Start by marking “The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar (The Three Investigators, #31)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar (The Three Investigators, #31)

The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #31)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  485 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
181 paged paperback "The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar" by M.V. Carey.
Published August 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar

Lea
M.V. Careys Stil ist wie immer angenehm und leicht zu lesen, aber der Fall ist einfach wirr und unverständlich. Das ging mit bereits beim Hörspiel so, ist leider in Buchform aber nicht wirklich besser. Keine der neuen Figuren kommt mir besonders nahe und eine richtige Spannung will sich leider auch nicht einstellen.
Quentin Wallace
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad mystery, but wasn't really one of the better one either. I have yet to go below three stars for a Three Investigators story, and probably never will. I just enjoy the characters too much, and even if the stories are a little formulaic they are still a fun read.

This one did have some international intrigue as the plot dealt with rebels in a Latin American Country, bank robbing, gun running, and a high speed boat chase to boot. I did enjoy it, just didn't think it was top tier. S
Money
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i love this book
Jeff Stephenson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
T3I Update: 31 read, 12 more paperbacks to go

This was the first T3I book without Alfred Hitchcock as the introducing character and lead mentor. Instead, a fictional movie director takes up the role and actually plays a part in the story very similar to what Alfred Hitchcock did in the very first T3I titles. The structure and all of the T3I elements were still present in this book, and the boys do a great job untangling the mystery. In most other respects, one would not spot much of a difference
Colton
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, 2017
Pretty underwhelming and forgettable. Skip it and stick to the earlier books in the series.
Elizabeth S
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
In this one, the three boys do more "real" detective work than we usually see them do. In my opinion, Carey's earlier contributions to the series were quite weak. However, his writing and his portrayal of the boys has improved to the point that I think this is one of the best of the whole series.

The interesting part of this book is the introduction of Hector Sebastian. Originally the series used Alfred Hitchcock as a character who introduced the write-up of the boys' adventures. After Hitchcock'
Robert Stewart
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Probably the least enjoyable of the 3I books. At around #30 the series went into a slump, with the writers putting little or no creativity into the stories. The publishers really messed up by accepting such awful stories when they should have either brought in new writers or made the older ones put a lot more into their work. It seems that by the 1980s they believed that the new stories would just sell on the back of the older ones and let it go at that. A pity. This book has a very weak plot an ...more
Nadja
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörspiel
Am Ende leider wieder ein bisschen zu dramatisch für meinen Geschmack. Ansonsten aber ein spannender Fall.
Eva
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
wah cerita kali ini kayaknya byk bgt scene-nya. ditambah lagi trio detektif lebih byk kerja individu. ok lah tp jadi berkurang kocaknya >.< ke-khas-annya getho
Yavanna
I read a lot of the three investigators in my early teens, when I was between 11 and 14. I think I read the whole shelf of the library, where those books were kept :) but I remember only a few ...
  • The Mystery of the Purple Pirate (The Three Investigators, #33)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
Also known as Mary V. Carey
Personal: Born May 19, 1925, in New Brighton, England; brought to the United States in 1925, naturalized citizen in 1955; daughter of John Cornelius (an engineer) and Mary Alice (Hughes) Carey. Home address in 1993 was 3748 Birch St., Ventura, CA.

Ms Carey passed away in 1994.

Education: College of Mount St. Vincent, B.S., 1946.

Religion: Roman Catholic

Career: Coronet, New
More about M.V. Carey...

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)