Start by marking “The London Eye Mystery” as Want to Read:
The London Eye Mystery

The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  9,011 Ratings  ·  1,218 Reviews
A five-star mystery now in paperback!

Ted and Kat watched their cousin Salim board the London Eye, but after half an hour it landed and everyone trooped off—except Salim. Where could he have gone? How on earth could he have disappeared into thin air? Ted and his older sister, Kat, become sleuthing partners, since the police are having no luck. Despite their prickly relation
Published May 26th 2009 by Yearling (first published June 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The London Eye Mystery, please sign up.

Conor Nally For fluent English speakers, twelve plus, but for E.S.L. students... I suppose it depends how good their English is.
Conor Nally I think it's great, but it's all a matter of opinion!

Gwen the Librarian
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, mystery
This is just an indescribably fabulous novel. Ted has a different brain from other people - he says he runs on a different operating system. When a cousin comes to visit and then disappears, it's up to Ted and his sister Kat to solve the mystery since none of the adults will listen to their clues. Using the art of deduction and his unusal way of looking at the world, Ted discovers clues to the whereabouts of his cousin that no one else observed.

What I love about this novel is the very frank way
Veronique
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2017
This title came to my attention through Robin Stevens. I love her series of Murder Most Unladylike and I received a notification that she had written a completely new book, sequel to this one.

The London Eye Mystery was written by the late Siobhan Dowd, author of Bog Child and A Monster Calls (through Ness), and features a 12-year old boy with Asperger's trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of his cousin Alim at the London Eye. Children crime stories have bursted on the scene these l
j
Feb 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to j by: Evil blog
This YA "mystery" is told from the point of view of a kid with Aspergers, which means the writing is really affected. This worked for me in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time because i believed, more or less, in the character. Here, it just seems like a plot device.

After about 50 pages of dull set-up (kid's cousin boards the London Eye, never gets off, where did he go?) I got impatient and skipped to the end, skimming the last 50 or so pages for the resolution of what seemed a po
Waller
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it just me, or does this read like a slightly warmed-over *Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime*. The disappearance of a kid from a closed capsule on the London Eye is an intriguing mystery, but the only possible solutions pretty quickly close down to two, and the solving of the mystery seemed slightly anticlimactic. The novel also violates a principle that would have adult mystery fans howling - the key clue to the mystery is not available to the reader.

Most crucially, though, is th
Ruth
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
What goes up must come down – unless you’re Ted Sparks’ cousin Salim.

Aunt Gloria and her teenage son Salim are preparing to move from Manchester, England to New York City. Before they leave for the United States, Gloria wants to visit her sister and her family in London. Salim has never been to London so his cousins Ted and Katrina are eager to show him the sights.

They decide to visit one of Ted’s favorite places, the London Eye. The London Eye, also called the Millennium Wheel, is the tallest f
Mandy Radley
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just having my lunch yesterday decided to have a rummage in the new book draw at work. When we were processing this book it caught my eye, I love the cover and the synopsis of the book sounded really interesting. Well 50 pages later thought I'd better get some work done. Ted and his sister Kat decide to take their cousin Salim on the London Eye before he flies to New York with his mum. Whilst in the queue a man comes up to them and offers them his ticket, saying he's chickened out at the last mi ...more
Liviu Szoke
Prima lectură pe anul 2017 (am vrut să fie un alt roman de Stephen King, dar Capcana pentru vise pare interminabil) aduce în centrul atenției un băiețel cu un creier formidabil și un mister ce pare imposibil de explicat: dispariția unui băiat dintr-una din capsulele lui London Eye, gigantica roată de pe malul Tamisei. Bine scrisă, cu un ritm alert și cu un personaj foarte simpatic, este o lectură ușoară, dar plină de învățăminte. Recenzia, pe Bookblog: http://www.bookblog.ro/recenzie/extra....
NebraskaIcebergs
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A young boy with Aspergers. A mystery. An English author. These descriptors all might seem as I’m talking about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Instead I’ve just finished reading The London Eye Mystery, a book that Siobhan Dowd delayed publishing due to Haddon’s book bursting on the scene. Her book is as well-written and thought-provoking as the rest of her titles, as well as simply being a fun romp.

Main character, Ted, isn’t your typical kid. I’m not just sayin
John
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a few pages to get into the narrative style of this book, which seemed at first artificially stilted and precise. Then I realized -- duh! -- that this was because our narrator, twelve-year-old Londoner Ted, has Asperger's syndrome. Pretty soon thereafter I got into the swing of Ted's way of telling the story and, though just once in a while I resented the painful literalness of some of his interpretations, in general I reveled in the novel's language.

