Start by marking “The Manufactured Identity (Manufactured Identity, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Manufactured Identity (Manufactured Identity, #1)

The Manufactured Identity

(Manufactured Identity #1)

Months after his mysterious disappearance from a routine fishing trip, no one really expects over-the-hill Texas housewife Lory Latchley to find her missing husband--especially her husband. The Manufactured Identity is clinical psychologist Heath Sommer's ever-escalating immersion into the world of unlikely friends who each awaken to find their faithful companions missing

Published June 23rd 2009 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about The Manufactured Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manufactured Identity

Start your review of The Manufactured Identity (Manufactured Identity, #1)
Aisha Ayala
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
such a frustrating book. Then you finish it. and then it hits you. cool.
Kristen
Feb 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Oh I hate to be mean, but this was awful. Trite, stereotyped, ignorant drivel.
Ayeaye
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
read this and the prequel in a book clublast week. loved em
Rachel
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, la-biblioteca
Wth did I just read?! I don't...I can't even process my thoughts on it right now. I can't rate it or review it just yet. Which is annoying. I'm so annoyed right now. Just...wha?! Whatever.

ETA: I'm so confused. I don't know how I feel about the book. Was it genius or was it crap?? I honestly can't tell which side I fall on? I can't even...review it? I have no idea what I just read!! In a way it was predictable once you realized what was going on but even though I predicted the ending I'm still so
Julie
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
Waking up in a park, dazed and confused, an unidentified man tries to remember who he is and how he came to be in this place. At the same time, in different towns, men are disappearing. Their wives and lovers don't understand why they've gone. Some think their men have left them. Others think they have disappeared unwillingly. But all of them are trying to make sense of why they have been left behind.

The Manufactured Identity by Heath Sommer is a unique psychological thriller that kept me turnin
Meghan Barnes
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of suspense, psychological suspense, mysteries
The Manufactured Identity introduced me to a genre I'd not previously been interested in but now can't get enough of.

Heath Sommer is a master at getting into the heads of his characters. And there are a LOT of them in this book, but each is distinct enough that the story reads smoothly. The characters in TMI are your friends or next door neighbors, which is a little creepy but mostly intriguing. In fact, that might be my favorite thing about this book, other than the general "twistiness" of the
Brittney
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Manufactured Identity is not without the strong, necessary literary elements and techniques that make it a good read. On the surface Dr. Sommer is a commendable writer who blends both the traditional and contemporary in a way that will satisfy the technical reader.

But I believe the unique value of the book is not on the surface, but in its depth. It is the way in which it explores socially suppressed topics. As you read each chapter you can see in it the difficulties and ugliness of life- si
Dixie Theriault
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Manufactured Identity tells the story of lives that are connected by deceit of the worst kind.
Imagine if the person that you have spent your life with, and built a relationship with did not even really exist?
Their whole identity simply made-up.
How would you feel?
Would it change your perceptions of your memories of time spent with this person?
Would you begin to even doubt your own existence, if someone squandered your love and time this way?
Suppose you learned there were others involved.
Just
Sheryl
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Initially confusing, this novel has multiple characters that at first seem disassociated, but later are pulled together and explained through multiple identities. Perhaps because of the multiple identities, I never felt as though I got to know any of the characters well. They felt superficial.

The storyline was compelling however, and I did find myself wanting to read more to understand who these people were and how they were all connected. Heath Sommer opens the book with an interesting prologue
Stacielynn
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Didn't know what to think at first, but hung in there to see how it all ties together. I liked the writing sometimes and didn't like the writing at other times. Some of his phrases made me laugh out loud, as did his sometimes spot-on descriptions of things. Other parts seemed overdone, trite, or amateurish. That said, I really did need to keep reading so that I could see how it would end. Didn't see it coming and was grateful for that. Nothing predictable about this. Don't know how I feel about ...more
Nicole Modugno
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. Gripping. I was constantly on the edge of the seat, and when I wasn't, I was being sucked into interesting conversation; things that people in our society, nowadays, are unable to discuss or question. Heath Sommer's has created a murder mystery story out of psychological analysis and several identities. Not too much character development, but that's what keeps you interested--there is enough development to make the characters real though. Even his discussions on higher poli ...more
Bridgette
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Hmmmmm, how do I describe this? It is kind of like when your uncle, who is a doctor, says, "I'm going to write a book!" Then, you read the manuscript and you think someone is trying a little too hard to sound like they know their field of expertise. It gets a little pretentious and overdone but you notice he shows real promise in the overall storytelling. The book was like that. There is some real promise in the storytelling department but it gets a little ridiculous when every character has som ...more
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Rather disappointing. I was intrigued because of the numerous reviews and shelves mentioning the book's "twists and turns" and "surprise ending" so I stuck through the book's detailed and exhaustive character development anticipating a solid surprise or suspense. However, I saw these "twists" and especially the ending coming from the very beginning. I didn't even realize that was supposed to be a surprise--I found the story plot to be rather expected and obvious so that the final sentence of the ...more
Jennifer Stec
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm hesitant to give this even 2 stars, but it wasnt the worst book, so it escapes 1 star land. This was advertised as a psychological thriller; but it wasn't thrilling at all. Each chapter focuses on one of 5 characters, and of course they are actually connected in the end to a big fat so what. Utterly disapointing. I kept reading because there was one character whos story I was interested in...but once I got to the big reveal in the end, I was uttering, "Seriously?!" on the train, in disdain o ...more
Devan
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rose☮️
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama-fiction
I found this book to be a bit choppy and hard to follow. The characters were hard to know and get to like. I felt compelled to finish this book since all the reviewers on Goodreads seem to find it so riveting. I figured out pretty much what was going on with Pete, however I didn't see it coming in the end with Crawley. Interesting but would not recommend it. Better things on my shelf to read.
Lynette
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a really interesting book. I read it because a girl I work with is related to the author and she recommended it. It isn't your usual suspense novel because most of the characters have mental issues, but that is what kept me guessing. It was a little hard to keep the characters straight for the first half of the book and I had to keep referring to earlier parts of the book. But, I liked it and was sucked in by the end.
Crystal
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
The Manufactured Identity is an interesting look at a complex set of lives and marriages that have a lot more going on than you would think upon the first look. The common thread among most of these relationships is that their partner has mysteriously gone missing, leaving behind a ton of questions and a lost sense of self in many cases...

