Start by marking “Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1)

Dangerous Highlander

(Dark Sword #1)

The bold and passionate Lucan MacLeod--one of three brothers cursed by dark magic for eternity—is driven by desire for the one woman he dare not let himself possess...

He is magnificently strong—and dangerously seductive. One of the fiercest of his clan, Lucan MacLeod is a legend among warriors, inspiring fear in man and woman alike. For three hundred years, he has locked h
Mass Market Paperback, 335 pages
Published December 29th 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published December 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Highlander, please sign up.

Start your review of Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1)
Sans
This could have been awesome. I mean, there were cursed Highland warriors, possessed by ancient gods that had been sealed in the depths of Hell. That should be epic, right? Yeah, not so much.

The short of the story is: Highlanders want the Roman armies to leave their lands. There are good and bad druids. The bad druids call up ancient gods who have been banished to Hell to possess the strongest warriors and fight off the Romans. But the gods don't want to stop fighting and turn on each other. So
Vivisection
I'm not saying this book was boring.

Hero: My boner burns for this woman like no other but I'm a monster, no one could love me.
Heroine: I can love you.
Hero: NO I'm a monster doomed to live alone but my boner for you will never die.
Heroine: I love monsters.
Hero: NO! I must take care of everything because I am a nurturing, sensitive alpha male living in 17th century Scotland. My boner and I will suffer alone for centuries.
Heroine: Lucan, you're dreamy let me make you dinner.

Seriously. The hand wr
MelissaB
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MelissaB by: Kathleen Young
Dangerous Highlander is the first book in the new Dark Sword series about immortal Highland warriors who are possessed by ancient gods. I enjoyed this first entry into the series, except for a few parts that could have been better, but overall I think there is a lot of potential for interesting stories with warriors who were introduced in this first book.

Cara grew up an orphan in the Scottish Highlands after both her parents were killed when she was five. She has decided to join the nunnery wher
Laurie Garrison
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes paranormal
This is my first book by Donna Grant I have read, I really enjoyed it, It has lots of romance, passion and dangerous immortal warrior’s that has a different God with in each warrior. The book really pulled me in to the Druid story line, it was fresh and didn’t drag.

**Spoilers below**

Cara is alone in the world her parents was killed when she was very young, a nuns find her and talks her in she lives in a nunnery by the MacLoeod Castle. Cara has heard tails of the warriors but doesn’t believe th
♡Karlyn P♡
2.5 stars. Liked it, but didn't love it. A great premise for a story, but at times I felt like I was reading a comic book as the narration and dialog felt over-done. I also got tired of being told on every other page how hot they are for each other. It interupted the flow of the story at times. Not sure if I'll continue with the series. ...more
Sammy Loves Books
2.5 stars rounded down. I'm hopeful the next one is better. I so love Highlanders. ...more
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books
I loved this. The ending is perfect for the setup of the next book and I look forward to reading Forbidden Highlander
Valerie
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book, this series is where things began for a favorite series of mine. Dark Kings spins off from the Dark World series, in which this series, Dark Swords, begins. Because of my love of the Dark Kings series, I have come gone back to read where things started.

I know of the Warriors from their interactions with the Kings in the Dark Kings series. It's strange to see them as they were before but interesting. The Dark Swords is a historical series that takes place in the 16th century. There are
Kathleen
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Well, I must say I REALLY liked this book and look forwards to the next in this series. The story was very interesting yet it was a simple read. I enjoyed all the paranormal elements too. The romance was really good and the love scenes were well done. The ending was also well done and left me wanting more, I'm glad that this is going to be a series. ...more
☆.。.:*・°☆Love2Read♡HEAs☆.。.:*・°☆ {Anne}
Rated 4.5 Stars

Well, that was a fun read! Had all the exciting aspects of a great Historical PNR - Dark Magic, 3 Sexy Highlander Brothers, Immortality, Druids, Evil Incarnate, Warriors, Old Castles, Monsters, Love, takes place in Scotland, & of course has a HEA!

On a funny note, for years, I always thought Donna Grant wrote only "Clean" books and therefore didn't read her material (cuz I liked the sexy stuff). Now, that I'm menopausal (yuck) and not very interested in the sex & tell scenes, I fin
Jen Davis
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
When one of my blog readers suggested I try a Donna Grant book, I looked her up on Goodreads and was pretty impressed to see how many books she has with a four star rating or above. So I picked up this first installment in her Dark Sword series. Though it had some engaging moments, I am sad to say that this book wasn’t a big hit for me. I liked the concept, but it suffered from a classic case of insta-love, paired with characters which felt more built in a mold, than uniquely forged.