Ted's cousin Salim has come to sta
Ivonne Rovira
For the benefit of Americans: the London Eye isn’t an eye at all, but a Ferris wheel so enormous that riders can see 25 miles in all directions.

Londoners Ted and Kat Spark take their visiting 13-year-old cousin Salim to ride the London Eye; it is Salim who takes a free ticket to ride the attraction, but he never exits the London Eye when the ride is done!

Twelve-year-old Ted struggles with some of the more common effects of autism: He has an obsession (weather); when upset, he flaps his hands a
Robin Stevens
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A warm-hearted and very clever mystery story like no other, with a charming and strong hero. I loved this!
Wardah
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pinjam, favorites
“Salim tidak ada di sini,” kataku.
Lalu aku bilang, “Salim menghilang.” (h. 50)

Kehidupan keluarga Spark mulai berantakan ketika tante mereka, Gloria, dan anaknya, Salim, datang berkunjung setelah lima tahun tidak bertemu. Ibu dan anak itu berkunjung ke London sebelum pindah dari Manchester ke New York.

Di hari pertama kedatangan mereka, semua masih baik-baik saja. Anak-anak Spark, Ted dan Kat, mulai akrab dengan sepupu mereka yang telah lama tidak berjumpa itu. Sayangnya, pada hari kedua, ketika m
Lari Don
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I’ve seen this book on the bookshop shelves many times, and never bought it because of the overly blatant ‘does exactly what it says on the tin’ title and the somewhat garish cover. But I finally noticed that it was by Siobhan Dowd, and belatedly bought it for my 11 year old, who stayed up very late one night to finish it (it’s the Christmas holidays, so that was fine) because, as she said, it’s about a boy who goes missing, and she REALLY needed find out if he was ok…
So, on her recommendation,
Edie
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a big fan of books that try to get into the minds of people who don't think in the "normal" way (whatever that is) because I feel that the author might not get it right and give a false representation of that unusual way of thinking, or else give others the sense that their depiction is the way it is for everyone who thinks differently in that manner (I don't think I am being very articulate). And this book makes me uncomfortable along those lines. Also, the cataloger places it under th ...more
Al
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this with a zany ten year old from Mars. He bloody loved it, and so did I.
What he loved was that there is an actual story. He also spotted the differences in the kids and was very indignant on their behalf. Particularly for the kid who made me cry. You know the one !
What I loved was the humour, kindness and compassion.
This is a clever and lovely book which demands discussion and chocolate. In our case it lead to a,midnight feast.

A quote from the brilliant ten year old who I am lucky to
Karen
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This truly was an amazing book. The way all of the pieces in the book came together in the end is a sign of an incredible author. I loved the way Salim said "neek" didn't stand for nerd and geek, but was an abbreviation of "unique". That statement is truly true. I wish I had the brains like Ted!... But I'm fine with the one I have right now.
Judith
A reasonably good mystery for younger readers, but I found the characterisation of the Asperger's protagonist/narrator inconsistent and not always believable.
John Frankham
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
A fun read, narrated by a young boy with Asperger's Syndrome. Aimed at youth readers, I think, and hits the mark.

The GR blurb:

'Monday, 24 May, 11.32 a.m. Ted and Kat watch their cousin Salim get on board the London Eye. He turns and waves and the pod rises from the ground.

Monday, 24 May, 12.02 p.m. The pod lands and the doors open. People exit in all shapes and sizes – but where is Salim?

Ted and his older sister Kat become sleuthing partners since the police are having no luck. Despite their pri
Eva Boettcher
I've decided to not finish this book but I didn't want to leave it there because I wanted to write a short review. To be honest it's simply badly written the plot is great but the actual writing hasn't very good. That just puts me off.
Patrizia
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Eine spannende Geschichte!
Amy Bailey
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I should go into how I found this book in the first place. When reading "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness, I noticed it credited Siobhan Dowd as having the idea for the book. I looked into this a little bit more and learned that Siobhan Dowd had mapped out the storyline for her next book, and she tragically passed away before she could actually write the book. In her honor, Ness wrote the book using her notes, and in his forward for the book spoke very highly of her and told me I s ...more
Lillian Meyer
The London Eye Mystery is the story of how Ted and Kat, who are brother and sister, try to find out what happened to their cousin Salim. All they know is that Salim got onto the London Eye and never got off. This puzzling story had me putting pieces together and figuring everything out till the very end. The London Eye Mystery takes twist and turns and keeps you sucked in till the end.

One of the things I really enjoyed about the book was all the British slang the author included in the writing.
Guguk
Cerita "detektif" anak-anak yang tokoh utamanya, si Ted, mengidap sindrom-entah-apa-ga-disebutin, yang bikin dia paham hal-hal rumit tapi sulit mengerti hal remeh yang terjadi di keseharian.

