Start by marking “Astonishing X-Men: Storm” as Want to Read:
Astonishing X-Men: Storm

Astonishing X-Men: Storm

(Storm (2006) #1-6)

Storm is an orphaned street urchin, living by her wits on the unforgiving plains of Africa as she struggles to harness her developing mutant powers. Black Panther, the warrior prince, is embarking on his rite of passage as he ponders the responsibility of his future. But what sparks will occur when their paths cross?
Hardcover, Book Market Edition, 160 pages
Published January 17th 2007 by Marvel (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Astonishing X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astonishing X-Men

Brown Girl Reading
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This is my first real Marvel comic although I know and have heard a lot about the character for quite some time. Storm happens to be my favourite character. The story was written by Eric Jerome Dickey and I must admit that enticed me to get this one.The cover is striking and beautiful. I didn't know exactly the story of Storm and this comic let's us know a bit more about her past. I hoped to learn a bit more details about how she actually got her powers but that wasn't the focus of the story. Th ...more
Tiamatty
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, x-men
Back in the early '80s, in an Marvel Team-Up, Chris Claremont wrote a story that showed how Storm and Black Panther first met. In that story, a young Ororo, just discovering her powers, rescued a young T'Challa. Eric Jerome Dickey seems to have decided that the idea of a girl rescuing a boy was just silly, so he did away with that, and had T'Challa rescue Ororo. Repeatedly. Storm was always depicted as a strong, independent woman who was capable of taking care of herself. Dickey turned her into ...more
Winter Sophia Rose
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing, Deep & Amazing Illustrations!! An Excellent Read! I Loved It!
HeavyReader
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommended to HeavyReader by: Tony
Tony turned me on to this comic which tells the story of how Storm and the Black Panther meet and fall in love.

The art is fantastic, really, really lovely, and the story is good too.

I thought it was neat that Storm (the narrator) talks about getting her period as if it is totally normal (which it really is).

I thought it was a bit creapy that Storm is supposed to be twelve but looks like an 18 year old woman (and a comic book fantasy 18 year old woman at that) and has sex with the Black Panther.
Bailey
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The bravest of us own no powers. The bravest of us fight wars with the truth.
-Storm

This book was a beautiful story about the well known super hero, Storm. For six years of her life, all Storm knew was love. This changed with her parents' tragic death as a result of war. Resorting to a hard life on the streets, she became a thief. No longer could she look up to her parents for guidance. Now, she only had herself, Teacher, and fellow orphans. Currently, several years later she has met T'Challa,
Adriel
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
When I found out after the fact that Storm and Black Panther had gotten married I was confused as to where it came from and after reading this I feel much the same. I am annoyed and frustrated that they felt they needed to put the two of them together and that they had to make up a non-existent back story to fix the oddness of it all. Dickey does a lovely job of showing African life in a touching and heart wrenching way. This story would be lovely if it wasn't for the existence of a love story b ...more
Iona Sawyer
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book
Whether you are a comic book reader or not this is a must read for all. As they say a book tells a story so much more. Marvel comics couldn't have picked a better author to tell the story of the Storm from X-Men and The Panther.
sixthreezy
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
Way better than I had imagined it would be. Really cool origin story for Storm and Black Panther. Though it's almost kind of a romantic/love story, I really did enjoy it. It was a perfect kind of tie-in with these two characters, I could not have been any more surprised with my enjoyment.
Sadaf Sagheer
Semi cute, semi weird account of Tiny Storm and Tiny T'challa (dating?) as teenagers for five whole minutes.
Nadia
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mutants
Well.

This book retells a story about Storm and Black Panther from Marvel Team-Up 100.**

In that story, 12 year old Storm saves a young Black Panther from a bunch of white South Africans, in this version it's the other way around (the short lived 2000s Black Panther cartoon has it this way too.) Storm is a damsel in distress multiple times in this book and Storm as a damsel in distress is a bad thing.

T'Challa is more well rounded and his interests are varied, they have him hearing stories of refu
Kamilah
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
So am I the only one who had a problem with 12 year old Ororo Munroe, aka Storm completely have sex for the first time in the way that she did? First of all, she's too young--however, she's drawn to look much older than she actually is. So much so that I thought there was a time-jump into the future that I overlooked. I think it's cool how the author normalized her having a period but I did not approve of her sexual behavior, it was advanced and inappropriate for the age that she is. (She claims ...more
Collin
May 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I absolutely love Storm in the X-Men movies and I was really excited for this to be sort of a part of an origin story, but it was disappointing. Mostly due to confusion. She's twelve years old, right? But she looks like that? And she's sleeping with some prince who is who knows how old? It's possible that there were missing pages, so maybe I shouldn't be too harsh. But if it wasn't missing pages, then it sort of weirds my sensibilities to be sexualizing a twelve-year-old girl.

I feel like I shou
Gregory
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I never knew this series existed. This is the first and only Dickey I've ever read and finally, we get a little more back story on Storm. Being exposed to the X-Men over the years, she was one of the characters I wanted to know more about. I didn't care much about Cyclops's past, I accepted Wolverine's past as one of those mysterious things that was supposed to remain mysterious (but then of course, they served that one up in full). Storm wasn't my favorite, but her story intrigued me more. I wo ...more
M
Jun 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
In order to justify the Black Panther/Storm marriage ceremony, Marvel tapped Eric Dickey to showcase a tale of their original meetings. Defying continuity and logic, we readers are left to suffer through this volume. Set in the days of both their youths, we have burgeoning thief Ororo being rescued by a questing T'Challa. As both kids are looking to pass into adulthood, they discover mutual attraction and common enemies. A truly scornful retcon of two powerful Marvel heroes used to explain a for ...more
Jenny
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-bingo
The readers of "Storm" will enjoy the well-written story by Eric Jerome Dickey that incorporated the beautiful illustrations by David Yardin and Lan Medina. "Storm" is about a young girl who lives on the street and starting to understand her mutant powers and after she has stolen a camera her roll coaster advantages started. I did enjoy reading "Storm" and looking at the beautiful illustrations. I recommend this book
Londa
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Now I want to get the other graphic novels to follow Storm and Black Panther's story. Great job Eric Jerome Dickey!
Steven Bell
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was so close to being good. It’s not bad but it could’ve been better. My issues are the very jarring tone. It wants to be a cutesy YA romance (between Storm and T’Challa) while also exploring horrific racism and actual rape.