The set-up i
Jamieson
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Generally, historical and paranormal romance don’t mix.

They are two separate genre’s that don’t get along with each other very well. When I’ve read historical paranormal romance before, one of the two elements falls flat. Either the historical setting takes a background to the paranormal story. Or the paranormal part of the story is overshadowed by the setting.

Either way, it is normally a genre that doesn’t work very well.

So imagine my surprise when I picked up Dangerous Highlander by Donna Gran
Debra Johnson
Dangerous Highlander by Donna Grant
Genres: Adult, Historical, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance.

I usually round down anything that is a .5. Above that I round up. I had problems rating how I feel about this one. While I feel it deserves more than 2 stars, or even 2.5, it is not a full 3 stars either. This is due to all the negatives I found in the story. It is the positives I found that finally had me clicking 3 stars.

It started out interesting. Slowly it became a quagmire of problems.
T
Lover of Romance
Cara lost her parents when she was just a girl, and was found by some villagers while wandering the forest.. Now she is a grown woman, and is planning on being a nun, when a child gets sick, she goes in search of herbs. But she also has a curiosity about MacLeod Castle, while getting too close, she ends up falling down a cliff, and is rescued by Lucan MacLeod. Lucan, and his brothers, are known among legends and myths. The only ones to survive a attack on their clan, and have god's put in them, ...more
Barbara ★
Absolutely spectacular! The three warriors of Clan MacLeod (Fallon, Lucan, Quinn) have been captured by Deirdre and the evil God of revenge forced inside them. This is Lucan's story. The brothers have escaped and spent the last 300 years hiding from the evil druid Deirdre in an effort to survive. They haven't really lived in all this time as they were just hiding inside their castle and haven't come out in over 300 years. Can you imagine?

When Cara stumbles upon the cliffs by MacLeod castle, with
Donna (BLHmistress)
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to read this series for awhile now, I have seen many good reviews and they have been on my wishlist/TBR for what seems like forever. I finally bought this one out of whim one day. Not sure why hot cover, story called to me but I am sure glad I did. My only regret is that I didn't start or buy this book sooner.

This book combines both of my favorite genres in one, paranormal historical. I was certainly surprised just how fast I read this book, I read this book in one day- I jus
Grace
Aug 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book but I found it extremely disappointing. One of the things that annoys me most in a book is contradictions in the story line and this made a big mistake early on and it annoyed me all the way through. The plot had more holes than a teabag.

I couldn't warm to any of the characters, the leads of Lurcan and Cara were particularly irritating. The general story itself while not original was vaguely promising but it just didn't hold together.

The story was inconsistent
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) by: goodchoicereadin@aol.com
Shelves: favorites
Nothing about this book I disliked!!! From the very beginning I was hooked to this book! I fell in love with every character and their personalities!!! I love discovering new authors and I am so happy I came across another series to add to my pile of books! The romance scenes in this book were perfect! It has action/love/Romance/mystery which is just about everything I look for in a book! A must read!
I've already read (listened) to most of the Dark Kings books and now I'm going to listen through the Dark Sword and Dark Warriors series. I know I'm not doing it in the right reading order but here we are :)

I'm loving this Dark World that Grant has created.
Stacie
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 3/4 "(HR) Highlander+(PNR) bound god= happy Stacie." Stars!

Very entertaining start to the series. On to the next one! I'm listening to the audiobooks.
Happy reading!
Lisa Jones
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this entire series! Love the Highlanders with a touch of paranormal.
Abby ~ Bringer of Chaos
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars ~ Rounded up due to unique backstory.

The backstory with the druids and Warriors really carried this book for me. I liked Cara. I had no issues with her, but I didn't love her. Worse, I didn't love Lucan. His limelight kept getting stolen by his brothers.

