Start by marking “Therefore Repent!” as Want to Read:
Therefore Repent!

Therefore Repent!

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  330 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
What if the religious right… are actually right? Without warning, multitudes of Christians float bodily up into the sky. For the immoral majority, life goes on pretty much as usual. Except that after the Rapture, magic works — for those willing to risk demonic mutations. And an angelic army appears to have been deployed to mop up the sinners. But through it all, outsid ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Insomniac Press

To ask other readers questions about Therefore Repent!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Therefore Repent!

Brad
I am so pissed off after reading Therefore Repent that I would love to spoil the hell out of the book for everyone and do it without putting on the spoiler (view spoiler) concealer.

It has a great concept.

It had beautiful pencils, some of the most beautiful I've seen.

It had cool ideas.

But it blew everything it had going for it by being nothing more than the beginning of a beginning with no middle or end. Too many threads, too many subplots, too much pro
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Interesting graphic novel of times after the rapture.
Excellent graphics. Just wished the story was as good as they were.
Elizabeth A
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, graphix
This graphic novel has such a fantastic premise: What if the religious right, are right? Once the Christians have floated bodily into the sky, life goes on pretty much as usual for the immoral majority, except that magic works, if you're willing to risk demonic mutations.

Unfortunately it does not deliver on that promise. The artwork is really great, but the story is way too convoluted, with too many sub plots that seem to lead nowhere in particular. It actually felt like I was reading an abridge
Daniel
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moody post-Apocalyptic fantasy that plays off of/reimagines tropes from Revelations. This is more or less right up my alley, given that I spent much of my early teenage years obsessed with Left Behind and other, more obscure Christian novels about the end of the world. (Also, UFOs. I watched a lot of Sightings in those days.) Revelations in this case gets all mixed up with '00s-era tropes, so there are angels prowling the world who look and act much like the American troops in Iraq, and George W ...more
Benjamin
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I go for just about anything post-apocalyptic or End of Days themed. So this has that going for it, which is pretty good in my book. I'll put up with a lot if the world has ended. It's also pretty imaginative. On the other hand, it's a little undercooked. The bit at the end is a pretty heinous Deus Ex Machina, which ultimately cheapens what had been, until then, an intriguing and mysterious version of the world.
Christy
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Excellent drawings, terrible story. I guess it was mildly interesting to read about a theoretical post-rapture, but that's it.
The ending didn't redeem the wandering of the rest of the book, in my opinion.
Lara
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
What an ugly book. To borrow a charming oft-repeated phrase from the text: "smells like ass".
John Sundman
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of comics and graphic novels
Recommended to John by: Jim Munroe -- I'm on his email list
Jim Munroe is a leading light in the do-it-yourself/self publishing universe. After getting bummed out by some less-than-thrilling experiences with the Big House who published his first, science-fictiony novel Flyboy Action Figure Comes With Gasmask, he set out to create a methodology and infrastructure for people (like me) who had decided to go the non-corporate, auteur/artist route. As a founder of AdBusters, Jim had strong culture-jamming experience and street cred upon which to build.

One re
Jon
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah. Didn’t enjoy this. Storyline was too convoluted, unclear who was who or which storyline was which. Pencils had potential to be nice, bigger format would’ve helped this. But as it stood on its own it made it look messy and unclear. Not worth the time it takes to read
jess
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, graphic-novels
This is a post-apocalyptic graphic novel with fascinating secondary characters and a flimsy grip on linear narrative. The story opens when Mummy & Raven arrive in post-Rapture Chicago. Half the population of the world has floated up into the sky during the Rapture, and the half "left behind" are negotiating their way through a mysterious, spooky, anarchist world. They are split into two groups - people who think they can commit enough good deeds to float away when a secondary rapture takes p ...more
Chibineko
I read this book at a local book market & almost bought it. Now I wish I had.

