Start by marking “Mrs Armitage Queen Of The Road” as Want to Read:
Mrs Armitage Queen Of The Road

Mrs Armitage Queen Of The Road (Mrs. Armitage)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
When Uncle Cosmo buys himself a motorbike and gives Mrs Armitage his boring old car, it soon becomes obvious that her driving skills leave a lot to be desired. Mrs Armitage and Breakspear cause havoc bumping into bollards, bedsteads, lorries, a crane and bedoinging over some extremely uneven roads. As the bumper, the doors, the mudguard and even the roof disappear along th ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Red Fox (first published April 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Armitage Queen Of The Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs Armitage Queen Of The Road

Jack Kirby and the X-man
I'm very familiar with Quentin Blake's illustrations of Roald Dahl, but I'm embarrased to say I wasn't aware of his other works.

A quick check of his website reveals that he has been involved in more than 300 books - only 27 of which were written by Roald Dahl and a full 35 which were written and illustrated by Quentin.

My most endearing memory of Quentin's illustrations were his illustrations in The Witches. Quentin's signature style of illustrations in this book made me expect Mrs Armitage to at
Erin
Mrs. Armitage meets life with a carefree attitude, and in this particular story, her car takes the brunt of the consequences. Blake’s illustrations match the story’s freewheeling heroine, and work well with the crash, bang, boom noises that accompany each accident. Every time the car gets a little worse for the wear, Mrs. Armitage shrugs it off, casually dismisses the incident, and (with her faithful hound) continues on her road trip adventure.

Quentin Blake’s lines are what used to give me hope
Amy
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quentin Blake’s short story Mrs Armitage Queen of the Road is full of fun and adventure. It depicts the tale of Mrs Armitage and her dog Breakspear. Mrs Armitage is given a car by her Uncle Cosmo. Mrs Armitage is a rather clumsy driver and keeps bashing and banging her car, as a result components of the car keep falling off, leaving her with a modified car that resembles something between a go-cart and motorbike. Whilst out driving Mrs Armitage comes across Uncle Cosmo and his motorbike friends, ...more
Vera Godley
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky! Absolutely bizarre and quirky. Quentin Blake has taken his ink pen and water colors and given us in image and text a cute, quirky little lady who is gifted a car. Well, more a rattletrap vehicle of the 4-wheel version. Once given to her, Mrs. Armitage and devoted dog, Breakspear, hop on board and roll down the road.

Each "bump in the road" shakes off a piece of the car as she rolls along. What does she do? Despair? No. She simply throws the troublesome piece away and keeps rolling along.
Elaine
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs Armitage Queen of the road
By Quentin Blake

An amusing book, with as one would expect from Quentin Blake, quirky drawings. Mrs Armatage wakes up one morning to find a letter from her uncle Cosmo. She reads the letter to her faithful dog Breakspear over breakfast.

The letter reveals that Uncle Cosmo has given her a car as a present and it is parked outside her house in the street. The pair go to investigate, but Mrs Armitage is not impressed by the old car, but they decide to take it for a driv
Dolly
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the second book we've read recently that features Mrs. Armitage and her little dog, Breakspear. These tales are fun, adventurous, a bit odd and quite silly.

I love that it depicts an older woman as vital, active and free-spirited. And I love the quirky nature of the tale, ending with Mrs. Armitage hanging out with a biker gang. It's certainly no less than I would expect from Quentin Blake, whose unique illustrations are well known from his collaborations with Roald Dahl.

This book was sel
Lis K
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Armitage is one no-nonsense lady. She's up for trying new things. When her Uncle Cosmo gives her his car, she and her dog, Breakspear, take it for a spin. Things start falling off the car while they're driving---sometimes due to accidents, sometimes due to her driving---until the car is just a shell of a machine. Then Mrs. Armitage runs into Uncle Cosmo and his motorcycle club and they think her "lean machine" is the best ever. As an adult, I thought the storyline was fine until the motorcy ...more
Sandra
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a funny children’s story about Mrs Armitage and her strange car. Uncle Cosmo has left her his old car as a present; she doesn’t really like the look at first but decides to take it for a spin. Surprisingly, as Mrs Armitage makes her journey, the car falls apart piece by piece, until the only thing left is the frame with the seats and the pedals. She bumps into her uncle and his motorbike crew, who fall in love with her new ride and make her feel as though she is queen of the road.
I wou
Tricia Douglas
I had forgotten how wonderful books by Quentin Blake can be. Of course, his illustrations are always great with his unique style of line-drawings. This book also has a very cute story. Mrs. Armitage inherits her uncle's old car. Being the terrible driver that she is, as she drives over bumps and runs into posts, parts of the car fall off and are discarded by Anastasia. She eventually runs into her Uncle with his new motorcycle. As he and his motorcycle buddies observe the "new" car, without most ...more
Stephanie Mixon
This story is a great story about a free-spirited woman who doesn’t let a few “bumps in the road” get her down. Mrs. Armitage is given a new car by her Uncle Cosmo but has never driven before. This is a cute adventure as she goes through mishap over mishap all with a smile on her face.

