Start by marking “Die Hunde des Orion (Star Trek: Titan, #3)” as Want to Read:
Die Hunde des Orion (Star Trek: Titan, #3)

Die Hunde des Orion

(Star Trek: Titan #3)

Als die Titan in eine unbekannte Region des Raums vordringt, werden die Telepathen in ihrer Crew – einschließlich des Diplomatie-Offiziers Deanna Troi – von einem fremden Schrei der Qualen überwältigt. Das führt die Crew zu dem Ort eines schockierenden Blutbads: Eine Zivilisation interstellarer „Walfänger“ macht Jagd auf eine bekannte Spezies intelligenter im Raum lebender ...more
Published April 27th 2009 by Cross Cult (first published January 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Die Hunde des Orion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Hunde des Orion

Start your review of Die Hunde des Orion (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this has to be one of the best written books that I didn't really like in a lot of places. This is a very well told story with intelligent, engaging dialogue (in fact, some of the best dialogue I've read in a Trek book to date) that should give one pause and consider how tolerant a person they really are towards others and the story is competently handled as well.

The problem here, which might just be me, is that I really didn't need the lion's share of a Sci-Fi fiction book to serve as ca
Dan Gilman
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, I had to read this one chapter at a time, moving forward out of duty and sense of failure of not having read a book, I haven't had a book this hard to read since... ever really. As much as I love Star Trek (and believe me, I do) I do have episodes that I hate, from every series. Storylines that just fail to deliver what to me, is Star Trek, and this book was one of those.

None of the characters other than Ree held my attention for a moment, I wanted to just give up on this book about
Daniel Kukwa
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The two introductory novels to the "Titan" series were solid, but this feels far more Trek-ish. Free from the task of setting up the new starship & its crew, this flows smoothly as an enjoyable action-adventure and exploratory journey. This is the novel that ultimately sold me on Captain Riker & his new crew. ...more
Adam
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Average trek story.

The writing is good but I found the story so uninspiring and uninteresting. It was basically hunting jelly fish in space. One was even caught in a space net at one point.

There are certain episodes of Star Trek that is not for me and this book falls into that category. It did not resonate with me.

I don’t think novels should be fillers. So why did this one feel so much like a filler? I wanted more from this!
Matthew Rasnake
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trek fans looking for a fix
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
First off, Titan is a Star Trek novel. As such, there's a certain amount of forgiveness and understanding one must indulge in to thoroughly enjoy it. For me, Trek novels have always been sort of like candy--like a... banana flavored taffy, sometimes it tastes better than a real banana, but it can be a little hard to chew at first, and often tastes just a bit off. All this is not to say that it's a bad book, just that there's a difference between literature and pop-fiction.

As a Trek novel, it cer
John
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I admire Christopher L. Bennett for being the first to take the reins in this series from Martin and Mangels, whose interesting and rather shaky start made me quite curious as to how it would proceed. The story in this book is well-told, if not slow and deliberate where pace is concerned. It fills in the gaps of some episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, though I won't mention them here in order to avoid spoilers.
Captain Riker and his veritable zoo of a crew come across a peaceful race of
Andrew
Aug 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
When the 2009 Star Trek movie released, the Onion website made a parody news cast, stating that Trek fans hated the movie because it wasn't boring enough. Well, this is the kind of boring Trek that they were referring to.

I gave up on page 152. The conflict between two alien races is not exciting, and a significant portion of the book is dedicated to conversations about how diverse the crew of Titan is. I'd rather see the diverse crew actually do something besides talk about how awesome they are
Crystal Bensley
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this Titan novel. Lots of cool species and messages about how we treat other creatures. Onward to book 4!
Jerry
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story with great writing.
Christopher
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, titan
An excellent story, easily one of the best of the modern Star Trek novel era. Like any great Star Trek story, Orion's Hounds contains allegories for our own lives and lessons that we can use in our own world today. The world-building of the cosmozoan ecosystem of the Gum Nebula is first rate, and Christopher Bennett has managed to create a setting that is full of wonders that truly made me feel that sense of excitement at the idea of exploration and discovery. As the start of Titan's mission of ...more
Zachary
I enjoyed this, though less than the first 2 Titan novels. Bennett was clearly horny as hell while writing this, and scarcely a chapter went by where he didn’t seem to shoehorn in some reference to sex. I’m no prude but it felt out of place and contrived in the story. The plot though was very interesting and Trek-like, focused on exploration and understanding of differences, which I appreciated greatly.
Yvette
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a chore to read. I could not get into it. I have not really cared about this crew. But the last two chapters were interesting. I’m not sure if the story got better or if I was just excited that it was coming to an end.
Also, it took me at least a chapter to get into the first two Titan books.
rivka
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
Lonnie Richey
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite
Wes
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was literally a book about space birds hunting space jelly fish. 380 pages of space birds and space jelly fish.
Joshua Kuruvilla
My first entry into Star Trek novels, definitely an enjoyable read!
Ash
3.5 stars. Deanna does lots of things in this book I’m very happy!!
John Mosman
I was not impressed with this story... it was a tad to complicated for my taste. However I will continue the series as I enjoy the universe and characters.
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dylan
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i keep forgetting to do a review for this one. i finished it last friday, but it was a pretty busy weekend.

