Start by marking “Encounter at Farpoint” as Want to Read:
Encounter at Farpoint

Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,137 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
WHERE THE ADVENTURE BEGAN...
CAPTAIN'S LOG, STARDATE 41254.7: The U.S.S. Enterprise™ is en route to Cygnus IV -- the edge of the known galaxy. There, we will rendezvous with the ship's new first officer and the other command personnel and proceed with out mission: discover the truth about Farpoint Station, a starbase facility built by the inhabitants of Cygnus IV, a starb
Published August 1st 2000 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Encounter at Farpoint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encounter at Farpoint

Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
The novelization adds some scenes of backstory and character background not in the episode, some of which would be challenged by later canonical story developments (for example, Data's origins). As with the episode itself, the story takes a while to get going, but Gerrold does a nice job with his descriptions and overall prose line, particularly considering what I'm sure was a compressed writing schedule. There are a few repetitions and at least one typo ("Pickard") but it's pretty minor stuff. ...more
Jason Vedder
I was perusing the books at Thrify's which is a used Goodwill type of place and spotted this book and remembered hey I had that book. I think I actually bought it in Jackson, Mn at a pharmacy/dime store. Late 87 was everything Star Trek TNG for awhile. I also got the Starlog Press Star Trek TNG magazine there as well (Patrick Stewart on the cover, posters and synopsis of the first few episodes.) Encounter at Fairpoint novelization was a quick read for me. I don't recall much about it, but know I ...more
J.
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Ostensibly, the novelization of the pilot episode of ST:TNG. Really, could have been a script with notes. There was a little extra, things from certain perspectives. There were a few inaccuracies, and the ever irritation contractions used by Data. I mostly just want to watch the episode again. Very easy read, felt like comfort food.
Arwen
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the novelization of the very first Next Generation episode. I like Star Trek books, and the Next Generation is like family to me... I feel like I know them all so well. But this book had inconsistencies with the major TNG story lines, and then the author had the audacity to call Wesley Crusher unattractive. For someone who grew-up with a crush on Crusher this is nearly unforgivable.
Kati
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really well written novelization. It's always great to get some insight into what the characters on-screen are actually thinking at any given point.
Abraham Ray
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans!
Great Star Trek book based upon the first next generation series show!
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Encounter at Farpoint is the book based on the first two-hour episode of the television show. The characters are a little rough, as their development has not fully occurred. Picard is quick to anger. Wesley is not seen for the genius he is to become. Dr. Crusher is a little standoffish.

Tasha and Worf and ready to attack everything. Geordi is fresh out of the Academy. And Data is very robot-like in his responses to questions. I originally read this book back in 1988, a little over a year after t
Garrett Shepard
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Star Trek Book Marathon Book 1
I started with this since this is the first story to be told in the TNG era (my favorite). While true to the episode, I gave this particular TNG a mediocre rating due to the way it was laid out. Since I knew the story before hand, it helped me keep track of the story, but for someone who never watched the episode, I would find it confusion how the author jumped from scene to scene in the middle of chapters. Perhaps that is the nature of a TV to book adaptation, I ju
Jesse Booth
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
My first Next Generation novel... What a fun way to start! I love the pilot episode, so reading through this book added another dimension to the story telling.

Yes I gave it 4 stars. I'm biased. I love Star Trek, especially The Next Generation. The writing wasn't particularly fabulous, but it was far from bad, too. There were obvious continuity issues (Data's history, for example), but it is easy to overlook those, as the book was likely written before the other seasons had come out.

If you are a
Rich Meyer
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
While the first adaptation of the second Star Trek series, this book is definitely one of the lesser works in the entire Trek canon. There's a little more background information than in the episode, but it's just mightily dull, even with the addition of Q and all the introductions. Much like that first episode, the appearance of Dr. McCoy is the highlight of the book. Nowadays, I doubt the series could've been sold on the strength of a pilot episode like this ... it's just too cliched.
⚜️Trea
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenges-2015
This was basically a novelization of the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It wasn't too bad, but not a full length novel either. There were also some things that happened that were not the same as the pilot episode that aired, which I found annoying. However, I did like seeing some of the thought processes of the characters and more of their motivations for their actions, which we don't really get to see in the episode. All in all, it was an entertaining way to spend an afternoon ...more
Joshua Warren
A fairly well written adaptation of the Gene Roddenberry, D. C. Fontana screenplay. It doesn't really add anything new to the story other than some extra character details and some insight to their thoughts.
I personally enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoy watching the episode (maybe even a bit more due to all the extra details) and as a collector of Star Trek related books this is a must have.

