Start by marking “The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

The Grim Grotto

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #11)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  93,931 ratings  ·  2,237 reviews
Dear Reader,

Unless you are a slug, a sea anemone, or mildew, you probably prefer not to be damp. You might also prefer not to read this book, in which the Baudelaire siblings encounter an unpleasant amount of dampness as they descend into the depths of despair, underwater.

In fact, the horrors they encounter are too numerous to list, and you wouldn't want me even to menti
Published September 21st 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Grim Grotto, please sign up.
Çağdaş I would have asked your address, bought a copy and shipped it to you "4" free but Aunt Josephine would not like it.
Taj If u are reading to people try to add enthusiasm as to boring old word by word technique.were as if u are reading to urself u are free to choose how t…moreIf u are reading to people try to add enthusiasm as to boring old word by word technique.were as if u are reading to urself u are free to choose how to read it
(less)

·  93,931 ratings  ·  2,237 reviews

Start your review of The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
emma
It’s time to resign myself to the fact that I will never love anything like I love this series.

These books made me INTO WHO I AM. (Which explains why I am such a negative and unpleasant person.)

Other series may contain things I love, but those series will never be why I love those things.

A Series of Unfortunate Events can be thanked for my love of: secrecy, darkness, snarky humor, silliness, puns, literary humor, orphans, illustrations, crime, libraries, mnemonic devices, chewing gum, mystery, s
Deborah Markus
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
I’m listening to this as read by Tim Curry, which is all things awesome. However: if you’re doing the same, you might want to grab a physical copy long enough to look at the last several pages. Snicket includes six “To My Kind Editor” letters, and Curry doesn’t read them. Which is not his fault, because nothing is his fault, because Tim Curry is a rock god and if you don’t understand that you need to leave my house right now.

The reason Curry doesn’t read these letters is because he can’t. No, he
Mischenko
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The Grim Grotto picks up right after the previous installment as the Baudelaires have now been separated from Quigley Quagmire. They discover a submarine called the "Queequeg" which is controlled by a man named Captain Widdershins...

“Let’s see! I’ll put you to work right away! Aye! No—first I’ll give you a tour! No—I’ll introduce you to my crew! No—I’ll let you rest! No—I’d better get you into uniforms! Aye! It’s important that everyone aboard wear a waterproof uniform in case the submarine coll
Mark Lawrence
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I continue my relentless 3*ing of the series, though this volume was significantly better than the previous one (The Slippery Slope).

Much of the action takes place on submarines. These submarines appear to contain cavernous, often rectangular rooms, although the first of them is encountered in a mountain stream... Later a submarine's window (yup, window) is repaired with chewing gum.

My science is further hurt by the claim that sonar of the type that puts a tracking dot on the screen works by lis
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11), Lemony Snicket
The Grim Grotto is the eleventh novel in the children's novel series A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
The Baudelaires manage to drift along the river after being separated from Quigley Quagmire. They stumble along the submarine "Queequeg" in which they are welcomed by an energetic Captain Widdershins, whose motto is to never hesitate on anything, and his stepdaughter Fiona, an aspiring mycologist. They are also
Lauren
UPDATE: 19/Jan/2017
I am getting sick of updating my reviews for all these books but for the last time I liked this book more that I did when I first read it.

1/Jan/2017
As my first book of 2017, I can't say I'm disappointed as I wasn't expecting much. I am so ready for this series to end because it has been going on for too long. I wasn't that interested in this book because I've lost a lot of my interest in this series. Also last year I only read these books to catch up on my reading challenge.
Leah Craig
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
"People aren't either wicked or noble," the hook-handed man said. "They're like chef's salads, with good things and bad things chopped and mixed together in a vinaigrette of confusion and conflict."
Richard Cardenas
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Listened to this one on audio read by the amazing Tim Curry in a few hours and it made it a whole lot better. I feel like this was a bit of a filler book but I still enjoyed it. I don’t like Fiona (the tiny bit of romance in here was completely unnecessary and icky to me lol I'm not one for romance in MG.). That twist with the hook-handed man was pretty cool and Count Olaf was just as fucked up as he always is. I think I might check out more audio books in the future. I thought they weren’t for ...more
Swaye
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, 2017
I feel like this book was mostly filler. Far too many "Aye!"s and way too much annoying villainous laughter. Great ending though.

Only two books to go. Don't you hurt my Baudelaires, Mr Snicket!
Elaina
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
These books are definitely starting to get more and more interesting :) I loved that we got some new characters in this one! Some of them got on my nerves a little bit--like Captain Widdershins--the way he talked just aggravated me after a little while :/ (Others who have read this probably know what I'm talking about XD lol) But other than that, I liked this one a lot! :) The way this book ended made me really want to pick up book #12 soon! Hoping my library will have it in stock :D Kind of sad ...more
Ashley Daviau
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely where the story starts to get really interesting. We're introduced to so many new characters and so many new mysteries and secrets are revealed! I think it's one of my favourite settings in the series as well, something about the submarines just really tickled my fancy! This is also one of the books in the series that I've read the fewest times so the details were extremely fuzzy and it was almost like reading it for the first time again. I really love this series to pieces an ...more
Bea
2.5 stars, didn’t love this one but still enjoyable.
Kate (GirlReading)
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
3.75* ooh, that ending! I feel as though (or am at least hoping) we're going to be getting some answers soon...
Emily B
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is probably my favourite book is the series.
I found it the most memorable and Captain Widdershins was very entertaining
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Best.beginning

"A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called 'The Road Less Traveled' describing a journey he took along a path most travelers never used....and he was probably a bit nervous as he went along, because if anything happened on the road less traveled, the other travelers...couldn't hear him as he cried for help. Sure enough, that poet is now dead."
Tilly
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had everything I missed in a few of the previous books and reminded to the fact how awesome this series can be. The plot was exciting, it has interesting new characters and I really loved this whole underwater scenario. The backstory of Fiona and her stepfather was very well fitting to the rest of unfortunate events through the whole series and I really enjoyed their description of their life in a submarine. I was also happy to meet Phil again, the optimist from "The Miserable Mill", ( ...more
melanie
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

“Rest here,” Sunny said, curling up at the foot of the stove.

