Start by marking “Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey & Persuasion” as Want to Read:

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  503 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A collection of 6 of Jane Austen's most famous works; Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion
Published May 11th 2009

Be the first to ask a question about Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey & Persuasion

Nathan
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read four of Jane Austen’s six novels at various times in the past, but when I got an invitation two months in advance to participate in a panel discussion of this author, I decided to take the opportunity to read all six novels in order. This yielded a fresh and increased appreciation for Austen as one of the rightful heirs to Shakespeare for her rich characterization and penetrating insight.

Austen sits at the turning point between two literary ages – the aristocratic, which dealt with he
Miriam
Jan 19, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still in the process of reading this collection, but I will add a new part of the review everytime I'm done with another book.

1. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE - STOLZ UND VORURTEIL
I really liked the story of Pride and Prejudice. I started to read this book several times in English, but I never got pretty far. Now that I tried it in German it didn't took very long to read it. Even though Jane Austen wrote her books some time ago you can see that she understood how relationship worked back then and stil
Diane
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains all 6 of Jane Austen's novels: Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Mansfield Park, and Northanger Abbey. Now that I've read them all, I am totally a Jane Austen Fan. She has created some of the best heroines in her stories: Elinor Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility; Anne Elliot in Persuasion; Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice (sigh, also a shout out to Mr. Darcy); Emma Woodhouse in Emma; Fanny Price in Mansfield Park; and Catherine Morland in Nor ...more
donna
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In England, Jane is considered the 'Bard of Bath," mostly because her insights into human nature are nearly as acute as Shakespeare's. I bought a collected works because I love all of them and why the heck not?!?!?! This edition is awesome.

Here's a rundown on what I think:

Pride and Prejudice--SOOOOOO deserves its popularity and acclaim. Darcy and Eliabeth are the best. Jane's wit at it's greatest in her novels.

Sense and Sensibility--I personally find the Dashwood girls kind of boring and single
Jane Dmochowski
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jane Austen! True, the book has no real story, and Emma is fairly despicable in so many ways, but still, having just read it for my second or third time, I again could not wait for her to realize her true love was (the much, much older, almost like a brother) Mr. Knightly and for them to fall hopelessly in love. And in between I loved the humor, the beauty of the writing and pure honesty when it came to the ridiculousness of the elitism.
Ilaria
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Austen è in assoluto la mia scrittrice preferita...Partendo da Orgoglio e Pregiudizio con gli indimenticabili Elisabeth e Darcy,a Ragione e Sentimento con Marianne e Elinor,per poi passare per Mansfield Park (forse un po noioso),arrivando all'organizzatrice di matrimoni Emma,e alla paurosa Catherine Morland nella presa in giro del gotico,per finire con Persuasione,con la storia a lieto fine di Anne...Bellissimi,mi fanno venir voglia di tornare in quell'epoca...
Cheriwinkle
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I should say I have a collection with these novels in it. I am reading Northanger Abbey. I have seen the movie Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma and did not like the story at all. However, I'm going to try to read it and see if my opinion changes. My goal is to read everything of Jane Austen's as I adore Pride & Prejudice, Persuasion, Sense &Sensibility, and Mansfield Park.
Amy
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't own this set of leatherbound. I do have the complete works in one bound volume, though. I LOVE Jane Austin. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite. Then Emma and Sense & Sensibility, then Mansfield Park, then Persuasion and Northanger Abby.
Gail
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Had not really read them just pieces in college, so thought I would give it a go. I loved them I could not put them down. The diallogue reminds me of growing up in the south and even today. I must say that after Jane gets them engaged, she is done and ends the book, I wanted more!
Becky
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read most of these in high school. I had a great English teacher who loved Jane Austen. It is fun to try to sort out the characters that belong to each book- from memory as I go. I'm devouring them as quickly as my 4 children will allow me to do so.
Nina Leung
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my 3rd reading of this book. I love Jane Austen. There's really nothing more to be said. Perfection.
Cheryl  Rehaume Togashi
I have finished reading Pride and Prejudice and now I am reading Sense and Sensibility.
Sonni-Ann
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jane Austin Is my favorite author her stories never go out of style
Sylvia gunn
i heard great things about this book it just makes me want to read it
Bms3116aol.com
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O
Tess
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
old favorites that get better every time I read them
Dimple
Feb 11, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'd love to own this!
Sadaf
Gud stories
J Philpot
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nathan bought me the collection as a gift. I love to read these on Sundays.
Kimberley
Too sentimental and 'flowery' for me.
Astrid
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely perfect.
Emily Jones
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love that all of Jane Austin's amazing books are all in one. It's a great read!
Susan Ford
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Teach this book every year! What a wonderful look at life!
Martha
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the word slapping battle of the sexes:)
Andrea
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually read P&P and loved it so much!!! Working on Emma also...
Michelle
Love it so far! Watching the movie s has distorted my visions of these stories for good. I will always read book first.
Katherine
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luv-em all! Huge Jane Austen fan!
Laura Stenzel
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're about to take a transatlantic flight so I figured now is a good time to read the whole collection again. Is it wrong that my carry-on weighs more than I do? :)
Julie
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: voa
Sense and Sensibility: 4/5.
Pride and Prejudice: 3/5.
Mansfield Park: 2/5.
Emma: 2/5
Northanger Abbey:
Persuasion:
Traci
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should have the complete works of Jane Austen. She's a brilliant writer who tried many techniques in her work and always succeeded in writing a classic. Her books will never die.
  • The Third Life of Grange Copeland; Meridian; The Color Purple
  • The Brontë Sisters: The Complete Novels
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Stories for Christmas
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Amigurumi
  • The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)
  • Three John Silence Stories
  • Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Béatrix
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Alice Through the Looking Glass
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...