Start by marking “Cruel Abandono” as Want to Read:
Cruel Abandono

Cruel Abandono

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  2,393 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
Numa noite de 1986, uma bebé recém-nascida é encontrada abandonada no aeroporto de Heathrow. Goradas as investigações, a criança é entregue às autoridades e posteriormente adoptada.

Passados quinze anos, a bebé, Kate, é já uma bela adolescente, aspirante a modelo, que decide procurar a mãe biológica.
Essa busca vai reunir três mulheres - Martha, Clio e Jocasta - que 16 anos
Published June 4th 2009 by Porto Editora (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cruel Abandono, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruel Abandono

Susan
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Why I didn't really like this book...

1. It could and should have been 300 pages. Instead, it dragged on for 627.

2. The author gives away important information early on in the book. Unless you are quite slow, you are going to know who the Mother and he Father of the abandoned baby are and you will be waiting rather impatiently for like 400 pages while the rest of the characters figure out what you already know.

3. I didn't like the writing style. The author jumps from character to character rathe
Dru
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Simply amazing. The whole book was just one huge adventure, never quite sure of what was next. It was truly a heartfelt book, with human flaws so clearly decipted, but instead of feeling horrified, you cannot help but feel pity and love for them. Instead of wanting to strike out at them, I just wanted to protect them with a hug, telling them that it all will be okay. Especially Kate.

I loved this book, and it was definitely not what I expected. Not by far, and frankly that's a good thing. Sometim
Bianca
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone with A LOT of time on their hands, perhaps someone in solitary confinement
Recommended to Bianca by: no one
This book should be retitled "The Never Ending Story"! Holy lord I thought it would never end. It wasn't necessarily BAD but it may have been a lot better as a movie. Lord knows it was long enough to be the actual script. In an approximately 620 page book, I didn't get into the story or anything that seemed fun to read until about page 420!!! Even the ending was disappointing. If I'm gonna read a book this long I want the ending to be wrapped up in a pretty little happy ending bow. No such luck. ...more
Vanessa
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I enjoyed this and would recommend it, but it wasn't quite as intense or riveting as the description let on. It was a good, solid read but was lengthy and more drawn out than I would have liked. I'm between 3.5 and 4 stars on this one.
Julia
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have liked the other couple of Penny Vincenzi books that I've read, but not this one. Overall, I felt like there was very little plot and the book (626 pages) has about 300 pages too long. I got really annoyed with the constant switching back and forth between characters. Sometimes you'd only read a paragraph before moving on to the next character. I also didn't really buy the character development, especially Clio and Jocasta. And if I had to hear Kate say "cool" one more time, I was going to ...more
Jess Chambers
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sex, politics and a devastating secret … Penny combines these elements with the search of a sixteen-year-old girl for her birth mother, resulting in a novel that is both intoxicating and deeply moving. This is the story of three very different women—prickly, independent Martha, impulsive, fun-loving Jocasta and sweet, self-effacing Clio—who meet by chance at eighteen as they’re about to embark on several months travelling, and how, seventeen years later, their paths cross under extraordinary cir ...more
Shari
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall this was an okay book. But it was much too long. At around page 150 you can easily guess who the mother and father are. Unfortunately, I just didn't care after that and that made for a very long read.
eb
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two people who make life worth living: Nette and Penny Vincenzi. The former introduced me to the latter, and thank God, because a beach isn't a beach unless you're sitting on it with a deliriously trashy PV tome in hand.
Claire Vella
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit dragging - especially at the beginning. I think it would have done without all that political talk. But then once the story began to form, it was much better.
Mom Taxi Julie
Oct 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm putting this on my "read" shelf since I don't have a "it was too boring and I couldn't stand it so I gave up shelf"
Charley Girl
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is about three teenage girls (Martha, Jocasta and Clio) that happen to be traveling in the same circle, establish a relationship and travel together for a bit and how their lives turn out.

Clio is a doctor and in an unhappy marriage. Ugh.
Martha is a successful lawyer, a bit unemotional on the outside and nabs a hot younger man.
Jocasta is a reporter with a commitment-phobe boyfriend.

Kate makes her entrance onto the scene...she was born at an airport and left by her mother. It is interest
Julie Haigh
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Julie by: Read loads of Penny's books already
SHEER ABANDON - OF ALL YOUR HOUSEWORK!!!!!!!

I have seen a lot of negative reviews of this novel and felt I just had to review it to redress the balance. I have read every Penny Vincenzi book right from her brilliant first novel OLD SINS and this book did not disappoint either. I have recently read a few books that didn't seem up to my normal standard and become a bit bored and so I really needed something good to get my teeth into. I bought this book and, as I usually do just before I start a bo
Joanne
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2015
I enjoyed this book and first time read by this author, but I thought even the storyline outlined in the jacket cover it would be a little more intense. Maybe it was the British reserve of the author.