Overall, it was a decent start to a series. I'll keep reading because I need to know all about Fallon, Quinn, and Galen.
jD
Sometimes no matter how extensive the menu (to-read list), you just want a burger and fries (Highlanders!). Just as sure as most restaurants can pull off a decent burger, most romance authors that write these rough and tumbling historical figures do it with some level of competence. All I really needed was a kilt, heavy brogue, and some supernatural element along with a happy ending. What did I get? Only got one of three, but I still loved it. No kilts. No brogue other than an ‘aye’ and ‘donna’ ...more
Lauren
Dangerous Highlander
3 Stars

Lucan MacLeod and his brothers are one of a number of immortal Highland warriors cursed by Druids to house evil ancient Gods. The MacLeod brothers struggle against the demons inside them and have shut themselves away in the ruins of their family keep. When Cara, a young woman from the nearby village, stumbles across their refuge, she sets off a chain of events that ignites a fierce war between good and evil in which the MacLeods will have to conquer their fears in orde
Wendy Keel
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
DANGEROUS HIGHLANDER by Donna Grant is one of those books that you can't help but love. I completely fell in love with the characters, the setting, the story, all of it. The story is with me now and it's been a while since I read it. I'm so eager for book two FORBIDDEN HIGHLANDER.

I'm not sure if I can say why it's such a great read, the hero,Lucan, is hot, sexy, strong, deeply hurt, and will have you begging for your own Dangerous Highlander! Cara, the heroine is strong, and in some ways fragil
Megan (BookWifeReviews)
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
I wanted to re-read this whole series.. not just the Dark sword but all of them... but I forgot how much I disliked this first book. It was hard to get through to be honest. So I don't think I will be going back through these. None of them stand out enough for me to get through the bad ones. AT lease none that I can remember.... who knows though. I might get bored and do it anyways.

I didn't love it but I certainly did not hate it. I feel like it could have been a lot better. I just wasn't a huge
Darcy
This one was just ok for me. I wanted to know more about why the MacLeod brothers were targeted and how they were the first to revolt. The romance was so so, was more interested in seeing the brothers re-join the world and make a stand to fight.
ReadToBreathe
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded to 5 Stars

"Dangerous Highlander" is the story of Lucan and Cara.

Lucan and his two brothers lost their entire clan in a massacre because of a crazed foe who wants power to rule the world. She cursed them with a primeval god inside them but they were able to run away and hide in what left of their castle for many decades.

Cara spent her life with the nuns after she was found wondering the forest. Even though the clan she was with accepted her to live with them, she never felt that she
Vanessa *the Pixie Princess*
BR with the MacHalos!
We were looking for HR with kilts......that is not what we got, but I still enjoyed it. This reads more like PNR with a random kilt thrown in. It has magic, druids, (view spoiler) shifters, fangs, and magical creatures. It was good and it has potential, so I will be continuing, but if you are looking for a HR with kilts, this isn't it.
MsRomanticReads

This was my first book by Donna Grant, and I can't believe it took me this long to discover her amazing series. I love the paranormal aspect mixed in with scorching hot Highlanders. The background story of the MacLeod brothers sucked me right in. Not since Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers series have I feared a female villain this much. This first book promises a great ride into the world of Scotland steeped in mysticism, its Highlanders and a lot of magic.

Since witnessing the death of her parent
Dark Warrior series 2 34 Jul 16, 2013 08:03AM

• Shadows Strike (Immortal Guardians, #6)
  • Burning Dawn (Angels of the Dark, #3)
  • The Darkest Assassin (Lords of the Underworld, #14.6)
  • The Darkest King (Lords of the Underworld, #15)
  • Blade of Darkness (Immortal Guardians, #7)
  • Darkness Rises (Immortal Guardians, #4)
  • Night Unbound (Immortal Guardians, #5)
  • The Darkest Touch (Lords of the Underworld, #11)
  • Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians, #1)
  • In Still Darkness (Immortal Guardians, #3.5)
  • Night Reigns (Immortal Guardians, #2)
  • Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld, #10)
  • Highland Treasure (Highland Brides, #9)
  • Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1)
  • The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld, #12)
  • Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2)
Donna is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over a hundred novels. Her most popular series is the breathtaking Dark King (aka Dragon King) series featuring dragons, immortal Highlanders, and the Fae.

In addition to her novels, Donna has written short stories, novellas, and novelettes for digital-first and print release. She has been dubbed as giving the “paranormal genre a burst

Dark Sword (6 books)
  • Forbidden Highlander (Dark Sword, #2)
  • Wicked Highlander (Dark Sword, #3)
  • Untamed Highlander (Dark Sword, #4)
  • Shadow Highlander (Dark Sword, #5)
  • Darkest Highlander (Dark Sword, #6)