Start by marking “Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?” as Want to Read:
Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?

Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"How much weight will I gain--and how fast can I lose it?"
"Will my partner still want to have sex with me after watching the birth?"
"How do I handle the know-it-alls, judges, and Space Invaders?"
"Will I end up wearing Mom jeans forever?" People might tell you you're glowing, but you just feel like you're growing, and perhaps you're not liking--or even recognizing--the chan
Published October 1st 2009 by Health Communications

To ask other readers questions about Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?

Jody
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has cussing, which is great! And it has commentary from women of all ages...not just in the 20's. And if any of my friends are reading this: No, I am not pregnant. The amount of alcohol I've consumed this holiday season would make that a sad affair... ;)
Serene Juan
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not pregnant or anything, but this book did what so many other books out there don't address: the psychological repercussions of bodily changes that women will go through and how it can negatively impact women. It really calls for the need to acknowledge how women struggling with body image issues, eating disorders & a host of disordered eating will experience pregnancy and how they might and might not be able to cope. Not all women who "fear weight gain" are vain selfish pots. Some do h ...more
Kelsea Koenreich
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and definitely something I think every mom and mom to be should read!
Chloe
This book does a really good job of bringing to light some of the realistic fears and expectations women have about our bodies before, during and after pregnancy. There are a lot of references to research as well as different resources to seek help or community in a variety of different topics dealing with pregnancy and motherhood. The book is written by the authors but interspersed with real life women telling their stories about the given topic. It is a very quick and comforting read.
Minna
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, non-fiction
I enjoyed this book greatly. There is not a lot written, whether in books, articles, blog posts, etc, about this topic. What I have found so far takes a distinctly "shaming" tone, as in, Shame on the woman who is so vain/selfish/shallow/vapid/narcissistic/fill-in-the-blank as to have these feelings.
This book takes the opposite approach, acknowledging that these feelings are normal and need to be discussed or at least aired before you can try to reform your body image. I really appreciated this.
Louma (Pokidots)
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this was a nice book, and it prepares a pregnant woman for the reality that her body will change, in many different ways, some of which I hadn't thought of.

What I liked is that it repeats one important piece of advice, which is "not to look forward to going back," meaning that the goal for a pregnant woman shouldn't be to get her pre-pregnancy body back, but to learn to take care of her new self and her new body after giving birth.

What I didn't like is that it focuses a lot on how wome
Ciara
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
i expected this to be terrible, but it was actually really good! it's all about coping with changes to your body & attendant impact on body image during & after pregnancy. one of the authors is a former model who is blunt about the fact that she maintained her model body via a destructive eating disorder--& she theorizes that most working models probably engage in unhealthy behavior with food & weight maintenance...& magazines still airbrush their photos to make the women loo ...more
Tara
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
this book had great insights on how women can feel insecure about all the changes their body is going through for pregnancy. I loved how they had a chapter about the pressure to be like celebrities and get your pre baby body back instantly, and how you will never have a pre baby body again because you did have a baby! some of the chapters were targeted at women who have eating disorders and that didn't really apply to me, but I'm glad there is a book out there that addresses pregnancy body image ...more
Valerie
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Now, I am not expecting. I'll put that out there right now. But this book was fabulous and a great perspective for women, whether you have kids or not. It helps to look and feel about ourselves in a respectful way and not the way the media and society are forcing on us. Aside from the language, it would have been higher rated. Really enjoyed it. It is helping me in every day life to not scrutinize and criticize myself so much.
Mikhaela
May 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I have mixed feelings on this book. I love the premise--promoting healthy body image during and after pregnancy, skewering the dangerous obsession with having a celebrity-looking bod weeks after delivery--but feel it wasn't all that indepth and just skimmed the surface of the various topics covered.
Amy Richard
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm quoted in this book from the days in which I was involved in the mom blogging world!!!
Jo
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Anecdotal, funny, friendly. Good for thoughts on self-acceptance and what messages you pass on to your kids.
Veronica
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just got this in the mail and can't wait to dive in soon!!
Kellie
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good read about a healthy body image and pregnancy and motherhood. Especially if you are having a daughter. Important things to remember.
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend to anyone who is expecting from day one. The book is empowering, affirming and helps you deal with the amazing comments people think they can say to you and it be o.k.
Heather
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dare I say...life changing?
Andi
Dec 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: expectant mothers, new mothers
Recommended to Andi by: TLC Book Tours
An interesting, funny, thoughtful book on body issues that accompany pregnancy. Read for a blog tour and enjoyed this one very much.
Amy Richard
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jill  W
Mar 22, 2012
Lia
rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2016
Meredith
Oct 11, 2009
Cherie
Feb 18, 2017
Claire Mysko is a writer, media consultant, and the co-founder of Inside Beauty, a website and outreach program designed to give girls a healthy fashion and beauty reality check. She has served as the Assistant Director of Communications at Girls Inc., the Executive Editor of SmartGirl, and the Director of the American Anorexia Bulimia Association. Claire holds a master's degree in gender studies ...more
More about Claire Mysko...