After a gap year trip, one of the three main characters (Jocosta, Clio and Martha) gives birth in the London airport to a baby named Bianca. Sixteen years later the three meet again by chance and the beautiful young woman is searching out her birth mother. All have careers and liaisons of some sort.
Alyson Coffman
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book! It took me a little time to get into it, but after the first bit I couldn't put it down. There are quite a few characters, and I admit I was referencing the character list at the begining of the book. But, Vincenzi brought all of the characters to life. The plot twists were great and usually unexpected. I really liked her overall approach and the way it as written, especially how the reader knew a baby was abandoned, but it was unclear which character had abandoned th ...more
Abigail
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Holy mother of Moses, this book was too long. As I'm sure most people did, I figured out Kate's parentage in the first few chapters and spent the rest of the book feeling thoroughly annoyed at the fact that the author insults the intelligence of her readers by acting as though her plot isn't terribly transparent for another 500 pages.

I give this book more than just one star because I did appreciate her skills at developing characters that readers can identify with.

Other than that, don't waste yo
Doreen Dooley
I wish I could say that this book brought me joy to read but no . The first three chapters started well, going from Kate to Martha, Clio and Jocasta finding out who they were and the main story line , who was Kate's real mum. Then it went down hill as we went through back stories and present day problems. I think the main problem with this book was the 632 pages, way too long it would have made a brilliant book under 350 pages as you lost interest half way through as the story was not entertaini ...more
Kathy Meyer
This novel was more difficult for me to get into (I probably would have given this a 2.5 star rating if possible). It could have been the political arena that it was based in as I have no interest in politics. The characters were difficult to grasp at first but once I figured out everyone's role in the story then I had begun to 'enjoy' it more. When he big secret is revealed (I was able to figure it out before hand), I began to wonder how the author would tie it all together for the ending. I wa ...more
Tiffany
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A long read for what amounts to not too much plot. It seemed like the twists and turns were there often just to provide more reading hours and prevent you from getting the answers the main mystery which was laid out in the first few pages. You, the reader, put the clues together very early and then it's just a frustrating wait to find out how the characters unfold the truth you've known for pages. After 600+ pages, you'd think the ending would be a bit more realistic, but then again, it is just ...more
Stina
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Karla
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
I had high hopes for this book. I really enjoyed the author's Lytton family trilogy. I found most of the characters in this book both unbelievable and unlikeable and the plot was disappointingly predictable.
I read novels
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story of Sheer Abandon had me in tears. One thing for sure about Penny is when she writes a book she does give vaule for money by giving a story of plenty of pages to read. I have read lots of Penny Vincenzi books.
Tom Scanlan
there's coincidence and then there' contrivence.... then you can foresee whats coming next.this is definitely a romantic novel . way too much fluff for my taste.
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The never ending book ... the pages surely could have been cut in half and nothing would have been lost from the book!
Chloe
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glittering
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few yeas ago and enjoyed it. I might have to read it again to refresh my memory. but she writes well and I have a lot of her other books to read.
Theresa
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Good book, slightly dumb plot lines.
Dana Kaechele
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.

I read this book because I'm adopted. It was good in that sense. The book has lots of depth and unpredictable parts.
Terri Colangelo
Rated 5.5 out of 10
Sahar
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
great but lengthy...
Chanda
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Penny Vincenzi's Spoils of Time trilogy so I was excited to begin another of her novels. I can't decide if I would have been better off to read this one before the trilogy or if I would have skipped Spoils of Time if I read this one first...

Sheer Abandon is mostly engaging and enjoyable but it was nowhere near as entrancing as the Spoils of Time for me so I was slightly let down. The story really picks up through the middle after a slow start but it seems to drag at the end. I
  • A Lesser Evil
  • Honeycote (Honeycote, #1)
  • Two For Joy
  • Rsvp
  • Filthy Rich
  • Au Revoir Liverpool
  • Tell Me Why
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • A Future Arrived (Passing Bells, #3)
  • White
  • Once In A Lifetime
  • Voyage of Innocence
  • Airs and Graces
  • A WAG Abroad (WAGs Diary, #2)
  • The Sisters Mortland
  • Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)
I'm currently taking part in a Q&A Group here on Goodreads to discuss my latest novel, Sheer Abandon . To post questions, please visit: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4.... I look forward to an active discussion together.

I was nine years old when I embarked on my storytelling career. I wrote my own magazine called “Stories”, which I copied out three times on carbon paper and sold for two
More about Penny Vincenzi...