Start by marking “The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar (The Three Investigators, #31)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar (The Three Investigators, #31)

The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar

(Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #31)

A wallet dropped by a scar-faced beggar sets the Three Investigators on the trail of bank robbers.
Published August 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar

Start your review of The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar (The Three Investigators, #31)
Lea
M.V. Careys Stil ist wie immer angenehm und leicht zu lesen, aber der Fall ist einfach wirr und unverständlich. Das ging mit bereits beim Hörspiel so, ist leider in Buchform aber nicht wirklich besser. Keine der neuen Figuren kommt mir besonders nahe und eine richtige Spannung will sich leider auch nicht einstellen.
MaggyGray
Einer meiner Lieblingsfälle bzw. -folgen. Die Hörspielfolge ist auf Grund ihrer unaufgeregten Sprecher schon sehr angenehm, das Buch dazu hat mich gefesselt.
Vor allem die Beschreibung ganz am Anfang des Blinden war sehr atmosphärisch. Generell einer der früheren Fälle, die in typischer Drei ??? Art einen relativ einfachen und leicht nachzuvollziehenden Hintergrund bilden, und vielleicht gerade dadurch spannend umgesetzt werden konnten.
Quentin Wallace
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad mystery, but wasn't really one of the better one either. I have yet to go below three stars for a Three Investigators story, and probably never will. I just enjoy the characters too much, and even if the stories are a little formulaic they are still a fun read.

This one did have some international intrigue as the plot dealt with rebels in a Latin American Country, bank robbing, gun running, and a high speed boat chase to boot. I did enjoy it, just didn't think it was top tier. S
Elizabeth S
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
In this one, the three boys do more "real" detective work than we usually see them do. In my opinion, Carey's earlier contributions to the series were quite weak. However, his writing and his portrayal of the boys has improved to the point that I think this is one of the best of the whole series.

The interesting part of this book is the introduction of Hector Sebastian. Originally the series used Alfred Hitchcock as a character who introduced the write-up of the boys' adventures. After Hitchcock'
Cliff
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It's an interesting choice by M.V. Carey to choose to actually involve Hector Sebastian into this case. The unfortunate issue is that she had inadvertently ruined the publisher's intent to ret-con the previous books to excise Alfred Hitchock. It's clearly stated that this is where they first met Hector Sebastian and that they were upset at Hitchcock's passing.

Meanwhile, it's also of note that the writers have elected to accept that these books are concurrent with the time of their writing. Which
Jeff Stephenson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
T3I Update: 31 read, 12 more paperbacks to go

This was the first T3I book without Alfred Hitchcock as the introducing character and lead mentor. Instead, a fictional movie director takes up the role and actually plays a part in the story very similar to what Alfred Hitchcock did in the very first T3I titles. The structure and all of the T3I elements were still present in this book, and the boys do a great job untangling the mystery. In most other respects, one would not spot much of a difference
Red Heaven
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Once we're past Shark Reef, we're into the weaker section of the series, although (as some have noted) M.V. Carey's work earlier in the series wasn't particularly strong. This book is a mixed bag. The mystery - a beggar with a scarred face - is not up there with a stuttering parrot, talking skull or even a sinister scarecrow. Despite this lackluster set-up, the book moves along ok, but (as with other Carey entries) gets a bit draggy and a chore to read, before a memorable big bang ending. ...more
Colton
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, reviewed
Pretty underwhelming and forgettable. Skip it and stick to the earlier books in the series.
LobsterQuadrille
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids, nostalgic 3 Investigators fans
The Mystery of the Scar-Faced Beggar marks the very first appearance of the (fictional) mystery writer Hector Sebastian in the T3I series, and aside from this landmark, it is another enjoyable adventure from M.V. Carey, involving South American revolutions, a woman who has prophetic dreams, and the mysterious panhandler of the title.

As often happens when I read M.V. Carey's contributions to the series, I found myself enjoying a few of the side characters almost as much as the main trio. Shelby
RemoCPI
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que este fue el último que leí de los tres investigadores de Hitchcock. No sé cómo han envejecido, pero los recuerdo mucho más elaborados que Los Hollister o Los cinco o Los siete secretos. Hoy en día tendrían un búnker informatizado, los tres investigadores. En aquella época se limitaban a ocupar una roulotte bien escondida. Los malos eran malísimos y ponían en riesgo la vida de los investigadores en ocasiones. Me encantaban.
Ibnatul Ula
Menurut saya, cerita kali ini terasa lambat alurnya. Dari awal, susah menemukan benang merah yang terjalin dari setiap kejadian, jadi, yah, endingnya merupakan sebuah plottwist yang cukup mengejutkan haha.
Elaine
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading this series from my childhood.
Paxton Holley
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Read a lot of this series in elementary school. Loved it. Reading it to my son. Lots of fun. Good mysteries, good characters.
Book collector
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a generic review of the series rather than the individual books. A small comment at the end of some reviews will be added.
The three investigators series was another, along with the hardy boys, that my father bought for me. Aimed at an age range of around 12 rather than the hardy boys slightly older audience, I enjoyed these more at first before moving onto the hardy boys when I was older. I first read these when I was around 9 and then like the hardy boys kept reading them when i was ol
Robert Stewart
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Probably the least enjoyable of the 3I books. At around #30 the series went into a slump, with the writers putting little or no creativity into the stories. The publishers really messed up by accepting such awful stories when they should have either brought in new writers or made the older ones put a lot more into their work. It seems that by the 1980s they believed that the new stories would just sell on the back of the older ones and let it go at that. A pity. This book has a very weak plot an ...more
Money
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i love this book
Nadja
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörspiel, time-2016
Am Ende leider wieder ein bisschen zu dramatisch für meinen Geschmack. Ansonsten aber ein spannender Fall.
Eva Inzu
wah cerita kali ini kayaknya byk bgt scene-nya. ditambah lagi trio detektif lebih byk kerja individu. ok lah tp jadi berkurang kocaknya >.< ke-khas-annya getho
Yavanna
I read a lot of the three investigators in my early teens, when I was between 11 and 14. I think I read the whole shelf of the library, where those books were kept :) but I remember only a few ...
Nishat
Siostra Stefana
Aug 03, 2014
Irham Nurrahman
Apr 15, 2015

• The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, #12)
  • The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #6)
  • Die drei ??? - Die Originalmusik
  • The Great Airport Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #9)
  • Reel Trouble (The Three Investigators: Crimebusters, #7)
  • Die drei ??? und der verschollene Pilot (Die drei Fragezeichen, #162)
  • Sky Sabotage (Hardy Boys, #79)
  • Aku: Berdasarkan Perjalanan Hidup Dan Karya Penyair Chairil Anwar
  • The Midnight Fox
  • My Teacher Is an Alien (My Teacher Is an Alien, #1)
  • Tar Baby
  • The Valet and the Stable Groom
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Razones para la alegría
  • Línea de fuego
  • Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades Revisited
  • The Yellow on the Broom
Also known as Mary V. Carey
Personal: Born May 19, 1925, in New Brighton, Cheshire (now Merseyside), England; brought to the United States in 1925, naturalized citizen in 1955; daughter of John Cornelius (an engineer) and Mary Alice (Hughes) Carey. Home address in 1993 was 3748 Birch St., Ventura, CA.

Ms Carey passed away in 1994.

Education: College of Mount St. Vincent, B.S., 1946.

Religion: Roman Ca

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)

News & Interviews