Start by marking “Northanger Abbey” as Want to Read:
Northanger Abbey

Read Book* *Different edition

Northanger Abbey

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  294,334 ratings  ·  12,283 reviews
Jane Austen's first novel—published posthumously in 1818—tells the story of Catherine Morland and her dangerously sweet nature, innocence, and sometime self-delusion. Though Austen's fallible heroine is repeatedly drawn into scrapes while vacationing at Bath and during her subsequent visit to Northanger Abbey, Catherine eventually triumphs, blossoming into a discerning wom ...more
Kindle Edition
Published December 12th 2007 by Kindle Classics (first published December 1st 1817)

To ask other readers questions about Northanger Abbey, please sign up.
Stephanie Okay, I'm going out on a limb here, but has it ever occurred to anyone that Henry Tilney is gay? I mean, I've read N.A. several times in my life and a…moreOkay, I'm going out on a limb here, but has it ever occurred to anyone that Henry Tilney is gay? I mean, I've read N.A. several times in my life and although I enjoy the book tremendously, there never seems to be an ounce of real romance or heat or buzz between Henry and Catherine. Also, there seem to be a few other clues.

Not that Austen would ever come out and say anything like this and perhaps she didn't even know that subconsciously she was writing a gay character. Maybe she didn't even know what a gay person was. But for some years I have thought that Catherine is chosen in the end because she's a little dim and she makes an excellent beard.

Okay, you can all start throwing daggers at me now.(less)
daniela The marriage standards of the time were: Men earned the money (fan and lavender water), while women were keepers of the home (agreeableness, complianc…moreThe marriage standards of the time were: Men earned the money (fan and lavender water), while women were keepers of the home (agreeableness, compliance, etc).
He means to say that in dancing, the roles are reversed. It is men who must be agreeable and comply to a women's wishes, while women who will provide the 'materials' needed.
He's basically poking fun. (less)

·  294,334 ratings  ·  12,283 reviews

Start your review of Northanger Abbey
Claire
I have a confession to make.

Secretly, I much prefer "Northanger Abbey" and "Mansfield Park" to anything else written by Jane Austen, even "Pride and Prejudice," which we're all supposed to claim as our favorite because it is one of the Greatest Books Ever Written In the English Language. I don't DISLIKE "Pride and Prejudice," but I just don't think it stands up to this one. I'm sorry, but it's true.

"Northanger Abbey" feels like two very different stories that eventually merge into one at the end
Sean Barrs
Jane Austen’s novels are just about romance and naïve women. There just another telling of boy meets girl in an uninspiring way with a few social issues thrown in. Well, ashamed as I am to admit it, that is what I used to believe in my woefully idiotic ignorance. How foolish of me. Now that I’ve actually bothered to read one of her novels, because I had to for university purposes, I realise how stupid I was to actually think this. Jane Austen is one of, if not the, best novelists of all time. If ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A creepy mansion ...
description

Dark and stormy nights ...
description

... and Jane Austen just having fun with us.
description
"Now I must give one smirk, and then we may be rational again."

Seventeen year old Catherine Morland, as innocent and naïve a heroine as Austen ever created, with no particular distinguishing characteristics except goodhearted sincerity and an overfondness for Gothic novels, is invited to stay in Bath for several weeks with kindly and wealthy neighbors. She meets a new bestie, Isabella ...

... as well as Henr
emma
I don’t even know what to say. This book was such a flippin’ blast.

Okay, that’s a little bit of a lie. I know the most important thing I have to say. First and foremost: I’M IN LOVE WITH HENRY TILNEY.

SO FUNNY, smart, handsome, owns a cute house, and dare I say...woke?! He’s the best. But let me backtrack a bit.

Northanger Abbey is Austen’s satire, and she pokes fun at gothic horror books by having her heroine, Catherine, believe she’s essentially in one
Henry Avila
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Morland is your typical seventeen -year- old -girl, of the turn of the century (19th, that is). She reads too much, an illness that is sadly terminal, Gothic books are her passion and the rage of the era . Any ancient home that is eerie , ominous or sinister the young lady would enjoy seeing, if there were any in the area. She lives in a quiet English village, (too quiet) where everyone knows each other, which keeps the populous from misadventures. Her parents have ten children and sur ...more
Lisa
"It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language."

Well, I guess Jane Austen wrote my review of her novel - in her novel. That's a bit annoying, as I can't compete with her wit of course. But even more annoying is the fact that I wrote my own ima
Bill Kerwin
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19th-c-brit, gothic

A charming early Austen novel filled with overt criticism of Mrs. Radcliffe and implied criticism of Fanny Burney . . . but this is very gentle criticism indeed, since young Jane is obviously a huge fan of both writers.