The premise of the book is that one day the Rapture occurs & much of the world's population was spirited up. Those that are left behind have discovered that magic does really exist, but with a price- anyone who uses it will eventually mutate into something otherworldy (usually demonic) looking. The ones left behind must also deal with the other odd problems of being left behind, such as finding places to stay,
Rebecca
"What if the religious right... are right? Once the Christians have floated bodily into the sky, life goes on pretty much as usual for the immoral majority... . except that magic works, if you're willing to risk demonic mutations." And also risk getting hunted down by the "angelic" army that seems to have been deployed to take out the "covenant breakers". Raven and Mummy, two lovers who live in this new world, find themselves smack in the middle of the mystery of what all these supernatural chan ...more
Elizabeth
So good, honestly so good. The artwork is gorgeous, the writing is spot on, just such an enjoyable read. And it's such an interesting concept, a post-rapture story. How the rapture represents the absolute proof of God's existence at the moment at which all possible relationship with him ceases, how and why people stay below, and how people can get used to almost anything as normal. I loved it. I think he gets the main characters and their interplay just right, and from that everything in the sto ...more
Thurston Hunger
First thanks Todd for loaning this to me.

Ultimately feels like a Star Trek episode that ends with the "duh da-da-duh da-duh da-da" sound, but goes through some darker, blurrier moment first. Both in story and in sketch. The main characters are intriguing but kept mysterious enough, masks become faces sometimes symbolically, sometimes more. It's a rambunctious flow of ideas, "she-mail" , cards for money and your talking dogs for free. Also it's kind of sad to think that dysfunctional relationship
Todd N
Aug 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graphic novel with a very interesting take on a post-rapture world where dogs talk and angels hunt down "breakers of the covenant" with semiautomatic weapons. Two performance artists -- one wearing a raven mask and one with a wandering eye in more ways than one -- settle down in Chicago where decent squats are easy to find because a large portion of the population have ascended to the heavens.

Great concept and great art marred by an abrupt ending with a little too much bodhisattva-en-machina. Th
Dustin Underwood
Great art - in a strait-forward modern comic book style though. Often interesting framing, but also often missing the shots that tie the action together,confusing me from time to time.

The story is half-hearted and amateur. It seems more of a nonsensical collections of small thoughts that fall under the umbrella of what a post rapture world would be like. Then, to top it off there's a random "what if the rapture really meant this" ending that, I guess, vaguely ties the story together. But it feel
Lisa
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My super awesome brother bought this for me from Mr. Munroe. It's signed and came with a t-shirt. I've always had a little trouble reading graphic novels and this one is no different. Although as I was telling brother earlier, most of Mr. Munroe's books are kind of like that at first because the worlds he creates have some pretty significant differences than the world we live in and he doesn't waste any time explaining it at the beginning, which is sort of cool. Carter, my brother, also told me ...more
Melanie
Hmmmm. What to say. This graphic novel wasn't exactly what I expected it to be, but I still enjoyed it. The artwork is beautiful and the characters interesting, though I found that none were really explored in detail. Lots of different plot concepts were touched upon but not elaborated on, which led to some frustration on my part.

I happened to read this graphic novel at the same time as I was reading N.K. Jemisin's The Broken Kingdoms, and I found the combination of the two to be quite interest
Tim
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like the artwork and I like the premise. My wife had already warned me it was a confusing story so I read it expecting to keep track of multiple threads as I went.

For a book that was mostly linear there were _so_ many subplots and so many unexplained ideas presented that the ending is abrupt.