Jadi penceritaannya sering menyebut hal-hal baru (bagiku^^) yang disebutkan secara sambil lalu. Kadang dijelasin, kadang dianggap semua pembaca jenius atau mau baca sambil ngegugel arti istilah-istilah asing tersebut.
Di sisi lain, penceritaan dari sudut pandang Ted ini berulang kali menyebutkan dan menerangka
Kathy
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great young adult mystery by Siobhan Dowd! I've been meaning to read it for a while, and I finally picked it up when I was desperate for a good mystery read. Reminiscent of Roald Dahl's respect for children and their intelligence and worth, The London Eye Mystery has as its main character and narrator a boy named Ted, whose brain is wired differently than those around him, enabling him to view the world from a less constricted place. When his cousin, Salim, comes for a visit and disappear ...more
Dylan S
12/13/12

I am currently reading the London eye mystery by Siobhan Dowd. This book is about Ted and Kat two siblings and their cousin Salim. These three kids are on there way to a theme park with a BIG Ferris wheel called the London eye. Ted and Kat are to scared to get on, but Salim gets right on. Thirty minutes pass and the pod that he got in thirty minutes ago reaches the ground, but where's Salim? Well you will just have to read the book to find out! I can REALLY relate to Ted and Kat because
Jamie
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12-14, mystery
Agreeing with those who said it's a bit reminiscent of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, although for a younger audience. It is a fast paced story, and I think the audience will enjoy solving the mystery with the kids, although I'm not sure they have the clues to do so as much as they can follow along?

My peeve with the book is in its shape, and this is my new peeve. This is not a 400 page book, but the trim size is so small it makes it seem long. Its not pleasurable (to me) to
Emily
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
We listened to the audio edition, and my almost 10 year-old son and I were absolutely riveted by the story. The narration, by Paul Chequer is excellent, so much so, that when we returned from our road trip with only a fraction of our audio book listened to (as usual), rather than finishing the book more quickly in paperback, we kept listening to it in the car, whenever possible. I found myself wanting to make excuses to go out driving and get stuck in traffic.
Chris Griggs
At one point it says:

"I counted the people in the room. Seven. I tried to guess the ages of those I didn't know. Then I added up the ages, actual or approximate, of all present. When I arrived at the figure of 233, and worked out the average age was 33.3 recurring".

It's not. It's 33.2857143.
Mariam Abood
I read this book tragically after Dowd died. I got it for free from school.

This book had an interesting concept and an interesting plot for me, unfortunately however, I found the characters and execution underwhelming which is why I could only give this 3 stars.

I don't know, I think I was expecting some killer plot twist at the end and that didn't happen.
Jacque
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This book is written from the point of view of a boy with a unique syndrome that makes him very smart. I also enjoyed that it took place around the London landmark the London eye which I have ridden on a prior trip to London. I also enjoyed the simplicity of a young adult book!
NZ Intermediate S...: The London Eye Mystery 3 7 Oct 08, 2017 07:50PM
Future Teachers, ...: Janie Jones-Review 2 1 1 Oct 07, 2016 11:19PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The London Eye Mystery 1 11 Jul 21, 2016 01:16PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #42 - The London Eye Mystery 1 1 Mar 04, 2015 01:37PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd 1 13 Jan 20, 2015 02:46AM
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • Masterpiece
  • The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • A Drowned Maiden's Hair
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree
  • Heart of a Shepherd
  • The Danger Box
  • Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • Cosmic
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Down the Rabbit Hole (Echo Falls, #1)
  • The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
  • Keeping Score
  • I Put a Spell on You: From the Files of Chrissie Woodward, Spelling Bee Detective
Siobhan Dowd was born to Irish parents and brought up in London. She spent much of her youth visiting the family cottage in Aglish, County Waterford and later the family home in Wicklow Town.
She attended a Catholic grammar school in south London and then gained a degree in Classics at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. After a short stint in publishing, she joined the writer's organization PEN
More about Siobhan Dowd...

London Eye Mystery (2 books)
  • The Guggenheim Mystery (London Eye Mystery #2)
“Knowledge can be like the skin on the surface of the water in a pond, or it can go all the way down to the mud. It can be the tiny tip of the iceberg or the whole hundred percent.” 19 likes
“Salim,' She said, as if he were in the room. 'I'll have your guts for garters.' I has never heard this before and wondered what garters were. Kat told me later that they are what women used to wear around their thighs to keep their stockings up and they were elasticated. I do not think guts would be a tidy way of doing this.” 4 likes