Her heroine Catharine Morland is a charming naif in the Evelina mode--perhaps just a little too naive, and therein lies some of the criticism--who is fascinated by all things gothic and therefore misinterprets much of what she sees, manufacturing the sinister in a score of places
Anne
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth may be the most beloved, & Emma may be the hated, and (of course) Elinor is the most sensible, but I personally think Catherine is the most relatable.

description

We can't all be as witty and perceptive as Lizzie, and we hopefully aren't as meddling and silly as Emma. But Catherine? Well, she's somewhere in the middle of normal. She's not always as clever as she wishes, she's not the wealthiest heiress in the room, and she's not always sure of what she's doing. She's just...every girl who's ever go
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I have no idea how to rate this book, because there wasn't anything in particular that I disliked, but also nothing that I enjoyed. I've come to the conclusion that Austen just isn't for me, because I never find myself even remotely interested in what's going on, and I find her novels to be quite dull.

but that's just me.

I have nothing negative to say about Austen or her books, but unfortunately I don't find myself able to enjoy them.

c'est la vie!
Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOVELS.
Let us leave it to the Reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure, and over every new novel to talk in threadbare strains of the trash with which the press now groans. Let us not desert one another, we are an injured body. Although our productions have afforded more extensive and unaffected pleasure than those of any other literary corporation in the world, no species of composition has been so much decried. From pride, ignorance, or fashion, our foes are almost as many a
Bionic Jean
Northanger Abbey is the shortest of Jane Austen's six major novels, and has a special place in many readers' hearts. In many ways it is not the tightly constructed witty sort of story we expect from this author, yet its spontaneity and rough edges prove to be part of its charm. Started when she was very young, it should perhaps more properly be classed as part of her juvenilia. What lifts it above the other earlier works, however, is the skill she demonstrates for writing a parody of all the got ...more
Merphy Napier
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, charming, fast paced, Jane Austen's writing (read:perfect)

I loved this book so much
Jason Pettus
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

The CCLaP 100: In which I read for the first time a hundred so-called "classics," then write reports on whether or not they deserve the label.

Book #24: Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen (1818)

The story in a nutshell:
Although not published until after her death in 1818 (but more on that in a bit), North
Ahmad Sharabiani
Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey was the first of Jane Austen's novels to be completed for publication, in 1803. However, it was not published until after her death in 1817, along with another novel of hers, Persuasion.

Northanger Abbey is a satire of Gothic novels, which were quite popular at the time, in 1798–99. This coming-of-age story revolves around Catherine Morland, a young and naïve "heroine," who entertains the reader on her journey to a better understanding of the world
Elizabeth
The Jane Austen binge continues. I must admit that I hit a wall with this one.
Sense and Sensibility moved along so merrily and with great suspense, while Northanger Abbey had a few moments where I thought, "Oh gosh, do I really have to pick this book up again?"

After I finished the novel I started doing more research including reading the introduction by crime writer Val McDermid (I make it a policy never to read introductions as I they often include spoilers), and realized that this was the firs
Dannii Elle
Catherine Morland is the very antithesis of the expected heroine. And yet, in this fun, Gothic parody, Austen makes her just that!

Catherine has a preoccupation with the female Gothic genre that influences how she views the world around her. There is much to unpack and explore, in the characters of her new Bath acquaintances, and an opportunity to do so is soon provided, when she is invited to journey to the Abbey home of her new friends, the Tilneys. But will Mrs Radcliffe let her stay there be
Sanaa
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-collection
[4 Stars] I buddy read this with Maureen from Maureen Keavy and it was so much fun! I wasn't originally planning on reading it this week, but it just ended up happening. I listened to the audiobook for this, and I recommend it wholeheartedly. This book was witty, sarcastic, so much fun, and I just really enjoyed Catherine's character. The first half of the book was my favorite because of how drama filled it was. The second half was good as well, but I felt like I was missing something. I wanted ...more
Dem
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me
What would be considered a romantic Rom Com in today’s Reading world, Northanger Abbey is more a fanciful, whimsical read that really didn't do anything for me. I am more a fan of the Bronte sisters as feel their novels are more intense and atmospheric whereas Austen tends to be more lighthearted and romantic in my opinion.

I came across this on Audible Original narrated by Emma Thompson and stuck for something to listen to on a car journey I figured I would give it a try. Unfortunately this was
Kelly
May 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jane austen fans, young women
This is one of the lesser regarded Austens. It has nowhere near the fan club that the Holy Trinity of Austen (Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Sense and Sensibility) has. It's one of her first books and it's true, the prose and development of characters is not as mature. The book is more of a homage/satire of Gothic lit, mixed with the comedy of manners style that she would be famous for later.