I'm really enjoying the adventures of the USS Diversity er... Titan. Conceptually this is exactly what Star Trek is all about for me, and the struggles that the crew face in trying to strike a balance of diversity and tolerance among one another... sometimes leading to very difficult and uncomfortable cultural clashes. It is fascinating and very thought provoking.

The story in this one was p
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Emma
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, trek
This is the third book in the series and my favorite so far. The first two books are closely linked chronologically and by cast of characters, and Romulan related stories are not my favorite. All of the espionage and scheming gets tedious quickly.

The third book is much more of an "alien of the week" plot but done in much more detail than a single hour long show could've managed. The more Trek books I read, the more I feel like it's a better way to handle the franchise.

Besides the major plot conf
Jarrah
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, star-trek, sci-fi
I enjoyed this third installment in the Titan series because of the continuing development of key characters, mainly Tuvok, Troi, Keru and Melora Pazlar. But overall I felt this book dragged a lot more than the first two. There were parts I found myself skimming - like the science officers' extended explanations of alien creatures and phenomena - because I wanted to get back to the character conflict and the action. A lot of the explanations, while nice, were just not really necessary to the plo ...more
Jimyanni
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was quite an excellent Star Trek novel; the plot moved well, with some good action, some good suspense, and a good, plausible resolution that was realistic enough to not be a perfect, everybody's-happy-with-it solution. The characters were handled well, with the Starfleet characters demonstrating a good balance between trying to avoid interfering in the development of other cultures and trying to save innocent lives; the opposition were decent folks with a different culture and a different ...more
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Titan: Orion's Hounds by Christopher L. Bennett 3rd part of the Titan-series of books, set after "Nemesis" on Riker's new ship. This is a very good book, (re)introducing species that live (almost) entirely in space such as the crystal entity or the beings from "Encounter at Farpoint", dealing with the Prime Directive and lots of good characterization.

The only criticism I have is that Bennett sometimes tends to take his scientific approach a little too seriously. I could certainly do
Shawlands Lee
I read a review that said this book was very well written but there was not enough to make you care what happened. To an extent I disagree. This was indeed a very well written book. The problem is the solution is obvious almost from the point the problem is presented. While the dialog is well written with interesting character development, the journey to the inevitable conclusion eventually becomes tedious. Because of that a book that was close to a five star rating only gains three stars.
Angela
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Titan is finally exploring new areas of space. They come across the aliens from 'Encounter at Farpoint' and another race is killing them. This is a really good story with some great character moments. It would have made a good 2 parter. I really liked how Tuvok and Deanna were handled. I am also starting to like the Doctor, who is basically an alien dinosaur. It looks at how things aren't always black and white, that there are usually reasons. There are some very good twists. A really good r ...more
Aaron Eiche
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book. I don't know what it was, but once I got going, it really pulled me in. Chris Bennett is a great Author and he provides a strong and interesting storyline for Riker and his crew. I found this story to be much more engaging and Star-Trek-like than the previous Titan Book (The Red King).
Though not dependent on the previous books, it's worth reading the first 2 in the series as there's a little important background information.

• Articles of the Federation (Star Trek)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #2)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: A Time to... #4)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: A Time to... #3)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: A Time to... #7)
  • A Time to Love (Star Trek: A Time to... #5)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: A Time to... #6)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
Christopher L. Bennett is a lifelong resident of Cincinnati, Ohio, with a B.S. in Physics and a B.A. in History from the University of Cincinnati. A fan of science and science fiction since age five, he has spent the past two decades selling original short fiction to magazines such as Analog Science Fiction and Fact (home of his "Hub" series of comedy adventures), BuzzyMag, and Galaxy's Edge. Sinc ...more

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War

News & Interviews

“The Gum Nebula was one of the largest astronomical landmarks in the Orion Arm. It was a gigantic supernova remnant, a shock front from the death of a star over a million years in the past.” 0 likes