But at the same time it was entertaining and holds promise. A sequel could possibly help. And I liked the dog. I'm simple that way.
J.
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I like Jim Munroe (you might remember I gave "Fly Boy Action Figure Comes With Gas Mask" a pretty good review), I think in the case of this novel, Salgood's artwork simply overpowers it. Sam's art is exquisite, here, though, and will keep you turning pages long after Munroe's writing has lost you (be aware, too, that the two main characters actually have their origin story in a different book, which was something I didn't discover until after I'd finished).
Eva Nickelson
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
I really liked the pencil drawings. The graphic style suited the story of a post-rapture world. The story started near the middle, hinted at an origin, and quickly ran through an explanation and end. I liked the idea of a sparser story, letting the reader fill in the rest, but for some reason, I felt like the snippets that the author choose were incoherent to a cohesive story. I still really enjoyed the idea and most of the characters.
Seth Kenlon
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story! this is a supremely unique and inventive and bold graphic novel the likes of which I don't believe I shall ever see again. The story's a post apocalyptic tale - quite literally, with angels roaming the street of the Earth, wearing combat helmets and bearing guns. Horrific, strange, and creative. Fantastic book. It's just one volume, too, so you can read it in one or two sittings and not have to invest in a whole series.
Ula
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were parts of the book where I got a bit lost. The art isn't as clear as it could be but it's an interesting premise and an ending I liked a lot. This is a post-"rapture" book where tons of people have floated into space while everyone that's left is figuring out the new world where magic works, dogs talk, and angels are gunning people down. Short and a fast read but the art could be a little better in some of the action pages.
Susan
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel depends heavily on the beautifully drawn graphics to tell the story - more so then most. The story itself leaves concepts and characters undeveloped and vague. It is really just a twist on the rapture that is presented like a punchline at the end. I would love to see a sequel where the core story and side characters are expanded on.
Kilean
Mar 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the style of the artwork and I was really getting into the story, and the characters, when it ended. I'm hoping there's another one in the works. If you're a fan of post-apocalyptic landscapes/settings, as a lot of people seem to be these days (go figure), this might interest you. Also fiddles with religion and mythology just a bit.
Peter N. Trinh
A different look at what may or could be the mysterious end-events of the Rapture. While I appreciate the freedom of direction that this story takes, not much of it is as provoking as I expected it to be, as much of it seems more bizarre than clever. While I appreciate reading it, I unfortunately do not see myself falling back onto it for another go.
David Blaylock
My first stab at reading a Graphic Novel. The plot twist at the end boosted my rating to "it was ok". I would have liked this better as a traditional novel. I need more exposition to flesh out a story enough to hold my attention.

I have not yet sworn off Graphic Novels, but one more like this will push me into the uninterested group of readers.
John Damaso
Chicago-based post-rapture story that -- for the dilettante graphic novel reader like me -- is challenging to follow. I read the PDF version and lost some of the effect of full spread viewing. Raven and The Mummy have backstories, I imagine, that would make their brother/sister-seeming relationship clearer. Premise itself makes it worth the read.
Nora
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous and brilliant. Funny and upsetting. Truer to graphic novel format than, say, Persepolis, which is written for those who don't typically read graphic novels, so this one can be a bit confusing at times. But it's GREAT. Post-Rapture Chicago, with lesbian street thugs, talking dogs, and an angel militia. Sweet.
Kate
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt the story was a little abrupt. It felt like it jumped ahead too much, and the reader was always one step behind. Still, I love the art, and will probably pick up the prequel, and any other books I can find.
  • Yu+Me: dream Volume 1
  • The Dead Boy Detectives
  • Gate 7, Volume 3 (Gate 7, #3)
  • In the Flesh: Stories
  • Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories
  • Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here
  • Finder, Vol. 01: Sin-Eater 1
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • Smut Peddler: 2012 Edition
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: False Memories (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #24 Buffy Season 5)
  • Give Me Liberty
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 2: Torn and Frayed
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel: Past Lives (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #21/Angel Comic #7 Buffy Season 4/ Angel Season 1)
  • Essential X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Black Metal Vol. 1: The Grim Return
  • Decimation: X-Men - The 198
  • Age of Bronze Volume 2: Sacrifice
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
Anarchist (Though as far as I can tell the non-violent type), Vegan, Dad. Jim Munroe is also a talented young author particularly notable for his novel "Flyboy Action Figure comes with Gasmask" and his indie DIY-leanings. See his website for more information, especially regarding those 'indie DIY-leanings' which he is particularly passionate about.