Start by marking “Leavings” as Want to Read:
Leavings

Leavings

No one writes like Wendell Berry. Whether essay, novel, story, or poem, his inimitable voice rings true, as natural as the land he has farmed in Kentucky for over 40 years.

Following the widely praised Given, this new collection offers a masterful blend of epigrams, elegies, lyrics, and letters, with the occasional short love poem. Alternately amused, outraged, and resigned
Published October 20th 2009 by Counterpoint (first published October 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Leavings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leavings

James Murphy
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LIKE SNOW

Suppose we did our work
like the snow, quietly, quietly,
leaving nothing out.

Lovely, isn't it? I've never read Wendell Berry before. I was pleased to see how attuned I am to his work. Part of it may be the South he writes about and is influenced by as well as the bucolic nature of his attentions. Another factor is that he thinks Kentucky but always with a cosmic and human perspective rather than concerning himself with the social or political thing Kentucky is. These poems are about man'
Sylvester
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, poetry
"In our consciousness of time
we are doomed to the past
The future we may dream of
but can only know it after
it has come and gone.
The present too we know
only as the past. When
we say "This now is
present, the heat, the breeze,
the rippling water," it is past.
Before we knew it, before
we said "now" it was gone.

If the only time we live
is the present, and if the present
is immeasurably short (or
long), then by the measure
of the measurers we don't
exist at all, which seems
improbable, or we
C. Hollis Crossman
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Berry's ability to filter love of nature through so many lenses that it never becomes boring or passé is truly awe-inspiring. His seeming antipathy toward anything hinting at technological progress or the human imprint on nature is a little harder to swallow. The difficulty doesn't arise from disagreement with Berry's sentiments (Blake's "dark satanic mills" are indeed hateful and ugly) so much as skepticism toward his conclusions. The agrarian idealism he promotes is great if you can attain it, ...more
J & J
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Katy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will be leaving how many beauties over looked?

***

I have not paid enough attention. I have not been grateful enough.

First time reading Mr. Berry. His work took my back 20 Years to a dorm room in North Carolina where I was trying to understand the works of A. R. Ammons. Both are Southern writers and you get the sense that never really left the farm.
Patti
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wendell Berry is mad, he has had enough of how things are going. He is not only writing about it, he protested with Bill McKibben and James Hansen at the Capitol Power Plant in Washington, D.C. re climate change.

Questionnaire
1. How much poison are you willing
to eat for the success of the free
market and global trade? Please
name your preferred poisons.

2. For the sake of goodness, how much
evil are you willing to do?
Fill in the following blanks
with the names of your favorite
evils and acts of hatred
Jen Arthur
I find it difficult to give a rating to books of poetry, so I'm refraining this time. I'd read some of Berry's poems in the past and loved them, which inspired me to check out a full book of his work. There are some in here that were really great and resonated with me (I earmarked several pages), as well as some entertaining letters. Others were just too preachy for me, with a message that hits you over the head. I usually prefer a bit more subtlety in poetry, even if I agree with the sentiment. ...more
Claudia Skelton
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspiring poems by a writer I have read for many years - essays, poetry, stories. His passion for nature is evident throughout. The second half are his Sabbath poems; poems of meditation and observation that he creates when he takes his regular Sunday morning walks. His elderly age is reflected in many of the thoughts of this book.
Charlsa
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is my first foray into Wendell Berry's writings. I read this book of poetry in small increments, about five minutes each morning. I was able to dwell on it for the remainder of the day. I think it is a good approach. Poetry is meant to be considered and savored, not engulfed. I enjoyed the words, imagery, and messages.
Jennifer Fitzpatrick
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“What I stand for is what I stand on” said Wendell Berry over 30 years ago...and his life’s work has conveyed that message. This simple collection of poems, letters, and prose celebrates nature, life, and love, and also clearly bemoans the loss of respect we humans have for the beauty that surrounds us. The Sabbath poems, inspired by Berry’s Sunday morning walks speak to the naturalist in each of us, evoking a spiritual connection to the land. Leavings is to be savored.
Rachel Dawson
I've heard about Wendell Berry from a fellow friend and writer, and when I stumbled upon this little collection of poems at the bookstore a few days ago, I couldn't resist. I absolutely loved it-- his simple yet intricate words struck deep chords in me as he tackled topics I feel strongly about with such an elegance. I cannot wait to read more from him.
Terri
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, poetry
While more hit-and-miss than some of the Berry's other works, this one contains some lovely love poems both to his wife and to the land. I found in some of the poems that his politics outweighed his word choices- and that's a pity. Taken as a whole, the book is worth reading, but not Berry's best.
Kristi
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lovely Picture

