Start by marking “A Corner of the Universe” as Want to Read:
A Corner of the Universe

A Corner of the Universe

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  13,259 Ratings  ·  1,205 Reviews
Hattie Owen enjoys peaceful Millerton summertimes with houses nodding in the heavy air, being in charge of Miss Hagerty's breakfast tray at her parents' boardinghouse, and drinking lemonade on the porch after supper. Yet this year, it's different -- Hattie's uncle Adam is coming home. Returning from a Chicago school that's just closed and whose existence is kept quiet by a ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Scholastic Inc. (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Corner of the Universe, please sign up.
Ben
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Anna Motteler
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Anna by: Roger
I saw that one of my friends read this book, so I decided to check it out. I love Ann M. Martin, she is one of my favorite authors, so before I even started reading this, I knew I would like it. It's heartwarming and an amazing story.

This eleven year old girl (soon to be twelve) named Hattie lives in a boardinghouse with her family. She wakes up early, does her chores, and then reads or does whatever else she feels like doing. Up until the day she realizes she has an uncle Adam, that she never k
Rachel
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: assigned-novels
Hattie Owen is a shy girl who lives in a quiet town where everyone knows everyone else's business. There is only one piece of business that she is left out of the loop on until this summer, the fact that she has an uncle... and that uncle is mentally challenged. This story is about how Hattie grows to know and love her uncle, even with all of his flaws -- which is something that seems to be hard for other people in his life at times.

I loved how the characters in this book were so real and belie
Rebecca McNutt
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nostalgic, far out and utterly disturbing, Ann Martin takes a step away from the sunny mood of The Babysitter's Club and gives a story filled with creativity, sadness and growing up in a time when mental illnesses were stigmatized heavily by the world. It was well-written, vibrant and descriptive, and I highly recommend it.
Connie
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ellen
May 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Nicole Fellows
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Hattie who lives in a boarding house with her parents where she has the opportunity to meet many interesting people. On one particularly special summer, she finds out about her uncle that she never knew she had. She realizes that the reason no one talked about him was because he is mentally handicapped. The story talks about Hattie's summer with her uncle Adam and how she grows to love him very much. She has many difficult experiences as she struggles with the fa ...more
Kristi
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, newbery
Bianca Patterson
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As apart of UMHB's READ3307, I read A Corner of the Universe by Ann Martin. This book honestly portrays the life of Hattie, an eleven year old girl who has recently discovered that she has an uncle, Adam, who has mental disabilities. Since it is written in 1st person, the reader gets the story from a child's point of view and can better understand what it is like for Hattie to deal with her Uncle Adam's condition. The characters in the book are convincing, which makes the reader sympathize with ...more
Kelly 💜☕️
How to describe this book? Heart warming, realistic comfort read. I grabbed it because I've been in a middle grade phase and I used to read Ann M. Martin's Babysitters Club series as a girl. The main character Hattie is so sweet and I enjoyed reading her discovery of her 21 year old uncle who is mentally challenged. It's a fast read that provides much food for thought. 5 stars!
Sam McGraw
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a very thought prvoking, heart-felt story that bored me to tears. But, I enjoyed it thoroughly when poking fun at the cheesy plot, flaky characters, and horrible acting. All I can say is "HO HO HO!!!"
Erin Mash
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A character strength that the main character, Hattie Owens shows is kindness. She shows this because as she is sensitive and kind towards her mentally disabled cousin, Adam, a friendly platform.
Kayla Smith
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible. It included so much symbolism, which helped me go more in depth of the book, and understand Hattie, and Adam more. I can't believe the ending it was a surprise, and I wasn't expecting it.
Maggie
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn't cry. But it made me want to live at a carnival. I loved Adam and his energy. It's hard to imagine what time period it is though but overall it was a really good book.
Melissa
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this because I was a fan of Ann M. Martin's Babysitters Club series when I was growing up. The story also sounded interesting. I like that it took place in 1960. It seemed like an idyllic time, but still carried its own set of complications. I love that most of the story was set at a carnival and I could even picture everything happening.

I got this as an audio book, read by Judith Ivey. She did a lot of different voices and characterizations, but some of the characters got easily mixed u
Erin Ramai
A Corner of the Universe is appropriate for students in grades 5-8. It was a Newbery Honor book in 2003.

