Heimlich Hospital where they discover a very important piece of information. Game changing information.

Overall, The Hostile Hospital is a fantastic installment in this series. It will keep
Mel
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So umm I did not like this one as much as I thought I did... #6 is still my favourite one so far. I am glad to be rereading this.. Because of my work schedule I should be able to finish the entire series by Jan 1st. I actually will likely read 3 of them this week. Can't wait to FINALLY read the last book.
Tori
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-kids
Note to self: stop reading other people's reviews of this series. I'm thankful that I can approach these with the same childlike wonder and enthusiasm that I did when I first read them almost 15 years ago, and that these books meet me halfway and bring the magic every time.
Nicanor
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It feels like a whole new series now that there is more continuity, actual plot points, mysteries and (even if it is a tiny bit) characterization from others besides the kids. Completely rekindled my attraction for this series
Nicole
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This one was really good because I think that there was a lot of drama and tension, so I couldn't put down the book at points!
Ullie Kathlyn
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2017
Finalmente essa história começou a andar!
description
sofia
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"i'm confused, there are too many people pretending to be other people." a summary
Asha
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things have certainly gotten more intense and daring. The most comic bit for me was the sentence Snicket wrote that has more sarcasm, derision, and scorn for fairy tales than I knew existed: "Like all fairy tales, the story of Sleeping Beauty begins with 'Once upon a time,' and continues with a foolish young princess who makes a witch very angry, and then takes a nap until her boyfriend wakes her up with a kiss and insists on getting married, at which point the story ends with the phrase 'happil ...more
Natt BookEuphoria
I quite enjoyed this book and the whole Library of Files idea. It was still a weird book and I highly aplaud Lemony Snickets imagination due to the events in this book. I really thought that Violet was not going to make it.
5/5 stars
Kimberley doruyter
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
getting a little irratated
Was Lemony in the hospital? 3 16 Aug 09, 2017 01:15PM
Top Hospitals In US 1 5 May 24, 2017 05:28AM
The Nooks of Books: The Hostile Hospital 1 4 Jan 28, 2015 03:57AM
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • Lemony Snicket
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)
  • Genies Don't Ride Bicycles (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #8)
  • The More, The Merrier (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #8)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fir Tree
  • Half-Moon Investigations
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“The sad truth is the truth is sad.” 2167 likes
“Just about everything in this world is easier said than done, with the exception of "systematically assisting Sisyphus's stealthy, cyst-susceptible sister," which is easier done than said.” 339 likes