If you're a fan of Star Trek TNG you'll definitely enjoy this novelization of the Pilot episode as lo
Farah
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The meat of the book is brilliant just like the series. No one beats Star Trek in the philosophical and sociological department, from Q to Data. However, the writing style lacks in many ways. Too much tell rather than show and quite a bit of passive voice for my personal taste. If you're not bothered by mechanics and you're a Trek fan, you would most probably be thrown into a nostalgic state and enjoy this book for what it represents.
Anna
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, star-trek
Really clunky in places, writing-wise, but that's kind of to be expected from novelisations, where the author is pretty much sitting with a script in his lap making notes in the margins while wearing out the rewind button on his VCR remote to get the action he's describing. Data's history is all messed up here, also. Wonder if the character background info came from the series bible. Because that's one book I'll love to have a look at!
Reuben Herfindahl
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may have read this before, my copy is certainly beat up enough. But if so I don't recall, it would have been 1987 if so. Anyway, it's a better read that the episode in some ways. Gerrold knows Star Trek, and manages to put a bit of humor in a rather dry script. It's also very accurate as to what eventually aired, aside from a small side note about Data being created by aliens.
Dushan
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a Star Trek fan I read the book and found it to be amusing it gives the reader a look at the complex theme which a Star Trek story can have and it gave me needed information about the series Star Trek T.N.G like what a VISOR stands for it means as I found A Visual Instrument and Sight Organ Replacement, And that is an example of the nature of the book.
Jason Vargo
A novelization of the TNG pilot, Encounter at Farpoint should be defined as a good try. Gerrold adheres closely to the script, even with all of its imperfections. The things which are irritating in the aired episode are magnified in the written word (characterization, for instance). For completists and those who like to see "extra" scenes imagined by the author.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It takes a few turns the TV series would eventually ignore or side-step...but there's no denying that David Gerrold does for the TNG pilot what many good Doctor Who authors manage to do with THEIR TV novelizations: take a flawed production, and transform into a much more satisfying literary epic.
Johann Coetzer
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
contrary to other reviews here, this was actually a good read, very enjoyable book, keeps you captivated and wanting to finish the book to find out what is going to happen. If you are a fan of the Star Trek movies and not seen any of the TV series this fills in quite a few blanks of the Enterprise's crew and how they come to be on the ship, and adds some more info on Captain Picard
Yves
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, star-trek
Ce roman est l'adaptation du premier épisode de la Série The Next Generation de la saga de Star Trek. je n'ai jamais eu la chance de voir la série et ce roman m'a permis de m'introduire aux personnages de la série.

L'histoire n'est pas trop compliqué mais sert d'introduction à la série. Ce roman me sera utile pour continuer à lire les livres de TNG.
Daniela
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, sci-fi, sold
Another great book from the Star Trak series, this time the Next generation. This book is the Czech translation of the Encounter at Farpoint. I like the ST series as a movie, TV series and the book series too. There is always something new to learn about the mankind :-)
Nathan Burgoine
Did you see the first episode of The Next Generation? The one with the jellyfish aliens? And the Bandi? And Counsellor Troi's intergalactic cheerleader outfit? You did? Then you've read this.

Teen me, on the other hand, needed to read it over and over and over again, because Star Trek.
Blair Hodgkinson
Frankly, it's been a long time since I read this, but my impression was that it filled in a lot of the details that were missed in the actual broadcast version, making it superior to what was, in hindsight, a lacklustre premiere for a great show.
Camille
The novelization of the first Star Trek: The Next Enterprise episode. A pretty quick read and gives you a bit more insight into background of each character, but very little.
Tristan Kusnierek
Followed pretty close the the TV Show.

You have to love Q, still one of the best characters.
Adrienne Kern McClintock
Had some good bits that weren't in the episode. I've thought of blue whipped cream desserts ever since.
Angel
Made for a good fun reading at the time I read it. It's the novelization of the pilot episode. I read it pretty fast, but I had seen the TV episode.
Joy
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is a novelization of the pilot episode for Star Trek The Next Generation. It's a decent novelization.

David Gerrold, incidentally, is the man responsible for Tribbles.
Travis
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book adaption of the first 'Next Generation' episode and smoothes over the rough spots and uneven acting to give us a pretty solid Star Trek story.
Randy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novelization of the ST: Next Generation pilot.
  • Unification (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Descent (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Emissary
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)