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog.
10_guys_book_club_davey
I hate psychology books and so these were not for me. The rest of my book club members seemed to rave over this series but for me a pass, although I do think the author was a talented writer and at parts i found the prose very compelling, despite my disinterest. I do think the concept made for an interesting discussion, but I like books I can escape life. Naive or not I am happy in my own little bubble!
Gail
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is in need of an editor. Some of the sentences were very poorly constructed. I read it b/c it had such a high number of stars in the reviews. It took most of the book for the characters to come together but read quickly. The characters were likeable but the story a bit predictable and unbelievable for me.

That said i may read his next novel b/c I am sucker for books with high star ratings.
Teresa
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
i was SO pleasantly surprised with this book. my brother's girlfriend lent this to me because she's actually working for the author, who is a professor at ISU. i honestly didn't plan on liking it so much, but i could NOT put it down. it's definitely confusing at first, there are a lot of different stories going on, but keep at it because it all ties together in a very interesting and scandalous way. i will definitely be looking into the next two.
Tina
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What an awesome read - it takes you through the backwoods and down a wild mountain pass into OMG!! Very good read and the end.......!!! if you enjoy psychological thrillers this one is it! It does have a "his parents did what to him?" moment that is dark and grissly but once you get passed that (which doesn't last long, but you completely understand why the man is seeking help) it boggles your mind.
Naomi
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Exceptionally bad writing. So excruciating I feel compelled to comment further in fairness to my other one-starred books, because this would merit negative stars. Short of arbitrarily inserting/substituting random phrases or obscenities or messing around with grammar and typesetting, I'm hard pressed to imagine how it could be any much less readable yet remain recognisably the same text. I can only hope, for everybody's sake, that the author is far better at his other profession.
KLB
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Um, not sure how to start. I think I liked it. I had to create a cheat sheet to keep all the characters straight. I would say it's definitely a page turner because I couldn't wait to see where the story was going. Felt a little let down by the ending, that's it?!

Wasn't surprised like I would hope I'd be, especially based on the other reviews.

I will go on and read the next book in the series, prequel.
Amber B
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I knew I would enjoy from the very first page. After I got over the initial confusion of all the characters being introduced, I found myself not wanting to put the book down so I could find out what happened next. The way the author tied everything together in the end was amazing and not at all what I expected. The author was able to keep me guessing, intrigued and excited to keep reading during the entire book. I highly recommend this book to all mystery lovers.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
If you love psychology and understanding how the mind works - or doesn't work - you will enjoy this mystery.
You will find broken marriages and marriage counseling, people fighting to overcome dysfunctions and abnormal behaviors ... and several other psychological problems are represented in this book. We get to look into their thinking and their struggles... and a mystery. A mystery with a surprise
Danielle Loosbrock
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really liked this book. Listened to most of it in the car and have to admit that I hated the reader. It definitely is a page turner. I was hooked from the first few lines and it kept me interested and engaged until the end. Suppose this means that I'll need to read the rest of the series too... :)
Joann Smith
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love psycological thrillers
Recommended to Joann by: a friend
Kristel
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
What a mess of a book. Way too much psych babble. Written from an angry and choppy point of view. I felt like I was being yelled at for the majority of the book. Interesting idea I just felt the execution was not my style. I had another book from this author (I think it is part of a series) in my "to read" list...that will be getting removed.

Alice
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was not exactly what I expected based on the summaries I had read. I found it a little confusing initially, but as I got into it I did enjoy it. A very fast read. Predictable in many ways but I was surprised at the end. Leaves one with lots of food for thought though. Whose identity is really real? Do we really know anyone? Do we know ourselves?

• Flowers for Algernon
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Sold on a Monday
  • Spell Check
  • My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton
  • Chalk Lines and Lipstick (Maren Colepepper Mystery #1)
  • Never Split the Difference
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT
  • Nothing to See Here
  • A Room of One's Own
  • The Martian
  • The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
  • Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project
  • A Man Called Ove
  • The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1)
  • All the Light We Cannot See
Dr. Heath Sommer is the author of The Manufactured Identity psychological suspense series and runs a developmental disability and mental health clinic in southern Idaho.

Manufactured Identity (3 books)
  • The Grand Delusion (Manufactured Identity, Book #2)
  • The Human Obsession (Manufactured Identity, Book #3)