His passion for the earth and its creatures is made clear in this beautiful collection of work. He has a clear defined sense of space while marveling at how we best destroy it. An interesting and lovely journey.
sonnet
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book of poetry I've ever read. Truly beautiful. Highly recommended!
Diann
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, poetry
A beautiful collection of poems that highlight the best and worst of humanity and the impact on nature. A collection to savor and re-read.
Correen
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it

A rather interesting book of environmental poetry. Berry observes and interprets the rural life and he mourns assaults on healthy environments.
Antonio Gallo
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ho tratto dal libro una poesia "Questionario", quanto mai provocatorio ed imbarazzante per chi si sente responsabile del nostro pianeta, della qualità della vita che su di esso conduciamo e dei sentimenti che nutriamo per il suo e nostro futuro. Il poeta chiede a chi legge quanto veleno è pronto ad ingoiare pur di avere successo sul mercato libero e globale. Lo invita a riempire le caselle e gli spazi vuoti come in un questionario sulla vita che facciamo, in particolare specificare i mali prefer ...more
Kevin Naylor
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
After hearing many I respect talk about Wendell Berry I decided to give him a read. I took this book with me on a backpacking trip with my wife in Mt. Rainier over the summer. The book came to life in a way next to a creek and beneath the pines that it may not have simply sitting in my living room. His desire to help us slow down and value the present, the very things around us - nature especially -
aided me in my own moment of need to live presently.

There are a few lines/images from poems withi
Miri
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Couldn't muster the patience to give it the shot it probably deserved . . . Liked some of the poems, like "Questionnaire," "An Embarrassment," and "The Shining Ones," but came across hardly any that I could really get into. I'm with him on the environmental concerns but at the same time annoyed by his heavy-handed critiques (rich coming from me, I know)—I think it's because I get such a Ron Swanson feel from him (I am reading him on Nick Offerman's recommendation, after all). Berry's religiosity ...more
Tina
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some books of poetry can be consumed in a sitting or over a few days. Wendell Berry's words were so rich, so full of image and emotion that it felt best to nibble just a few small pages at a time, savoring each before moving on to the next. He moves us with the meanings in his words, but he also creates a world of art with the sounds of the words, sliding and tumbling into the mind's ear like the birdsongs featured in several of the poems.
Amy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
IX.

I go by a field where once
I cultivated a few poor crops.
It is now covered with young trees,
for the forest that belongs here
has come back and reclaimed its own.
And I think of all the effort
I have wasted and all the time,
and of how much joy I took
in that failed work and how much
it taught me. For in so failing
I learned something of my place,
something of myself, and now
I welcome back the trees.

-Wendell Berry
p. 96
Ryan
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This brief collection of poems can be digested in one sitting - but it shouldn’t. My first exposure to Berry was memorable and inspiring. He has the ability to write about a place, a landscape, a moment in life and you fell like you are sitting side by side. Amazingly clear and concise poetry - loved it! Reading “Givings” next!
Autumn
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I continue to adore Wendell Berry's works. A great new favorite of mine, and I look forward to reading more of his books. Like Mary Oliver, his work speaks to me- however, Berry speaks to the small country spirit that still resides in me after my college education.
Steven Kopp
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The most "provincial" of the three poetry books I last read (Life on Mars, Simic's Sixty Poems) but also the most explicitly philosophical. Sometimes it felt sanctimonious. I'll give Wendell Berry this: He made me want to take a long stroll by a river in the woods.
Charles Collyer
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A 2009 book of Berry's poetry. I like his poems, but prefer his essays and stories.
Ryan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful clarity of words and purpose.
Jessica Grove
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection of poems is a first in an effort to read more poetry. I've suddenly become a fan of poetry!
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have seen Wendell Berry quoted many times but have never read his words for myself. This was a nice collection of poems that I will keep close to my heart for years to come.
Benjamin
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
excellent poetry. Some of the themes/vocal points get a little repetitive by the end.
Rick
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
There is a perfect poem at the start and then a wide blend of quality thereafter from this unique American poet. Farmer, activist, poet, and teacher, Berry is also a husband, neighbor, Christian, and naturalist. All of these personas figure strongly in his work. Here is “Like Snow,” the perfect poem.

“Suppose we did our work / like the snow, quietly, quietly, / leaving nothing out.”

The political poem “Questionnaire” lists five survey-like questions for potential political leaders (one assumes fr
  • Red Bird
  • Astonishments: Selected Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • In the Next Galaxy
  • Pity the Beautiful: Poems
Wendell Berry is a conservationist, farmer, essayist, novelist, professor of English and poet. He was born August 5, 1934 in Henry County, Kentucky where he now lives on a farm. The New York Times has called Berry the "prophet of rural America."
“Shall we do without hope? Some days
there will be none. But now
to the dry and dead woods floor
they come again, the first
flowers of the year, the assembly
of the faithful, the beautiful,
wholly given to being.”