Start by marking “Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief” as Want to Read:
Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief

Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief

The definitive guide to adaptogenic herbs, formerly known as “tonics,” that counter the effects of age and stress on the body

• Reveals how adaptogens increase the body’s resistance to adverse influences

• Provides a history of the use of these herbal remedies and the actions, properties, preparation, and dosage for each herb

We all deal with stress every day, and every da
Published March 22nd 2007 by Healing Arts Press

Start your review of Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
Sosanna Olson
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adaptogens - Guest Reviewer - Elijah Olson
Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief

Let's start by introducing the authors; David Winston, RH (AHG) , is a clinical herbalist and ethnobotanist with 50 years of training in Chinese, Western/Eclectic, and Southwestern herbal traditions. Steven Maimes has studied natural medicine for over 30 years. A researcher, freelance writer, and principle of SALAM Research.

The book has now been updated and expanded this year (2019) from its first edition in
Alicia Bayer
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource, though certainly not a pleasure read. It took me a long time to read it as I'd just read a bit at a time as a course of study rather than for pleasure and it is very academic in nature so it works well to read a little and really process it. Many of the herbs are Chinese and not many are ones easily found in the garden or the wild. Part of the reason for this is that our country does much less research on herbs so there aren't as many scientific studies on those readily avail ...more
Rich And
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book if you are looking to add adaptogens to your diet in order to get more out of your training and health.
Shannon
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellant book on herbal adaptogens or body modulators for the practiced herbalist.
Nicole
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pretty jazzed when I first started reading it, but it just felt like a lot of repetition after a while. It could have also used more visuals when talking about body systems so the terminology would be more comprehensible. Then there is information on each adaptogen, but I honestly think most of this can just be found online.

I feel bad rating it so low, because it has good information. I just didn't find it to be terribly useful myself.

Andrea
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well laid out to help learn the information over a couple of re-reads, yet simple enough to walk away with information after just the first chapter. Clear articles on the usage of common Adaptogens in TCM and Ayurveda along with a couple of recipes at the back to get you started.
Tedra
4.5 stars. Highly comprehensive reference tool for everything adaptogenic. Includes clinical data, case studies and recipes for incorporating adaptogens in food based on need. Definitely will continue to reference this text for study and application.
Amy Doeun
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbs
Totally engaging and readable yet very informative. Definitely information I can use in practice.
Danielle
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well researched. Can’t wait to try some of the recipes 😊
Lisa
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
more of a reference after the opening chapters
Aaron Zwirn
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Very informative and easy to approach. I learned a lot and am looking forward to trying these out!
FC
Mar 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: health-nutrition
Extremely informative on herbs. David Winston also has his own website. Notes on last page of book. Good reference to keep on shelf
Elisabet Corominas
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Next Superfoods in Modern Society. Worth reading.
Suzanne
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my go-to books that never seems to stay on the shelf long as it's always somewhere easy to reach. ...more
Suzanne
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Far and away the best book on adaptogens by one of the top herbalists in the world.
Megan
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Always amazed at how simple plants and herbs have been used since the dawn of time. Also how they can be just as powerful or more effective than modern medicine... In some instances.
Juniper
Feb 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • The Happy Puppy Handbook: Your Definitive Guide to Puppy Care and Early Training
  • How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond
  • The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation
  • A Wolf Called Romeo
  • Agility Right from the Start
  • Perfect Confidence: Overcoming Fear, Gaining Confidence and Achieving Success with Horses
  • Ask Monty: The 170 most common horse problems solved
  • Deadly Equines: The Shocking True Story of Meat-Eating and Murderous Horses
  • Fingers in the Sparkle Jar: A Memoir
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #6)
  • Mending Matters: Stitch, Patch, and Repair Your Favorite Denim & More
  • The Practice of Traditional Western Herbalism: Basic Doctrine, Energetics, and Classification
  • Herbs for Reducing Stress & Anxiety
  • I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse #5)
  • The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, Revised and Expanded: Over 800 Natural, Nontoxic, and Fragrant Recipes to Create Health, Beauty, and Safe Home and Work Environments

News & Interviews