The way the women in this comic are written is pretty terrible. Of course, there’s only two women and one of them hates Ororo and tries to kill her and is jealous of her relationship with T’Challa.

The romance with T’Challa couldn’t be more cliche. They meet and instantly
Aaron Wiener
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel-comics
This was great!

My expectations were low because Eric Jerome Dickey isn’t really a comic book writer, so I was worried he’d have continuity issues... but the man did his homework! This fits perfectly well into X-Men canon, and adds some welcome layers to Ororo’s story!

I loved the entire flow and structure of this tale. It was consistent and powerful.

The badguys were super bad. The heroics were exciting.

The art was also very beautiful.

Here’s my one gripe;

Most of the asskicking was done by T’chal
Tally
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is that I need more?! Never read anything about Storm and this is definitely a nice start. Only thing I may dislike is how she thought she was a woman just because she had sex, yet I do understand that in African culture that very well may be the thing. I can't really judge a culture I don't know much about. This is a perfect opportunity to educate myself on the topic.
I do love how well everything was written but I want so much more from the story. I may go on the look out for more
Michelle
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good book, it brings the superhero Marvel elements together with some of the realities that African counties have to face (of course in a very simplified way due to the space constraints). It is an engrossing origin story grounded in the hints of Storm's early life which have been hinted at over the years. It is violent with a great deal of death and harsh scenes which reflects what happens to the most vulnerable in those types of situations. The artwork is clean and detailed and adds ...more
Rachel
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. It had a ring of authenticity to it that a lot of comics don't seem to have. It addressed race issues as well as cultural differences and sexism, and I think the author strung it all together very well. This is a addition to Storm's story and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Novelist Dienne
I love this coming of age story for my favorite character. I wish it was more centered around her though. This would have been great if it was a second volume where it showed them together.
Martin Yankov
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This was... interesting. It's not about superheroes, but about two teenagers trying to survive in Africa. Also about the inner storm of first love. Great for Storm/Black Panther shippers as myself!
Stephanie
Illustrations were beautiful, but the story was meh.
Doug S.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge 2018

Task #8 A comic written or illustrated by a person of color
Xavier Guillaume
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Storm fans, X-men fans, Marvel fans.
Shelves: graphic-novel
I was on an X-Men from the library kick, so I decided to pick up this one. I've always been a huge fan of Storm, perhaps liking her even more than Cyclops. There was always something about Cyclops that I didn't like. Perhaps it was his cocky know-everything attitude about things. Storm always seemed to take a greater picture into perspective and not let personal emotions stand in her way as much.

If you don't know Storm's story, it's an amazing one. It tells you everything from how she lost her p
Trinika Abraham
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So we all know Storm, from the X-Men series; white haired, black woman who can control the weather. We are also aware of the new Marvel character coming out with his own movie (Black Panther). But did you know that these two characters fall in love?

Neither did I!!!

Okay to be honest, I sort of knew because my son is an avid comic book reader, and if you are too, then this is not news to you. However, everyone else can play catch up reading this amazing graphic novel.

Storm by Eric Jerome Dickey (t
Eric
I'm still in shock about the idea of Eric Jerome Dickey doing not just an origin story but STORM'S origin story. Honestly I wasn't expecting to much but I was surprised at the overall book. EJD did good job marrying his storytelling with the X-Men universe. I am glad it wasn't one of those experiences where I was thinking the entire time "oh my god what is he doing". I would pick up another book by him... well more specifically another graphic novel.

Side note, I'm not sure how much of the writi
Angel
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up mostly out of curiosity. For one, I like the X-Men series, so this seemed like a good item to read. Also, I saw that it was written by Jerome Dickey, and he has a pretty good reputation. So that was another reason. When I see a comic book company let a "regular" author write one of their stories, it catches my eye. Gaiman's work on Marvel 1602 was a very good example (then again, maybe not the best example of what I am trying to say here. Gaiman did write the Sandman series). An ...more
James Fant
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Of course I loved this book. It was written by EJD. Whether in a steamy romance or a comic novel, Eric Jerome Dickey does his thing. His narration is unmistakable. He adds a higher level to the story of Storm, one of an orphan trying to become a young woman. Dying to become a warrior.

Storm loses her parents and is rescued by Teacher, named for his teaching children to be pickpockets and safe crackers. But there's something different about Ororo. Her white hair. Her blue eyes. Her mastery of the
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wolverine: Enemy of the State, Volume 2
  • Wolverine and Jubilee: Curse of the Mutants
  • Black Silk (A Collection Of African American Erotica)
  • Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1: Nightmare
  • Voices from the Other Side (Dark Dreams, #2)
  • Mystique, Vol. 1: Dead Drop Gorgeous
  • Uncanny X-Men: The Extremists
  • X-Men: The Ultimate Guide
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • Astonishing X-Men: Kitty Pryde - Shadow & Flame
  • Love Is Stronger Than Pride: E. Lynn Harris's New Novella Plus Four Novellas from Debut Authors
  • Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey
  • X-Men Red, Vol. 1: The Hate Machine
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a

Storm (2006) (6 books)