This story would be great for grades K-3 because it is a very cute story using sound words that may the mishaps of Mrs. Armitage’ car come to life. This story could teach the different parts of a car, the importan
CalamityMane
Bumps in the road? No problem. With her car as the metaphor, Mrs. Armitage shows us that being easygoing has its advantages.

Ignore the fact that all the snazzy cars are driven by men and that a group of men looks on indulgently at Mrs. Armitage's mishaps (that's the grownup and the feminist in me) and remember that it was a man (Uncle Cosmo) who gifted her the car in the first place and that that same man makes her and her little dog, Breakspear, feel included (along with some wonderful gift-giv
Rachel
I love Quentin Blake's illustrations for Roald Dahl and Michael Rosen, but I had no idea he was an author in his own right. So when I saw this book in the children's section, I knew I had to read it. The book is about Mrs. Armitage and her dog Breakspear who inherits a car from her uncle and proceeds to drive it around time. It falls completely apart until she is left with just the frame, tire, seats and engine. Then she runs into her uncle and his motorcycle gang who spruce it and her up and th ...more
Sarah Adamson
What a great book - unless you're trying to put someone off motorcycling or having a car accident - why do kids keep wanting their cars to hit other cars anyway? Great illustrations, a wonderful tale of Mrs Armitage who receives a car from her Uncle. She and her dog take it for a drive and along the way, various parts of the car fall off after encounters with bumpy roads or other vehicles or obstacles! Fun ending where she ends up with a motorcycle gang having lemonade.. It is a very fun but sli ...more
Jenny
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids and I ended up loving this humorous story about Mrs. Armitage. Her Uncle Cosmo gives her a car...and she takes it for a drive. She is not a good driver, and keeps having small collisions. She loses her hubcaps and bumpers and the hood. Each time, she takes that part of the car off, says, "Who Needs It?" And drives on. Funny story, funny illustrations. My kids want to read the others about her.
Kathryn
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed seeing how Mrs Armitage became "Queen of the Road" ;-) A silly, fun tale that nevertheless teaches/shows various parts to a car, some of the dangers of driving (but also some of the fun and adventure) and also how sometimes "less is more". The illustrations are quirky and fun--classic Blake. This was my first encounter with Mrs Armitage but I see she's a busy lady with several other adventures to share.
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Mrs. Armitage inherits a car and sets off for a drive. Too bad she's a terrible, accident-prone driver, though! As she putts along with her dog, various parts of the car come off and get left behind. Left with a shell of a vehicle at the end, she somehow finds that it all works out. Blake's quirky drawings and the delight on Mrs. Armitage's face are fun.
Rachel
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up on a whim at the library today because I knew the illustrator did a lot of Roald Dahl's stories as well.

My 4 and 6 year old thought this book was hilarious. Not too short, not too long and just enough silliness :) Hoping to find more in this series.
Londa
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recognized Blake's style immediately from the Dahl books. Very quirky illustrations that we both loved. The 8 yr old really enjoyed this one. He said he wished he knew Mrs. Armitage because she knows how to have fun! Will look for other Armitage adventures.
Claire
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simona and I love this book, which is written by the same guy who illustrated all the Roald Dahl books. It's as charmingly kooky as you would expect from him (she has a dog named Breakspear!), and I like it that it's a transportation-related book that features a woman.
Carmine
Love the Mrs. Armitage books by Quentin Blake. In this installment, Mrs. Armitage is given a car by a relative. The car progressively falls apart and gets wrecked piece by piece until what is left isn't much more than a motorcycle and then Mrs. Armitage joins a biker gang.

Kate B
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A twist on the tale you'd expect from the bicycle and surfboard shenanigans; also features a café with a great name.
Tanya
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Enjoyed by all.
Beverly
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Funny, with quirky cartoon illustrations.
Jun 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I take objection to the premise of the book and don't care for the laissez-faire attitude of Mrs. Armitage.
Philip
Quirky and funny, if a bit bizarre.
Pat
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this delightful children's book that can be enjoyed by all ages - even by 70+ kids at heart! Thank you, once again, Tricia for an excellent recommendation! Happy New Year from Ohio!
Nancy
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Have read a hundred times or so with my son, beginning at age 4, I guess. Wonderful story and of course lots of very funny (and pointy, the Blake earmark) illustrations.
Quince Winstyn
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my childhood favorites!
Hailey
  • The Foggy, Foggy Forest
  • Museum ABC
  • The Racecar Alphabet
  • Whose Nose and Toes?
  • Thomas the Tank Engine Story Collection (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Boy, the Bear, the Baron, the Bard
  • Eliot Jones, Midnight Superhero
  • Cars: Rushing! Honking! Zooming!
Quentin Saxby Blake, CBE, FCSD, RDI, is an English cartoonist, illustrator and children's author, well known for his collaborations with writer Roald Dahl.

Education
Blake was educated at Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His English teacher, JH Walsh, influenced his ambition to become involved in literature. His first published drawing was for the satirical magazine Punch, at the age of 16. He
More about Quentin Blake...

Mrs. Armitage (3 books)