Start by marking “Presumed Guilty” as Want to Read:
Presumed Guilty

Presumed Guilty

Miranda Wood has been having an affair with her boss. She's determined to break it off with him - but he's equally determined to keep her. When he calls her and tells her that he's coming over, Miranda flees her house, desperate not to see him. She comes back to a dark, cold cottage - and a dead man lying in her bedroom.
Published March 1st 2009 by Not Avail (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Presumed Guilty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presumed Guilty

Siobhan
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tess Gerritsen writes consistently good books. However, for me, the kind of good they are varies depending upon the era they come from. Presumed Guilty falls into her romantic thriller category, which is my least favourite category for her work. Don’t get me wrong, the books that fall into this category are still great, but there is far too much of a romantic focus (as the category title would suggest).

If you’re a fan of all of Geritsen’s work – by that I mean you have read her early nineties st
Brenda
Miranda Wood was finally content, after a terrible couple of weeks, where she quit her job and broke up with her married lover. She had decided to leave the island, start afresh with a new job and new home. Until the night Richard telephoned her, wanting to see her, not believing she would actually leave him. He was coming to her home, and she didn’t want to see him. So she went for a long walk, sat by the water for an hour or so then slowly made her way home. When she saw Richard’s car was stil ...more
Lauren
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was possibly one of the worst books I have ever read. Ok, maybe not the worst, but the worst one that I have actually finished. Normally I give up. Life is too short:) But this was a short one and an easy read, and I had to know "who done it."

The weird thing is I read 3 or so other books by this author and enjoyed them. I think this was one of her first books. It is basically a really mediocre murder mystery combined with a romance novel.

Case in point - "She tasted of summer and warmth and
Nan Williams
Gosh, it was a Harlequin Romance. It read like one, but like a really well written one. Tess Gerritsen always delivers - even in her very early books. This one was a fast and enjoyable read - much better than most of the high priced suspense novels of today. The plot started with a bang and moved right along. Sure, there were some holes, but some pretty decent twists and turns, as well. It would be a good book for the beach - a quick afternoon read.

The fact that nobody locked their doors when th
Vicki Willis
This was early Tess Gerritsen before she got into her thrillers. This was a romance mystery. It was ok, but not great for me. Short and easy to read, but the characters were mostly forgettable. The plot was mostly predictable. A happily ever after ending, just like you would expect.
Sam
This is a good mystery thriller that combines all the traditional elements of a small town murder wrapped up in affairs, gossip and secrets with Gerritsen's superb writing talent. Granted there is nothing new or amazingly shocking in the story but sometimes you just need a good bit of crime fluff to break up all the heavy reading I'm sure you do. And this is one of those books. An all round good read.
Paige  Bookdragon

"Happy endings are not automatic. Someone has to work for them."

I usually don't like infidelity (don't care if you're the other woman/man or the cheater because you all look the same to me) but this story is different.

When Miranda's ex-lover was found in her bedroom,with her knife sticking out in his chest,she knows she's fucked. It doesn't matter that she knows she's innocent

description

because everyone in town hates the "other woman."

I thought that I wouldn't like Miranda's character because duh. My cl
Maryann Bosah
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tess Gerristen has the ability to weave a tale that is captivatingly good
Lesa Divine
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2018, i-own
4 🌟

Miranda is accused of killing her married lover. The evidence is clear that she did it but she's determined to prove she didn't do it. As her ex lover's brother witness someone trying to kill her he then think twice about her being innocent.

With the help of the long lost brother Chase. Miranda and him become connected more than they thought they could as they fight for their life while trying to find out who's the real killer and who's trying to kill her.

I enjoy piecing together the clues.
Marla
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Tess does a fantastic job of weaving a story that keeps you guessing who did it. I never know who it is until she reveals the person at the end and it's never the person I would have imagined. This is another fantastic murder mystery. It was good as an audiobook.
Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-suspense
This is one of Gerritsen's older books- i.e. Pre-Rizzoli and Isles. And there really isn't anything terribly wrong with that. The characters are not terribly fleshed out. But the plot moves quickly in somewhat unexpected ways that still feel somewhat realistic.

However, I have one major bone to pick with Ms. Gerritsen. Our plucky heroine, Miranda, is falsely accused of killing the man she used to be having an affair with. I cannot tell you how many times Miranda herself and other characters refer
Sheila
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read. I couldn't put it down. I love Tess Gerriston's books.
Linda
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Tess Gerritsen's earlier book that is a romantic mystery rather than being the more hard-boiled mysteries that she wrote later. It's a good solid book, even though I like her good old murder mysteries best.

Miranda has broken up with her lover, Richard, but no one has ever done that and he refuses to allow it. Then he is found naked, stabbed in her bed. She is arrested for murder and no one believes in her innocence. She is surprised when an anonymous person raises her bail. She st
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned..

