Start by marking “Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy” as Want to Read:
Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy

Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  4,267 Ratings  ·  509 Reviews
In the blink of an eye it happens: a teenage girl has a mental breakdown and is whisked away to the hospital. For her sister, left behind, nothing will ever be the same. Fearful of her own sanity, her fragile friendships, and her unraveling world, she embarks on a powerful emotional journey.
Published March 21st 2002 by Orion Children's Books (first published October 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stop Pretending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Pretending

Christie Strowman
Stop Pretending is a story of a young girl that suffers from a mental disorder. She grew up as a normal girl in a loving family and had an excellent relationship with her younger sister. Suddenly, she starts hearing voices in her head. It gets so out of control that she must be placed in a mental institution. The story is actually not told through the eyes of this girl, but by the younger sister, Cookie. It is an extremely emotional story written in free verse. Cookie recalls memories with her s ...more
Paige
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! A few parts were pretty confusing but once I read it over a couple of times it made more sense.
Tatiana
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry readers
Shelves: ya, verse, 2010
I seem to be alone in my adoration of Sonya Sones, because my reading buddies don't really share my love of "What My Mother Doesn't Know," but what can you do?

"Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Sister Went Crazy" is my 3rd Sones book and once again, the writer manages to touch me emotionally, and this is a sure sign of great writing for me. Based on Sones' personal experiences, this book is a collection of poems about a 13-year old girl whose older sister unexpectedly experiences a nervous
Seanna
This book is good but depressing. Don't get me wrong its a beautiful story told in poetry but just depressing. Its a story about how a girl so innocent goes insane in an instant. A family so pure and full of life gets pulled apart but finds there way back together.
Andrew Munroe
I'm not into poetry but this type of poetry was put into a story about her sister going insane. It really drew in my attention about how it was designed and written.
Nileishka P.
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Book's because this book taught me alot one of the things that this book taught me was No matter what happens keep your head up high this book is really intresting is about a girl that her big sister had a nervous break down && now every one says she unormal just because her sister turn a lil bit crazy && people that she thouqht would be there for her was never there they just left her all alone with no body support buht her parents this also taught me ...more
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy was okay. I really am not a ginormous fan of poetry unless is pretty old (for example, I love Edgar Allan Poe), but this book had a good subject. It was meaningful, and that made it somewhat good. It was a good, quick read, but one I never would have picked up if not required by my class. I recommend it to lovers of poetry.
Hannah M.
My overall rating would be 3.5 stars.

This book was really good, and definitely a poetry book for me, since I usually do not like poetry at all. it shows a really amazing story, and I enjoyed most of it quite well.

Although, I don't really trust that kid, John, even though he didn't do anything at all. In fact, he was pretty cool. But I guess movies have just fogged my mind not to trust attractive new kids. *Cough cough* Jason Dean *cough cough*

I really should have finished the book sooner, since
Alyssa
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alyssa by: Mrs. Lawton
People often write about what it's like to experience mental illness, but witnessing it is hardly ever writen about. Stop Pretending is the story of a girl who watches her sister decend into desperation, and the confusion that comes with watching someone you care about become unfamiliar to you. The book is written in a series of poems that paint a picture of the internal struggles she went through. It was interesting to watch the girl begin to question herself based on her sister's experiences. ...more
Jaden
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting this book to be as good as this. In a way it was similar to Backlash because at times sister was the main perspective and that is what Stop Pretending is about. I thought the book was great and had no idea the entire time I was reading it that it was true. The author kept diary entries and when she was older turned them into a book. When I was reading I could picture everything because the author was amazing at telling what she was feeling.
Class of 2015: Stop Pretending 6 9 Mar 27, 2014 07:38AM
Class of 2015: Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Sister Turned Crazy, by Sonya Sones 1 4 Mar 26, 2014 09:06AM
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: book review yo. 1 2 May 02, 2013 04:27AM
THIS BOOK! 3 38 Feb 03, 2012 10:16AM
  • Pieces of Georgia
  • Shakespeare Bats Cleanup (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #1)
  • The Taking of Room 114
  • Hugging the Rock
  • All the Broken Pieces
  • Far from You
  • Seeing Emily
I was born in Boston and overprotected in the nearby suburb of Newton. I thought I would be an artist when I grew up. I loved sneaking upstairs to a tiny room in our attic, where I could while away the hours drawing pictures of dinosaurs. The summer I turned seventeen, I fell in love with making animated films (not to mention at least a couple of boys). Soon after, I enrolled in Hampshire College ...more
More about Sonya Sones...
“Ready or not, here I come
I'm so tired of this dumb game of hide and seek
Olly olly oxen free
Show yourself, you're scaring me
Come out, come out, where ever you are
You've taken this thing way too far”
31 likes
“Madame V
begins the lesson
by reading aloud the first stanza
of a famous French poem:

Il pleure dans mon coeur
Comme il pleut sur la ville;
Quelle est cette langueur
Qui penetre mon coeur?

Then she looks up
and without any warning
she calls on me to translate it.
I swallow hard, and try:

"It's raining in my heart
like it's raining in the city.
What is this sadness
that pierces my heart?"

Saying these words out loud,
right in front of the whole class,
makes me feel
like I'm not wearing any clothes.”
19 likes