But I LOVE this book. Seriously, this book is so wonderful. The voice on this book. In later books, Jane A
Trevor
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Having read both Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion I was a little surprised by this one. The first thing that surprised me was that the heroine is basically as thick as they come. I would have said that Austen is the sort of writer who creates the sort of main female characters that men are rather likely to fall in love with. I mean, I know women who go all weak at the knees over Mr Darcy, but when compared to Lizzy he is merely a sad shadow.

All the same, Catherine is hardly what I would have t
Chavelli Sulikowska
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Everyone seems to leave poor Northanger Abbey to read last out of all of Austen’s novels. Why is this? For me, I still have Emma to go – I really don’t like the sound of Emma as a character (and yes I have been a little influenced by the movie and mini series adaptations).

Perhaps it is because being the first full length novel of Austen’s, Northanger is the least developed or mature example of her writing – I think she peaked with Persuasion, and certainly Sense and Sensibility, with Pride and
Elizabeth
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
description

I understand this novel is a satire. I also understand that this book was published posthumously and so right now, Jane Austin may very well be rolling in her grave saying "Oh God, I can't believe they published Northanger Abbey." I understand I am one of very few people who feel this way. However, I do feel this way.

You can't just write a book about incredibly irritating characters who are flustered by very trivial situations and then say "oh no, but it's a satire about books that have incredi
Diane
This book was a delight! I hadn't read it in more than a decade, and decided to pick it up again for a few reasons: First, I recently had the good fortune to visit Bath, and much of this novel is set in that lovely English city; second, I had just read Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw," which is a ghost story, and I was eager to revisit this early Austen work that played with Gothic themes; third, and perhaps most importantly, I just like reading Jane Austen novels.

A quick plot summary: Cathe
Will M.
This is my very first romance novel, and I have to say that I'm not that entertained. It's not because guys shouldn't read romance, but because I just don't like reading romance novels. I'm confident about my masculinity, so reading romance novels shouldn't be a problem for me, but I didn't enjoy this, so reading romance is not going to happen very often.

This is my very first Austen novel. My main 2015 reading goal would be to read more classics. I saw this lying around in my shelf, and conside
leynes
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally didn't expect Northanger Abbey to be as cute as it was. I don't necessarily enjoy romance novels but this one really spoke to me. Who would've thought that my stone cold heart could be warmed like this? ;)

But let's start off with a minor critcism. I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing style. It felt juvenile and unexperienced to me. That might not be all that surprising since Northanger Abbey is Austen's debut. Her writing suffered from endless repetitions of the same phrases (e.g.
Piyangie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Northanger Abbey is a charming story that revolves around a young, innocent, and naive "heroine" (to use Austen's word), Catherine Morland. True to Austen's famous quotation that "If adventures will not befall a young Lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad", The story progresses with Catherine taking an adventurous journey from her home in Fullerton to Bath and then to a Gothic Abbey in Gloucestershire. In her journey, she comes to understand the people and world around her, of wha ...more
Idarah
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, classics
It's been some time since Jane and I communed. The reason: the only major works of hers that I've yet to read are Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park, my least favorites based on their film adaptations. If your first encounters with the Austen adaptations include all of the BBC's remastered collection from the early 2000s, then consider yourself fortunate. Before then, many of us Austenites we're left to scour through various adaptations and hope for the best.

My first encounter with Northanger A
Emer (A Little Haze)
The trashiest of Austen's novels. Easy to read, utterly ridiculous and it's got Henry Tilney... Love it 👍🏻

So I've been having a crisis of conscience recently. I decided that maybe my love for Austen was waning. That maybe she wasn't all she was cracked up to be. So when Gabby suggested this Austen buddy read I thought okay. Let's stop wondering and see if I could be as much into Austen now as I was as a teenager.

Northanger Abbey is Austen's gothic parody. On one hand she sends up these expected
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really really REALLY enjoyed this. I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The only thing that was a bit of a challenge for me was the writing style. It was hard for me to get used to it. What helped me was reading it along with an audio book. It really helped me stay on track with the story.
Teresa
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread -- I read it in this edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

Especially when compared to, say, Mansfield Park, which I also reread recently, this is a minor work. But still there is much to contemplate here: the lack of—and need for—good education for females; that being taught how to think helps overcome this lack; the elements of this early work showing us what Austen’s fiction is not like. If all that makes this short novel sound didactic, I’ve misled you. Humor abounds in thi

• Jane Eyre
  • Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  • Cranford
  • The Castle of Otranto
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • The Secret Garden
  • Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Middlemarch
  • A Christmas Carol
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentr

Articles featuring this book

Have you ever thought your smart devices are spying on you? This is a thoroughly modern fear that Ruth Ware’s new book, The Turn of the Key , pl...
“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.” 48369 likes
“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” 21086 likes