Start by marking “The Eyes Have It” as Want to Read:
The Eyes Have It

The Eyes Have It

It was quite by accident I discovered this incredible invasion of Earth by lifeforms from another planet. As yet, I haven't done anything about it; I can't think of anything to do. I wrote to the Government, and they sent back a pamphlet on the repair and maintenance of frame houses. Anyhow, the whole thing is known; I'm not the first to discover it. Maybe it's even under ...more
Published June 14th 2007 by TeknoBooks (first published June 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Eyes Have It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eyes Have It

Start your review of The Eyes Have It
Bill Kerwin

First published in Science Fiction Stories (1953), “The Eyes Have It” is perhaps the shortest of Philip Dick’s short stories. Although on the surface it appears to be a mere bagatelle, it is also a sophisticated exploration if the idomatic structures of the English language.

It is in the form of a monologue by a narrator who wishes to warn us about an imminent alien invasion. He appears to be paranoid, but claims to have evidence, which has found in the text of a novel he recently found abandoned
Katrina McCollough
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The inside of Philip K Dick's brain is an amazing place.
La Coccinelle
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, short-stories
So... somebody noticed those weird, disembodied eyeballs decades before I was even born! Whew. I'm glad I wasn't just imagining it.

This story is kind of hilarious to readers like me who can't figure out why certain writers seem to enjoy putting their characters' eyeballs through a literary version of CrossFit. Here's an excerpt from a review I wrote back in 2009, Blue Moon by Alyson Noël:

... the word you're looking for is "gaze"... not "eyes". When I see eyes grazing, raking, resting, and
Tristram Shandy
How to Read a Story?

The Eyes Have It is probably as deep as it is short, which would make it square in terms of geometry, but applying our everyday conceptions to PKD means one has got another think coming.

In this little story, we have got an unnamed first-person narrator who found a book on a bus and starts reading it. Seemingly harmless sentences like “his eyes moved from person to person”, containing cliché metaphors, set off the alarm bells in the narrator’s head because he takes them as
Gary
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Metonymy at the outer limits. Also, the amorphous structure and expectations of some science fiction.
Debbie Zapata
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gutenberg
A short short story, by an author I have seen mentioned many times but have never read. I will reserve judgment on the author's work in general until I can read more of his work, and longer pieces. This one was cute: an example of what can go wrong in a reader's mind if he takes the words on the page too literally.
Ariya
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes me quite a while to figure out what's going on and when I get his trick my mind goes like, "AWWWWWWWW!"
Muthuvel
Geeky Paranoid Protagonist playing literally with the workings of English words. Quite funny and enjoyable wearing his shoes.
Tracey
Aliens can pull off their body parts. Weird...
Isca Silurum
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Very short whimsical piece. In the hands of Pratchett it would be an amusing episode of word play, with PKD it is resonant of mental illness. Purely down to my reading history.
Joseph Inzirillo
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book. A short story written by Dick. His twisted view and sense of foreboding is absolutely on point! Great story.
Peter
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Read as a part of Minority Report and Other Stories

This was clearly a tongue in cheek, very short story which takes us through a man's thoughts as he takes phrases he reads in a book, like "He gave her a hand" and "Her eyes followed him up the stairs", literally. So the man thinks there's an alien race on earth that can take off their body parts and organs which inevitably leads to a humorous freak-out.
Michael Sorbello
This short story is an extreme example of taking a book too seriously. A man grows paranoid as he takes the words he reads in an eerie novel literally, seeing visions of the horrific words he reads in his surroundings and driving him wild with frenzied visions of fright. A bit silly in some areas, but the cleverness of the idea is worth applauding.
Lucia Némethová
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, short-stories
"I have absolutely no stomach for it." :)
The comicality of this super short short story is based on taking idiomatic language too literally.
Kori ☾
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, short-story
Oh wow, I feel a mental break down coming.
Marie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somewhat funny and interesting to think about. The belief in an alien invasion has shaped the way the narrator sees reality, even mediated through text. Could make for an interesting linguistics or philosophy tale.
Terence Blake
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
When I first read this early story of Philip K. Dick I found it pretty silly, but on reflection it is a perfect illustration of the interplay of alienation and estrangement that I find interesting in much science fiction. I recently listened to an interview with PKD where he claimed that one of his books was released as a mainstream novel in hardcover, and as a science fiction novel in paperback. The duality of status confirmed the duality of language that this text already highlights.

The story
Danny
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is such a cute little story. It's all about the use of idioms in English, and although the gimmick of taking these things literally isn't drowning with originality, it makes for a good laugh, at least for someone interested in language like me.

It is interesting, if rather logical, that our use of idioms is quite often related to our bodies. One thing is wondering about the effect - does it make us more disconnected and detached from our bodies? - but even more interestingly, it makes for
Cynthia Peña
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I was reading this amusing, short story while waiting for my clearance paper to be signed and was able to finish it even before I've acquired the signature. How literally the character took the lines, made up of metaphors and similes (ex. poor Bibney has lost his head...he has utterly no guts..etc), of the book he was reading made me giggle. According to the protagonist's understanding, the characters of the book he was reading were disintegrating into parts, encouraging him to think that they ...more
Stuart Aken
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Brilliant! Every writer should read this short.

Philip K. Dick is generally known for his excellent science fiction, of course. In this short and funny piece he makes a gentle but telling attack on those authors who fail to understand where the line is drawn between metaphor and reportage.

If you enjoy literary humour and have a taste for jokes made at the expense of those who don't quite understand how language should be used, you'll love this little gem. I did. Great fun; with a message for
C.S.  Ferrier
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This delightful little short story will only take you a few minutes to read, but it's brilliant. Dick plays up a theme of something we all do when reading a novel, misunderstand and take to literally the context of bad writing.

While reading this I guffawed several times, lough enough to interrupt my cats naps. Take ten minutes and read this, you won't regret it.
Alpha Lim
Haha. This was hilarious. I guess this is how an author trolls another.

The author is clearly being a Dick in writing this lolworthy satirical essay.

Excellent educational stuff for writers and aspiring writers.
Velma
This is why I seek out PKD, for satirical, humorous little gems like this one.
Dom Fantazzi
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny, short and interesting. Take 10 minutes out of your day and read it.
Denise
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Free podcast. Amusing little story, reminds me of Mark Twain.
Belinda Carvalho
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education-ideas
This is fun..great one for use in school, good example of sci-fi..
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Read as part of Minority Report and Other Stories.

Extremely short. Also written in 1953.

Seems PKD has a lot of weirdness going on in his head.
Clair
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Quirky amusing short story.
Mostafa Sharaf
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I really like the writing style ..though it is very short
Eric Mesa
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is so short, the Gutenberg license at the end takes up the majority of the pages, but it's still a fun story. Or, well it is to me and I imageine my boss would also love it. But we're both degenerates who LOVE puns. This is also a great short story for kids around 3rd or 4th grade when they'd really and truly understand all the idioms being used. Essentially, a short story from the 1950s in which the protagonist reads a book containing a bunch of English idioms that convinces him the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Evolution of ...: The Eyes Have It - Philip K. Dick 13 30 Sep 10, 2018 03:59AM

• A la deriva
  • Ye Goode Olde Ghoste Storie
  • The Magic Shop
  • Old Rambling House
  • Dejar a Matilde
  • Aceite de perro y otros cuentos macabros
  • Polaris
  • The School
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. ...more