I listened to the audio version of this book. I found the beginning of this reading to be distracting. The background music, which I assume was intended to set the mood, only kept me from being able to pay any attention to the beginning pages of the story, which for me, tend to be most critical. While I’m trying to make sense of who’s who in a story, I don’t need anything else distracting me f
Sarah Johnson
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It really relates to the feelings of having someone in your family with autism; and how they complete specific tasks. When you make a person with autism really happy, and feel welcome, the outcome is really spectacular. All they really want in their life is a friend and this book pretty much shows you how to get though to them. The perspective that Ann M. Martin writes from makes it feel like your going through this with her. It gets emotional and really triggers you ...more
Tiffany
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
A Corner Of The Universe is about a girl named Hattie who met her uncle, Adam for the first time. Her family never told her that she has an uncle. They only told her that she has a uncle when the school her uncle attend, is close down. Her Uncle Adam has to come back to live with Hattie's grandparents until they find another school for him. Hattie wonders why her family never told her that she has a uncle or mention anything about him to her. Later on in the story she finds out the reason they d ...more
Alison
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Teens
Recommended to Alison by: me, myself, and i
This book is about a girl name Hattie Owen; she lives in a boarding house with her parents and the other borders. Her live has a regular routine and is simple till she learns that her mother has another brother. Hattie finds out about her Uncle Adam who has been living at a boarding school for “special” people ever since Hattie was little. Adam and Hattie become friends in ways that most people don’t, they share secrets as though they have known each other their whole lives. She also makes new f ...more
Yamin Eaindray
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, four-stars
Dominique Boczek
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
How anyone likes this book is beyond me. It sat in the back of my closet from when I was in 5th grade until I was about 20 and decided to read it. All I could think was thank God I didn't read it when I was 10. It has way too much adult content and is frankly horrifying. I get that everyone has hardships in life and it is important as a child to understand this, but this book was far too extreme.
Ezzieh Hassan
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lori
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was a sweet book until they started adding the edge to it. Some mild+ adult content. This is suppose to be a children's book. If I was reading it as a book for adults I would have rated it 4 stars but I am looking at it through an elementary childs eyes. I would not recommend for my elementary age students.
Tracy
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
a little below so-so
I know children need to learn about handicapped people, but this book did not show the love given by many, many parents and care givers. I hated the ending which I would not want my 10 year old to read. Save your money for something else.
Annabel ♥
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I cannot even begin to tell you how much I loved this book! All I'll say is that I finished it quickly because I couldn't put it down, and everyone everyone everyone should read it no matter what.
Roxana
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started to read this book out of curiosity and I ended up loving it! It was a wonderful warmhearted story about a family in the sixtie's, well about a girl, Hattie, living in a small town where everybody knows eachother. She lives with her parents who own a boarding house, with eccentric tenants. His father is an artist, and works at home, and her mother's family lives near by in a very big mantion, rich and stylish.
The summer she turn 12, she learns that she has an uncle she never heard befor
Marian
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vega Cordray
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
TASNIEM SABER
لفتني العنوان جداً ، لاننى احياناً لا اريد من الكون سوى ركن هادئ لا مجال فيه للإزعاج البشرى الصاخب
الرواية من الروايات الخفيفة البسيطة كالتى تعكس قصة شارع فى مدينة فى ولاية من احدى الولايات الامريكية
تعجبت ان احد ابطال قصتها لديه طيف من المرض العقلى - النفسي وهو ما يتوافق مع مجال تخصصي الدراسى !
يلقى الضوء على اهمال بعض الاهل لهذه الفئة من الناس
حزنت من النهاية !
وتمنيت ان تنتهى كل مأساة من على شاكلة آدم الشاب الصغير ذا الروح المرحة الذى لم يرحل إلا بعد ان ترك بصمة لابنة اخته الصغيرة ذات الصف الس
jenn2.0
Aishah
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, 2017
Such a great read. I am so glad I read this even if it is a "children's book."
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. man named adam with some mental illness that kills himself in the end [s] 7 639 Nov 11, 2018 07:34PM
How did you like it? 7 34 Sep 09, 2018 02:28AM
A corner of the universe 1 6 Nov 22, 2017 01:21PM
Climaxes & Resolutions 4 4 Dec 15, 2015 10:15AM
  • Getting Near to Baby
  • The Voice That Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights
  • Whittington
  • Volcano: The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens
  • The Old Tobacco Shop
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night
  • Sugaring Time
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • The Noonday Friends
  • The Windy Hill

“For now, I just want things all safe and familiar. My life may not be perfect, but it is what I have known.” 58 likes
“Because, you see, you only need one friend for a party. One is enough. Two is enough. Anything is enough.'
~pg 107; Adam on friendship”
22 likes