“Will you really be comfortable on the kitchen floor?” Klaus asked.

Sunny opened one exhausted eye and smiled at her siblings. “Near you,” she said.

description
Constadina
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
What can I say about these books?? For me they're so much more than children's books. Sure a child will probably enjoy them but I think you have to be older to fully appreciate the cleverness of these books and the genius that Lemony Snicket is. I think he's one of my favorite authors because he's clever, he's intriguing and mainly because he's sarcastic. One of my favorite parts of his books are the little poems he writes for Beatrice and of course his failed attempt to make us not read his boo ...more
Jamieson
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In the eleventh book in “A Series of Unfortunate Events”, we find the three young Baudelaire siblings in a grim bit of trouble, escaping from the nefarious Count Olaf by riding a toboggan down the Stricken Stream, hoping to find a sugar bowl before he does.

The Baudelaire siblings don’t know what is so important about the sugar bowl, only that it may mean the end of their troubles.Unsure how to get out of the Stricken Stream without drowning, the three siblings contemplate their fate. Violet, the
Nadine
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"How can someone so wonderful do something so terrible?"

That ending!!!! What?! I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book. Only two left and I think we're finally going to get some answers.
The Grim Grotto is action packed. The Baudelaire's find themselves on a submarine then in a grotto with poisonous mushrooms only to be left wondering what to do next and who to trust.

Full series review: https://todaysechos.wordpress.com/201...
Mel
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. I think I am tied for this one and book 6 for my favourite!
I just can't wait to be done this series.. my goal is to finish it before the clock strikes 12 on Thursday.
Conrad
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am loving this series. I really want to find out more about Beatrice and the backstory of everything.
Erin
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
As per usual, we pick up quickly with Violet, Klaus, and Sunny( who is really becoming quite articulate) are now reunited and face one of their toughest adventures ever. Now, they are underwater and are becoming ever closer to Count Olaf's main objectives. But Olaf has quite a few tricks up his sleeves and when Sunny falls ill, will Violet and Klaus be able to save her before its too late?

I love this series, but I guess I find my reasons are repetitive because I have stated in all my previous
Beth Hudspeth
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2017-reads
The Grotto was mostly Grim.
falling asleep reading
2.5 stars. Grim indeed. Make no mistake this is a filler book! I’ll be forever annoyed by how much potential it had. What a waste. Here we have the coolest setting yet, they’re UNDER WATER. IN A SUBMARINE. And what does Lemony Snicket decide to do? Bore us to death and not just by explaining the water cycle 52 times.

Here’s a list of the few good things that happened in this book:
-the grotto itself
-violet’s 15th birthday
-quigley’s telegram and poem decoding
-the carmelita/count olaf/esme squalor
Chelsea
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Mini Review: Not my favorite, because I do think this one dragged a bit at times, but I think it was better than a lot of the earlier ones. So close to finishing the series, excited to see how the last two play out!
Marianne
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Grim Grotto is the eleventh book in A Series of Unfortunate Events by American author, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler). As we once again join the unlucky Baudelaire orphans, they find themselves sailing down the Stricken Stream on a toboggan towards the ocean. Is it coincidence that they are rescued by a submarine whose crew (Captain Widdershins and Fiona) are on a mission to find a certain important sugar bowl, one the Baudelaire orphans also seek?

Having narrowly escaped a burning hospi
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Camilla
3.5 stars! // I enjoy this series so much that I wish I'd read it as a child. That would have been so much fun. I still really enjoy them now as an adult - and one of the things I love the most about it is the authors writing and humor. So incredibly good.

I am getting really close to the end of the series now, and even though I don't want it to end, I really feel like it's time to get some more answers - and I'm really looking forward to that!
Abby
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're so close to the end of the series, so it makes sense that all the pieces are falling together. The Grim Grotto leaves the reader on the edge of their seats wondering if the Baudelaires will find the sugar bowl or if Sunny will survive being poisoned by a deadly mushroom. Just two more books, which I do not remember, so it'll all be new and exciting to me.
Around the Year i...: The Grim Grotto, by Lemony Snicket 1 14 Jan 16, 2017 02:48AM
The Nooks of Books: The Grim Grotto 1 3 Jan 28, 2015 03:53AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 4 Nov 08, 2014 09:17AM
best book in series 34 126 Jul 23, 2014 01:13AM
The Grim Grotto 4 28 Apr 07, 2014 12:13PM
quotablebookquotes: The Grim Grotto: An Overview 2 3 Jan 13, 2014 11:05PM

• A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: The Interactive Quiz Book (The Harry Potter Series:)
  • Trash Bird
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • Le Paradis des cailloux ( Samedi et Dimanche, #1)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Year Shakespeare Ruined My Life
  • Things That Grow
  • La Lumière mystérieuse (Peggy Sue et les Fantômes, #9)
  • La Jungle Rouge (Peggy Sue et les Fantômes, #8)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • La bête des souterrains (Peggy Sue et les fantômes, #6)
  • La révolte des dragons (Peggy Sue et les fantômes, #7)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)