Start by marking “The Enemy Within (Warhammer)” as Want to Read:
The Enemy Within (Warhammer)

The Enemy Within (Warhammer)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The practice of magic is strictly controlled in the Empire, and rogue mages are ruthlessly hunted down by the witch hunters. An Imperial wizard is blackmailed into infiltrating a vile Chaos cult - if doesn't, he will be denounced as a heretic. Can he complete his assignment without being corrupted, and can he trust his tormentor to honour his part of the bargain?
Published June 26th 2007 by Black Library

To ask other readers questions about The Enemy Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enemy Within

Heather
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
My first foray into the Warhammer universe, bought on a whim at our local game shop when I discovered their veeery tiny little bookshelf. It's not awful, but it isn't good. Writing was fairly neat, fast-paced, not too full of flourish or unnecessary language. Story itself was thin, with cheap twists and intrigue thrown in to motivate the reader. Characters were awful and unlikable from the start. The women in this - the two that there are - are god awful stereotypes, the "caring mom" older woman ...more
Jim Thompson
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is terrible and wonderful at the same time. I give it four stars, not because it's good, but because it's exactly what it's supposed to be: silly, sloppy, pulpy fantasy set in the Warhammer world. Woo-hoo!
7ulian
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a surprisingly good book. It's the first book i've read from Warhammer and it's a stand-alone book (not part of a series), which is good.

The story had a decent speed and is well written. The surprise is in the great descriptions of the characters, one might expect one-dimensional stereotypes for a slash-and-bash kind of story, but all main characters have a well developed soul and opinion. There are a lot of references to the Warhammer universe; Some idea of what Tzeentch is may come in
Michael T Bradley
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Almost certainly Byers' best book. He really shines in the WHF world, and I'm sad he didn't do more (especially as this book ends in a ... "to be continued next episode!" fashion).

A lot of double crosses and twists and surprises, and it's one of those tales where our intrepid hero keeps getting dragged into further mindscrews and manipulations. With a dash of Tzeentch for good measure.

Ridiculously fun and a quick read.
Jack Volante
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What a crackin' read. This was a wonderfully written story that engaged me from beginning to end. As soon as I finished the book, I searched online to see if there was a sequel, but alas, no such luck.
A great story in the classic old world of Warhammer Fantasy. I really felt the struggles of the main character, as he walks a narrow line between damnation and... part salvation.

I couldn't recommend this book more if you're a fan of Warhammer/Tzeentch/Witch Hunters.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good story.
Shelves: dragonlance
This book deals with Wizards, Witch Hunters and Chaos Cultists (from the Father o Lies). I like the way Byers dealt with the plot and characters. He portrayed the evil doers humanly with good characterestics and vice-versa. Everything is grey. There is white and black but grey is the colour that engulfs us all.

The ending deals with fate and I am not saying much more but these book made me think and I like that. Fate exists? Or life is just a random turn of events.
Fabianje
Mark
May 26, 2014
Ryan
Jun 30, 2013
A resident of the Tampa Bay area, Richard spends much of his leisure time fencing, playing poker, shooting pool and is a frequent guest at Florida science-fiction conventions. His current projects include new novels set in the Forgotten Realms universe and the eBook post-apocalyptic superhero series The Impostor.
More about Richard Lee Byers...

Warhammer (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • Drachenfels (Warhammer) (The Vampire Genevieve, #1)
  • Genevieve Undead (Warhammer) (The Vampire Genevieve, #2)
  • Beasts in Velvet (Warhammer) (The Vampire Genevieve, #3)
  • Silver Nails (Warhammer) (The Vampire Genevieve, #4)
  • Witch Finder
  • Witch Killer
  • Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter
  • Dinero sangriento
  • Blood and Steel (Warhammer) (Brunner the Bounty Hunter, #2)
  • Blood of the Dragon (Warhammer) (Brunner the Bounty Hunter, #3)