That's all this book is about. Love.. deception.. and revenge.. the usual trinity when it comes to romantic thrillers. The book tried to keep surprise till the end, by making the name of the perpetrator a suspense. But in a very small island like that it's an almost impossible thing to do. You find yourself following the usual train of detection and end up guessing the killer. An entertaining read for a few hours, that's all this is.
Plum-crazy
Don't assume that 'cos you love the Rizzoli & Isles series that this'll be up your street, as this falls firmly in the romantic suspense category, (reminiscent to me of Sandra Brown's earlier & shorter novels), but if you're looking for a quick & easy read that'll keep you reasonably amused for an hour or three it does the job :o)

Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Tess Gerritsen most definitely redeemed herself. After the last disappointing read I was thinking about taking a break from her books but thought one more chance with this one and I'm glad I did. A gripping storyline, kept me guessing throughout and never expected the truth. Page Turner with excellent characters. Well done Tess... Into her next book now =)
Emily Blasdel
Not the usual Tess Gerritsen

This was quite a different storyline than I expected. The book was okay, but I’m not impressed with the romance genre. It was unexpected.
Anita
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mistakenly took it on holiday only to discover that I had read it before, but must say I really enjoyed reading it again.
Leanna Aker
This watch much more a romance than a murder mystery, but it was entertaining, nonetheless. :-)
Monnie
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Presumed Guilty isn't a new book; in fact, it was written about 15 years ago, reprinted and re-released in May 2012 for sale at Amazon.com. Most of the reader reviews there were positively awful, though it should be noted that some were simply ticked off that they'd paid good money for a reprint of an old book. Still, after seeing those reviews, I almost didn't start reading it even though Gerritsen is one of my favorite authors.

Now that I've read it, I agree it's far from her best. In a nutshel
Fred
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, re-read
Tess Gerritsen Fans Group Link
-Reread - I had no review from 2011

As in most murder mysteries, once suspects are identified, an amazing twist to the end.

In Shepard Island, Maine - Richard Tremain has a wife, Evelyn, children Phillip & Cassie(19 - twins).
But Richard Tremain will not leave Miranda Wood alone, they work together at the Island Herald News, had a past love affair but she wants him to stop bothering her NOW!

When Miranda returns home one evening, she finds Richard murdered in her h
Sophie (Blogger)
I am a massive fan of Tess's Rizzoli & Isles series, so I was thrilled to read another book by her. Miranda Wood is just like any other person who falls in love, although not all romance stories end with a happy ending. Arriving home, Miranda walks into her worst nightmare, the married man who she had been having an affair with is now dead in her bed. Not only that but she is now the prime suspect in his murder.
When she gets bail, Miranda is thrown in a dangerous world, not knowing who to t
Heather
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Title: Presumed Guilty

Author: Tess Gerritsen

Synopsis (from bn.com):

Miranda Wood thinks she has seen the last of Richard Tremain, her rich and married ex-lover—until she discovers him stabbed to death in her bed. With her knife.

Miranda is the obvious suspect, and she looks even guiltier when her bail is posted by an anonymous donor. Was this an act of kindness designed to buy her time to clear her name? Or is someone trying to manipulate Miranda and draw her into the dark and secret world of a mu
Kelly
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
When Miranda comes home to find her ex-lover dead in her bed, stabbed with her knife, she knows there's no way anyone will believe it wasn't her. But when someone posts her bail and all sorts of things start to happen, she realises she has to find out who the killer really is, no matter what the cost will be...

As I've said many times before, Tess Gerritsen's romantic thrillers aren't as good as her medical thrillers, but they are still very good. This particular story was my favourite of her rom
Joannine
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Park
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb on the back of the book made me think it was a thriller or a murder mystery (which it was thinly disguised as). In reality, however, it was a Mills and Boon style romance where the woman tried to resist the dark-eyed handsome stranger but ended up submissively whimpering in his masterful arms and "melting into warm liquid". Reading this unbearable cack made me want to scratch my eyes out.
Helena
May 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Im a big time Rizzoli & Isles fan. Read all 10 books in a month. But this is tooooo harlequin romance for me. I lost interest after half the book. This is her earlier stuff, so im not gonna be too harsh since shes obviously getting better. But this book bored me. Im really sorry to say. Hate to give it just one star but i cant stretch to 2. Sorry miss Gerritsen.
Elizabeth Ann Cyrus
This was a nice easy read with an interesting storyline. This is my first book by Tess Gerritsen, however, it will not be my last.
Helen
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read. Some of it was a little predictable but still worth a read
Millisent
Too much romance for my taste. Tess is an amazing writer and I always enjoy her mysteries/crime/who dun it story lines
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Tess Gerritsen Fans: Presumed Guilty (Group Read - Nov/Dec 2012) 17 29 May 05, 2013 11:13AM

• The Dragon and the Stars
  • Family Passions
  • Protecting Her Own (Guardians, Inc., #2)
  • Keeping Christmas
  • Winter's Edge
  • Mörder ohne Gnade
  • Detour
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Ransom River
  • Cry of the Wild
  • Too Familiar (Fear Familiar #2)
  • The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)
  • Operation: Midnight Tango (Operation: Midnight, #1)
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • Nine-Month Protector (The Precinct: Vice Squad #2; The Precinct #6)
  • Das Wesen
  • Inferno
  • Sight Unseen
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
“Acım tıpkı organlarımı kemiren bir yaratık gibi hala canlı.Ölmeyecek.Ölmeyi reddediyor.Onu oraya sen koydun, sen ektin, embriyoya onca yılın besinini verdin.Ve sonra yürüyüp gittin.

Bana iyilik yaptığını söyledin.Şimdi ayrılmak daha iyi, eğer bu iş uzarsa sadece daha fazla acı verecek, dedin.

Acı çekmenin ne olduğunu bilmiyorsun…”
1 likes
“Seni ne için affedeceğim? Bana masumiyetin gerçek anlamını gösterdiğin için mi? İnanmaya programlandığım her kibirli nosyonu sorgulamama sebep olduğun için mi? Salak olduğumu fark etmemi sağladığın için mi?

Sana aşık olmama sebep olduğun için mi?”
1 likes